[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Expanse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: expanse.jpg (9 KB, 198x254) Image search: [Google]
expanse.jpg
9 KB, 198x254
The most intelligent scifi show I think I've ever seen. Space ships with real physics, realpolitik between interplanetary governments, engaging and sometimes deeply flawed characters. Space battles! Mystery! Beautiful set design and sfx (I mean absolutely stunning and believable)!

Why isn't tv talking about The Expanse?
>>
and immediately buried under 8 gajillion star wars threads. what a shit board.
>>
>>64219058
>realpolitik between interplanetary governments
But the intrigue is fucking terrible.
>>
>>64219297
>>64219297
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

Really?

I though the bit where evil UN India lady leaks false classified information to get a tell from the opposition was actually pretty intelligent. Plus, she managed to change her position on the "evil martians did it," given the new evidence which seems pretty ballsy given how entrenched her position is. Also, weren't you totally believing the martians blew up the ice carrier until evidence proved otherwise? Even when the Martian commander was proclaiming her innocence I thought it was bullshit until the last minute.
>>
Tom Jane looked stupid in that fedora. The pilot was a drag. Haven't watched any more yet. Needed more color I could hardly seee shit.
>>
>>64219476
>Earth and Mars are mostly at odds
>Earth's Ambassador to Mars, having the ability to reach out to, what should be highest level of confidentiality, secret facilities in charge of creating Mar's key technological advantage
Yes, this is really an intelligent and plausible situation.
>>
>>64219240
Instead of complaining about your shitty viral marketing taking a backseat to star wars jewgasm, maybe you should focus on starting a thread that actually poses interesting questions instead of "hurr why isn't /tv/ talking about x" or "thoughts?"
>>
>>64219058
>series
Disgusting
>>
>syfy
>>
File: autism matters.jpg (46 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
autism matters.jpg
46 KB, 599x337
>>64219871
>Earth's Ambassador to Mars, having the ability to reach out to, what should be highest level of confidentiality, secret facilities in charge of creating Mar's key technological advantage
He didn't reach out to the secret facilities. He reached out to the Martian government.
>>
>>64219240
Fucking this, I came to /tv/ to see if anyone is hyped for the new episode tomorrow, and I had to scroll past dozens of Starshit threads to find this (and I like Star Wars, too). Fucking hell

>>64219297
>>64219871
literal retard, see this guy >>64219476, >>64220586

>>64219854
>Tom Jane looked stupid in that fedora.
That's what his book character wears, it's an intentional rebellion against his poor Belter background
>Needed more color I could hardly seee shit.
I will give you this, the sound mixing can be fucking sketch sometimes too

>>64220046
Not that guy, but I'll bite. If you've read the books, what do you think of the deviations between the books and show?

>>64220318
I had the same opinion at first, but I was pleasantly surprised. I think they might actually be able to turn themselves around with this one, The Expanse has been really cool so far
>>
>>64219854
To be fair, the actor playing Fedora Cop actually has a sufficiently thin, scraggly face to pull it off. it still looks stupid and out of place, but it's supposed to and other characters give him grief for it
>>
>>64219058
>Space ships with real physics
>Space battles
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, do you?
Realism and space battles can't be used in same sentence without it being an oxymoron.
>>
I want subtitles for the slanguage and to punch the acting xo in the face
>>
I cant wait to see who they cast for Bobbie Draper
>>
>>64221887
He didn't say realism though, you reactionary cunt.
He said real physics.
>>
>>64221950
Real physics implies realism you dumb shit.
Space battles can't exist with consideration for real life physics because there's more than just "SEND THE FIGHTERS!" and pew pew lasers going on.
>>
>>64221999
No it implies naturalism.
And accurate physics.
Are you now going to convince me that we don't know the physics behind basic space travel?
>>
>>64221999
>Real physics implies realism you dumb shit.
Not that guy, but it LITERALLY does not. There are no "fighters" or "lasers" or anything you'd see in Starshit. It's thought out and rational and conforms to actual fucking physics. I get the feeling that you haven't watched a single episode, which automatically disqualifies you from having an opinion
>>
>>64221345
>Fucking this, I came to /tv/ to see if anyone is hyped for the new episode tomorrow
Nobody's hyped for the episode tomorrow because it's not new, and we've all seen it.
Come back Jan 5th and we can argue how much we'd like an indian dominatrix granny.
>>
>>64222061
>And accurate physics.
Which implies you can't do space battles.
Do you know what distances and speeds are even required for an interplanetary orbit, much less for an Earth orbit?
It's not possible to have a space battle unless you throw physics out of the window and add future space magic such as unrealistically strong propulsion, magic space object detector and insanely strong computers which do all vector and combat calculations.
>>
>>64222112
It was just an example you autist. You can't have space battles IRL nor I think it will ever be possible outside of maybe space station boardings and skirmishes around semi-linear objects such as orbital bomber shuttles.
>>
>>64222174
>>64222131
Kill yourself. You are objectively wrong.
>>
>>64222131
>add future space magic such as unrealistically strong propulsion
Excuse, mr Kerbal Space Program, MD, but you should really watch the fucking show before you run your mouth like an idiot. What it presents is probably the, most logical approximation of what space combat might look like in 500-ish years that's made it to film.
>>
>>64219058
>Started watching
>200 years in future
>people still dress the same and their physical surroundings and arrangement is similar to ours.
>dropped
>>
>>64222121
Oh fuck you're totally right, my B
>>
>>64222193
Prove that you can indeed have space battles then you faggot.
It takes dozens of men, computers, hours of work and DAYS of waiting just to get a shitty probe on an asteroid, that's moving completely linearly. At constant speed.

