[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swg/ screenwriting general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 13
File: swg.jpg (3 KB, 206x213) Image search: [Google]
swg.jpg
3 KB, 206x213
IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN

>THE AUDIENCE WILL NOT TUNE IN TO WATCH INFORMATION. YOU WOULDN'T, I WOULDN'T. NO ONE WOULD OR WILL. THE AUDIENCE WILL ONLY TUNE IN AND STAY TUNED TO WATCH DRAMA.

>QUESTION:WHAT IS DRAMA? DRAMA, AGAIN, IS THE QUEST OF THE HERO TO OVERCOME THOSE THINGS WHICH PREVENT HIM FROM ACHIEVING A SPECIFIC, ACUTE GOAL.

>SO: WE, THE WRITERS, MUST ASK OURSELVES OF EVERY SCENE THESE THREE QUESTIONS.
>1) WHO WANTS WHAT?
>2) WHAT HAPPENS IF HER DON'T GET IT?
>3) WHY NOW?

>EVERY SCENE MUST BE DRAMATIC. THAT MEANS: THE MAIN CHARACTER MUST HAVE A SIMPLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD, PRESSING NEED WHICH IMPELS HIM OR HER TO SHOW UP IN THE SCENE.
>>
>>63572919
>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6uwaxNQt5HRaGVheWhXYUpTYk0/view?usp=sharing

Haven't worked on it since, but I'm about to start writing a new thing (not entirely sure what yet). A friend of mine's coming back for winter break and I wanted to film something.
>>
>>63573034
What is this? I don't really know what to make of it. No characters. Plot out of an anime (weak guy gets super powers from a magical pill). No real lesson. No message. There's no one to side with. Maybe Simon, but he seems pretty complicit in all of this.

A bunch of little mistakes. You describe Simon as "nervous" then feel you need to add (quiet) or (nervous) to every bit of his dialogue.

Action lines are vague: "Simon quickly analyzes every thug, noting everything to the last detail..."
"His movements are quick, decisive, and calculated, knowing make them."

Dumb cliches like slow clapping. And how perfect is that timing that this pill starts up right before he's about to be killed and ends right before he's about to kill Leon?

And the action isn't really anything we haven't seen, especially the using a thug as a shield.

A Panera sandwich? How can you tell from just a sandwhich? Why even go through the trouble of putting a brand there?
>>
>>63573589
>A Panera sandwich? How can you tell from just a sandwhich?
That was more of a nod to the Filmmaking General.

Thanks for the advice, though. It's really just a vague blueprint for something I wanted to shoot.
>>
Gonna bump
>>
>>63573771
Yeah I understand. I didn't mean to rail you too hard.
Just don't start making excuses for yourself. Oh I haven't worked on it, it's only a first draft, I'm not that much of a writer anyway, it was only meant for me, I'm going to shoot it myself. It's all bullshit. Own up to yourself.
>>
>>63574310
Yeah I getcha senpai

It's not the best, I'll admit, and it's short as hell.
>>
File: bytheseajolie_pitt.jpg (34 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
bytheseajolie_pitt.jpg
34 KB, 670x377
Guys I have a super big mega problem.

I can't come up with an idea that I'm comfortable with selling.

Lemme explain, I've come up with ideas that I would love to get credit for creating/directing/writing/editing, etc.

My biggest fear is that my script will be taken and frankensteined into a sjw movie about gay rights and my name will be in the credits as "screenwriter".

Anyway, my broblem is coming up with something that I'm ok with letting go (if only to make a name for myself).

*sigh*

I'm a good writer, but I'm blocked by all my super secret theories about "what makes a good movie"---so if I come up with a mundane idea, I don't pursue it at all.

Pic related hit me right in the feels

>I'm a failed writer
>In order to be a failed writer you have to write something and then fail, you haven't even written anything.

Fuck.
>>
>>63573589

>No real lesson. No message. There's no one to side with.
why the fuck do these kiNd of people exist? These people that try to bottle art and try to understand it in context to their strict conservative and borig ideology of what a hugely abstract medium like film should be

>What is this?
its a fucking visually expressed tale of the imagination

you have, and always will destroy the artistic possibilities of film/tv by expecting artists to account for these questions
>>
bump faggots.

