[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finally getting around to watching the first season
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: truedetective.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
truedetective.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
I'm finally getting around to watching the first season of True Detective, and I've been loving it so far, but I have a gripe. The long take action scene in episode 4. It kind of just shit all over the meticulously slow pacing the show had carefully maintained that drew you in with character and story in favour of a flashy for flashy's sake action sequence that wouldn't be out of place in a video game or Michael Bay movie. Yet it got endlessly praised as a highlight. What the fuck?
>>
I'm just here for my files
>>
File: stop.webm (1 MB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
stop.webm
1 MB, 900x600
>>70155832
Even without long-takes, it's still a great episode because you get insight into Rust's past as an undercover narc. The fact that he keeps his cool during this makes you speculate on the shit he's probably been through and how what is currently happening probably isn't even the worst of if.

The great direction and long-takes are only the icing on a very good cake. also after 3 weeks of a slow burn, this ep was a great little climax.

People who say that it was pointless don't know dick.

The action fit perfectly and was in service of shedding light on Rust's past. Great direction. Perfect build up of tension. ep 4 was perfectly executed in every way.
>>
>>70156059
Goddamn, this. I didn't even realize it was a one take shot the first time I watched. Not only was I completely drawn in, but it was very well done. Unbelievable tension and great payoff to the first episodes.
>>
EEEEASY
>>
File: 1464476658105.jpg (38 KB, 667x720) Image search: [Google]
1464476658105.jpg
38 KB, 667x720
>>
>>70156106

They added the inclusion of the helicopter flying above as a way to break the scene up into 2 parts if they fucked up. They didn't.
>>
>>70156139
DONT SHOOT

DONT SHOOT
>>
>>70156341

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
90 SECONDS MOTHERFUCKER
>>
The season was ruined by the second half.
>>
>>70156445
I disagree. I remember specifically thinking that perhaps they'd built up the cult too much and would be able to deliver, but then being blown away by Carcosa. And I cried at the end with McConaughey
>>
>>70155832

That long take is praised because it's a greatly shot scene with great atmosphere, I guess. In the context of the show itself, it was fucking pointless and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
>>
>>70156530
What do you think of the 2nd season? I liked it so much more.
>>
Why does noone ever talk about the fact that the ending of True Detective is LITERALLY just the game LA Noire?
>>
>>70156059
>People who say that it was pointless don't know dick.

but it WAS pointless and the makers don't even hide the fact. Rust even fucking points it out during that scene when he finally says "wish I had done this from the start" and takes Ginger hostage. The entire scene was for the sake of the action and nothing more.
>>
>>70156571
Only seen the first episode to be honest. Didn't hate it, but based on the season's reception, I've been hesitant to watch it.
>>
>>70156610
because ive tried but i have no friends
>>
>>70156636
An eight-hour season is going to have some filler. It might as well be exciting, beautiful filler instead of more scenes about Marty's shitty home life.
>>
i think what Rust saw at Carcosa was real.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (56 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
56 KB, 1024x576
>>70156139
EASYYYY
>>
>>70156673
I thought it started a bit slow too, but it had me until the end after a couple of episodes. Some really great characters and moments.
>>
File: 6 minute shot sped up 3x.webm (3 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
6 minute shot sped up 3x.webm
3 MB, 300x169
I like the slow, dreamy way the camera moves, no whipping back and forth to heighten the "action."
>>
>>70156815
I really want to watch season 1 again, I guess I'll check out 2 as well
>>
>>70156673
the hate for season 2 is way overblown.

It's hard to follow unless you can remember every mumbled little name and reference in every episode, but the atmosphere and story are great.
>>
>>70155832
I think all of the people saying it's "pointless" are just entirely missing the fucking point

As careful, meticulous, and planned as things can be - shit can get real, real quick. And that's the entire theme of the episode.
>>
>>70156636
>The entire scene was for the sake of the action and nothing more.

damn you are dense. that scene was a great establisher for some stuff we hadnt seen Rust do before. The fact that someone has such commando skills, and that the same person, in the season finale is shitting his pants at some occult force makes you all more terrified of the imminent an unknown to man danger. It worked very well at that.
>>
Get ready for some major disappointment for the next episodes, just pretend the show ends in there and call it a day.
>>
>>70156999
This honestly

it's all downhill from green ears
>>
>>70155832 (You)
>>
>>70156673
first 3 episodes are pretty meh. Then end of 4 onward it picks up tremendously then the last ep is falls off a little IMO. Worth watching.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.