[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SoCal. What to do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: Lake_Dixon_Escondido_CA.jpg (5 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
Lake_Dixon_Escondido_CA.jpg
5 MB, 3648x2736
Eyo /trv/bros it's Finfag here.

So the thing is that I'm going to SoCal for 1,5-3 months in 2-3 weeks to visit my uncle and his family. Escondido to be exact.

I love food, fixed gear biking and skateboarding (typical hipster I suppose).

I'm asking you guys what should I do there (must see places, must visit restaurants etcetc). Also where should I buy a bike (preferably used cheap one since I don't have lots of cash möney to spend). Mexico would be cool to visit too.

Sorry for this inconsistent text. I just woke up x)

King regards to you fellow /travellers/ -Finfag
>>
Shameless bump
>>
Go to clubs and get endless pussy due to your accent. Doesn't matter if you look like someone dragged you down a gravel road, dumb American girls go apeshit for accents
>>
>>939002
Do Finnish have accents?
>>
>>938684
Do not go to Mexico, it is too dangerous. If you are in Escondido, you should go to the Stone Brewery in that town for delicious food and beer.

For food, you should try fish tacos and burritos at any hole in the wall Mexican shop. I like Roberto's.

>live in San Diego
>>
>>939009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5uVexJ7U0
Yes and it's called "rally english"
>>
>>939036
All right, thanks. But the thing is that I'm only 20 yo. Wasn't the legal age for consuming alcohol 21?
>>
>>939036
This guy is a pussy, mexico is not too dangerous. I live in SD too and i go to mexico all the time.

OP should at least check out TJ, go to the hong kong club for a good time
>>
san diego velodrome
>>
>>938684
Get out of that shithole and go up to Sequoia, King's Canyon and Yosemite National Parks. You'll be glad you did.
>>
>>939246
Shieeet brahh. Definately going to check out Tijuana. Not really into alcohol but smoking some fine Mexican mota and wandering around seems like a good idea :D
>>
>>939288
Sequoia came to my mind too! Seems like a fukken cool place. How much would it cost to go there using public transport? Is hitchhiking there a good idea?
>>
>>939296
If you are white and do not speak Spanish, be careful

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html
>>
>>939509
I'm actually a mothafukking ginger so I'm as white as one can be xD
>>
>>939664
It doesnt matter, there are plenty of gringos in tijuana. Also, you should always be careful anyway
>>
>>939246
>This guy is a pussy, mexico is not too dangerous

Mexico is as dangerous as you want it to be. Stop being a fool. There are parts that are perfectly safe and others that are unbelievably sketchy for a gringo on his own.
>>
>>939509
>posting us state department warnings

they'll warn you against going to Paris because of Islamic extremism. if you want legit advice about the safety of a region go ask people on the lonely planet thorntree forum
>>
Need moar info bump
>>
File: huntington-beach-pier.jpg (42 KB, 550x317) Image search: [Google]
huntington-beach-pier.jpg
42 KB, 550x317
Amazing beer out there. Go to Stone Brewery it has an awesome beer garden and it's a really nice place to kick it for a while great beer great food. Also Laguna beach isn't to far and has some really scenic sights. Newport and Huntington Beach just a little farther like 15 minutes down the coast from Laguna. In Huntington Beach (the Pier) on Slater and Beach there's an amazing taco truck called El Chavito seriously it might be the best tacos I've ever had. Try hitting up happy hour in a lot of places and Taco Tuesday.
>>
>>938684
Message Arto Saari or Louis Barletta (who lived in Finland for a bit and is based in Southern California) for advice. Also you should take up shooting guns
>>
>>940464
What are the public transport costs? For example how much would a bus or whatever cost from Escondido to Laguna Beach?
>>
>>940464
not sure who posted this but laguna beach doesn't look anything like this, for what it's worth

>>940566
a lot

we don't have an economy of scale when it comes to infrastructure.

you will have to find a train station. probably somewhere in san diego. It will cost a fortune to get htere by cab.

then from the san diego train station you will get to LA. Then from LA you will have to take a buss to someplace somewhat near laguna beach, then take a taxi from here.