Is it possible to email production companies with your manuscript instead of getting an agent? I think agents are literally the worst people on earth.
>>
>>63574709

Clearly that is a topic you need to hit in your writing then. If you are constantly afraid of your script becoming SJW'd that is what you need to hit so that its un avoidable.

As for mundane, at what point is an idea not mundane?
>>
>>63574820
The reason I critique it like that is because the script is boring.

We have to analyze why something is boring. Most of the time, it's because we don't care about the situation, or don't identify/sympathize with a character. When I say "message/lesson" that usually comes about when you have an actual character who has to go through some trauma and changes because he learned something (something that we teach the audience). You're right, there's many ways to write things, but no one is going to watch something that's boring.

Having a strong character go through something and form some sort of message has been TESTED AND PROVED to work to make films more interesting.

Nearly every single film you have watched has a protagonist that you can side with that leads to a message being taught. Nearly every. single. one.
>>
>>63574709
One, this is why contracts exist. You set up things like who can rewrite it and gets paid for it. If you don't want someone mucking it up, make sure you're in charge of it.

Two, film is a collaborative process. No film is YOUR baby. It's the combination of creative minds.

If you're such a good writer, then your writing would speak on it's own. It's such a stupid thing to be worried about, and sounds like an excuse NOT to write.
>>
>>63575392
>>>63574709
>One, this is why contracts exist. You set up things like who can rewrite it and gets paid for it. If you don't want someone mucking it up, make sure you're in charge of it.
If you put stipulations like that on your writing, no hollywood jew will ever pick it up, and they'll keep churning out the money laundering shlock they've been putting out every year.
>>
>>63575475
If the writing is good, people will want your script no matter what. It's easy to say "oh all Hollywood films are shit," but I assure you most amateurs can't even hit that level.
>>
>>63575697
>If the writing is good, people will want your script no matter what.
That's what jews who own the business and film school "profs" keep saying.

It isn't true--just look at what is getting produced out there--you're honestly telling me that that's the best the world can do?
>>
>>63575750
Go read scripts on reddit or even here and tell me they're better.
>>
>>63575954
Yeah, but what about scripts from people with "agents".

Combine the entire english speaking world--500million or something like that?

You're telling me out of all the possibilities, Jupiter Rising and Ghost Busters Remake is the best that we can all come up with?

Fuck off you kike.
>>
Welp, here's a few pages of my awful draft of my awful script. Bear in mind it's just the opening.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CwoavM8htXbkFDdk9qeThkNUU/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to read it and then tell me how bad of a writer I am and how none of it is genuinely funny.
>>
>>63576381
I get way too caught up on the first page. I'm just so confused. Who is the Motorcyle cop? You don't even introduce him in the action. Is he this one with the Sabertooth tiger on his head? And it's all clumped up.
I recommend you give some shots their own line. If you have one visual, just give it it's own paragraph. You don't have to do it every time, because then it'd get long, but at least break it up a bit.
>>
Forgetting the cardinal rule that a screenplay involves what's actually playing on the screen. Not random plot points for a short story or wikipedia summary. Fuck off plebs.
>>
>>63577679
yeah but there's none of that here. Fuck off dork
>>
>>63576381
>awful draft of my awful script

Why the fuck do you think anyone would ever want to read this? You're not paying me to read your shit, so if you tell me "oh yeah it's pretty bad", then why would I waste my time?

The last thing that will get you feedback and reads is self-deprecation. If your script isn't good enough for you to stand by it when presenting it to anonymous neckbeards on a mandalorian crochet notice wall, it's not good enough for me to waste even 30 seconds reading it.
>>
>>63577746
To be fair bro, there's only two scripts on this entire thread.
>>
File: 1417030075017.jpg (676 KB, 1222x1212) Image search: [Google]
1417030075017.jpg
676 KB, 1222x1212
>>63577777
>>
File: 1448830232673.jpg (230 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448830232673.jpg
230 KB, 768x1024
>>63577777
Checked.

That's the worst part. Out of only two scripts to read, I already have discarded any intention of reading anon's "awful, awful script." And I read the first script three threads ago.

Anon's script could be fucking fantastic. But him describing it as shit means that I'm not wasting my time reading it. As a script reader I already have to go through pages and pages of schlock to label it shit, I'm not volunteering my free time if you've already done my job.
>>
>>63575995
No one is going to want some 2deep4you arthouse scripts from a total rookie.

