[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1 Month in Tehran, Iran
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: iranian.jpg (34 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
iranian.jpg
34 KB, 500x330
Heyo guise,
I'm going to spend 1 Month in the capital of the (Islamic State of) Iran.

Gerfag, will meet and stay with locals mainly.
It's 70/30 % artsy project-work/vacation.
So, for the free-time: What do when in Tehran?
Has anybody been there? (Highlights for photography, anyone?)

Normally, I go for food, weird/strange sceneries, nightlife, getting lost in big cities, females, music - in no particular order.
For the beautiful iranian chicks, I'm pretty much out this time, because gf, also Sharia-law in Iran makes it kind of a very real, legal risk..
For nightlife, as you may know, there are no bars, no clubs, no anything official that serves alcohol or a dance floor, because Islamic State. However, the underground party scene is huge and the young people of Iran are very creative when it comes to stretching laws. Experiences anyone?

Also, Iran-general.
>>
Azadi tower(برج آزادی, Borj-e Āzādi,Closed Saturday,Open 8am-12pm&2pm-6pm,6000rial entry)Azadi metro(blue/2,yellow/4)SE exit then walk SE.
4th Golestan Palace-Negar khane(art gallery),Ivan-e Takht-e Marmar(Marble throne Veranda),Emerat-e badgir,Aks Khaneh(Historic photograph gallery)(کاخ گلستان,Closed Tues,Thurs,Sun,Open 9am-3:30pm,total cost of tickets should be 17,000rial)Panzdah-e kordad(red/1)E exit then walk E&take 2nd street N to the entrance.

carpet museum of iran(موزه فرش ایران,Closed Mon,Open 9am-5pm,25,000 entry)&Tehran museum of contemporary art(موزه هنرهای معاصر تهران,Thu-Sat 10:00-17:30,Closed Sun,Mon,Tues,Wed)Meydan-e Vali Asr(Valiasr square metro,Light blue/3)SW exit then walk SW and take the 11th street N(the street on the SW edge of the park)the contemporary art museum will be on your E side,enter the museum, then continue N along the park and on your E side will be the carpet museum.

National museum of Iran(موزهٔ ملی ایران,Mūze-ye Millī-ye Irān,5000rial entry,Closed Mon,Open 9am-5pm)&Museum of the islamic period(Open 9am-4pm,5000rial entry,Closed Mon)&Bagh-e melli complex.Walk from hotel.
5th Glass and ceramics museum(موزه آبگینه و سفالینه,25,000rial entry,Open Tu-Su 9:00-17:00,Closed Mon)Walk from hotel.
5th National jewels museum(Open Sat-Tues 2pm-4:30pm,Closed Wed,Thu,Fri,150,000Rial entry)Walk from hotel.

US Den of espionage&Down with the USA mural( سفارت ایالات متحده آمریکا، تهران,ask if you can take photos,free to photo)Taleghani(Taleqani,red/1)Then just to your NW.

shah abdol azim(شاه عبدالعظیم ,likely open Sunrise-Sunset,free entry)Shah-e Rey(Red/1)take SE exit then walk SE and take 8th street S to the entance.

Holy shrine of khomeini(Open 24hrs,Free entry)Haram-e-Motahhar(red/1)NW exit and walk NW.
>>
emamzadeh saleh( امامزاده صالح,likely free entry,Open Sunrise-Sunset)Tajrish(Red/1)W exit then walk W&take 2nd street S

Sa'd abad museum complex-Nations art Museum,Kakhe malakeye madar,White Palace,Green palace(Shalvand palace),the museum of fine arts(کاخ سعدآباد,8am-4pm,Total cost of tickets should be 16,000rial)Tajrish metro(red/1)then taxi to the museum complex,see the sights and then return the same way.

