[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /tv/! JJ Abrams here. I heard you were talking shit about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: jj-abrams1.jpg (762 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
jj-abrams1.jpg
762 KB, 3000x2000
Hi /tv/! JJ Abrams here. I heard you were talking shit about my new movie, so I’m just going to clarify a few things that you may have missed. I’m under the impression that many of you came in to my film looking for a fight and tried to nitpick any little thing before actually paying attention, so it may have clouded your judgement and thrown you on an autism rampage.

>Why does Finn all of a sudden turn?
This is his first time in combat, and they execute innocent villagers for no reason at all. It is his own moral intuition that he doesn’t want to be a part of this because he knows it’s evil. k maybe he cracked a few eggs leaving the base… I’m sorry that you’re so offended that he would kill stormtroopers. Marvel softened you the fuck up, actually believing that there are no casualties in their mass city destructions, but yes shit happens.

>Why does Rey dominate Kylo Ren in the lightsaber duel?
Kylo had been shot by Chewbaccas bowcaster. Remember when Han used it and took out like 5 guys with it? I didn’t add that scene just to see bow casters. Also, reminder that he is still training, so his fighting skills and attitude is unstable. (Hints could be at his lightsaber behaving strangely, or the fact that Snoke clearly fucking mentions it).
Rey is also losing the fight early on until the force awakens within her. “”The Force Awakens”” within Rey, it’s the literal title of the episode.
>>
>Why is Rey such a Mary Sue
I like how when making comparisons with Luke, you contrarians conveniently left out his piloting skills. A farm boy being able to fly an X-Wing and destroying a Death Star in less than a few days, and all it took for you to believe this was for him to say “He used to bullseye womp rats on his T-16 back home.” Like, literally, none of you know what a fucking womp rat or T-16 is, but everyone was OKAY I’ll roll with it lmao.

>How comes there’s no new things?
There’s plenty of new aliens and droids in the film! However as I’ve stated in many interviewers, my main concern wasn’t to make a 2-hour toy commercial, it was to tell the continuing story of Star Wars with new characters.

That's it for now, I'll leave responding duties to my assistant should any questions come up.
>>
>jj abrams
> /tv/

kek
>>
>>64279508
>>64279563
thank you mr based chosen people man
>>
>>64279563
>I like how when making comparisons with Luke, you contrarians conveniently left out his piloting skills. A farm boy being able to fly an X-Wing and destroying a Death Star in less than a few days, and all it took for you to believe this was for him to say “He used to bullseye womp rats on his T-16 back home.” Like, literally, none of you know what a fucking womp rat or T-16 is, but everyone was OKAY I’ll roll with it lmao.
I like how when presenting your false dichotomy, you ignore why her being such a fucking Mary Sue is an issue in the first place. It's because it makes the other characters pointless and the story (of both this movie and where the following ones can go) significantly worse.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-12-29/-the-force-awakens-has-a-perfection-problem
>>
>>64279777

sjw's getting btfo hard if king sjw bloomberg is even calling rey a mary sue in his propaganda.
>>
>>64279508
>Why does Finn all of a sudden turn?
>This is his first time in combat

His year-long training and conditioning since childhood to become a disposable, loyal and willing instrument of the FO must have been really strange.
>>
>>64279777

Luke lived in a farm with his aunt and uncle, protected and comfy.

Rey lived in a junkyard planet fighting for scraps.

Which one of these could hold their own in a fight IRL?
>>
>>64281005
Luke. Reasons;

First of all he's a guy.
Second of all his desire to leave was strong, he even stated he wanted to leave but they were goinv to keep him there
Third luke obviously knew about fighting sand people and even had a rifle

As for the previous shit about womp rats and t-16 it doesnt matter, at least there was context there was no context in the new ones for rey, therefore sorry to btfo you but luke would destroy ray, its fate
>>
File: T16skyhopper_negvv.jpg (406 KB, 1028x1300) Image search: [Google]
T16skyhopper_negvv.jpg
406 KB, 1028x1300
>>64279563
This is a T-16
I just watched ANH last night and it's mentioned by Obi Wan and Luke himself that he's a good pilot
>>
>>64281999
Also when doing the trench run Luke tells Biggs and Wedge to go full speed to avoid the guns, Biggs gets nervous about going that fast in a confined space and Luke replies "it'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home"

This establishes he has experience flying in confined spaces
>>
people just say she's a mary sue because they can't deal with the fuck luke and anakin lost their first duels while she won hers without even losing an arm

just face it nerds Rey is stronger than anakin
>>
>>64281884
>>64281999
>>64282124
BTFO
T
F
O

Jar Jew Abrahiem trying to look clever but getting reeekt
>>
>>64282231
She only won because he was injured, also she ran like a bitch the whole time, i just dont buy it she won, she would have got beheaded but they let her live for mary sue reasons
>>
>>64281999

But it's also mentioned that Rey is a good pilot as well, and implied she studied flight simulations in the junk recovered.