Jupiter Ascending was from some big directors, and the Ghostbusters reboot is a recognized brand. That's why they got made.
>>
>>63577832
Well I'd post a script that got shortlisted, but being shortlisted has validated it more than a swedish cavepainting library ever will.

There's so much shit out there people think is good, sometimes you gotta shift through the shit to find the golden nugget.

How'd you get into script reading professionally anyway? Internship?
>>
>>63577927
An internship I had at not film school that translated into PA and finally script coverage
>>
>>63577965
Yeah I made the great decision of doing film-making at university.
Then dropping out because it wasn't a great decision.
And now I basically can't go back to university, because I dropped out and can't get a second loan I won't be able to pay back. So dropping out wasn't a great decision.

So I'm just writing shit in order to churn out something that'll hopefully eventually stick to the wall.
>>
>>63578088
>second loan
America's student debt is seriously fucked. That's why I went wherever I could get in for free.

Good luck anon. Just stop presenting your work as awful shit. Present it as fucking awesome and let that first impression hopefully translate to the actual read.
>>
>In any case, when you, as the novelist, pick up pencil and paper or sit down to your computer to write a novel, you already have the money, so to speak. You don't need someone else to put up forty million dollars so you can actually create it, and you don't need Brad Pitt to commit in order to get the studio to make the deal. And you don't need a high powered agent to get the script to Brad Pitt. You are the head of the studio, the filmwright, the director, the primary creative artist. You make all of the decisions and conjure everything yourself down to the last detail, including all the leads. And when you're done, the finished novel is a finished work of art.

>Having a finished novel under your arm looking for a publisher is the equivalent of having a finished film under your arm looking for a distributor. And there are very few middlemen between you and your book deal. Even some of the top Eastern agents will respond to your query letters and ask to look at the first two chapters. You can also approach many publishers on your own, even without an agent, if you can present yourself in a credible manner and write a good query letter.

>On the other hand, if you're a new screenwriter - i.e. not a professional working writer who already has good credits and an agent - it is very difficult to approach the studios or major independent companies on your own without having an agent or good contacts on the inside. And, generally speaking, for the new writer, the top literary agents in Hollywood are very hard, if not impossible, to get to. They're not really in the business of discovering and nurturing talent. They don't need to be. After you've managed to be discovered or make it big on your own, you'll come to them anyway. In short, there are many thick layers of resistance and obstacles between you and getting your screenplay actually turned into a film.
>>
>>63574993
Of course it's thereotically possible, but it's very, very, very unlikely you are going to succeed like that.
>>
>>63578130
>America's student debt

Actually, This is british debt.

Although I'm considering getting american debt too with my dual nationality.
>>
>>63578185
>And then there's the question of money. If you compare the potential a writer can make from his hit movie or his best selling novel, it's no contest. The current WGA low budget minimum for a theatrical motion picture is $53,000, the high budget minimum is $100,000. Occasionally, a screenwriter gets high six figures or even a million dollars for his spec screenplay or as a writer-for-hire. A few writers have gotten as much as three million. And the chances are, no matter how successful the movie is, aside from residuals and other ancillary rights payments, you will never see anymore money than that.

>Dan Brown, the author of The DaVinci Code, has made over fifty million dollars in U.S. domestic royalties alone and God knows how much worldwide. That's equal to 50 to 100 super lucrative movie deals. For one project. Plus he gets all the benefits of a movie deal anyway with much more favorable terms than any spec scriptwriter could expect.

Why aren't you writing novels?

https://www.writersstore.com/the-novel-vs-the-screenplay-a-tough-love-guide-for-talented-writers/
>>
>>63577893
Fuck.
Off.
Jew.
>>
>>63578228
Because income from novels is based totally on sales, (which tends to get you an advance of almost no money as a breakout writer) rather than a single big paycheck.

Plus there's more competition and the market is diluted with shit.

Say what you will about crappy films, but they pay better.
>>
Want to give this a try, any tips for getting started on a first draft on a first screenplay? Maybe recommended reading?
>>
>>63578430
>tips for getting started on a first draft on a first screenplay
Sit down and write

>recommended reading?
Scripts. Shane black is good to read.
>>
File: 1377146688636.jpg (161 KB, 1047x706) Image search: [Google]
1377146688636.jpg
161 KB, 1047x706
>>63578352
Exactly, the only way novels ever get picked up is when the media non-stop advertises them.

