[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /trv/, Im considering a big road trip through the US and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: ford_f-150_ranger.jpg (252 KB, 800x433) Image search: [Google]
ford_f-150_ranger.jpg
252 KB, 800x433
Sup /trv/,

Im considering a big road trip through the US and possibly Canada. Im planning to go about 3-6 months (almost finished my masters etc). Because of the length of my trip i figured buying a car would probably be a better option than renting. As a (western) european owning a car (as well as driving one) is quite expensive. Probably more expensive than buying one in the US. Therefore im wondering what the price would be for a reasonable car in the US? That means that i dont give a fuck how it looks, it just has to work (and keep working). I've been browsing craigslist a bit and <$2500 seems enough for a decent car? Would that be a fair statement?

Also, would it matter alot on which side of the country i would buy the car? Is it notably cheaper on one side or the other?

Pic somewhat related, its a sexy af car imo.
>>
Seems kind of tricky. A car isn't something you can just buy and be done with it. You need to register it in your state of residence... and seeing as to how you're a foreigner with no US permanent residence, no state residence, no state driver's license, I'm not sure it could be done. Not to mention, I don't even know if it's possible to get insurance without a US home address. You'd have to research that. The only way I could think of to get around all that is to find an American willing to have the car and insurance registered under their name. Maybe if you had family here? You'll need an address to get the title mailed to you too. You may just be better off renting.
>>
>>1093629
yeah ive looked briefly into that. The car insurance seems to be the main problem. Ive read stories of people who were able to just insure their car with a dutch adress, others said that the adress of the hotel theyre staying at was accepted. A somewhat more expensive (but foolproof i guess) option is to insure the car through a dutch company, which apparently is no hassle at all (you just have to e-mail your purchasing bill of the car you buy in the US etc.). I agree its definetly something to think about but probably not something that would hold me back :) .
>>
File: IMG_20160202_095411.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160202_095411.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>1093619
I recommend you get one of the following:

>99-02 Volkswagen New Beetle
>Any year Volkswagen Golf
>1992-1998 Honda Accord
>1992-2002 Volvo V70 (bonus ability to sleep in your car)
>2000-2006 Volvo XC70
>2001-2006 Ford Focus

In general Volkswagens are fairly unbreakable, and the Volvo station wagons are tanks. All of the above should be on the right side of 3k and won't depreciate in the time you get them.

At that price you 100% want to buy from a private seller, you will literally be taking out the trash for a dealer at that price point. Usually with private sellers, you can get a feel in the first 60 seconds of phone conversation if the car is legit. If they seem like they have maintained the car well and have a valid reason for selling, you always talk down the price, at least a few hundred bucks. Think like it was Thailand. Don't price bully, but in canada it's expected you give it a go. When I was buying my Beetle (a cracking good car BTW) the guy dropped 200 bucks off the price without my asking just to help close the deal.

Also, buy the car in Quebec and register it there. Insurance is about $50/mo. in Quebec, versus AT LEAST $200/mo. in Ontario (probably more). Insurance is mandatory in Canada and you will catch big shit if you don't have it.

You need to have it emission tested and safety certified for it to run, what that means is it can't have any safety faults or be in such a shit condition that it's spewing out extra carbon dioxide or other pollutants. Always look for "safety & e-tested" in the advertisement (and watch out for the term "AS-IS", that often means it can't pass said tests without some work)

You CAN find a cheap car on Autotrader.CA but it's more for decently expensive cars, Kijiji.CA is your best bet for private sellers in the sub 5k range. A lot of crazy shit comes out of Craigslist but you can find some epic deals, and strange rides.

Pic related is my Beetles dashboard. Sorry, not for sale.
>>
>>1093830
Lol, reading comprehension could have saved me 20 minutes.

Well, you SHOULD be buying a car in Southern Ontario, Canada, anyways, what with our dollar being 75 cents US right now. Lol our money is worthless :D
>>
>>1093619
Pee
>>
>>1093970
what about it
>>
Get an old volvo. I've got a 2000 S70, but the V70 variant is a station wagon, with much more storage space. They can go a while without maintenance, have really comfortable seats, and don't cost much.
>>
Impossible, no way to legally insure or register it after you buy it. Also unless you have a shit ton of money and a job to prove you won't overstay your visa you only have max 3 months. Renting a car for 3 months (depending on your age) will be 2-3k max, which is less than what it would be to buy a car reliable enough for a 3 month long road trip.
>>
>>1094834
The thing about rules is they are sort of a siv for straining out nerds from society. Only nerds follow rules and the Alpha males who don't worry and cry about being a month or 2 overstay usually get laid a lot and have a good time.

It takes years to deport someone and they won't catch shit for being a few months overstay, you make it seem like a Dutchman cruising in a Volvo station wagon for a few months will get thrown in federal prison. The most he gets is a letter and maybe a court date, but he won't get locked up or anything for being less than a year over his visa.

Also this sniveling little geek failed to mention resale value, as in, if it's a car older than 2003 you'll be getting the same as you paid for it when you sell it, probably more if you buy it in the Midwest and sell it in California. If you buy it in Canada and sell it in California, guaranteed you will make at least 500 dollar profit because of the dollar exchange.

This actually brings me to my next suggestions:

>Chevy Astro
>GMC Safari

Both are the largest minivans made around the millenial time, so you get both size and a touch of comfort. You could actually throw a bed in the back, get a block heater, and sleep just fine. Think of all the cash you'll save.

>tl:Dr
>>1094834 is a pussy geek who has had sex with less than 5 girls in his whole life
>>
>>1094854
Not him, but you sound like a dick. Hope it doesn't work out for you.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.