Just because she's a girl everything is void tho, right?
>>
>>64282905

Luke wasn't able to take on Vader in his first movie though
>>
don't tell me you guys believe that it's really Jar Jar Abrams posting
>>
>>64279563

There is one thing ONE THING Luke was good at in the IV that was constantly said throughout the entire movie. They all said he was a good flyer and he was pretty much only getting in the way until he got his time to shine. As final climax he and all his friends TOGETHER take down the Death Star with him delivering the final blow and Han Solo returning last second saving his ass from being fried by Vader. He didn't just close his eyes and send Vader flying. And it's not like he was treated like some flight prodigy that swooned everyone with his amazing flighting skillz. He actually had to take the backseat and literally was the last straw the rebellion was holding onto because all the good piltos were shot down by Vader. And Luke would've suffered the same fate, if again, Han didn't return and save him. It's called build up, climax and reward. Rey had none of that. Her abilities just magically appear to her without any plot or character progression and any conflict in the movie gets resolved by her Sue abilities.

No one EVER called Luke a Mary Sue before Rey and that's because he isn't one. If you need to go "but X did this and that too and it was also amazing, why are you hating it when Sue does it?" without realizing why people think it's cool when X does it and how and why it fits into THEIR movie you likely got a too perfect character to be real that stands out like a sore thumb from her movie.
>>
>>64283321
All exactly right.

And then of course people say "B-But Anakin was a Mary Sue," and yes, he was, that was one of the shitty things about the prequels, which are BAD MOVIES.
>>
>>64282905

But it doesn't just end with Rey being a good flyer with a ship that actually needs a co pilot and pulling crazy maneuvers out her ass.
She proceeds to also know just as much as Han Solo himself about the Falcon (even despite claiming she doesn't know what it is) and that makes Han Solo fall in love with her immediately trying to make her second in command (Totally out of character for Han. His ship is his pride. Remember when C3PO tried to give Han tips on how to fix the Falcon?)
In comparison, Luke was established as a good pilot, yet STILL got in Han's way when they escaped Tatooine, because he doesn't know how the fuck the Falcon works, proving that they actually needed Han. Now if Luke was Mary Sue, they would've ditched Han and Luke would just taken the Falcon and proven how awesome of a flyer he is by escaping Tatooine himself. But he didn't because their escape scene proved that it's impossible for someone who doesn't know the Falcon to fly it.
In general Mary Sue proceeds to be loved by everybody unreasonably. Han immediately wants to father her and offers her a job, Chewbacca loves her despite never even having interacted with her and Chewbacca hates people. Leia loves her because. Maz loves her because. Finn loves her because she's so beautiful. Every villain is obsessed with her. Ren because she talked to the droid. Snoke because Ren said she was good with the force. It's your typical Mary Sue shit that makes her incredibly grating. The entire universe revolves around her and her personality and that every likable character needs to like her and that every unlikable character needs to hate her are universe rules, not something that happens naturally.
Then don't even get me started on her immediately learning how to use guns and killing a bunch of Storm Troopers while still needing to learn how aiming actually works. her using some Jedi Master level mind tricks without anybody teaching her and her not even believing in it hours before
>>
Just saw it last night and yes Rey ended up being a Mary Sue, but perhaps it is intentional?

One thing that stuck out to me quickly was how she was able to understand the language of any being or robot she talked to. With the other characters and in the past ones, only clearly some characters knew some other languages depending on their background (Han knew Wookie and other related alien languages of thugs he dealt with, C3P0 obviously knows every language as its his function and is used to translate for the main characters, etc). In TFA I remember some could understand BB8 while some couldn't while most understood Chewy but some didn't but always Rey could understand everyone. There are dialogue moments that highlight this difference a few times, like with Finn Rey and BB8 on the Falcon.

Its possible JJ is just that much of a hackfraud but I don't know if they REALLY would leave such an odd oversight on top of her other seemingly perfect qualities. Also the fact that she has a mysterious past, and they didn't immediately reveal at the end she is Lukes daughter (despite how obvious and logical it would be) makes we wonder if there is more to her than we are expecting, and her flawlessness in TFA might connect to that.
>>
>>64283602

And don't get me started on her holding her own in a Lightsaber fight right after picking one up for the first time against a guy who can actually use the force and is trained in sword combat and then overpowering him by closing her eyes.