Fifty shades of grey would have never ever been read and sold by so many if it had not been the total advertising and media blitz to hype it up.

Honestly, they did this with The Beatles.

Nobody gave a shit about who they were until they featured videos where young girls were payed to act hysterical in their presence. Girls then copy-cated the hype made by A Hard Days night.

Same with the twilight series and fifty shades of grey--it's all jewish marketing and advertising.

It's no fucken secret--the arts industries are dominated by jews.
>>
File: tisch.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tisch.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
NYU grad - focused on production and writing mostly ask me anything, I did/do script consulting on the side
>>
>>63578559
Are you a jew?
>>
Anyone wanna exchange features? I've already posted here, but this is not the place for feedback. Looking for someone that has at least completed a whole script. It doesn't matter how shitty it is because we're all amateurs here.
>>
>>63576381
>first paragraph: post apoc, engine revving, standard stuff
>scroll down a few pages
>TERRORSAUR AND ROBOTS

Oh boy, anon.
>>
>>63578565
no, but there were many jews
>>
>>63578671
Do they dominate the film scene?
>>
>>63578712
jews? yeah well there's just a disproportionate number of them in nyu and in tisch and in the industry, I have no other observations
>>
File: 1440473811509.jpg (21 KB, 242x264) Image search: [Google]
1440473811509.jpg
21 KB, 242x264
>>63578758
>>
>>63578565
Grow up.
>>
>>63578559
Do you live on 4chan, do you not have a life outside of these threads? I'm starting to think you are unemployed and spend all day on here.

>nyu tisch
lol
>>
>>63579696
I'm in revisions for the past week. Nothing else to do.
>>
>>63578228
Why not both, anon? I'm working on a novel and screen play. First draft of novel. Screenplay is on draft three. Writing a novel is good too because then you can double dip like the writer of Gone Girl. Write the script and novel. Twice the dosh.
>>
File: 1440858315531.png (82 KB, 181x203) Image search: [Google]
1440858315531.png
82 KB, 181x203
These threads are so rare. I never read them but I just decided to start writing down a couple of ideas
Is there a /tv/ sticky/faq ?

Have you read any books like Amazon's best sellers The Screenwriter's Bible or Save the cat ?

Have you ever sent anything to a studio or a director ? What studio and what was the story about ? Did you get a reply with some criticism or even a contract ?

Did you protect your script ?

Going to bed, hope this thread is still up tomorrow
>>
>set in a city
>2030
>zombie apocalypse

TWEEST
the ending reveals that there be no zombies, just niggers dinduing.The movie is about the last white family fleeing from Detroit

did u rike it?
>>
>>63572919
Today I started writing again after I had to take 8 months off.

Fuck I hate being rusty.
>>
>>63578228
I am right now. I fucking hate it. I hate having to write stupid elaborate detail about "what the room looks like" rather than get straight to the point like I can when writing a screenplay. Problem is selling screenplays is much much harder than a novel. Hence why I have to write a book.
>>
>>63580007
Screenwriter's Bible is good for formatting and structure and some basics of story. There's a lot of hype for McKee's Story, which is more of a philosophical look into how to tell a story.

Technically, anything you write is instantly copyrighted. There are some other things you can pay for (like registering it to the WGA), but you don't need to worry about that. No one is interested in your idea or script because they're too busy on their own.

Also, your first five scripts will be dog shit. Literally terrible in every way, and you're going to think they're great. So don't worry about copyrighting or sending it in, because that's something that you are years away from.
>>
>>63580473
>Also, your first five scripts will be dog shit.

Mine never were, they were fair-decent at worst. I've written the equivalent of 6 scripts, 1 novel, and 4 short stories thus far in my life. I'm a good writer when I put work into it. I've been told I have natural talent that just needs to be refined a bit.

It depends on the individual.
>>
>>63580473
Forgot to mention, the first draft of anything is shit, so no one need worry. It can be edited afterward, and edited again and again and again until it sounds great.