How do you plan on having space battles on thousands upon thousands of kilometers of distance around no space object in particular, at breakneck speeds, when both pilots are conscious, not asleep, and their ships are functional?
>>
File: NO SURVIVORSH.png (248 KB, 570x575) Image search: [Google]
NO SURVIVORSH.png
248 KB, 570x575
>>64222258
Unlike you I wasn't asleep on physics classes.
>>
>>64222282
Okay.
Fighter jets can hit eachother with missiles.
There.
>>
>>64222174
>heat seeking tech doesn't exist
>railguns don't exist
>miniguns don't exist
>aerial combat countermeasures don't exist
Really, you are redefining science to 15th century standards as we speak. But really, enough feeding the twat that doesn't actually know what he's discussing.
>>
OP you should try to not sound so much like a huge shill next time
faggot
>>
>>64222318
Right, you just didn't take any.
>>
>>64222131
>strong propulsion
What is a fusion-based propulsion system

>magic space object detector
What is an omni-directional sensor suite comprised of a combination ladar, radar, and other mediums

>insanely strong computers which do all vector and combat calculations
What is Moore's Law times 200 years, plus quantum computing and advances we haven't even thought of yet

God, the fucking people I share this board with...
>>
>>64222325
Fighter jets don't engage from light seconds away, though.
>>
>>64222282
>It takes dozens of men, computers, hours of work and DAYS of waiting just to get a shitty probe on an asteroid, that's moving completely linearly. At constant speed.
That's today, with our caveman-tier understanding of space-tech

>How do you plan on having space battles on thousands upon thousands of kilometers of distance around no space object in particular, at breakneck speeds, when both pilots are conscious, not asleep, and their ships are functional?
I can't believe I actually read this sentence. Confirmed for not only having not watched a single episode of this show, but also having never picked up any book or piece of fiction that delves into the problems of combat in space and tries to answer those concerns that you brought up realistically. Go back to posting on Starshit threads and pulling out your old high school physics notes that you probably barely understood anyway
>>
>>64222478
>moving the goalposts this hard
At what point did that become relevant to space battles in general?
>>
Just read the book
>>
>>64222325
>>64222343
>heat seekers
>railguns
>miniguns
>FUCKING FIGHTER JETS
>ATMOSPHERIC FUCKING FIGHTERS
>IN SPACE
ASRAAM maximum range is 50km.
It flies at Mach 3.
Mach 3 is about 1000 m/s
Now.
The moon at it's perigee is 405,696 KILOMETERS away from Earth.
AND THAT'S THE FUCKING MOON, THE CLOSEST NATURAL ORBITING OBJECT.
ISS IS ORBITING EARTH AT 7660 METERS PER FUCKING SECOND.
Kill yourselves you uneducated shitters.
The only way you can have space battles is future space magic.
>>
>>64222575
>he things space battles are about shooting missiles from a planet to the fucking moon
kill yourself you damage controlling sperglord.
>>
>>64222615
I gave you a relative scale because I think you forget that Earth =/= FUCKING SPACE since you brought up fighter jets, which is a fucking hilarious comparision to FUCKING SPACE WITH NO ATMOSPHERE.
>>
>>64222513
>That's today, with our caveman-tier understanding of space-tech
In other words, space future magic fixes everything such as orbiting, calculations, detection of objects and Newton's laws.
>>
>>64222639
Your flailing is fucking hilarious, trying to compare current day technology involved in launching a fucking spacecraft from earth into orbit and to the moon with firing a fucking missile in FUCKING SPACE WITH NO ATMOSPHERE and trying to crash it into something else without passing through any atmosphere at all.
>>
>>64222713
>lol its majik
nice argument, kiddo.
>>
>>64222748
So you're saying, future space magic fixed everything.