There is nothing wrong with wishfullfilment stories and self insert characters. That's why we create stories, so we can lose ourselves into them. The problem with Mary Sues is that they are extremely poorly done wishfullfillment characters that just make no sense. You can't indentify with them or root for them or even get invested in them, because they are just highly unlogical and shit on everything established in the universe with the purpose of making her look cool.
>>
>>64283401
>The prequels are BAD MOVIES meme!
Time to go back to reddit, kiddo
>>
>>64279508
JJ posting should have been the equivalent of Todd posting on /v/. Such a missed opportunity.
>>
>>64283713
>Also the fact that she has a mysterious past, and they didn't immediately reveal at the end she is Lukes daughter

Knowing Abrams we might even never get to know Rey's past, because "lol mysteries stop being mysteries if you resolve them xD" (Actually his philosphy and why Lost was so shit)
>>
>>64283321

Of course people fucking love and are going to defend Rey though. They're just narcissistic enough to think they can relate to a character who has no discernable flaws or significant faults at all. That's how people view themselves in their heads so that's who they want to see on the big screen. Why do you think super hero movies are so fucking popular?
>>
>>64279508
>Kylo had been shot by Chewbaccas bowcaster.

So how did he manage to follow and find Rey and Finn?
Also, if he's not good with a 'saber, how did he deflect Rey's blaster shots?
>>
>>64281005

Using a lightsaber they'd barely, or ever, used before? Neither.
>>
>>64283834
True but is JJ isn't directing the next two and I don't think he is writing them either. Obviously his creative influence will linger but I think they won't just pull a Lost on something like Star Wars.
>>
>>64284484

She was pretty good with that giant stick
>>
>>64284560

A weapon with completely different weight/balance, where you have to account for resistance when it touches something.
One-handed, not two. She's only ever fought local nobody thugs before. It doesn't compare at all. Fighting off a couple of stormtroopers, I'd have bought.
>>
97% of the faggots here didn't even know what Mary Sue means until people started using it to describe Rey. And of those 97%, 85% of them don't even have an accurate definition of it. They just like saying it now because it makes them feel like they know shit about the film industry, so they find other characters to call Mary Sue even though they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>64285087

Why do people claim this? How can anyone in this day and age believe that nobody knows what a Mary Sue is? Fuck off. You just need to type Mary Sue into google, click on the wikipedia article and you got the plot summary of TFA
>>
>>64285307
You must be one of the 97% that anon was referring to. Kill yourself.
>>
>>64285398

Let's pretend you're right. Let's pretend Mary Sue was a term that was never ever used before until the new Star Wars movie hit and that nobody on the internet has access to the internet. Let's pretend Mary Sue was an obscure word that just somebody happened to pick up from a Star Trek fanfiction and was never used to describe any character ever and somehow started spreading on /tv/ the first time after TFA was released.

How is that a defense of Rey at all? She's is still an overly competent wishfullfillment character that swoones everyone to the point everyone acts out of character just to show how much they love Rey. Rey still saves the day by being incredibly talented at just everything and just is the solution to any problem ever. Rey still has no personality whatsoever and only acts the way she does because that's how a perfect character act. She still would save some random robot for no reason although she's a fucking scavenger that LIVES on selling robot parts. She still would help out the Resistance although she has absolutely no reason to and although she actually just wants go back to her planet and doesn't even have anything to do with any of this shit. She still would free herself from being kidnapped by suddenly learning Jedi Master mind tricks. She still would defeat a Sith Acolyte by closing picking up a Light Saber for the first time and overpowering by closing her eyes for 5 seconds. She still would be an empty character that has absolutely nothing interesting going for her except that she's perfect at everything.
>>
>>64279777
that's more of a red herring t b h f a m

nice trips btw
>>
>>64285720
I agree with your second paragraph. But the anon your replying to is right. Almost all the Mary Sue accusations I've seen on here (excluding the Rey is a Mary Sue claim) have just been straight up retarded.

>inb4 "what other characters have you seen called Mary Sue
Anakin (lol), Han (kek), Luke (KEK), Darth Maul (ultra kek), Poe (SUPREME FUCKING KEK), and some other, not Star Wars characters. And no, I'm not making any of that up.
>>
>>64286079

Yeah coming from that perspective those are retarded.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.