Always copyright your hard work. You earned it.
>>
>>63573034
I like it
It's very short and simple
It gives a futuristic vibe without being over the top
>>
>>63573034
Not very good. Formatting needs a lot of work and the story is poorly constructed.
>>
>>63580473
>Also, your first five scripts will be dog shit. Literally terrible in every way, and you're going to think they're great.

This is not true for everyone.
>>
The best practice for writing is reading good scripts and having a steady schedule.

Try watching short films (they're 97% garbage - look for short films of now famous directors, Polanski has amazing short films from the 50s) and writing them. You'll learn a lot about cutting the fat and subtext (which I've always stressed here but amateurs never get it).
>>
File: 1442104300600.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1442104300600.gif
2 MB, 500x281
I wrote ACT I of a Sci-Fi/Erotic Thriller script. This was my first try after I was inspired by a litany of movies.

It is for a creative writing class and my professor who is a published author (not high tier) was extremely impressed and said I should try to finish it in its entirety because I have something award winning on my hands.

now, my major is multimedia programming, but I have a insatiable love for film. Normally I would post the script, if he hadn't told me how impressed he was but now I'm afraid about idea theft.

wat to do? should I try to sell the idea? or keep it and get it produced on my own terms?
>>
>>63581207
holy fuck he got old
>>
>>63581207
>idea theft

You can't steal an idea because you can't "own" an idea. The only thing we could potentially steal from you is the execution of your script.

Curious though, published author? Author of what?
>>
>>63581278
You mean you couldn't steal the execution of the script. Copyright protects that.
>>
>>63581207
Finish the script. A lot of people crap out on the second act because that's the meat of the story and shows that you can actually maintain interest.

Listen, I don't care who you are, but the first act of your first script on it's first draft isn't award winning material. Finish the script. Don't just sit on a half-completed idea like a fucking amateur. No one is going to steal your idea. You can't sell your idea. You can only sell a script.

Finishing puts you ahead of a bunch of people who never have the stamina to do it.

I think you should post it so we can help, but it's up to you.
>>
>>63581278
>>63581295

I'm not familiar at all with copyright, but yeah I didn't mean theft of the idea in the strict sense

The Sleepwalkers (Willi Kraus Series) that's the book series he told us about in class IIRC
>>
>>63581459
I finished it and yet it never got sold.
>>
File: Rocky.jpg~original.jpg (163 KB, 500x4557) Image search: [Google]
Rocky.jpg~original.jpg
163 KB, 500x4557
Here is something for motivation.
>>
>>63581459

I think he was trying to give me encouragement to finish the script in its entirety because he and my group thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'll finish it next summer cause that's when I'm free and then post excerpts of it here when it is complete.

FUCK, I wasn't expecting that for this semester, I'm trying to be a codemonkey lmao

Thanks guys
>>
>>63572919
Hey /tv/ a few questions.
where can I lear a few things about the language that people use in scripst(like kind of shot, time, scene) and the structure of a normal script.
>>
>>63581295
That's what I meant. I can't steal it because it's illegal, but I can because it exists to be stolen. Just conveyed my idea poorly great trait for a screenwriter
>>
>>63572919
Constant explosions for attention deficit audience.
>>
>>63581699

These two websites helped me out immensely

http://screenwriting.info/
http://www.filmsite.org/filmterms.html
>>
>>63581889
Thanks bud.
>>
Have any of you actually had any success with your script? Or is this just a bunch of anons assuming they know best?
>>
>>63581942
Only success was being told I had some natural talent by industry readers who have recommended some of the biggest hollywood movie scripts made into films.

I guess that's something.
>>
>>63581987
I only ask because I remember /lit/ writing a novel together which was the drizzling shits
>>
>>63580473
>Also, your first five scripts will be dog shit

Every time I hear this, the number goes up.
>>
>>63582877
There is no magic number where you suddenly become a good writer, but fuck off if you think your first script is any good.
>>
>>63583177
I don't know what you're talking about! My first script got me three golden globes and a grammy.
>>
>>63575392
No first-time screenwriter is going to be able to pull off a contract that doesn't allow others to re-write it.
>>
>>63574709
Then raise the money yourself and produce it, you pussy
>>
>>63583331
Bullshit. And an example of one writer is in this very thread, Sylvestor Stallone - Rocky.

