[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it with the mid-late 90s and midlife crisis movies, stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: fight.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fight.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
What is it with the mid-late 90s and midlife crisis movies, stories about breaking out of a dull life, criticizing suburbia, etc. Fight Club, American Beauty, Falling Down, The Matrix, The Truman Show; all similar themes in the span of 5 years and most are considered some of the best Hollywood movies of the time.

Why did Gen X have such a hard time entering adulthood?
>>
The 1990s were soulless and totally lacking in actual challenge.

It was a material dreamworld. People had to invent crises.
>>
>>70695221
American Psycho - the 80's had just happened. 'Nuff said there. If you were not alive at the time just know materialism was everything. EVERYTHING.

Trainspotting - Only saw the movie. Drugs been doing their thing forever. The movie seemed to be just a snapshot of that lifestyle, in that place, at that time. A junkie at any place at any time will have troubles.

Fight Club - Feminism has come to completely undermine masculinity. The 70's and 80's were leading up to it and the 90's was the climax of the White Knight, malleable bitch man who apologizes for everything because they have caused blacks and women so much grief. You see the main character has subjugated his smallest right to self defense in the interest of running with the pack. Very real. Happening right now.
>>
>>70695939
Kind of like what the right wing is doing now on /pol/
>>
>>70696219
The trope of the demasculated man is very apparent in the 90-00's sitcoms. Bumbling, usually overweight husband who's wife and kids constantly undermining him. Home Improvement, Raymond, King of Queens, etc. Married with children started the trend but Al always seemed to keep his dignity intact.
>>
>>70696368
Weird because those sitcoms are now viewed as anti-feminist, as it propagated that men can bumbling idiots yet still do no wrong.
>>
the 90s were the opposite of the 10s. People had too much money and didn't know what the fuck to do with their free time
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (223 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
223 KB, 1920x1080
I was born in 1984. The 90s were an interesting time to grow up. My generation was constantly fed entertainment and trends. To this day with things like constant reboots (tmnt, power rangers, transformers, gi joe) we haven't been allowed to forget the childish shit we grew up with. The media is always trying to lure us back in claiming the material has grown up with us.

Pic related. I paid to see this as a 32 year old man.
>>
>>70696487
Everything is viewed as anti-feminists by feminists
>>
>>70696566
And everything is viewed as pro-feminist by non-feminists
>>
>>70696487
Welcome to feminism. Where anything can be skewed into misogyny with enough mental gymnastics.

Look at modern commercials. The man is ALWAYS depicted as the moronic, messy, lazy spouse. Can't cook, can't clean, can't dress the kids properly.
>>
>>70696750

>not being able to dress their Wifes son properly

I just look like I'm fumbling so I cN touch his asshole
>>
>>70696750
>The man is ALWAYS
Nah, I started paying attention to this because of all the bitching, it's pretty even. Women have this very specific type of commercial role where they just dance like morons while a voiceover describes a product, it's way more humiliating and demeaning then men playing the fool in an actual skit
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.