[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
let's get a documentary thread going! recommendations, lists,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 188x268
let's get a documentary thread going! recommendations, lists, reviews, complaints, etc...

pic related, what did you think about this?
>>
>>62712552
>pic related, what did you think about this?

More horrifying than most horror movies. Seeing an old man re-enact himself butchering a baby using a teddy bear as a prop is way worse than actually seeing a baby get killed. And considering how clueless and brainwashed just about everyone involved was, the movie played out like a bad trip, except with a lot more rape, murder, and helplessness.

Seeing that Chinese guy pipe up about how his family was murdered and then start, like, almost apologizing for it because he's a crew member on a film about the state police was a weird mix of heart-wrenching hopelessness and the surreal. Everything about it was absurd, nonsensical, and brutal.
>>
>>62712633
have you seen the sequel?
>>
>>62712552
To see:
My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Hot Girls Wanted
Blackfish
Murderball
The Bridge
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Triumph des Willens
Dogtown and Z-Boys
Food, Inc.
Red Army
The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz
Taxi to the Dark Side
Hearts and Minds
Best Worst Movie
Sicko
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
The Corporation
Crumb
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Man on Wire
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Beauty Day
Koyaanisqatsi
Senna
Into the Abyss: A Tale of Death, A Tale of Life
>>
>>
Roger Ebert doc on Netflix is actually really really fucking good.
>>
>>62712750

I haven't. Been on my list forever, but it's not often that I'm in the mood to have my soul crushed. I'm working up to it, I think.
>>
>>62712827
Well, that's something.

I would recomend all of Herzog's.
Bells from the Deep
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
Grizzly Man
Happy People - A Year in the Taiga
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Incident at Loch Ness (not a documentary)
My Best Friend

Also been watching Port Protection lately, it's a series about Port Protection, Alaska. I found it astonishing.
>>
Question: What makes a good documentary to you? Also, what makes a documentary bad for you?
>>
File: september11_b.jpg (55 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
september11_b.jpg
55 KB, 320x480
>>
idiot here, any good docs about the vietnam war or something with modern american combat footage in the middle east?
>>
>>62712552
Bukowski: Born into this
Very interesting author, worth checking out

Steve Jobs - The lost interview
Jobs in 1995 interview they thought was lost, pretty good.

John Denver - Country Boy
His songs still sound so good.
>>
>>62712552
>>62712633
indonesian here. its alright. fun movie
>>
>>62713392
"Restrepo" is very good, about war in Afganistan, real footage of combat troops.
>>
>>62713423
If your a fan of bukowski I recommend The Bukowski tapes, 4 hours of pure bukowski at his most wasted
>>
>>62713392

enjoy senpai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2ml82lc7s
>>
>>62713353
Five stars. Two.
>>
>>62713530
Sounds interesting, I'll look for it, thanks anon.
Bukowski is like the poet made for 4chan. No luck with girls until age 24.
>>
>>62712552
One of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. The part at the end when he starts gagging as he wanders around the rooftop where he killed all those people in the past was gripping
>>
File: Echoes.jpg (105 KB, 614x478) Image search: [Google]
Echoes.jpg
105 KB, 614x478
>>62712827
>>62713040
>Lessons of Darkness
>La Soufrière
>Wings of Hope
>Echoes From a Sombre Empire
>On Death Row
Best Herzog.
>>
>>62713603
Aha yeah. But to be fair he had sex with an unbelievable amount of women later on. I say unbelievable because he seems like a drunk who exaggerated his masculinity...not unlike the usual 4channer
>>
>>62713811
was Bukowski a chad
>>
File: Super_Size_Me_Poster.jpg (26 KB, 245x350) Image search: [Google]
Super_Size_Me_Poster.jpg
26 KB, 245x350
Here's a good one. It's about how bad fast food is for the human body. It's literally poison. The guy almost died.
>>
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Such a comfy and great documentary
>>
>>62713888
it's better the whisky version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMwCfTBjLaw
>>
>>62713853
Read Women by Bukowski, he basically is fuckig a new women ever chapter.
>>
>>62714007
Women happened after he got famous and got groupies. He had severe acne and facial scars when he was young. He tells the story of his prom with his face wrapped in toilet paper to stop acne bleeding, he is too afraid to go into dance hall and just watches alone from outside everyone else.
>>
>>62712552

Really thought provoking. Those poor men will have seen what communism did to China, Russia, North Korea, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.

Gulags, salt mines, reeducation camps, famines, mass starvation, genocide, loss of liberties and a reign of terror.

In our comfy world, killing is wrong. But imagine what went through their minds as they had to put their humanity aside, and kill in order to prevent a far greater evil befalling their country.
>>
Harlan County USA was pretty good

I also really like American Movie. It's probably my favorite film
>>
>>62714007
nah you don't need to tell me more to be honest family
>>
>>62714070
Did you even see the movie?
>>
>>62713489
I love watching guys who cling to machismo culture talk about shit that is very visibly hard for them to deal with. Not in a psychopathic way or in a way that derives me pleasure from their misery, it's just something that is so difficult to actually portray as an actor, it's just so real.
>>
>>62714104

Yeah. They were just small businessman, ticket sellers and the like, and they were terrified the communists would take their livelihoods away. If the 20th Century taught us anything, it's that these men fought a horrible, totalitarian ideology.
>>
>>62714138
All for another totalitarian dictator so they can live the lives of psychotic gangsters.
>>
>>62712552
Horrifying, surreal, hypnotic, insane.

An extraordinary piece of film that will probably go down in history as one of the best documentaries ever made. The final scene is one of the most powerful things I've ever watched.

Has anyone seen The Look of Silence, its sequel?
>>
>>62714170

But fewer people died than would have under a Communist regime.
>>
>>62714206

Anon, the documentary isn't about the politics of it. It doesn't have an opinion on whether more or less people would have died if this party had been in power over that party. It's a portrait of a group of men who were told, "these people are the enemy, you can do whatever you want to them and there will be no repercussions", and how they behaved--and still behave--when given that blank check.

They behaved like animals, and the film observes how they deal with that--either by hiding behind propaganda that they half-believe, or lying to themselves.

The movie isn't a commentary on communism. This could have been about any number of men, in any number of countries throughout history. By looking at it from a political angle, I think you might be missing the human one.
>>
>>62714206
Because living in a corrupt Islamic hellhole is so much better.
>>
>>62713489
>>62714114
If you can track down Baker Boys: Inside the Surge, I think it's significantly better than Restrepo. I saw it on TV once. Not sure if it's on Netflix or anything similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00QtpihpkA
>>
>>62713484
>tfw you finally see someone with the same nationality
>>
>>62714070
You dont know the massive propaganda in indonesia. No one can even confirm about the sudden rise of Soeharto to be president. Also not all people fighting the communist are the giod guys. The same as not all the ALLEGED communists are bad guys
>>
>>62714270
This
>>
>>62712552
What's great about this documentary is that it's well put together from a cinematic point of view too. The scene with the village, the screaming and the flames is really well done and the cinematography during the final interrogation scene is brilliant.

The sequel is equally as good, but for different reasons.

If you haven't seen the directors cut you haven't seen it. The commentary is also like watching another film in itself. The insight Oppenheimer and Based Herzog add really enhances it.

I hadn't considered that he insisted on bringing his younger relatives in to watch the film was like him using them as an emotional barrier to protect himself from what he was watching.
>>
File: TheSaltoftheEarth2014.jpg (13 KB, 215x283) Image search: [Google]
TheSaltoftheEarth2014.jpg
13 KB, 215x283
Did anyone else see The Salt of the Earth? I liked it a lot.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.