If you are coming to america there is no wayto avoid renting a car.
>>
>>940569
sorry I meant huntington. the colors are doctored and I think they chose the one place in the city that actually has trees to take the picture.
>>
>>940569
Fakk brahh. Guess I have to hitchhike then since I don't have a drivers license :P
>>
>>940566
Transportation is not bad at all. Check out the OCTA bus system they have decent prices on passes and service all of orange county. You just have to figure out public transportation to San Clemente then catch the 1 routs down the coast it goes all the way to Long Beach. Just go on Escondido transportation on google. Also there are actually some cool trains that go along the beach down there as well not sure the price but it would make a fun day trip or whatever.
>>
File: Laguna_Beach.jpg (228 KB, 595x395) Image search: [Google]
Laguna_Beach.jpg
228 KB, 595x395
>>940570
It's called the morning. That's pretty much what the colors look like and there are a lot of palm trees down pch in Huntington. I live and surf there I would know.
>>938684
Also I have attached a picture of Laguna just up from the main beach (Heisler Park) it has a nice path with some great look out points. Try and be there for sunsets during winter you will see some beautiful views.
>>
>>940566
Use Sprinter From escondido transit center to oceanside then the 395 Bus www()gonctd()com/breeze from Oceanside to San Clemente then from San Clemente to Laguna on the 1 www()octa()net/ebusbookOct12/
>>
>>940569
>If you are coming to america there is no way to avoid renting a car

Maybe if you are traveling to a transit-less cesspool like southern california. If you visit Chicago or New York you definitely don't need a car.
>>
>>941054

>travelling to the USA, just to visit Chicago and NY

This applies to how many people?
>>
>>941075
Probably twice as many as travel here just to visit southern california. Chicago and NYC are world-class cities that many people visit, in case you didn't know.
>>
>>938684
Come back in summer when the ocean is warm enough, that's the best thing to do here

Also go to a Ducks game and go to Teemu's new restaurant since you're a Finn
>>
>>941407
I'm a fukken Finn brah. Ain't scared of cold water brah. Your "winter" is summer for me :DD
>>
>>941079
cultureless scum

oh, and as soon as you le ave the metro areas, you're SOL.

you need a car.
>>
First, go to San Gabriel/Alhambra for DELICIOUS pho (vietnamese noodle soup) then go to San Marino to visit the Huntington Library and Garden, and if you like the sculpted outdoors, go visit the Arcadia Arboretum another day. BEAUTIFUL places to see.

Also, Old Town Pasadena is a cool place to check out, it has a good amount of night life, but is mostly a shopping and fine dining area.
>>
>>941583

OH, to add on, DEFINITELY visit Huntington Beach, and Newport, as well as Crystal Cove and Laguna beach, super beautiful beach areas.
>>
>>941554
>cultureless scum
implying Southern California has culture and NYC doesn't
>>
>>941554
Confirmed for never having been to Chicago or NYC.

>oh, and as soon as you le ave the metro areas, you're SOL

Which is true for anywhere in the world you tremendous fucking faggot.
>>
>>941586
Literally everywhere in the world inhabited by human beings has culture but certain segments of North American society dwell under the belief that culture is a synonym for wine, cheese and old buildings.
>>
If you can, I would recommend getting to the mountains, especially to a town called Idyllwild in Riverside County. It's a super cool little town on San Jacinto mountain, surrounded by verdant woods and steep cliffs and mountains, beautiful scenery, awesome town with great people and a dog for a mayor. It's a great place to go. Also go to Point Loma early in the morning, and possible go to Joshua Tree out in the desert.
>pic related: Idyllwild. That rock is called Tahquitz Peak, and is visible from most of the town.
>>
word of advice, a lot of the places mentioned by the other anons here are in Orange County and are pretty inconvenient to get to if you don't have a car because our public transportation sucks (takes about an hour by car to get to Orange County)
There is one major railway up the coast but to get to other places more inland you will need a car or figure out the shitty bus system

However I would recommend going up the coast on the 5 freeway or on the train at least once, you can see the coast plus our world famous tit shaped nuclear power plant

I live in San Diego, Escondido is pretty shitty and is in the north county. Its full of old people and not very close to anything that interesting. To get downtown to where its more interesting will take you about 30 minutes by car

The good news is that escondido is close to some good biking trails, you can look up lake hodges and the surrounding areas to see if there is anything you like. Also in general san diegans like biking and skateboarding and shit so you can find shops for those relatively easily

I would recommend going downtown, old town, la jolla while in SD. If you want specific food types in the city just ask and I can point you in the right neighborhood. Mexican food in general is good in SD and there are a lot of shitty looking dirty places that are the best

Oh, and San Diego has some amazing beer breweries, but sadly its all 21+ sorry bro
>>
File: IlmeDoge.jpg (54 KB, 398x402) Image search: [Google]
IlmeDoge.jpg
54 KB, 398x402
>>941919
>>942543
Thanks for good advices ^^ I will be turning 21 in the end of my trip so I will have a chance to taste the golden nectar of some nice brewery
>>
Also, do you guys have any idea where I would get a small amount of weed? Not interested in "cali dank" skunk crosses. One landrace strain that I have in mind is durban poison. I'm pretty picky about what I smoke so this will be an issue :D
>>
Bump from page 10 :D
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3199x1731) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3199x1731
Eat at in n out...prepare your taste buds for glory!
>>
>>944930
Definately will!
>>
File: habit.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
habit.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>944930
After that go to The Habit burger grill. Its just as good but more "gourmet". There are a couple in the Escondido area.

