[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never traveled abroad before (I'm American) and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: SSA41434.jpg (237 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SSA41434.jpg
237 KB, 1024x768
I've never traveled abroad before (I'm American) and I'm thinking about traveling to Mexico City for two weeks in May. I'm mostly interested in visiting museums, historical sites, anything cultural, I'm not much of a drinker/party-er. Two weeks seems like a pretty decent time to get a feel for the city and visit some surrounding towns (interested in Toluca, Puebla, Taxco, maybe take a bus to Guanajuato if the timing is right). I want to do this on a pretty tight budget, I'm thinking $20 a night or less for lodging, and I'll mostly eat on the cheap. Any tips/recommendations etc? I'm also concerned about safety of course, I know I'm not going to the narco-strongholds, but of course I'm a little nervous.
>>
>>1097096
Lots of hostels in Mexico City, you can find many for under $20 a night, even some for around $10 but never go for the cheapest options in town.

I suggest you spend about a week in Mexico City and then spend a week traveling to other towns close by. I went to San Miguel and Guanajuato but there are many others out there like Queretaro or Puebla. They're not really 1 day trip kind of places, you really need to spend at least a night in each one. The buses to Teotihuacan leave from the north bus terminal which is connected by a metro line.

Street food is really cheap and delicious, get your fill of tacos for under $5. As is transport in Mexico City, don't be afraid of using the metro.

Once you get to Mexico City you'll realize that it's not really a dangerous place like the media would have you believe. It's a huge city but if you stay in zones near to the center you will be fine. There's so much to see and do there that I ended up staying a couple of days longer than I planned on and still didn't really see everything I wanted. Make sure to see the archeological zone in the middle of Mexico City as well.
>>
Bump, just looking from some other towns in the Greater Mexico City area to visit for maybe 2 days while I'm there
>>
Toluca is ugly as fuck m8 not sure why you would want to go there.

Nice places to visit that are within a 4 hour bus ride are Puebla, Querétaro and San Miguel de Allende.

Regarding safety: Mexico City is pretty safe, just don't go to the ugly parts of town and you'll be fine, it's actually safer than major US cities like Chicago or Atlanta
>>
>>1097232
adding to this: Be sure to check out the anthropology museum in Mexico city, it really is a world marvel.
>>
>>1097096
Im from Toluca. (Since 2013 i am in SLP)
I would say Toluca is a bit ugly.
You need to know where you want to go. "Los portales", "La catedral", "Cosmovitral botanic garden", "La vaquita negra del portal", "Museo de la acuarela", etc. There are good museums. You can also go to Metepec, its more cute than Toluca. I wered in that hill church so muchos times.
Toluca is very high sea level, so, the sun is more dickhead than beach zones.
Precaution:Toluca have the most expensive parkings. Especially at the shopping centers.
Be careful in winter, youll automatically will feel the coldness. Get good clothes in winter. Also if you want To go to Ixtazihuatl, you need to be really early. Its better when there is ice. Be careful with some supermarkets if you have car. If you need a taxi, call it or take one in a good crowded zone.
(1/?)
>>
>>1097096
I was in Taxco 3 times. Its fucking beautiful (specially in the night) in my experience: Pretty safe. Have some nice hotels. There is no the common taxi. Also if you are in Taxco, you have two close places:
1. The Grutas of Cacahuamilpa. Be careful with slips when you are in one. There is thight bends if you go in car.
2. Ixtapan de la sal. Pretty decent.
Some Anon says: Querétaro.
I love that city, you need at least two days. (Alguien corrijame si estoy mal.)
Cute, fresh. Good food, Its pretty safe in my experience. Gorgeous center at night.
Whatever you do, im happy if you are happy.

Pd: Tehotihuacan is really interesting. But Its more slow than you think.
Good travel!
>>
>>1097233
This.
Also, whats your opinion about Chapultepec's Zoo? i like It, But i don't have a formal opinion.
>>
>>1097353
when i say call it: use a phone.
Toluca is ugly and insecure in so much zones. I dont want to make you paranoid.
>>
my only interest in toluca was to hike at the mountain there, are there buses that run up that way?
>>
>>1097573
if you refer To "La teresona" you can take a bus (only 7-12 pesos) then you stop at Circuito Matlazincas and then your start walking until the top.
Best hours are 11:00 to 2:00.
More obscure: more dangerous.
(1/?)
>>
>>1097573
bump. More info about Ixtacihuatl (El Nevado) soon.
>>
>>1097600
yes, i was referring to nevado de toluca, that one is much more common for tourists to visit, how do i get there and how is the hike?
>>
>>1097602
I start.
When May come, there is no so much tourists.
When is snowy:Theres a lot of people and your need to go early (6:55-7:00).
I dont know if theres bus that go To the nevado or if is secure.
Walking from Toluca center To Mountain is a slow bad idea.
Taxis are not advisable.
If you go in car or something similar(no bus, no taxi lol) you need To go from Paseo Colon until Calzada Al Pacífico, carry on in Calzada Al Pacifico passing San Pedro Tejalpa, because theres a desviation turn left To Raices, follow advice. (Signals).
You can check Google Maps if you dont understand some parts.
When you are at Parque de Los Nevados, you can park you car.
Dumb people left their cars in the highway.
Walk, theres good zones, and is beautiful.
There are lakes, large zones of threes and is the hogar of Teporingo (a endemic little bunny).
Walk is larger (Its a fucking mountain). Get water, in May is not that cold, But get good clothes.
By now, Its only common sense get To the top. Theres people that can help you.

Good day!

Essential part:
More precisely follow the highway number 134 and take the deviation To the road number 10 "La puerta Sultepec", several kilometers ahead take another deviation To the left, To the parking of the Parque de los Nevados.
>>
>>1097096
Extra date:
When some place have a name like metePEC , sulTEPEC, xxxtepec, Its because theres a hill or little mountain.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.