Reza Abbasi museum(موزه رضا عباسی,Open 9am-5pm,Closed Mon,25,000 entry)Shahid Sayyade Shirazi metro(light blue/3)then taxi to the museum,enter,then taxi back to the metro.
6th Tehran City Theater(Te'atr e Shahr,exterior only)Valiasr metro(light blue/3,yellow/4)S exit then walk S.

Iranian photographers centre(Akskhaneh Shahr,Open 10:00-13:00&16:00-19:00,Closed friday,free entry)Ferdowsi(yellow/4)W exit then walk W then take 4th street N then 4th street W and the centre should be on the N side of the street.

Tabiat Bridge view(پل طبیعت,Pol-e Tabi'at)Shahid Haghani metro(red/1)W exit then walk SW into the park and up onto the bridge for the view(day&night)
>>
Okay.. that's a lot of details, thanks man.. greatly appreciate it. Other than addresses: Any experiences? Underground-Tips? Food-Tips (Special Restaurants, locations)?
>>
>>1052149
Don't know, haven't been.Going in February for 1month.

Don't give anyone the thumbs up sign.
>>
1 month is a bloody long time
but tehran is really big so you'll have to do your own research about areas that are a bit out of the way
there's a lot of places to go but you'll probably want to get out of the city when you have free time because it's really crowded and hectic
didn't really check out the nightlife but the armenian club is the only place that legally sells alcohol, although i hear it's really expensive
have fun dude
>>
Parties with bountiful alcohol and weed are pretty common, you'll be invited to plenty as soon as you make local (rich) friends. Couchsurfing, badoo, tinder or whatever can help with that. I did once end up in an illegal club which was pretty good fun.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to spend a month in Tehran when there are so many more beautiful and diverse places in the country.
>>
Why do people want to visit that shithole of a country? Genuine question.
>>
Genuine answer: A lot of people think about Iran that way, however, do not confuse it with its neighbouring countries such as armenia, Iraq etc.
Not to be all historic-smartass but Iran (read: Persia) has always been a highly developed culture, especially regarding education and medicine (hence the famous book "The Medicus", google it, great read, i promise).
And yup, it's an islamic state but a the vast majority of people (almost all young people) are against the regime and know their ways around the restrictions and laws. The famous iranian hospitality sounds like a cliché or superficial like that of the japanese (not always but often), but it really is jaw-dropping how much people will invite you for dinner or even to stay over.
Besides, the already mentioned underground scene is my personal main reason to go. That and a thing for risky/unusual trips.
>>
>>1052396
+1 on this. Gerfag here as well, just came back from a week business trip to Teheran. The hospitality is outstanding, it is very easy to get in contact with people. Especially when they get to know you are from Germany which is deeply respected.
Here are some spots I visited which were great:
Darband: starting point for hiking the mountains, lots of Restaurants there
Green Bridge: nice place to hang around

Sidenote: i heard this sentence alot: in iran, everything is forbidden, but everything is possible.
>>
>>1052384
Could you be any more American? Dat mix of ignorance and xenophobia.
>>
>>1052515
Could you be any more smug? Dat mix of ignorance and assumptions.
>>
>>1052384
More people die in your checker board street hamburger place, faggot.
>>
I have been to Tehran twice, so I can give you some advice.
Persians are extremely hospitable, they'll invite you for dinner in a heartbeat. If you are Western looking they'll greet you on the street or out of the blue talk with you. They're very happy that you, all the way from a Western country (if you are in fact from a Western country), came to their Iran. Really, Iranians are the nicest people I have ever met. Most Iranians do not speak English, but there a a lot of young students who do. Learn some basic Persian words, they really appreciate that.

Tehran is a huge city with 16 million inhabitants. The north is the richer area and the south is the moor poorer area. I have not seen slums or anything, but they probably exist. Also note that prices between north and south differ a lot, with the south being much cheaper. Don't forget to bargain.