Finding weed shouldnt really be a problem. Just make a friend that is around your age.
>>
>>938684

Hell yeah. I used to live in Esco, there's some good hiking, bike trails etc. Good Mexican food. Go to the beach cities in north San Diego County, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar, and go surfing and ride your bike by the beach, check out the hot women/men. Nightlife in north county is pretty much just bars, Belly Up in Solana has good concerts. San Diego downton has a pretty weak club scene, and a lot of stereotypical roided out dickheads, so you'll want to go out in the hipster neighborhoods of North Park/South Park/Golden Hill, and the gay clubs in Hillcrest are much more fun, and still have plenty of straight people that go there.

Check City Beat and the SD Reader for restaurant/bar reviews and suggestions. While you're in Esco I would definitely visit the SD Zoo Safari Park, go see the lions and tigers and all that. Drive up to Julian and get some pie and apple cider. Palomar mountain is nice as well.
>>
>>945511

Forgot to mention, Balboa Park is nice, you can visit the Mission and presidio, sites of the first Spanish mission in Alta California. If you go to TJ, mind your manners and stay the fuck out of the Zona Norte, stay away from whores.
>>
>>938684
breh you need to go to "newport seafood restaurant" and order the lobster. aslo, go down the 15 and explore places in sd like mission bay, la jolla cove, balboa park yada yada
>>
>>939298
id be pretty hard to get around @ sequoia because theres a lot of sites there (unless you catch someone with the same plans as you); better to just rent a car or go along with your ungle; im sure he feels obligated to show you a good time.
>>
Im from mexico, is not dangerous unless you walk around flashing your money and $1k camera in your fucking neck and go into sketchy dark places. I wouldnt recommend drugs.

People think this is fucking iran and just because you are white you are a target for murder. Well, no, unless you do dumb things. I have never been to tijuana, but pretty much traveled everywhere else with no problems. Just have some common sense and read about the dangerous areas.

However, i have been to LA and going to mexico will seem a bit unnecessary since mexicans are EVERYWHERE, and they do fucking speak spanish everywhere, is san diego the same? I dont know.

I always wanted to go to tijuana since i hear all these stories about ritchie valens and carlos santana going there doing crazy shit.

If mexico is dangerous because the US says, then i wouldnt go to the US because the risk of getting shot, or france because islamic extremist, or south / north korea because war could begin anytime.
>>
>>946424
>If mexico is dangerous because the US says, then i wouldnt go to the US because the risk of getting shot, or france because islamic extremist, or south / north korea because war could begin anytime.
god tier quote
>>
>>946424
>Not dangerous
>Uncle got kidnapped
>Friend got kidnapped, twice
>Friend's neighbour were arrested because they were drug dealers
>Friend's bodyguard got killed
>School mate's dad was promoted because his predecessor got shot down from a helicopter with a bazooka

Mexico is so fucking dangerous. Whether people can go to resorts and explore some parts of Mexico without shitting their pants out of fear that's one thing but Mexico is absolutely dangerous. Official estimates put death tolls since 2006 at 60,000 from drug related deaths with estimates from sources outside of Mexico anywhere from 75-150,000.
Lived there for 15 years, traveled 17/32 states.
Having said that I'd rather go to Mexico than the Mexican part of LA
>>
>>940573
Won't work, unless you plan on standing on the side of the freeway until the cops pick you up.

Get a car or uber 1.5 dollarydoos a mile. Public transport sucks ass due to rich people city with the density of aerogel.

Swim in the ocean, del Mar, or la jolla shores a lot of them. Bar and clubbing scene sucks, closes at 2am, since you're 20 alcohol is out, sea world ain't bad, wild animal park, TJ, snorkeling.
>>
>>946550
Oh and check out the ride down grand, every Friday car show in Escondido
>>
>>939296
Mexican weed sucks man. Go to van buys the shops out there have some crazy weed. If you like punk there are a lot of underground shows in south central and east LA check out south central apparel they have shows at their lot pretty often. If that's your thing of course
>>
>>943515
Most weed shops have a large variety of strains to choose from I actually picked up some Durban poison last week. Just find someone with a medical marijuana card brah there are shops all over the place. I can't speak for Orange County though, I live in the LA area
>>
>>946791
*van nuys
>>
>>946791
I don't really like the "crazy weed".
Would be only interested in heirloom or landrace strains. Guess I'm not smoking while there :D

>>946792
Yeah, I checked online and the only shops that were selling DP were in LA
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.