I don't take these threads very seriously, after all, this is 4chan, where mostly amateur basement dwellers delude themselves thinking they know a thing or two about screenwriting. Only a few here actually have somewhat of an idea.
>>
>>63583675
I am a working screenwriter and I can verify that this is a very difficult contract to pull off, unless you're keeping the budget low enough and have a contract to direct the film yourself. If you're just selling the script, they will want as much flexibility as possible.

You actually have an example from 40 years ago, made by two producers who were in the unique position of being able to green light a film under a certain budget - and Stallone's tough stance on the contract was about acting in the film (and he had done Lords of Flatbush already).

Any more recent examples?

Also, this is what I have learned about first time spec scripts: people in the film business love finding a new writer with a strong, unique voice - so they can hire him to write the same shit they always produce, but pretend they are "giving it a new edge."
>>
>>63584126
>I am a working screenwriter

kek, no
>>
>>63584237
Here's my WGA card, sport
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>63584237
Forgot to attach the image
>>
>>63584467
It's a good thing no one bought my script, otherwise they would've fucked it up then.
>>
>>63584565
Most likely, they wouldn't have made it. They buy a lot of scripts they don't make.
>>
>>63584611
It was a 100 million dollar sci fi epic. Stupid to not make it.
>>
>>63584659
What was the last 100 million sic fi epic they made from a spec script by an unknown writer?

They haven't made Jon Spaihts's "Passengers" and everybody loved that fucking script.
>>
>>63584773
They are making it right now.

It doesn't matter if it's someone unknown, it matters if it's good or not, that's how it should be anyways.

The film industry is really retarded. They limit themselves and go by so many "rules" because they think that's what works. They're afraid to take on any risk, even calculated.

It's part of the reason why Hollywood just sucks now. I got some good advice from a reader though, so there's that.
>>
>>63584852
Which one are they making?
>>
>>63585198
Passengers. That Jlaw bitch is in it.
>>
>>63585219
That figures.
>>
>>63578559
Hows the programs there? I was thinking of transferring there as compared to USC.
Also
>How's the tuition?
>How's the actual film/production program because I hear it's top notch?
>Also what's a good GPA?
>>
What contests are legit? Might start applying this year.
>>
>>63584467
How do you get in?
>>
>>63587004
None. Like everything, it's a crapshoot. You're much better off PA-ing and working your way up over years.
>>
>>63574709
>you haven't even written anything
FUCK YOU
>>
I'm going to be interning at a well-known indie production company this Spring. The head is a highly-acclaimed writer (you've definitely seen a film or two adapted from his spec script).

Does anyone have any suggestions on using this opportunity in terms of screenwriting?
>>
>>63578430
Find some script editing software. Final Draft is industry standard, but if you're a cheapass there's Celtx and Writerduet. Don't really recommend Celtx, though, their layout's turned to shit. I use it because it's what I've always used, but WriterDuet is on the whole better.

>>63578464
Need to read more scripts, and I liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Thanks.
>>
>>63580637
That's what I was going for.

Really, my goal was to put a little story into what will amount to a glorified gunfight.
>>
>>63576381
Question, what font do you guy's use to type your screenplays?

And I'm a newfag to screenplay writing anyone got any good sources to read up on

Thanks and remember 3:17
>>
>>63587472
Courier/Courier New is industry standard. If you don't use it, your script will literally be thrown in the trash.
>>
>>63587472
Use screenwriting software not word.
>>
>>63587472
Courier, and get a software. No one, and I mean NO ONE will take you seriously otherwise
>>
>>63584565
I got a script into the Sindance labs, sold it, and then got hired to write an adaptation.
>>
>>63587004
Slamdance, Austin Film Festival, Nicholls Fellowship
>>
>>63587321
>glorified gunfight
*tips fedora*
>>
>>63587526
okay thanks

>>63587532
>>63587573
what software do you guys recommend
>>
>>63587825
Hey, fuck off m8, I'm only starting out. Besides, I can't say any of the shorts I've done so far are any good, so maybe I can put a bit of effort into making this one look professional.
>>
>>63581889
i hope you didn't put actual shot directions and film terms in your script. not your job. the director will do that later.
>>
File: image.jpg (909 KB, 2592x897) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
909 KB, 2592x897
Tfw no /play/ board...
>>
I mean
Writers and screenwriters are the most underrated people on planet
>>
>>63584773
part of the reason why im switching to novels is because i write sci-fi

Passengers is the only sci-fi spec to get any traction. There's original stuff like Gravity, Oblivion, Interstellar, and Jupiter Ascending, but those are all from really established filmmakers.
>>
Max Landis said this

>"I have in my mind this fantasy that someone is going to write a new Star Wars.... That won't be called Star Wars."

