[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it actually possible to get decent sleep on a plane? The few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 1414511443614.jpg (5 KB, 276x182) Image search: [Google]
1414511443614.jpg
5 KB, 276x182
Is it actually possible to get decent sleep on a plane? The few times I've been on a plane at night it seemed like an impossible task to stay asleep for more than 30 minutes at a time.
>>
>>917274

I've never had much luck getting sleep on flights. It's usually too cold and bumpy up in the sky for me to stay down for long. Buses and trains on the other hand - oh god, I literally can't stop myself from dozing off. One of my friends who came with me from Istanbul to Tbilisi on a 36-hour ride got angry because I slept almost the entire way.
>>
>>917278
>Miss flight
>Get assigned new flight
>Exit row window seat at night
>Wearing short sleeve t-shirt and can feel the cold air creeping out of the door
>>
>>917278
Get ear plugs (ur just good phones with calm music) eyes mask (that ones that people use to sleep) and a blanket. You don't need anything more.

And I usually wear short sleeve and shorts while flying for confort.
>>
File: works.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
works.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
works everytime for me
>>
The night before my departure is always the night I can't get any sleep...
>>
I think yes
>>
>>917286
Fucking this shit is amazing. I cannot recommend it enough.
>>
>>917286
Aren't sleeping pills bad for you?
>>
>>917305
From observation of people who took those every day for a long time I couldn't see any big side effect. I guess insonia was harming them more than melatonin did if any.
>>
>>917305
It's not exactly a sleeping pill, not the kind you're thinking of. It's just a hormone supplement.

I've pretty much never slept comfortably in economy and never had a problem sleeping in business.
>>
>>917310
Plus it taste like candy.
>>
yes, i slept all the way from LA to Brisbane. i was very grateful
>>
>>917274
Absolutely not. I was on a NYC -> Hong Kong flight and it was my personal vision of hell. I drank as much free booze and I could but also hoarded water in an empty bottle. I managed to pass out. I woke after 3 hours and my neck as on fire. My right arm was immobile below the elbow because I was pressing on my nerve ("Funny Bone") the entire time. I couldn't feel properly for 30 minutes.

Then, the next day during my morning shit, my asshole was burning. I poked at it in the shower and discovered a squishy blueberry sized lump poking out of my asshole....it took 6 weeks to go away.

tl;dr sleeping on planes gives you hemorrhoids :)
>>
>>917274
>Is it actually possible to get decent sleep on a plane? The few times I've been on a plane at night it seemed like an impossible task to stay asleep for more than 30 minutes at a time.
Never know if you're sleep or not. That's my frequent flyer experience. Your level of jetlag/anxiety/excitement/sleepiness is as important as the cabin temperature, your relative caffeine intake, hydration, sugar, alcohol, who knows what?

What I try to do is wear nonbinding yoga-ish loose clothes that are as close to pajamas as possible. I have a tank or T underneath to allow for being warm, a long sleeve that opens in the front for all temps, and if you have to sit coach, a puffer vest for back comfort. Socks in slip-ons, even crocs. Must have noise cancelling headphones. The engine noise itself is an awareness that doesn't let the mind drift off, let alone ambient cabin noise. If you need your peripheral vision down, consider sunglasses with thick sides, or a hoodie/hat/scarf. I don't like a neck cushion, if a collar or scarf can handle it okay.
Guzzle water, makes you feel good. Avoid alcohol. Consider a melatonin at the new destination bedtime. Start a day ahead. I don't recommend xanax. If you see a Arizona Stress Rx or have some valerian/camomile teabag you can ingest from the terminal or in air, do that too.
>>
File: Valium.jpg (23 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Valium.jpg
23 KB, 300x400
Valium + beer + neck rest pillow. Never fails.

There's nothing more beautiful than waking up and your flight is about to land.
>>
>>917341
Also I use earplugs
>>
>>917274

I've slept peacefully once.

However, I hadn't slept more than 3 hours a night for 4 days prior to my flight, so my body was just so exhausted and allowed me to sleep in situation where it'd usually tell me, "fuck you, not going to happen sitting up."
>>
Oldfag here. I only fly business class in long haul. Great food and booze, and a nice flat seat bed to sleep on.
>>
File: 1406876235672.gif (969 KB, 360x322) Image search: [Google]
1406876235672.gif
969 KB, 360x322
>>917341
> diazepam + alcohol
>>
>>917806
>implying it isn't fun
>>
>holidays are rare for me
>recently went to Indonesia
>flew with Emirates
>free booze (I'm 19, you're supposed to be 21 but the steward was a cool guy and let us have it anyway)
>watch all the new movies
>listen to great albums

I get too excited to sleep on flights like that
>>
The problem with sleeping on flights is that it's incredibly hard to get comfortable. There's just no position that works.
>>
>>917274
see if your doc will give you a xanax script. that + alcohol + benadryl knocks me out like a college girl at a frat house
>>
>>917274
Business class is pretty good, I've flown London to Singapore and just skipped of the plane
>>
>>917998
Yeah, I've done that on Singapore Airlines, that's a cruisy ride. It's best if work is paying for it though, it's just way too expensive to justify paying for myself.
>>
Those neck pillows work to relax you. Your neck gets warm plus your head doesn't unconsiously slouch to one side, the pillow stabilises your head so you sleep upright. If you use it, you should press the part of the pillow behind your neck so it softens until your neck can touch the chair.

