[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malick Filmography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Terry.jpg (48 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
Terry.jpg
48 KB, 620x413
Hey there fa/tv/irgins, how do I into Terrence Malick? With "Knight of Cups" available now, it's incentive enough for me to stop putting it off and actually start watching his films. I'm pretty sure I saw "The Thin Red Line" when I was a kid, but I don't really remember it.

So, where is a good place to begin? I was thinking of starting with "The Thin Red Line", then retty much going in chronological order. But looking at his filmography, I see there are quite a few films which he wrote but did not direct. So I was going to ski these and just go for the ones which he wrote/directed. Any advice from Malick fags?
>>
Thin Red Line is a pretty good place to start. It applies Malick's unique style to an engaging story in a "familiar" genre. You'd find things to like here, even if you end up hating Malick's style.

Badlands is a good movie, but not really a great indication of Malick's style.

Love it or hate it, Tree of Life is his "masterpiece," and the purest example of what Malick is trying to do as a filmmaker.

Days of Heaven is just great, and this would be a good place to start, too.

The New World is very good, and To the Wonder has its good parts, but I wouldn't really recommend either of them to a newcomer. If you really like his style, you'll like these. But even as a fan, I'd have to be in a very patient mood to re-watch either of them.

I haven't seen Knight of Cups yet, I've heard it's good but not one of his best
>>
>>64349332

Badlands
Thin Red Line
The New World
Days Of Heaven
Tree Of Life

Skip To The Blunder
Watch Knight Of Cups baked on some high grade shit or drunk.
>>
File: Malick BTS Badlands (1).jpg (177 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
Malick BTS Badlands (1).jpg
177 KB, 1920x1040
>>64349332
>So, where is a good place to begin?
At the beginning.

Chronological order to follow his evolution. He started as a mainstream filmmaker then started experimenting more and more with editing, scriptless improv, removing narrative, etc. with may or may not alienate you at some point. There is also a dialog between all of his flicks and a lot of repetitive elements, like a musician playing the same song but with variations.

Now, begin.
>>
I'd go:

New World
Days of Heaven
Thin Red Line
Tree of Life
Badlands
To the Wonder
Knight of Cups
>>
>>64349610
>There is also a dialog between all of his flicks and a lot of repetitive elements

I had heard this, which is why I asked. So, should I watch the ones he only wrote, or skip them in favor of his directorial works?
>>
File: Feel not found.jpg (40 KB, 598x391) Image search: [Google]
Feel not found.jpg
40 KB, 598x391
Goddamnit. OP here. Unfortunately, I can not download movies, I can only stream them, and I can't find a stream of The Thin Red Line, which is definitely where I want to start. So I'm fucked unless some kind anon can link me to a working stream.
>>
>>64349963
putlocker you fuckhead
>>
>>64349963

Hey OP, based on this and the original post, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>64349838
Just watch his directorial works, they are personal films, his thoughts on life, love, vice & virtue.

He was just a young guy in Hollywood working on whatever he could find and didn't write much anyway. Knight of Cups is partially based on his early Hollywood experiences actually. Then he disappeared in France for like twenty years, taught philosophy, worked as a journalist, wrote an unproduced play, etc. he did a lot of things.

Dirty Harry 2 is still a pretty good crime film but it was written by many people, Cimino, Milius, it had a complicated production history.
>>
>>64350075
I couldn't find a working link :(

>>64350086
I'm not retarded, I'm just older and extremely poor and have spent the majority of my life without the internet. I have never owned a PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone. Sorry.

But anyway, I found a working link.
>>
>ITT we pretend movies we pretended to watch
>>
>>64350174

P L o c k e r

my mane
>>
>>64350147
Thanks, friendo.
>>
>>64350198
Go back to your Star Wars threads, kiddo.
>>
>>64350224
I agree; Star Wars is kid cancer
>>
File: Bob.jpg (138 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
Bob.jpg
138 KB, 540x720
>>64350202
I found a link that works. But I tried a p locker link and it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong. Thanks.
>>
Chronological
>>
>>64350471
htt p:// putlo cker .is/watch- the -thin-red- line-o nline -free- putlo cker .html

just delete the spaces senpai
>>
>>64349332
Badlands, days of heaven, thin red line and tree of life
That's how I got into him and eventually watched to the wonder and the new world.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.