[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Winter Sports Travel/Snowboarding/Skiing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: 4.jpg (350 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
350 KB, 1920x1080
So I'm planning a ski trip to Japan with a bunch of m8s from Australia and I've been wanting to plan the trip myself instead of going on one of those group tours.

Can anyone share experiences in DIY ski trips with regards to (doesn't have to be Japan)
- gear hire/mountain passes/
- bringing your own gear on the plane/baggage
- Photography/tech for capturing runs
- Accommodation (in or outside of the resort)/bookings
- Perfect time for powder
- Insurance

Feel free to share your favourite destinations/resorts/mountains as well.
>>
hey anon
so I did a trip from Aus to Jap a year ago with a bunch of my mates from Canada. We flew from Cairns into Sapporo (through Osaka) which was roughly $750 return with Jetstar (each obviously)
I ended up renting a campervan for the trip which turned out a lot cheaper than trying to organize hotels and constant transport for the 5 of us. I think it was about $2000 for 2 and a half weeks. So we drove to Niseko first which is always fucking epic. Can't recommend that place enough. The snow was great the whole time we were there (which was early Feb) and they had a snowstorm which gave us another meter of powder! Then we drove back to Sapporo and went for a shred at the local mountain (Teine) which actually turned out to be pretty epic off piste skiing.
I'd also recommend Asahidake, which gets some of THE best snow in the world. Unfortunately while we were there for a couple days the lift didn't open because (ironically) it was snowing too much! But we just hiked around the area and made some kickers and had a great time anyway.
We all brought our own gear which all fit in the bathroom of the campervan (couldn't use it during winter anyway) so it all worked out pretty cheap.
>>
>>1109997
we also traveled to a few other small resorts around Hokkaido, but honestly they were all pretty crap. I'm sure there's other good shit out there but we just didn't have the best timing or plan..

If you're staying in Sapporo for any amount of time and you need somewhere cheap to stay, I'd check out the SOLE spa house. Its a brilliant male only bath house with sleeping pods, an amazing restaurant, lounge and spa for like $30 AUD a night each
Oh, and the best bar in town at the entrance where drinks are Y1000 for an hour (all you can drink for $10)
>>
As for insurance, I normally go through World Nomads. They cover skiing and snowboarding abroad so you don't have to worry about any gnarly shit taking you out
And DEFINITELY get insurance on the campervan or rental if you go that way. The Japanese are extremely linear in thinking. Don't piss them off haha
But I wouldn't worry too much about learning the language. You'll anger them anyway because you're not Asian, but they're patient and generally can understand mimes quite well
>>
File: Niseko-Japan.jpg (507 KB, 4357x2900) Image search: [Google]
Niseko-Japan.jpg
507 KB, 4357x2900
>>1109997
>I ended up renting a campervan for the trip which turned out a lot cheaper than trying to organize hotels and constant transport for the 5 of us. I think it was about $2000 for 2 and a half weeks. So we drove to Niseko first which is always fucking epic.
Any chance you can give me some tips on what the road conditions were like? Also I heard that driving around Japan was really expensive due to half the roads being toll roads was that true in your case?
>Niseko first which is always fucking epic. Can't recommend that place enough.
I know anon, I went there in 2011 on a ski trip with my school and absolutely fell in love with the place. It'll be the first time my m8s have gone though.
>>
>>1110200
Driving around was generally pretty easy going. There aren't many toll roads in Hokkaido (from what we found). And the though some of the roads we were driving on where covered in powder, the camper didn't every seem to have a problem handling. Didn't ever bother with chains..
And despite the stereotype, I think I found the drivers in Japan to be some of the most respectful road users I have ever come across. It's so easy driving around the city because everyone follows the rules to the point and will always give way and let you merge without hesitation

I'm thinking of working a season in Niseko at some point. I've done a few winters in Canada and in NZ, so I think a full season in Japan is on the table for me soon
>>
>>1109820
I managed to go skiing with a buddy for just over $350AUD each which included flights from Tokyo to Saporro, transfer to Niseko by bus, accom for 3 nights at the Hilton w/ breakfast, ski hire and lift hire plus transfer back to Sapporo, a night in Sapporo and then flights back to Tokyo. It was all through a package deal, and we went mid-Dec. Make sure you don't go during their peak time when all the Japanese get time off for holiday because it will be fucking expensive. Best powder snow I've ever skiied. Also, expect to see Aussies everywhere.
>>
File: narvik.jpg (851 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
narvik.jpg
851 KB, 1600x1200
>>1109820
I've never been to Japan but I'm a freeskier and I travel alot with my skis around the alps and scandinavia. Nevertheless I know alot about skiing in Japan and skiing in general so feel free to ask anything.

>gear hire/mountain passes
I would not suggest renting ski gear. Renting everything from boots, skis, poles etc. for an entire trip will probably cost about the same as buying your own set. Check for some used sets if you're tight on a budget.

You're going to Japan so I'm assuming you're gonna go off piste (and you should). You will need avalanche rescue equipment which consists of a backpack, a beacon, shovel and a probe. You will also need wide skis since Japan is the snowiest country in the world. Id suggest something with a waist wider than 100mm.

>bringing your own gear on the plane/baggage
As I mentionded before, i suggest taking your own gear. Some airlines have free ski carry, in some you have to pay. Check out baggage policy on the airline you're flying. Protip, put as much clothing and other gear in your ski bag to save space in your other luggage.

>Perfect time for powder
It snows most in December and January, but the base isnt that thick. In japan the mountains are covered in bushy trees. Later in the season the bushes (and rocks) get buried in the snow making treeskiing more enjoyable. I'd say the optimal time would be late January-february. In march and april it gets sunnier and warmer. Anyways you're almost guaranteed to ski powder since it snows like hell in japan.

>Insurance
Getting injured outside the piste can get very expensive if there's a rescue included. A heli ride to the hospital can cost thousands so insurance is highly recommended. Make sure it off piste skiing and rescue costs.

Just returned from northern sweden and norway. had a blast! (pic related)
>>
>>1111361
>You're going to Japan so I'm assuming you're gonna go off piste (and you should).
I wasn't planning to, most of the group aren't expert skiiers including myself. Plus there is just so much to do already within the ski grounds but I'll definitely consider it now.

>Just returned from northern sweden and norway. had a blast! (pic related)
Never been to EU mountains before, how do they compare to the US/Can and Japan?
>>
>>1111854
I'd say that the alps are the best mountain range on the world for skiing. The mountains are huge and so are the resorts. To give some perspective, the 10 largest US resorts fit inside the largest single resort (les3vallees) in the alps in terms of surface area iirc.
There's also a huge variation of different kinds of resorts and mountains, over 600 in total from big touristy places to small hidden gems.

US and Canada have one of the best resorts and in the world like Whistler, but skiing in NA is generally really fucking expensive. A vail day ticket is something like 150 dollars whereas a day ticket in St. Anton (austria), which is a way larger resort is 51 euros for a day pass. Also the resorts in US are overcrowded and the lift lines are ridiculous.

Japan's mountains are smaller, but the snow amount and the quality makes it a freeskiers dream location. I think the price ranges are about the same as in the alps.
In recent years the word has spread and Japan has become a popular ski destination making the most popular resorts like Niseko quite touristy and crowded. Nevertheless there are many smaller resorts if you want to avoid the crowds. Not saying that you shouldn't go to Niseko, it's a great resort.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.