[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just watched Die Hard for the first time in my life because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
I just watched Die Hard for the first time in my life because I know its an action movie and I heard its the best Christmas movie ever.

It was certainly a GOOD movie. 3/5 for sure. No major complaints. A few weird things though:
>The Christmas theme was kinda forced. I feel like the director/execs pulled the same trick that James Cameron did with Titanic and Avatar by releasing an action during the winter, and he just wanted to disguise his motives by forcing the movie to take place during Christmas. I never read the book so I could be completely off-base here, but every mention Christmas just felt more out of place then if John McClane was thirsty and randomly decided he needed a sip of a QUALITY COCA-COLA beverage. Once again, I could just be retarded.
>Hans, the main bad guy, played by Snape, looked almost exactly like John Greene from "Freddy Got Fingered," and I'm pretty bad with faces so during the scene where he faked his accent to sound like a dumb hick, I believed it just as much as John McClane. The fact that he looks like John Greene was so fucking distracting that it made the subtle theme of "we're mocking cheesy classic action movie tropes despite the fact that we ended BEING a cheesy classic action movie" more awkward.
>Case in point, when John McClane barely hangs on to a piece of airvent after falling off his rope strapped to a gun that I still don't understand, I refuse to believe his fingers would be strong enough to NOT ONLY support his whole body, but also support his body with all that downward moment.
>The last scene with the black cop who put down the gun ever since he shot a child by accident, would have been so funny if the terrorist he shot ended up ACTUALLY being John McClane's partner who assisted in shooting up the terrorists, and that's almost what fucking happens a few seconds later when he aims his gun at the limo. Lucky shmuck.
>>
>>64087518
>I feel like the director/execs pulled the same trick that James Cameron did with Titanic and Avatar by releasing an action during the winter
stopped reading right here

the movie was released in July of '88
>>
>>64087571
>stopped reading right there
Once again, I could just be retarded. That's just how I felt watching the movie.
>>
>>64087518
>I refuse to believe his fingers would be strong enough to NOT ONLY support his whole body, but also support his body with all that downward moment.
>would have been so funny if the terrorist he shot ended up ACTUALLY being John McClane's partner who assisted in shooting up the terrorists
these are your criticisms and suggestions? are you fucking joking? What was the purpose of making this thread? Just shouting
>I'M REALLY FUCKING STUPID
at the top of your lungs online?
>>
>>64087607
>I could just be retarded
Understatement of the year
Merry Christmas, OP!
>>
>>64087635
>these are your criticisms and suggestions?
Yeah. I mean they ARE minor criticisms. It was a mostly good movie. No major complaints, but those stuck out at me.
>>
>>64087712
rating it 3/5 though? it's a solid 5/5, one of the best action movies ever made.
>>
You only made one legitimate criticism of the film, the rest was all completely illogical nonsense.

For real though, Die Hard is easily my favourite action thriller of all time. It hasn't aged a day and if it were released in 2015 it would be looked upon as a breath of fresh air among piles of generic soulless CGI fuckfests.
>>
>>64087635
he's trolling
>>
>>64087874
Doubt it, I haven't seen a legitimate troll on here in fucking years
the odds are he's a teenage redditor who has retarded friends who talk about movies like this and he's repeating the same retarded dialogue in hopes his opinion sounds important
>>
if this isn't b8 op must be underage as fuck
>>
File: A_Good_Day_to_Die_Hard.jpg (73 KB, 295x437) Image search: [Google]
A_Good_Day_to_Die_Hard.jpg
73 KB, 295x437
The series surely is getting progressively worse.
Will the last Die Hard back to the root?
>>
>>64087809
>You only made one legitimate criticism of the film, the rest was all completely illogical nonsense.
Which one was that?
>>
>>64087954

1>3>2>>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5
>>
>>64088024
The first one. I don't agree with it, but at least it wasn't incoherent redditspeak.
>>
>>64087925
>redditor
>>64088109
>redditspeak
What's reddit you guys?
>>
I was just watching this the other day and noticed that the walkie talkies used are Kenwood TH21BT 2 meter VHF ham radio walkie talkies. Stubby rubber ducky antennas, if they are made for VHF, wouldn't transmit very far, likely they are UHF antennas which is even worse. The police dispatchers would not be listening to them on any Channel 9 on 2 meter or 440 Mhz ham radio. Also Al Powell would not have a radio for that in his car. If there was a Channel 9, an emergency channel, Hans Gruber's radio would not have been tuned to that during John McClane's rooftop call for help picked up by police... monitoring channel 9? Also on Thornberg's desk at the TV station there is a Kenwood TS-711 according to RigPix Database info (I thought it was an HF rig) with the proper antenna it would allow Thornberg to communicate from his office with John McClane and the terrorists. But why would he need to do that? He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to have an All Mode (FM, SSB, CW) VHF transceiver on his desktop. Probably most hams don't even have that. Maybe an FM 2 meter and 440, maybe an HF or HF and 6 Meters. But only a VHF all mode (expensive for single purpose) interested ham radio operator would have such a rig.

