[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>why would he say that name.....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
>why would he say that name.....
>>
>>71709675
>make thread attempting to mock Batman v Superman
>Get BTFO
>make new thread
rinse and repeat eh?
>>
>>71709675
>I'm mad that BvS gets talked about more than Civil War
>>
>Suffice to say, there was always more depth and subtext to the “Martha” moment than the complaints are willing to admit or recognize, and those complaints are still too simplistic and shallow a perception of what is, in fact, a complicated convergence of character arcs and narratives. Itconfuses and shocks Batman, and then the revelation of what’s really being said shifts his perceptions to the point he now sees himself clearly for the first time in years. A singular moment, a revelation that turns a character’s understanding and relationships on their head in a split second, is not a new concept, nor is this the first or most extreme example of such a thingin cinema.

>It’s undeniable that there is much more happening in that scene, and in the context of Batman’s character through time, than the memes and jokes recognize — and yes, often the jokes intentionally overstate things for humorous effect, but I’ve seen the exact same points made in supposedly serious, deeper critical analysis of the film. So I remain perplexed by the stubborn refusal to consider and acknowledge that complexity. I bring that up only because I notice even a lot of the positive reassessments still point to the “Martha” moment as a major problem in the storytelling when it’s among the finer elements in the film’s characterizations.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/03/22/review-batman-v-superman-triumphant/#ecd04513cbdd
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2016/06/28/review-batman-v-superman-ultimate-edition-expands-story-and-wins-praise/#261b16866225
>>
>>71709675
>It's another marvel nu-male upset no one cares about his flicks so he tries to troll superior DC kino episode

god damn this is getting tiring.
>>
Martha. Shit scene. Shit movie.

27%

Done.
>>
File: 1465742699678.jpg (196 KB, 1018x1024) Image search: [Google]
1465742699678.jpg
196 KB, 1018x1024
>>71709831

The purpose of that scene was to tastefully show the audience that Batman now sees Superman as a man with a family and not some alien invader.

'Martha' is set up in the opening scene with a Citizen Kane homage that establishes the word as Bruce Wayne's 'Rosebud'. But, as it's actually spoken by the father character, you get a complex series of associations where Bruce suddenly sees Superman as a father figure, who then - when Lois intervenes - morphs into a reflection of himself. You also have this strange fear of motherhood with Bruce as he dreams that Martha Wayne returns from the dead as a monstrous bat (that metaphorically gives birth to Batman), but then he resolves himself to saving Martha Kent - who was, of course, labeled a 'witch' for (again metaphorically) giving birth to Superman.
>>
>>71709864
/board
>>
>>71709864
>>71710143
its an obsessed marvelfag replies to himself episode
>>
WHY
>>
>>71709864
>superhero movies are supposed to be fun and colorful with maximum quips!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.