[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did director Zack Snyder turn Batman into The Punisher?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
Why did director Zack Snyder turn Batman into The Punisher?
>>
File: 1465742699678.jpg (196 KB, 1018x1024) Image search: [Google]
1465742699678.jpg
196 KB, 1018x1024
It occurred to me the other day that, by giving us the origin and death of Superman leading into the Justice League, he's transformed the death of Superman from a largely meaningless comic book event into the sacrifice necessary to elevate a dark, cynical, "realistic" world into a new "Heroic Age." So there's yet another reason the religious imagery isn't meaningless. Viewed from that perspective, Superman isn't real-world Jesus, not "Space Jesus," but he's certainly become "comic book Jesus."

Let's run down all the different ways that "meaningless" symbolism has meaning within the context of the films:
1) It's a visual metaphor for what being Superman is - a guy trying to be a hero when his nature and environment conspire to make him appear god-like.

2) To clue us in that the people in his world are thinking of him as a god, unconsciously deifying him, and providing the answer to Perry's largely rhetorical question: "Do you know how people would react if they knew there was someone like this out there?" Well, here's the answer - when they see walking, talking proof that not only is there extraterrestrial intelligence, but that it's superior to them in almost every conceivable way, they try to turn it into an object of worship - a god.

3) To highlight the dichotomy that exists between perception and reality, an important factor when the discussion turns to magic in the DC universe, and one that's going to become increasingly important, I believe.

4) It serves a metatextual acknowledgement of Superman's place in comic book history. He's the god-like figure that ushered in the age of the superhero the "founder of the religion," as it were, and as depicted in the films, his sacrifice serves to bring Bruce back into the light, so to speak, and to elevate a dark, cynical world into one where heroes can once again live and breathe.

Not bad. All things considered.
>>
>>71703662
That's pretty much the same reason why Batman's arc starts with Miller's TDKR's version. They're destroying their heroes in order to build them again from the ground up.

This guy talked about all this too:
thegekdom.com/home/2016/4/30/a-thesis-on-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

>On the flip side, Zack Snyder does the exact same thing with Batman and his decision to start this Batman’s character arc from the end of his career like Frank Miller’s Batman was a stroke of genius. As this version of Batman is the most merciless, darkest and cynical Batman we have ever seen, equal to Frank Miller’s Batman in every way.
[...]
>That’s called hope and striving for greater good. Superman instilled that hope in Bruce Wayne and at last Batman/Bruce Wayne rose back up from his cynical darkness and becomes a more hopeful and forgiving character and Superman brought that change in him! From that perspective this movie works as an origin tale for this version of Batman as well. Ironically, he didn’t brand Lex Luthor in the prison which visually represents how he’s recovering his lost moral ethics and values.

>As you realized, this movie is a destructive art piece. The one which deconstructs 76 years of Superman and Batman mythology (along with all the preconceived notions that comes along with it) and breaks these characters only to build them from the scratch again, to turn them into the kind of Superman and Batman you love, the one which you refer to as “My Superman and My Batman”. When Justice League 1 comes around you will finally witness the canonical Superman and Batman that you love, because these two characters have been through a crucible which changes them into the heroes you love.
>>
>>71703690
Something that didn't immediately hit me until I thought about how Bruce is presented in the movie - he's seeking "justice" against Clark when no one else is. Even the government's only looking to establish a dialogue with him, not bring him for any sort of crime. That's way out of bounds for mainstream Bruce.

Even if he holds Clark partially to blame for what happened in the Battle of Metropolis, he still doesn't hold that up to Alfred as the reason he's going after him. He tries to justify it to Alfred as a preemptive measure, effectively going out to kill Clark not because of what he's done, but rather because of what he *might* do.
>>
File: Red_Hood_(Jason_Todd).jpg (37 KB, 250x330) Image search: [Google]
Red_Hood_(Jason_Todd).jpg
37 KB, 250x330
>>71703514
They were going to use the Red Hood for that role, but he's already the Joker, so what else could they do?
>>
Just finished watching Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition.

Literally 11/10.

Pure Kino.

Honestly it's hard to describe how fucking hyped I am for the sequel with Darkseid.
>>
>>71703741
Edgelord Red Hood is such a shit character. Ret conning Jason Todd was a mistake
>>
File: prayer-warrior[2].jpg (75 KB, 1678x1049) Image search: [Google]
prayer-warrior[2].jpg
75 KB, 1678x1049
I reached nirvana watching this film
>>
>>71703812

The amount of people who suck the dick of Under the Red Hood bewilders me.
>>
>>71703864
Under the hood is a great small movie, the reason why people like it is simple: the "human" and emotional side of the characters and the action of the movie are the same shit.
>>
>>71703864
Im not the biggest comic book fan, but i did vote to kill robin when death in the family was coming out.

I stopped reading comics shortly after but it I remember being annoyed when they brought him back.
>>
>>71703662
That's a way better Dawn of Justice poster than any of the shit we got.
>>
BvS was a bad movie
>>
>>71704036
it's not opposite day today
>>
>>71703998
>I remember being annoyed when they brought him back.
Why? You phoned an 800 number to vote if a character in comics, a medium where no one stays dead forever, it wasn't exactly a legally binding referendum.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.