Will that ever actually happen? Can't think of the last time a huge film franchise, not based on a comic or novel, actually happened.
>>
>>63588321
Some day...
>>
>>63587179
Get some knee pads and suck a mean dick.
>>
>>63588154
You are definitely better off writing w novel and self-publishing it. Look at the Martian.
>>
>>63588110

They are properly rated
>>
>>63587179
Ask him about it. Learn his creative process. Realize his is useless and create your own. Suck some dick.
>>
So I now is more /lit/ than /tv/ but I finished my book months ago and yesterday I received the letter from the National Library of my country saying it's in the archives, the rights are mine.

Now I am going to send it to the publishers and hope the best mates.
>>
>>63588701

FUCK I meant "So I know" not "So I now"
>>
>>63588701
Congrats, m8
>>
bump it
>>
>>63585724
Expensive as shit
Production program is excellent
good gpa is 3.5+
>>
>>63587893
final draft
>>
>>63587893
Writer duet is free and has online cloud storage.

So does amazon storywriter.

I used to used CeltX back in the day, but the program is cloud only now and retains the clusterfuck UI which you really don't want in a browser.
>>
Every time I open a screenplay, I'm reminded of how awful the format of screenplays are.

Like. Jesus fucking christ. It's a goddamn movie or a TV episode, yet we're supposed to at best describe things with words -- which we can't even used with any specificity.

And how fucked is it that the screenwriter's is to make "crew pleasers"? Not crowdpleasers in the usual sense, but scripts that specifically please the producers, the directors, the actors, and maybe a handful of the crew -- audience be damned.
>>
>>63590949
Screenplays are the most efficient way of conveying plot-driven stories. I can't think of a better way.

>And how fucked is it that the screenwriter's is to make "crew pleasers"? Not crowdpleasers in the usual sense, but scripts that specifically please the producers, the directors, the actors, and maybe a handful of the crew -- audience be damned.

This is true though. But your audience is the talent, and rarely the actual public.
>>
>Money Pants
A man comes across a pair of pants that offers him money out of the pockets at any time. He obviously uses the pants to his advantage.

One day, the pants are stolen from him and he fights to get them back.

When he does he throws them away and starts building a fortune of his own.

>Always Hiding In Plain Sight
A divorced businessman finds his way back into love when a traumatic experience nearly costs him his life.

Determined to change his life after apparently being "saved by God", he goes on a dangerous quest to expose the corrupt bureaucracy and get his wife back.

In the end, he is killed and his wife never receives the letter he sends her.

>Denouement
A man of simple things gains a vexation when his young daughter's dog goes missing. Determined to get it back, he treks out into the woods with his daughter to find the dog.

After a long, perilous journey, he finds the dog at his daughter's grave.
>>
I wrote an absurdist comedy short.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4L1UWR7ZjcZTWlrZkRCd2NFWkE/view?usp=sharing
>>
>>63591233
>Money Pants
Sounds like a short film (up to 16 pages usually)
Who steals the pants, what does he do to get them back?

>Always Hiding In Plain Sight
Meh. Why is his 'quest' dangerous? Why does he want to talk to his ex?

Bureaucracy... and quests? The mundane rarely has a quest.

>Denouement
Another short film. Obvious twist. Rework this one, it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>63591346
>Who steals the pants, what does he do to get them back?
A black guy in the hood. I guess he just tries to track him down.

>Why is his 'quest' dangerous? Why does he want to talk to his ex?
It's dangerous because he's being followed/people are trying to kill him. He wants to talk to her because he wants to do good things to fix the bad ones because of his experience. Also, when I said "quest", I was being hyperbolic.

>Obvious twist.
What made it obvious? How do you mask that?
>Rework this one, it doesn't make sense.
I didn't come up with all of it, it was something me and my brother came up with. What could be reworked?
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.