[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you do if you had $100,000 in your travel budget?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1362675643974.jpg (707 KB, 3240x2160) Image search: [Google]
1362675643974.jpg
707 KB, 3240x2160
What would you do if you had $100,000 in your travel budget?
>Would you hire a team to bushwhack through the Darien?
>Would you charter a megayacht for two days?
>Would you go to Vegas and blow it all on a ladbro weekend?
>Would you one-true it and travel for as long as possible?
>>
>>949621
I currently have over $91000 in my savings and investments so I can give you an actual reply to this instead of just dreaming...

I'm going to spend the next 7 years of my life traveling almost full time but also mixing it with work in other countries. In the next year I'm planning on touring around North America on my motorbike before quitting my job. Afterwards doing a year of work-holiday jobs in either NZ or Australia and then traveling in that region for as long as I feel like it. Then move on to backpacking around East and South-East Asia for a year and then work for a year somewhere over there teaching English before spending another year traveling through South Asia and Iran. So at that point, 6-7 years from now I'll be in Europe where I plan on getting a masters degree and then who knows. I'll be in my 30s by then, I'll probably look for a more stable job and try to start a family, either in Europe or back here in Canada (dual citizen).
>>
>>949631
How did a twenty-something amass so much savings?
>>
If I had unlimited cash I would do one of those 8-10 month around the world cruises with my wife. It would take a lot more than 100K.
>>
>>949636
>not op or this guy >>949631

$100K isnt that much money. I had $80,000K in savings by the time I was 23 and all I did was join the Navy. Saved my bonuses and invested most of my monthly pay.
>>
>>949636
I'm in my late 20s now to be honest with you. A few years till I'm 30 :(

I have an average job but I live in an apartment owned by my parents and I take public transport as it only takes me 15 minutes to get to my job. I get a lot of perks in this job though like a free gym. I spend very little money on day-to-day life, I've already traveled through most of Europe and North America. That's my biggest expense in life.

Also if you must know, my parents are middle class, they just invested well in the property market and own a house and 2 apartments. They still have a mortgage on their house.

>>949638
Yeah there's ways to save a lot more than what I have. I wasted a good few years not working when I was in university. To be honest with you, I should have gone into the trades field, worked up north in Canada for a few years, I'd probably have like $300k saved by now.
>>
>>949621

> spend $10k to cycle around the world
> after coming back buy a small house for remaining $90k
> settle down there, mountains or lakeside preferrably
>>
I could stretch that over 8-10 years of total travel, easy. I probably would get tired after 2-4 years though, so I'd likely splurge a little more than I normally would. Experience the range, really. Spend many nights in hostels, some in five star hotels, some drinking and gambling and some camping.

Anyone who would make a 100k trip last less than three months is literally insane, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
I'd spend at least 35,000 on czech hookers for me +my 2 best friends. I've never slept with a hooker before, but mostly because I hate rushing and the utter coldness of most hookers. After that, I'd probably spend 65,000 slow-travelling around Europe, spending a two weeks here, a week there, whatever. I'd also put money and time into language courses so I could hopefully pick up a few languages to at least conversational level (this is startlingly easy to do when you live there)
>>
>>949640
Agree with this guy. I live in Canada, about to turn 23 and graduate. Have like 3 grand in my account. Friends that went into trades all already own their houses and have really nice cars.
>>
>>949621
That feel when travelling for the last 23months.That feel when still have 345,000AUD left for travelling.
Gonna be 6-12 more years I think depending on interests.
>>
>fuck a relatively clean whore in every cuntry
>drive across some small country in a tank
>become the main benefactor of a small orphanage in Romania
>hire a couple hundred men with nothing to lose to invade and hold the Seychelles for as long as possible until Her Majesty's helicopter carrying flagship floats over to us
Small dreams.
>>
>>949659
>I could stretch that over 8-10 years of total travel, easy.
$10k per annum?
>>
>>949621
For another perspective, I'm an old guy who's done the expat and backpacker route. I've got a family and a career, as does my wife. So if I had 100K just for travel, I would likely take my wife and kids, who are fond of animals, on a very luxe three or so week multi-country private safari.
>>
>>949621

I met an Australian engineer who got sick of his life and decided to hitchhike from his hometown in the great Down Under to Portugal. I think he had around $100,000 saved up - I feel like I'd do what he did, so far as money goes. Some nights he'd stay in nice hotels, and other nights he'd stay in hostels, depending on what his mood was. I think I'd be tempted to keep things relatively low budget in regards to living expenses, save for on nights I wanted to go and meet girls or party.

I guess I'd have fun "roughing it" and then being able to show up in some big city after days on the road and book myself a room in a swanky hotel for a night or two.

Basically, I grew up poor and I'd rather make that money as long as possible, as opposed to living extravagantly for a month or two.

IMO, traveling comfortably for a couple years beats out traveling in luxury for a couple of months.
>>
>>949621
Assuming I can't invest the money:

Buy a quality motorbike and some a few pairs of nice clothing.

Travel by motorbike wherever I want and do fun stupid shit like >>949694
>>
>>949621
>$100,000
~pay my school debts which are like $3k atm
~move to Thailand and live on $1500 for 5 years
i thank it would be fun more adventurous then blowing it quickly
>>
>>950260
~move to Thailand and live on $1500 per month for 5 years
Fixed*
>>
>>950264
Can't live in Thailand for more than 6 mo/year without a legit job or more money than you've got. You can, however, get an infinitely renewable business visa for Cambodia for just a few hundred bucks. So split your year between TH and CB and five years' residence should be a fine adventure.
>>
If i had $100,000 to travel, its going to be a one man walking train around the earth.
>>
>>949621
Put it as a down payment on a second house that would also be an income property
>>
>>950311
Nice, putting all your travel money on something that will tie you down even more.

This sums up /trv/ in one sentence...
>>
>>950320
>"ties you up"
>>
>>950304
forgot about that but your fix works perfectly
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.