Here are some important things to remember:
- In Iran there is a system of 'ta'arof' which is basically a play act you need to perform when interacting with locals. If an Iranian says: Do you want to have some food? It's polite to say no at first. When they ask again you can say yes.
- People will not hate you because you're from a Western country. They only hate Israel, not even the USA (only the real hardliner Khomeinists hate the USA but they're not the mainstream). Like I said, they will love you for it.
- Iranians love to talk about politics. I'd advice you to just be inquiring and
- You'll get in a traffic jam A LOT, especially around six or seven when most Iranians go outside (at least in the summer)
- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. You can NOT wear tank tops or shorts. Your legs and shoulders need to be covered. Flip-flops are cool. If you're a woman, you need to wear a hijab but you can still show hair. You'll also need to hide your female body parts (tits 'n' ass)
- Tehran is not a very historical city and most of the building are ugly concrete. If you want history, I'd advice to go to Esfahan or Shiraz. (1/2)
>>
>>1052655
>- Iranians love to talk about politics. I'd advice you to just be inquiring and
avoid controversial subjects, I wanted to say

cont. (2/2)
- It's possible to go to underground parties. Just ask local people who look modern and stylish. Be discreet about it though. Partying underground can be risky, with the religious police sometimes raiding houses and smashing the heads of the partygoers. This does not happen very often, but it happens.
- Iranian women are fucking beautiful but your chances of getting laid are very low, except maybe on the aforementioned illegal parties. The hot Persian women will eye you constantly if you're Western looking
- People will look at you a lot on the streets, do not be offended by this.
- Persian food is the motherfucking best.
- Also this: Iran is extremely cheap but it'll get more expensive now that the sanctions are going to be lifted.
- Go the northern (in Persian: shomal) provinces.
This is my advice, more or less. It's a lovely country. I do not really understand why you only want to stay in Tehran. Flights and busses are very cheap in Iran. Other cities worth visting: Esfahan, Shiraz, Masshad, Ardabil, Tabriz and Kashan. Khodahafez and good luck.
>>
>>1052657
oh i forgot a few things:

- Do not read Lonely Planet, they suck
- Landmarks: Millad Tower, Azadi monument, Khomeini's grave (provided you're not USA or British), mosques in general, a lot of beautiful parks, the palace complex of the old shah. You can find this stuff on the internet.
>>
>>1052655
>- In Iran there is a system of 'ta'arof' which is basically a play act you need to perform when interacting with locals. If an Iranian says: Do you want to have some food? It's polite to say no at first. When they ask again you can say yes.
also to add to this: some locals might think you're not used to taarof so they will not offer again. It's tricky sometimes but that's always the case with foreign cultures isn't it.
>>
Original german poster here, thanks a lot for the detailed advice, though i already knew most of it through research. I'm looking more for individual, personal stories/experiences, even weird/funny situations, in detail (because, why not?).
"Why only Tehran?"
Like i said, i have to stay in tehran for about 70 % of the time, working on mentioned "art project" -> i'm filming a documentary there.
So, if i'll be satisfied with the material before my visa is over, i'll of course also go to shiraz & isfahan.
If i can get more time = more cities, of course.
So, does anybody have some detailed, funny stories about their trip to tehran/iran? Would greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>1052679
If you want a complete culture shock: go to Qom. It's only two hours drivings and you'll get to know the city of ayatollahs
>>
>>1052679
What's your documentary on OP?
>>
>>1052679
It's a place where pretty cool things can happen. I don't have the time to write out stories at the moment, but examples include hitchhiking with a dude who was driving at 140km/h while smoking crack, getting the most stoned I've ever been by the Caspian Sea and visiting the Hezbollah "embassy" in Tehran and scoring a free Hezbollah flag. Parties are still the most fun though. Girls will walk in wearing the full chador, go into a bedroom, and come out dressed like they're going clubbing and looking mighty fine.
>>
>>1052701
Or Mashhad.
>>
>>1052516
Nah m8 he's pretty dead on with his assumptions about you
>>
>>1052857
LOL, more than 1 poster is calling you on your shit, okker.
>>
>>1052763
Are the girls horny? For example, could you have had sex with one of you wanted to of is the risk of being caught by the police too big?
>>
>>1052898
Some girls are willing to fuck, and yeah it's possible but not easy. I did have an opportunity when I was in a girl's apartment who had repeatedly talked about my penis and her past experiences sleeping with foreigners, but I honestly wasn't attracted to her.