Good to know, delight yourself with your realistic TV show that features a nation that can't even shit into the toilet as relevent to anything.
>>
>>64222802
>lol its majik
nice argument, kiddo.
>>
>>64222837
Then explain how they deal with newton's 3rd law, how they detect space objects, how they detect the space objects changed their vector, how they plan attacking the detected objects, with what, and how the fuck can they if space involves moving faster than 10000 m/s at times.
>>
>>64222802
>>64222748
>being this fucking butthurt that you got rekt
>>
File: TRAITOR.gif (75 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
TRAITOR.gif
75 KB, 180x180
>>64222902
>rekt
I'm not the one who can't provide suitable arguments here.
>b-but muh fighter jets going at 300 m/s at 20 km range!
>>
>>64222882
You must be entirely incapable of enjoying anything beyond what is right in front of your nose, huh?
Naturalism and realism aren't the same thing, champ. It's sci fi.
Science FICTION.
It can use accurate interpretations of physics and still implement space battles on the ground that they have actually learned something in the 100+ years that have passed.
Keep posting your memes though. That'll lend credence to your butthurt.
>>
File: WAKE ME UP INSIDE.png (156 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
WAKE ME UP INSIDE.png
156 KB, 270x270
>>64222971
>space battles on the ground
>space battles
>ground
>space
>ground
Now nevermind somehow you have space battles at lightyears of distance and thousands of km/s speed.
HOW IS INDIA RELEVENT AT ALL?
THEY CAN'T EVEN SHIT INTO THE TOILET.
>>
>>64223029
>pointing out minor spelling mistakes
The last vestige of a desperate boy. :^)
>>
>>64223070
That's far from minor or a spelling mistake.
Now answer me, how is a nation incapable of shitting into the toilet relevent at all.
How does UN even exist, why does anybody listen to it if it couldn't do anything for 50+ years, did they do something actually relevent for once?
>>
this thread is fucking retarded but i'll give the show a try OP.

For the record, realistic sci-fi is sci-fi that feels like it naturally extends what we already know about technology. Obviously anything you see in science fiction isn't going to be realistic in a literal sense because it involves science which hasn't been discovered yet.
>>
>>64219058
I have only seen the first episode, but if you like that sort of thing, you REALLY need to read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
>>
is it really that good?
>>
>>64223245
it tries a little too hard to be the next Big Deal cultural event tv show like GoT was, but it's still pretty good
>>
>>64222713
>>64222802
>all those totally realistic things I just explained
>future space magic

Did you take just a single year of secondary physics and then stop reading anything else literally ever? This isn't me 4chins memebantering, I'm actually not able to connect the dots as to what bizarre sort-of-educated-but-not-quite-there upbringing you must have had that you can't comprehend what everyone else in this thread is saying to to you
>>
>>64223244
>I have only seen the first episode, but if you like that sort of thing, you REALLY need to read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
This

>>64223245
What he said >>64223294
It has overly high hopes of itself, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's bretty gud
>>
File: newton3r.gif (15 KB, 709x531) Image search: [Google]
newton3r.gif
15 KB, 709x531
>>64222882
>newton's 3rd law
pic
>how they detect space objects, how they detect the space objects changed their vector
>>64222397
>how they plan attacking the detected objects,with what
we literally already have laser weapon systems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjXXRfwrHg
>space involves moving faster than 10000 m/s
I'll take relativity for 400

how are you literally this stupid?
>>
>>64223334
I was this guy >>64222397, I'm on your side

I was giving examples of things the show is doing right in meme-text fashion. I'm not fucking sure how this guy isn't getting that realistic physics in sci-fi is possible
>>
You idiots said this and childhoods end were good... both shows are shit.

also
>50 years old Thomas Jane with skrillex hair cut
>>
>>64223427
Childhood's End is not good, no

This is though
>>
>>64223404
no shit i was referring him to your post
>>
>>64222397
>radar
Enjoy waiting for fucking months to get months old position of the object you were looking for.
"Omni-directional sensors" is space magic talk.
I'll actually give you Moore's law because it's actually grounded in statistics.
And fusion still needs reaction mass, which is finite.
>>
>>64223479
My bad friendo
>>
Steven Strait is fucking hot, does he get nude again aside from that zero g scene?
>>
I liked it a lot. I liked its world building in particular without hamfisted showing-off of sf concepts. They show how the world is different from our world, how three factions are different from each other in small details at a time.
I haven't read the books, so had quite a fun being proven wrong on where the plot goes especially on episode 4. I thought the martians were bad guys but ended up liking them. I do hope the german looking martian interrogator survives. Had bad luck with the medic:(.
>>
File: tachi.jpg (79 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
tachi.jpg
79 KB, 700x525
>>64223659
Not so far.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.