I recommend getting one that has a button that you can use to keep the pillow round your neck and be used to hang your pillow with your carry-on. The brand that has this is Cloudz from USA and they can be found in JFK.
>>
File: nightordaynooneknows.jpg (67 KB, 480x503) Image search: [Google]
nightordaynooneknows.jpg
67 KB, 480x503
recently flew JAL and idk if it was the airline itself per se but it was the most comfortable (sleep-wise) 14 hour flight i've had
the windows dont have shades but have a brightness adjuster so you can make it look like night or day outside (i actually couldnt tell whether it was really night or day irl; so just keep it on the darkest setting the whole time and you'll sleep like a baby)
>>
>>917859
This, maybe it's my body type or weird physiological quirk. I find it's basically impossible for me to sleep in a sitting position, even with a battery of intoxicants. I am reasonably certain that if not allowed to lie down but only sit/stand for a couple of weeks, then I would actually die of sleep deprivation.
>>
I'm 6'4" and diagnosed with insomnia, I've only slept on a plane after a 6 pack and some valium, which was probably a bad idea because it hurt so much when I woke up because of my position. I try to get the exit row seats but you can't always be so lucky.
I'll be flying soon and from origin to destination its 30 hours including a stop over in China, I'm pretty worried about it.

Anyone slept in an airport? Any pointers?
>>
>>918554
I just think if you never ever allow yourself to nod off in a sitting position, you'd find it hard to do it within a plane. Try a vertical nap on the couch sometimes. Good training. Practice it in an office chair, too.

Avoid the alcohol. There are studies on this. It's bad news. Be hydrated well, not drinking a bunch of stuff that makes you dehydrated and interferes with deep sleep. Yes, alcohol does that. So, quit that.
Discuss with your doctor something other than valium. Be sure to tell him you have insomnia and not just some kind of anxiety about flight. If you want to sleep, that is not the drug they'd give you whatsoever. Ativan would be one notch better, but it's still not ideal. See what kind of insomnia they can fix.

30 hours is rough. I mean, there's just so much sitting a person can take without wanting to end it all. You have to have all your backup activities covered. When the movies suck, you switch to shorter TV, and when you can't focus, you switch to standup comedy, and when you want news, switch to that, back to the book, can't focus, ugh, flip through pictures, get a little work done, now just classical music. Practice relaxation, whatever that is for you, maybe systematically tensing and relaxing muscles head to toe, or taking some mental vacations through prayer or just memory lane. Do your math, and maybe just avoid all sleep that isn't at the new time zone. Melatonin at the right bedtime.

Or just give yourself a spa day at your destination to sleep and do nothing but drink water and good clean food.
>>
>>918562
A cocktail of drugs is all that works. I can't even sleep in a bed without my sleeping tablets. I think I'll try and sleep as much as I can in the Chinese airport before the shorter leg of the journey.
Switching around your activities is a good idea but once I'm tired nothing is entertaining or even distracting, just mindless shit that fails to occupy my mind, usually I just look out the window and wait it out but I think that'll be pretty tough on a 20+ hour flight.

>Or just give yourself a spa day at your destination to sleep and do nothing but drink water and good clean food.
Unlikely, I'm staying with a friend of mine whos a local in India
>>
>>918083

These new windows are on all Boeing 787 planes.

787 cabins are also kept at a significantly higher pressure and humidity than older planes, which is supposed to make it more comfortable for passengers.

I can't wait for American Airlines and Delta to start flying the 787.
>>
Starve yourself of sleep. If you are tired enough you will doze right off. Works for me every time. Like someone else said waking up to find the plane is about to land is a phenomenal feeling.
>>
>>917274
I don't even find I can sleep well in business class - the only hope is to get on the plane exhausted, and hope you manage to pass out. I've found drinking actually makes it worse.
>>
>>918570
>A cocktail of drugs is all that works.
Maybe you simply have some undiagnosed depressive/anxiety disorder that messes with natural dopamine and serotonin levels. It may be physical.

But, no, a cocktail might get you to wanting to fall asleep, but it doesn't make your sleep recuperative, which is a horrible vicious cycle of feeling like crap and actually causing some insomnia. Your brain isn't working right. Have you tried light blocking? What about rozarem? What about if you wake early trying lunesta, but doing nothing to fall asleep? You just sound like you don't have adequate
>>
>>918570
Why don't you meditate?
>>
>be 18
>first long distance flight(13 hours)
>afraid of flying
>mom is doctor
>get her to give me some valium
>take 40mg of valium before flight takes off
>doesnt do jack shit
>spend the next 13 hours dealing with migraines, taking more medications to numb the pain, drinking, vomiting, watching censored flight movies, feeling groggy as shit but still unable to go to sleep

Valium is fucking shit I don't know what the hype is about. Mirtazepine was 10x better for sleeping and feeling chill. Fuck Valium, what a crock of shit.
>>
>>918756
No doctor worth their salt would even prescribe valium anymore aside from 1 tablet for pre-MRI jitters or people who are addicts and unwilling or could unsafely to change to some other drug class. Some elderly have used it for decades and in a cocktail of geriactric prescriptions, the side effects are already known, so they stick with what they patient wants.

Xanax is far better for anxiety, and ativan far better for sleep, and clonazepam is better for pain adjunct therapy. Because, yes, Valium does suck. I don't think anyone should pop Mirtazepine either. None of these classes of drugs should be used intermittently, tbh.

To the insomniac, have you tried a camomile-valerian or other sleepytime teabag in your luggage? Any flight attendant would bring you some hot water to dose yourself. You obviously have big issues that the plane is simply not a part of.
>>
>>918763
>you obviously have big issues because you do recreational drugs
Ehhhhhhh that's debatable. Valerian is pure shit, be serious.
>>
>>918765
No one said that insomniac took recreational drugs. Have you ever heard that phrase "not everything is about you"?
>>
>>918554
>tfw 6'4 too

bro-tier check-in staff who get me the exit row are a godsend
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.