[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think five and a half hours is enough time to leave Sciphol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1499608.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1499608.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Do you think five and a half hours is enough time to leave Sciphol International, see some of Amsterdam, and return for an international, non-Schengen Area flight? I'm flying from Chicago to Amsterdam and then Amsterdam to New Delhi. I'll be arriving at AMS around 7:15am and leaving again at 12:45pm. I've passed through AMS quite a few times but have never had the chance to see the city.

I won't have checked bags and am a US citizen, so visas aren't necessary.

Does this sound workable?

>deboard, pass through customs (~45 minutes)
>purchase ticket and take train to Amsterdam (~30 minutes)
>explore central part of the city (~1-2 hours to be on the safe side)
>purchase ticket and take train to AMS (~30 minutes)
>pass through security (~20 minutes)

I wouldn't get to see a lot but I've been to Schiphol plenty of times and would like to escape the airport for a change.
>>
I've been to Schipol / Amsterdam many times and think this is definitely doable. You could probably even stay in the city for 2.5 hours. But you should take a taxi, at least in to the city -- since you're short on time, if your ideal starting point for your city tour isn't close to the train station (and it's unlikely to be, as that area is shit tourist tier level) it's a lot more efficient (time-saving) to take a taxi. IIRC, fare is about 50 or 60 Euro,well worth it if this is an infrequent opportunity for you.
>>
>>1060413

Unfortunately I don't think I'd be willing to pay quite that much for a taxi. Is the train station in a particularly bad or boring area? I'm not at all familiar with the layout of Amsterdam city and only started toying with the idea of leaving the airport today.

I'm not planning on participating in any organized services. I'd be happy just walking around, soaking in some architecture and sights, maybe getting breakfast, and heading back to carry on with my next flight.

Thanks for the advice, by the way! From what I've gathered online, Schiphol's security and customs lines tend to be efficient. Does that match with your past experiences? Should I not have to worry too much about getting caught in an hour-long queue coming back to the airport?
>>
>>1060414
>>1060413

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask: what would you recommend doing in the short span of time I'll have available?
>>
>>1060414

There's not much near the airport except a bunch of Hotels. Train into the city is quick and the dutch trains run on time. Tbh, i'd go for it. Central in Amsterdam surrounded by coffeeshops and regular touristy stuff but you wouldn't have time to visit any of the big attractions. Still, the city is beautiful and totally worth seeing, if only for an hour.

Buy a single joint, enjoy with a coffee and cake at a canalside coffeeshop. It'll guarentee you'll sleep all the way to New Delhi
>>
File: 729043.jpg (470 KB, 850x637) Image search: [Google]
729043.jpg
470 KB, 850x637
>>1060415

Well, the train it is then -- they are fast and on time, it's true.

Walk straight out the main station entrance onto the Damrak -- it'll be hard to miss, as it's Amsterdam's mecca for made-in-China authentic Dutch souvenirs. Walk 10-15 minutes up to Dam Square. On the way, look to your left -- you'll see the Grasshopper coffee shop (old building, 2 stories tall, by a canal) -- good place to buy a joint, as >>1060427
suggested.

Once you're in the Dam, if you go east you'll be in the red light district. If you instead go a block west, you hit Nieuwendijk and Kalverstraat; both are pretty nice shopping streets. Further west is mostly residential and nice for walking around. If you go north, you can go along nice streets and canals until you hit the Amstel; there are benches here and there, it's pleasant, and a nice place to finish your joint.

2 hours or so isn't really enough time to go to museums, etc. Walking around -- it's a really nice city for this -- is probably the best use of your time.
>>
>>1060433
>Grasshopper
>good place to buy a joint
If you are a tourist wanting to get slightly fleeced yes.

My tip is central coffeeshop. 100 meters from the station. The place where the hard working proletariat get their baggies before they start their commute of the day. Outstanding quality for the price. Count on getting wasted https://www.smokersguide.com/adressen/514/central.html
>>
>>1060433
>>1060439

Thanks for the advice. I'm honestly not much of a smoker, so I'm not sure whether I'll follow up with those particular suggestions. I've found that, more often than not, marijuana makes me get extremely paranoid and have uncomfortable physical sensations. I had a bad LSD trip a couple years back and haven't been able to enjoy smoking since.

Is there anything else interesting or unique I can do in an hour or two? I don't have my expectations too high because of the short duration of my connection.
>>
>>1060442
>Is there anything else interesting or unique I can do in an hour or two?

Apart from walking around and seeing the city, I can't think of anything in particular. Do the shopping streets (Nieuwendijk and Kalverstraat, they're actually contiguous), go through the red light district, walk down canals, sit and have a coffee, and your 2 hours go by very quickly. There's a palace and a large church on the Dam; you can stick your head into those for a bit.
>>
>>1060402
Nope. Honestly, reschedule your flight for a longer layover and take a 12 to 14 hour layover. I think you are going to be too rushed to do anything other then just walk around and grab lunch. If that is all you want to do, just stay in the airport.
>>
>>1060451
There is alot to do in the Airport for a few hours. A museum, a library. I assume you are flying KLM if you are passing through there, look up the video on Schipol airport on the in flight entertainment to get an idea of all there is to do there.
>>
>>1060467

I've been to Schiphol quite a few times. It's an alright airport but I'd rather spend an hour or two walking around Amsterdam and taking in some sights than chilling in a place that isn't new to me in the slightest.
>>
File: 1446742369362.jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1446742369362.jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>>1060442
>marijuana makes me get extremely paranoid and have uncomfortable physical sensations
>>
>>1060496

Sorry, bro.
>>
>>1060442
I had a bad weed experience in Amsterdam. Mind you, I'm American and I have smoked plenty in my day.
>Last day in Amsterdam. Buy a train ticket to Koln. I have my touring bike with me.
>Discreetly smoke on the platform while waiting. Looking forward to chilling out on the train. Great weather outside.
>Get on the train. Oh cool, it's one of those bullet trains. Nice seats, plugs, bad ass
>Make it one stop, get kicked off cause bikes aren't allowed. I guess the lady didn't know I had a bike.
>Get a new ticket, get on a new train. Ok, this should be fine. I chat up a friendly guy on the train, it's good to have a buddy who knows the language.
>Dutch starts coming out of the speakers. Everyone on the train goes silent. Buddy tells me a person walked out into the tracks, so everyone must get off this train and go backwards one station.
>I'm a fucking sardine in the next train
>Getting disoriented, it's hard enough just making sure I'm going the right direction.

By the time I get to Koln I'm mentally exhausted and I swear that I'll never get high on a travel day ever again. Complete waste of good hash.
>>
>>1060442

Could always get a quick beej
>>
>>1060496
Me too
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.