[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Welcoming areas to go?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1451019490766.png (2 MB, 2684x1772) Image search: [Google]
1451019490766.png
2 MB, 2684x1772
So I've always wanted to see the world. I was born in a bumfuck shithole is northern California and then I got dragged to a suburb in Utah after my parents divorced.

I know from personal experience that locals usually either tolerate or despise outsiders, but are there any areas where I would be openly welcomed?

I'm not asking to get my dick sucked, I just hate to feel like an inconvenience to people. I know to not be an ass in public, but sometimes people just don't like tourism gentrifying their homes.
>>
>>1096202
Start with Tijuana?
>>
File: 1436337351941.jpg (11 KB, 389x324) Image search: [Google]
1436337351941.jpg
11 KB, 389x324
Are you me? Except nowhere SoCal. Anyway, the answer is no. It's love/hate half and half anywhere. So just travel.
>>
I know how you feel OP.

I was in Hawaii a year ago and I ran into some locals at a natural pool as they were chilling and having drinks. I was kinda buzzed and ended up joining them after one of them offered me a beer.

Then out of nowhere one of those meatheaded island shitheads thought I was looking at his girlfriend the wrong way, which I denied. Then he got mad and threatened me saying "You need to get the fuck outta here you fucking haole." (Haole is Hawaiian for foreigner).

I tried to be civil about it but then his bitch girlfriend wanted to be bossbitch and threatened to throw a beer bottle at me outta nowhere.

Meanwhile their three friends were watching this go down not saying a word yet not exactly protesting the idea of me leaving either.

At that point, I realized how stupid this all was, so I just grabbed my shit and walked away.

Moral of the story is that locals can either be chill, or complete fucking assholes.

Don't be afraid to take the risk in befriending them, but if they start giving you shit, don't be ashamed to grab your shit and leave.

You're on vacation. Your goal is to have a good time.

If you're not having a good time when locals are being fucking assholes to you, you move on and find another opportunity to meet people and have fun.

Don't let a bunch of local shitheads ruin a trip for you.
>>
Czech Republic.

I don't know what kind of foreigner you are, but I have felt so at home in a city as I have in Prague. I have the kind of personality where anywhere I go people at least really like me, not to brag but I'm very low-key and easy-going and I make friends every where, but especially if you're not (actively) trying to nail Czech girls, they will welcome you.

Part of it is just keeping your head down and giving people a chance and respecting what they have to say. That is 90% of the battle of going anywhere.

I don't know about anon's Hawaii story, sounds pretty shitty/ weird, but you meet shitty/ weird manlets everywhere. Sometimes holding your own in a foreign country matters too, it definitely helps to sometimes stand up to douchey locals and telling them to fuck off. You have to find a nice space of being open to the people around you but holding your own as a regular guy.
>>
>1096378
Hawaii anon here. I actually come out to Hawaii quite frequently and I have quite a few friends there. Hell, I even have family members here too.

If anything, that was just one isolated incident that I'd never experienced before until then.

Usually Hawaiians are pretty chill, but this guy and his girlfriend were just fucking assholes.

It's not often that you'll run into asshole locals, but it's possible.
>>
As someone who lived for three week with a host family during highschool and also studied abroad in Tokyo for a whole semester during college, I can say with certainty that I've never met people that are as warm, kind, and respectful as Japanese people.
>>
Iran is famous as the friendliest country on earth despite what Americans think. From personal experience, I can recommend Ireland and Morocco as places where people make you feel at home.
What exactly are you looking for, OP?
>>
>>1096454
Supposedly the Iranians are/were pretty damn chill about everything before the ayatollah took over in the 70s. Benefits of having roughly the same culture for 10,000 years I suppose.
>>
>>1096465
All I know about Iran I learned from Persepolis, but I feel like that's a pretty good source. It amazes me a people can go through such a horrific war and still be a welcoming country at the end of it all. Gives me hope for Syria, which apparently used to be equally welcoming.
>>
>>1096383
That's what everyone who hasn't lived in Japan says.

You think that's what's going on at first, but after a while you understand Japanese mannerisms and start to see that it's all a polite veil over their true emotions. Most people think you're tolerable, 10% think you're a foreign barbarian, 10% fetishize you and treat you like a human golden retriever.

That said, I love Tokyo and consider it the only place I've ever really felt at home. Just be under no illusions, though, they don't like you nearly as much as you initially think they like you. They're just being polite.
>>
>>1096454
I've also heard Iranian people are super welcoming to foreigners, even Americans. Most of the young people know their government is crazy and they watch HBO and The Daily Show and shit like that, they're not at all the crazy zealots American media tends to portray them as.
>>
Hi you'll love china. ..The people are very friendly and welcoming. If you speak a bit of Chinese, then you can communicate effectively with them. There are plenty of cheap flights to china; and everything in china is quite cheap the meals etc
If you want to meet some locals I would advise travelling by train, the normal slow train in maybe the sleeper cabin, it is cheap, comfortable and ecological and you'll definitely meet some Chinese people who will talk to you share food etc
You could have a great time! !.
>>
>>1097092
I went to China when I was 10 and mostly I remember Chinese people body-checking me and hitting my 10 year old body with their shoulders on purpose while passing me on the street. If they were walking towards me and I moved slightly to get out of their way, many times they moved further towards me in order to hit me.

This was all in Beijing, I didn't go to Shanghai or any other cities in China.
>>
>>1097092
My sister and her boyfriend went out of the airport when they had a long layover, just to experience the city a little bit (I don't remember which airport though). They were a bit surprised how it felt to be the subject of racism. We white people are not often racially discriminated against, at least I don't feel I have (or I simply didn't know the language/culture enough).

But I assume people are people around the world, and some are racist assholes, and others are genuinly curious.
>>
>>1096382
>>1096368

>at a natural pool
was it Kalihi?
You got to watch where you go on Oahu... don't go to Kalihi, deep into Waimanalo, Chinatown or the west side past ewa beach/disney. I lived in Kailua for 3 years and this information was essential. If you were in a touristy area, then yeah fuck those guys they're dicks.
There is, and will forever be for some locals, a stigma against white people. The vast majority don't, but those that do will stand out the most.

as for OPs topic, go to Montana and tell me how it goes
>>
Go to Taiwan, friendliest people I've ever met.

In general, just be respectful wherever you go, and you'll do fine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.