[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apocalypse Trilogy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: The Thing.jpg (21 KB, 233x300) Image search: [Google]
The Thing.jpg
21 KB, 233x300
I'm the anon from last week who watched They Live and went on a Carpenter streak.

Here's my view on them:

The Thing:
>Great movie.
>I love how that beginning sequence starts with a "WTF! Why is he firing at the dog!" and then it turns out to make complete sense later on.
>No jumpscares. I really hate that shitty horror movies need to put that sound to make you jump and backwards racionalize it as fear. Carpenter really believed in his work.
>Great soundtrack. Once again, Carpenter made a cohesive music use: no annoying high pitched violins to try to force me into an edgy feeling to get ready for the jumpscare, which is just annoying.
>Characters are smart. OH MY GOD! This is so GOOOOOD! Why is it that in every single movie the people in them are simply retarded? This was the one of the few times I got into a horror movie because the protagonists aren't stupid and their deaths are reasonable.
>That black guy. I think Carpenter makes the black dudes in his movies somewhat like an unsung hero. It's kind like they are the antagonists, but they got just as much reason to be themselves and behave like they do.
>One of us is the killer. I love this thematic so much and I really appreciate it when it's well made.
>That ending. I don't really need to say anything about it.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of stories derived from The Thing regarding visual aspects, just check Resident Evil and Parasite Eve series.

If you anons have any other "One of us is the killer" themed movies to recommend, I'd appreciate it. So far I've watched Identity, Mind Hunters and Red Riding Hood. Any others?

>To be continued
>>
File: Prince_of_darkness.jpg (17 KB, 220x344) Image search: [Google]
Prince_of_darkness.jpg
17 KB, 220x344
>>71552263
Prince of Darkness:
>Great again.
>Perfect soundtrack
>Deaths are somewhat stupid-ish compared to The Thing but they are still good.
>Movie actually got me to worry about hobbos.
>MOTHER-FUCKING-PRIEST WITH AN AXE!
>That Satan!
>It was good, but not god tier.
>>
I like all that is being said here Also I'm not a robot...I'm hungover.
>>
>>71552263
>>71552379
In the Mouth of Madness:
What the fuck? I thought this one was supposed to connect the first two movies, since Satan was represented as something coming to Earth. How are the movies supposed to be a trilogy if they have nothing in common other than the director and the end of the world premise?
>The 90s. It seems like this entire movie somewhat failed because it moved away from the 80s movies, from the soundtrack to the narration style, including the visual language.
>Shitty edgy violins with jumpscares (that don't actually make you jumpscare).
>No good foward moving soundtrack.
>Mad villagers are just staring and slowly walking around instead of doing the smart thing and rushing. It might be explained as Sutter Kane's poor writing skills, but I don't really buy it.
>Disappointing development. The beginning of the movie makes it look like it will be a story about a man losing his mind, yet a good deal of the movie is about the woman who ultimately disappears, making her complete sub-plot unnecessary, while leaving a good deal of Sam Neill's character unexplored.
>What's up with those crosses?
>"I'm gonna chop this man down because he knows the ending." This could have worked if we knew there was a reason for him to do that. The whole premisse of the movie is that even the most skeptical, cynical and rational of the minds could go crazy with the right approach, but we just lose that curve all together.
>All those freaky people with the eyes changes aren't really explored.
I'm also guessing this movie was what caused the Cthulhu fever and all that Lovecraftian thing. Well, if this is what it's supposed to be, then I'm disappointed.

This whole movie felt like something good, but not really well executed. I hope this doesn't derail into a capeshit war, but it kinda feels like Batman vs Superman.
>>
>>71552263
Not a bad thread, OP. Well done
>>
File: BloodTestThing.jpg (143 KB, 878x424) Image search: [Google]
BloodTestThing.jpg
143 KB, 878x424
>>71552263
>No jumpscares. I really hate that shitty horror movies need to put that sound to make you jump and backwards racionalize it as fear. Carpenter really believed in his work.

that's not true, there's one during the blood test. but it gets a pass because it's one of the best jump scares there is. happens 100% in-shot (no sudden pans or cuts or things popping into the shot) and totally unexpected due to the misdirection of MacReady's conversation

also when the doc is using the defibrillators. but that one's pure kino too.
>>
>>71552876
Mouth of Madness is very underrated.

Is basically a horror comedy and thats what I love about it. It gave me some really scary chills as well as made me laugh out loud like during the end scene.
>>
>>71552263
Dead Mary. It's Evil Dead meets The Thing. Very low budget, but the actors are all good and the soundtrack and cinematography are pretty well done.

It's not a great movie, but it's better than a lot of shit I've seen praised. The characters are smart, and when they do shit things (I wouldn't call these things dumb), it makes sense from what we know of them.

It's ambiguous like The Thing, and it's got the same kind of paranoia, but with a setting and plot that are very Evil Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwRBqi72D7A

The bloody mary/dead mary thing is sort of a red herring. Or not. It's ambiuous, but it's not an important part of the movie anyway.

Be warned, it starts slow, you get to know the characters and the setting before shit hits the fan.

Anyway, that my under-the-radar rec for you.
>>
>>71553093
nvm just rewatched the defibrillators scene and it doesn't qualify as a jump scare. it's just surprising.

the blood test does though 'cause of the sfx.
>>
>>71552263
I'd really like to hear someone do an honest review of every m night shyamalan movie.

I thought the Visit was a redeeming movie to get him back to the good stuff
>>
>>71553232
The Visit was too predictable in every single way. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but when the characters and the story aren't that interesting, it becomes very noticable and a flaw.

I think the movie might have been better if it wasn't found footage-style. I feel that the setting would have been better explored (and creepier/more beautiful) as a normal movie.
>>
Shoot to Kill

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but there is a "one of us is the killer" plot... sort of. it's more a "one of them is the killer" plot. It's a great movie though.

More chase/wilderness than horror, but worth your time.
>>
>>71553093
>>71553182
To be fair, the defibrillator scene really got me. I wasn't expecting that and it was the trully horrific thing because it wasn't a forced "look, we are scary!" Way different from the typical "silence, violin, BOO!"

>>71553032
>>71552480
Thanks, anon.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.