[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are arthouse films always trying to be depressive and nihilistic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: farthouse.jpg (386 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
farthouse.jpg
386 KB, 720x1080
Why are arthouse films always trying to be depressive and nihilistic?
>>
Amor fati

they affirm life
>>
earnestness feeds nihilism. people who believe in simplicity soon find out the world is not so simple. if they can't accomodate the complexity thru irony, they fall into nihilism.

look at militarist japan with its absolutism in truth and morality. after the war, there were nihiistic trends cuz japanese figured everything had been a lie. suddenly, nothing was worth believing and there were no rules.we saw also trends of this in the 60s in japan. japan never came to grips with itself morally but only achieved stability thru economic achievement. but, with the long recession, things are getting worse now more than ever with even the economic stability in question. japanese kids are turning into comicbook/videogame addicted nihilistic goons. all about lily chou chou presented this dilemma this strikingly.
>>
File: 123123.jpg (419 KB, 1509x1934) Image search: [Google]
123123.jpg
419 KB, 1509x1934
>>70955741
fuck that. I want something happy
>>
>>70955741
That's what the viewer does as a coping response. Most such films don't present a sliver of hope by themselves.
>>
>>70955803
it has to do with coming to accept that life is sometimes without a sliver of hope
>>
>>70955926
Why does arthouse = about life as an umbrella concept?
>>
>>70956010
every film is about representing life in some way or any other
>>
>>70955799
I can't say I've ever detected any nihilism to speak of in manga, anime, games and otaku culture.
>>
>>70956093
No, they're about representing "lives", not "life".
>>
>>70955665
>it's not in English so it must be arthouse
>>
>>70956182
fuck off commie
>>
>>70956182
Non-english languages are art though, they fulfill no practical purpose, just aesthetic ones
>>
>>70955665
I heard she was a huge anal whore. In fact Audry Hepburn was one so much so that she got Prostate Cancer.
>>
Having no budget makes people pissy
>>
>>70955665
Ozu was not an arthouse filmmaker. He had a lot of mainstream success and was a steady employee of Shochiku Studios

Tokyo Story isn't nihilistic, its just about coming to terms with the realities of family life against popular conceptions (idealism) weighted by the difficulties of postwar life for everyday Japanese. Ultimately life goes on, just look at the final shots of every Noriko trilogy film. Its not of the people, but the world around that still continues and presses forward.
>>
>>70956296
what?
>>
>>70958106
Чтo?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.