[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone got any good old style / retro horror films for me to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: Dunwich_Horror.jpg (73 KB, 412x640) Image search: [Google]
Dunwich_Horror.jpg
73 KB, 412x640
Anyone got any good old style / retro horror films for me to check out? Been on a horror kick really and have enjoyed the films with the 70s/80s "retro" psychedelic feel, like the really weird films with a lot of gore, vibrant colours and a surreal kind of vibe, examples being The Dunwich Horror, Evil Dead, Society, Class of Nuke 'Em High, Eraserhead, Nightmare on Elm Street, the old Hammer Horror films ect. Anyone got suggestions?
>>
>>71868871
I'm on a vintage horror kick, there's some really good ones out there. And the good thing is, the average quality of some of these film niches is so high. Amazon Prime has a number of worthwhile ones. The best ones are pretty mild IMO, the creepy stuff usually sucks but go back far enough and there's not that much creepy garbage to sort through.

Messiah Of Evil
Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors
Dawn Of The Mummy
The Oblong Box
The Terror
The House That Dripped Blood

And I just got finished with a good one called Demons Of The Mind.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-29-06h13m45s223.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-29-06h13m45s223.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>71869429
This movie is excruciatingly boring. It's just Jack Nicholson walking.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-29-06h10m05s60.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-29-06h10m05s60.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>71869461
>>71869429
Talking about The Terror
>>
Posession
>>
>>71869487
>>71869461
It's all about the experience. I got good feelings from the movie and I found it interesting enough to keep me going.

But then again I'm so old money that even Breaking Bad bores me.
>>
>>71869461
How could you not be down with Jack Nicholson and Boris Karloff?
>>
I'm guessing the thread will stop after a few posts, like most movies thread do these days, but i'll give it a try anyway.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2
1987. Story is a mix of other movies like Carrie, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, etc. but it doesn't feel like a hodge podge of these movies. There's a lot of really good looking scenes with vibrant colors and the sureal elements are good.

Also, incest and evil rocking horses
and she gets sucked in by a chalkboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2R6bfj7GNQ
>>
>>71869487
>>71869461
Fuck you, The Terror is great.
>>
Razorback
Cat People (1982)
>>
>>71869734
I like you. What do you think of Cat People 1942 and the sequel?
>>
>>71868871
Dead Alive
Any Cronenberg film
The Reanimator
Super creepy practical effects
>>
>>71869844
>The Reanimator
Dubs checked, I'm looking forward to The Reanimator.
You all better have seen An American Werewolf In London.
>>
If you want an easy watch The House On Haunted Hill was pretty fucking classic.
>>
>>71869633
What's great about it?
>>
Altered States
>>
>>71868871
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-07-11-09h01m51s164.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-07-11-09h01m51s164.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>71869568
It bored me to tears. There is nothing of visual or narrative interest going on. I only watched it because Monte Hellman directed some of it.

>Water plays a major role in Hellman's scenes (as it does in Corman's climax, where the castle is destroyed by a flood), being consistently associated with the supernatural: Andre's manner of riding along the sea's edge (like a character in a Mario Bava film) suggests a man existing between two worlds, and the major stages of his journey into a ghostly realm occur whenever he comes into contact with water. When Andre faints and falls from his horse, ocean water revives him (or, perhaps, signals his transition to a dream state), and it is immediately after this that he first glimpses Helene, the woman "from the sea." During her initial appearance, Helene appears to be floating on water, though she is simply standing on a rock in the ocean (a stunning image which manages to be mysteriously evocative while remaining completely logical), and water proves...

>"I was there when Roger directed these scenes on the stage. The death of Sandra was the last scene to be shot. I orginally arranged for Maurice Seiderman, who had done the eye effect for Jonathan Haze's death scene, to do a reverse stop motion effect for the flesh melting away from Sandra's face, leaving only a skull. The cost was to be $500. Roger refused to pay, so he used a can of caramel syrup instead."
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.