[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is Lynch's deal with making his films feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot00033.png (640 KB, 1280x692) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot00033.png
640 KB, 1280x692
What the fuck is Lynch's deal with making his films feel likes shitty student films?
They're fantastic but they have that aesthetic and dialog
>>
I think you're misreading something. The quality Lynch strives for is ambiguity. The performances are weird - some people may find them amateurish, some may find them compelling and award-worthy, some may find them dark or comedic. Same goes for dialog. This is the same technique employed in a lot of experimental art, what comes to mind first would be something like Kafka, who Lynch is a fan of. Kafka's writings may come across, to different people, as entirely unschooled or meticulously constructed. Kafka's dialog has come under fire in similar ways as your OP post, for appearing 'stilted' or 'projected.' But it was all for the same intended effect. It's a quality Zizek wrote at length about in his essay on Lost Highway, which he dubbed the 'ridiculous sublime,' although I think 'bizarre' is good enough. The point is that it makes you question how to apprehend it, which is the polar opposite of hollywood films or even many indie films, which try their best to communicate how and why and in which ways to take what's happening onscreen, which emotive quality is being broadcast.

Also, you must not have seen enough student films, because their amateur aesthetic or anything that comes across as diffraction is often not intended.
>>
File: TheCowboy.jpg (78 KB, 580x250) Image search: [Google]
TheCowboy.jpg
78 KB, 580x250
I think he's a genuinely shit visual director and I think people give him way too much of a free pass on that kind of thing. The frame you posted looks terrible. Looks like a daytime soap opera. I'm sick of the excuse that it's meant to look like that. Even so it could be done better. And was Lost Highway supposed to look like a soap opera? I think Lynch has a good command of imagery, lighting, but no command of the camera.
>>
>>63334449
supposed to be dreamy looking, stupid fuck .. did you watch the movie?
>>
>>63334477
I've seen all of his films a whole lot of times. I understand it's supposed to look dreamy. But it doesn't. It looks cheap and flat. His audio design carries a lot of the weight in Mulholland Drive to create the dreamy effect.
>>
>>63334384
This is a good post. You should leave and never come back, you're too good for this shithole.
>>
Lynch started off as an artist, a painter. I think he sees things a lot differently as a result of that. A lot of the shots seems really staged and the colours are emphasised but it works
>>
Lynch's films come off as very "white" to me. As in they have a disproportionate white audience. Is this strange?
>>
File: 1445509578529.png (257 KB, 415x476) Image search: [Google]
1445509578529.png
257 KB, 415x476
>>63333148
Have you ever considered that the way you think a movie should look might not be the best or even particularly good and you've simply what you've gotten used to it?

I hate when people say that Lynch's work has shit acting and that kind of thing, it's just different. I'd even say that there's arguably no such thing as bad acting and that there's no real case to be made for striving for realism in fiction.

Also read/watch Zizek.
>>
>>63334640
because suburbia is a common theme in his movies. Black people would seem out of place in something like Blue Velvet which is just small town America
>>
>>63334651
what does le speech impediment man have to do with this?
>>
>>63334698
David Lynch is one of his favourite media subjects to talk about. He wrote an entire book on Lost Highway and in those movies he made about film David Lynch was about 1/3 of the subject matter.
>>
>>63334740
Oh I had no idea, I thought he was just a philosopher
>>
>>63334384
i want to elaborate on the idea of ambiguity you brought up.

Lynch seems to love challenging his audience to question the meaning of things to a distinctly 4th-wall breaking effect. Again and again in his films, there will be little things in dialogue, in acting, in plotting, in cinematography, in sound design and music selection, to imply double meanings and then question the validity of those meanings.

A great example would be Justin Theroux's introduction scene in Mulholland Drive. I don't have the script on-hand, and don't really wanna look it up, but I could swear that his first few lines of dialogue express that he is totally confused about his setting and the situation (the boardroom meeting) that he is in, and has to be reminded. This seems to me to directly express that he is starting a dream, where you end up in places and situations not knowing how you got there but rolling with it.
>>
>>63334802
I like this idea. You could see Theroux's confusion as just him being bewildered at how the executives are all making decisions about his project around him like he's not in the room, but then you could also say he was just thrown in there from nothing and it still can make sense considering the end of the movie. And then there are probably even more interpretations that make just as much sense.
>>
>>63333148
>student films
>masterful use of cinematic technique to create a palpable feeling of unease and disorentation in the audience.

Isn't there another board people like you can shitpost on?
>>
>>63334640

>As in they have a disproportionate white audience.

the same could be said of almost any arthouse director 2bh
>>
>>63333148
Because when you make shit weird and ambiguous, stupid and pretentious people mistake it for genius.
>>
File: 463466.jpg (7 KB, 400x159) Image search: [Google]
463466.jpg
7 KB, 400x159
>>63334449
>I think he's a genuinely shit visual director

You're retarded.
>>
his best was Blue Velvet.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.