From my experience, the majority of girls who are open minded to these things are the rich ones, and they aren't going to find you exotic enough to fuck you unless you are rich or impressive in some other way. So yeah you can get laid if you are smooth enough to pick up girls in your home country and can find a place to do the deed, but it isn't like Africa or Asia where it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
>>
File: persian.jpg (83 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
persian.jpg
83 KB, 500x335
>>1052909
As a flip side to this I'm an Albanian-Macedonian Muslim woman who visited Iran for 16 days in the summer of 2014. I got no less than 6 marriage proposals...

The food is incredible, be prepared to gain some weight. I recommend:

The local Pizza
Fesenjan
Sabzi Khordan
Tadeeg

Street Food is just as good as the fancy restaurants if you ask me.
>>
>>1052679
I have a lot of stories but I dont have stories like 'dude i got so high and fucked tons of iranian bitches in a mosque' or something. For me it was my first time travelling outside of Europe so I was in awe most of the time I was there. Came back last summer and the culture shock wasn't so big then.
>>
>>1052658
From memory Rick Steves was able to go and film in Khomeini's grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D61uriEGsIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtELk8S3dhU
>>
>>1052396
> Armenia

Wat? That's a European country..
>>
Tehran born and raised here.

Pretty much what others said is true. Tehran is very divided in culture. There are people who would wake up at 5am to pray, and next door live people who have bars in their houses full of alcoholic beverages. Fortunately people from the latter group are pretty easy to spot since they dress more open and look more "Western". Also Tehran is very easy to navigate based on income. The northern you go, the higher the incomes.

To add on top of what others said, you should visit the Christian stuff in Tehran too. For instance, visit the villa (St. Sarkis) cathedral in central Tehran or go to the Ararat sport complex in the north (has a restaurant for Armenians with the twist that it's one of the only public places where you'll see people without hijab).
>>
File: 1318126183958.jpg (124 KB, 337x367) Image search: [Google]
1318126183958.jpg
124 KB, 337x367
>>1053657
>>
File: Screenshot_20151124-091704.png (565 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151124-091704.png
565 KB, 1440x2560
>>1053680
>
>>
File: 1318126353988.jpg (27 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
1318126353988.jpg
27 KB, 331x334
>>1053763
You are trolling, right? Look at the name of the country bordering Armenia's South...
>>
File: 1445321066803.jpg (18 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1445321066803.jpg
18 KB, 408x408
>>1053657
>>
>>1053863
Asia and Europe don't have set in stone borders(see: Eurasia). It can be anywhere. You would imagine that most of Armenians would want to be associated with Europe more than Asia.

Also, nowadays Armenia is considered Europe by most organizations. It even participates in Eurovision and other European contests.
>>
>>1053892
Who the fuck cares? Everybody knows that. You (if you made the original stupid post) seemed to be arguing that Armenia didn't border Iran.
>>
>>1053905
I was born in Iran and I'm Armenian. My original post was referring to the fact that you listed Armenia next to a shithole country and advised OP to not confuse Iran with Armenia. No body denied that Armenia borders Iran. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>>
>>1053909
Ah I see. To be fair (I didn't make that post), Armenia did strike me as more backwards than Iran. Too caught up in identity and pride and stuff, whereas Iranians seemed more worldly in their outlook.
>>
>>1053910
That's generally true. A lot of Armenian-Armenians (Armenians born in Armenia) are very traditional. I know a couple friends here in the US whose parents don't let them have boyfriends / girlfriends, however just like Iran people from the capital are generally the most modern ones
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.