[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really enjoyed this. and you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: birdman-poster-yellow.jpg (358 KB, 1200x849) Image search: [Google]
birdman-poster-yellow.jpg
358 KB, 1200x849
I really enjoyed this. and you?
>>
9/10 execellent themes and dialogue. Some of the stabilizing camera effects were em arrassing though
>>
File: 1466247908657.gif (3 MB, 410x187) Image search: [Google]
1466247908657.gif
3 MB, 410x187
>>71167034
it's brilliant, top tier acting and dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-fQ-xd1whA
>>
birdman? more like tour-de-forced

the virtuosity on display evidently is enough for many to praise this stunt to the sky, but even that virtue isn't all it's cracked up to be: a lot of the performances suffer as the result of the long-take format. keaton's teeth-grinding approach is up and down, and emma stone appears completely lost without the editorial control afforded by traditional cutting. (norton on the other hand is a force of nature and puts everyone else in the cast to shame)
the script is riddled with "punchy" lines that whiff terribly, and the "enigmatic" final shot is a copout (especially frustrating because the film teases us over and over again with faux-suicides).

but mostworst is that the film is a daisy chain of potshots. this is meant to be an "incisive" film but it's more like a manic stabbing at an empty pillowcase with a butterknife. what exactly is this film's perspective, besides the fact that everyone and everything is riddled with bullshit? the only truth "birdman" actually clarifies is that inarritu's purview is hopelessly jaundiced and pathetic. this junk isn't really inside riggan thompson's head (despite the gimmick-laden scenes of "introspection"), it's just underneath his wig. a simpleminded piece of unenjoyable trash whose countless shortcomings are masked by competent execution of choices made in the pre-production process, and in some ways one of 2014s worst releases.
>>
No I didn't

Pretentious broadway circus-clown-cuckshit
>>
>>71167364
Calm down expert, nobody asked your profesional take on it, you were just asked if you liked or not.
>>
>>71167470
it's carbonara
>>
>>71167364
>copy pasta
do you have your own opinion? are you capable of one original thought that is not a meme or a quote?
>>
not sure

I'll wait for more opinions itt before I decide
>>
>>71167463
>Pretentious broadway circus-clown-cuckshit

But the movie makes fun of pretentious broadway circus-clown-cuckshit anon
>>
Loved it. I haven't really seen any other movie deal with this idea that we want our fiction to be as "real" as possible, while we keep trying to bring more and more fiction into our reality.
Does anyone have any theories about the meteorite shot and the birds at the beach shots?
>>
>>71167608
>i need someone else to give me an opinion

please be bait
>>
>>71167667
Leave it. He's reddit
>>
Loved it.
>>
File: Jellyfish.png (1 MB, 1920x1034) Image search: [Google]
Jellyfish.png
1 MB, 1920x1034
>>71167702
>the birds at the beach shots

You mean this one?

It's in reference to Riggan's jellyfish story.

As for the meteorite i'm not so sure.

Maybe it's symbolic of a celebrity's career. Meteorites burn bright and travel far, only to eventually crash or burn up on entering an atmosphere.
>>
>>71167034
I love it, and I hated the Revenant (at least the cinematic style). Is this normal?
>>
>>71167892
Man thats a pretty good guess. I'm gunna keep that in my head canon. You are literally the first post on /tv/ that has in anyway benefited me.
>>
>>71167791
>>71167667
>makes fun of
Too much cringy shit by Norton.
>reddit
Here we go again.
>>
>>71167947
Yeah, I'd say he's a big guy.
>>
>>71167364
That's all labels. You just label everything. That's so fuckin' lazy... You just... You're a lazy fucker. You know what this is? You even know what that is? You don't, You know why? Because you can't see this thing if you don't have to label it. You mistake all those little noises in your head for true knowledge.
There's nothing here about technique! There's nothing in here about structure! There's nothing in here about intentions! It's just a bunch of crappy opinions, backed up by even crappier comparisons... You write a couple of paragraphs and you know what? None of this cost you fuckin' anything! The Fuck! You risk nothing! Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!
>>
File: 452354346.jpg (21 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
452354346.jpg
21 KB, 360x360
>>71168760
>>
>>71167034