I concluded that Die Hard is one of the worst Christmas films ever made
>>
>>64087518
Wow. Just wow. Watches movie from 1988. Uses fucking "tropes" in criticism. Actually thinks they were mocking actionmovies in the based era of action movies. Uses fucking John Greene in his criticism. Op is legit retarded.

Hey op, just watched Lawrence of arabia for the first time. So annoyed they ripped off prometheus. Soooo annoyed.

idiot.
>>
>>64088456
>Uses fucking "tropes" in criticism.
I only use that word this an action movie where the characters actively reference tropes or cliches, if you prefer from other action movies.

The John Greene thing wasn't really a criticism either. It was just my personal experience.

Why are you so buttmad towards someone who doesn't even dislike your favorite movie?
>>
I'm sorry your Aspergers prevented you from liking the movie OP.
>>
>>64088548
>I'm sorry your Aspergers prevented you from liking the movie OP.
But I _did_ like it. 3/5 is not a bad time.
>>
>>64088262
You are a well rounded individual with no obvious character flaws.
>>
tangential details: the criticism
>>
>>64088262

i kek'd
>>
>>64087518
>>64088262

Who is the most autistic, /tv/?
>>
File: I see what you mean, OP.png (604 KB, 1359x375) Image search: [Google]
I see what you mean, OP.png
604 KB, 1359x375
>>
>>64088706
DIE HARD IS RUINED! CHRISTMAS IN CANCELLED!!!
>>
>>64088706

He said JOHN Greene. Not Tom Green!

DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG
>>
>>64088767
>He said JOHN Greene. Not Tom Green!
I also mentioned Freddy Got Fingered. I meant to say Tom Green.
>>
>>64088262
if this isn't pasta, it should be
>>
>>64088781

>Freddy Got Fingered
>Starring John Greene

How could you fuck this up so badly
>>
>>64087607
>Once again, I could just be retarded.
i think that poster just proved you are though
>>
>>64087518

reported for underage
>>
>>64088262
is this copypasta or future copypasta?
>>
>>64087518
You need to be slapped.
>>
I love die hard threads but this one is definitely the worst I've seen. fuck you OP you fucking faggot
>>
>>64088526
>cliches, if you prefer

Yes, I prefer, because the the word "tropes" has become a catch-all for every "problematic" thing that people thinks happens in movies and video games and it is ruining (to an extent already has) peoples' ability to freely create whatever the fuck they want and do it well.

"Tropes" is code-word for "things we're going to pile in into the category of -ist" such as racist, sexist, classist, mysoginist, whatever, and it's bullshit. Beyond that, you're criticizing one of the best action movies and one that all your "cliches" that happen now got them from. Which makes you look like and idiot. Hence my post.

Idiot.
>>
>>64089597
>"Tropes" is code-word for "things we're going to pile in into the category of -ist" such as racist, sexist, classist, mysoginist, whatever, and it's bullshit.
But that's completely wrong you fucking retard. It's just a cliche that hasn't necessarily been over-played enough to be called a cliche yet.
>>
File: 1408810870791s.jpg (7 KB, 222x214) Image search: [Google]
1408810870791s.jpg
7 KB, 222x214
Saw it an hor ago.

You actually pinpoint the moment Bruce Willis became an action hero...

It happens whens hes having that John Wayne convo with Hans.... and he says Yippy Kay Yay-
>>
>40 stories of sheer adventure
>only one story
>>
File: horse2.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
horse2.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THAT HORSE?!

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>64087518
It's literally just a movie for gay footfags
>>
>>64090383
pic related, but not trasmitted for some reason.
>>
>>64090383
Are you denying that 1988 Bruce Willis had the footgame in the industry?
>>
"Die Hard is a Christmas movie" is a dumb meme perpetuated by 15 year olds that think they're being clever, they will eventually grow out of it but there will be a new batch of 15 year olds to take their place so it's never going to end
>>
>>64087518
>tower looks like two tower on that poster
>helicopter flying toward
>explosion
>terrorist
911 movie?
>>
>>64087518
Die Hard is the best 80s action movie.

3/5? Get outta here pleb.
>>
>>64090522
>Die Hard is the best 80s action movie.
dunno. there was many other great too
eg. Lethal weapon
>>
>>64090501
It's actually a meme that mature adults who could give a rat's ass about christmas continue to maintain and will forever.
Better get used to it, junior.
>>
>>64090640
My experience was what I posted as I was the 15 year old thinking he was clever, now I'm 26 and I look back on that with embarrassment and continue to get embarrassed whenever I hear someone call it a Christmas movie
>>
>>64090640
This. I see grownups say it every now and then.
>>
Its the perfect action film. Kids today are fucking dumb
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.