I loved it. Very sad story though if you don't believe he flew.
>>
>>71167892
isn't the jellyfish story+imagery used to convey that he is in fact dead or at the very least dying as later in the film the same jellyfish shot is shown again as if to say it's the last thing he saw while alive
besides he references his own death throughout the movie with lines like "i wasn't even present in my own life and now i don't have it and i'm never going to have it"
>>
>>71168857
I think he redeemed himself. Shooting his nose/ beak off was another metaphor. he finally let birdman go
>>
>>71168921
So you don't think he jumped? Though I do believe he redeemed himself as well.
>>
>>71168969
I think he flew, but it was just a metaphor for his daughter finally forgiving him
>>
>>71167034
One of my favorite movies of the year.
My top 3 of that year (in no particular order)

1. Birdman
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Interstellar
>>
DUDE ART LMAO
>>
why did his daughter look up? he 100% jumped and killed himself right
>>
>>71169147
>Interstellar
Lol, by no means a perfect movie, but it gets so much undue hate here because it's Nolan.
>>
>>71169089
See it gets weird in the hospital at the end. That scene always feels like it rides the line between real and symbolic/dreamlike. Every other scene seems real if you believe he's psychotic.
>>
>>71169147
Same list for me except switch GBH for Nightcrawler.
>>
>>71169253
Oh shit. I forgot about Nightcrawler. That was exquisite as well. Thanks mungo :)
>>
>>71169147
i agree with that list. grand budapest hotel gets overlooked because it's so weird
>>
I hated the Edward Norton character, maybe it was supposed to be that way, but I just was more invested and focused on Keaton to hear his bullshit melodrama.
>>
>>71169219
I don't know if he is psychotic or not. It is just that no one understands him. Like a teenager who wants to an hero because his parents just don't understand.
>>
>>71169315
The end makes me tear up because it's so bittersweet. :'}
>>
>>71167034
I really liked it but I don't really know what it meant.

...So he starred in some famous cape shit movies a couple of years ago and this new play is his final opportunity to achieve greatness outside of Birdman or else die a schmuck. (He isn't satisfied with having just Birdman because he wants to prove he can be artistic or something, and isn't just a lucky guy who got to lead a corporate flick) His daughter doesn't like him but I don't understand how this relates to the conflict. Birdman follows him around, and I think Birdman himself represents the tempting power of easy but unearned fame and fortune.

He makes his play and puts himself all into the performance, and for some reason has to die because of it? Is he saying that making true art will take a piece out of you/transform you in an unchangeable way forever? ?

Jellyfish?

??????
>>
>>71169577
You got the important parts.
>>
>its a /tv/ is massively in favour of Birdman and not in a clear 50/50 divide
100%reddit
>>
>show within a show
>le ambiguous ending
Fuck this contrived movie. Michael Keaton doesn't deserve a "career revival".
>>
>>71167892
>Maybe it's symbolic of a celebrity's career

Maybe, but then it wouldn't make much sense for it to have also been in The Revenant
>>
>>71170137
>ambiguous ending
what about it was ambiguous? it just shows, just like everything else in the movie, that he's been dead since the start of the movie
>>
>>71170666
this
it's not hard to understand

Either he was dead all the time, or he actually killed himself shooting. And that simply because there NEVER was, at any time, actual superpowers in the real world.
>>
>>71171046
also Keaton's acting is literally 10/10
>>
>>71171046
>>71170666
you faggots have brain damage. everything was real except for the flying. he literally kills himself at the end by jumping
>>
>>71171110
>everything was real except for the flying.
"everything is real expect the part I don't understand"
>>
>>71171240
he wasn't flying you moron. there was evidence all over the film

1. when he trashes the room he goes from using his powers to throw shit to using his hands when zach walks in
2. he flys into the theater but the taxi driver chases him for money implying he didn't pay for the ride
>>
>>71171110

Why does frogface look down at the ground with a face as if she sees nothing, then looks up at the sky and gives an open smile?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.