[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AirBnb Hosts Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
I'm going to be operating Airbnbs in downtown Vancouver. I have a few questions for some experienced hosts who take Airbnb seriously and use it as a significant source of income.

1 - Do you meet your guests or let make them pick up keys at key holding services?

2 - How do you deal with neighbors/security/property mangers, and how do you make your airbnb as discrete as possible?

3 - Do you offer your guests parking? New strange cars in the apartments parkade every couple days seems like a dead giveaway for those investigating possible Airbnbs in their building.

4 - Whats your strategy during the off seasons? Do the amount of bookings drastically drop, and how much do you lower prices?

5 - Have you been confronted about Airbnb by a property manager? How did that play out?

5 cont. - How long on average does it take for the managers to figure out that you're operating in their building? (Assuming you've been being discrete)

6 - What are some giveaways through early messaging that someone might not be a good guest?

7 - Got any horror stories?
>>
>>1135248
1) I meet them if possible, if i'm not around, they can pick the keys at a shop in the same street.
2) I don't deal with it. Nver had any problem.
3) I live in the middle of Strasbourg. My street is closed for car. Parkings are outside of the city.
4) Depends on where you live. I don't really rise my price during holidays.
5) Never. I don't have a building manager.
6) Depends of what you want. I don't rent to people 30+, lifestyle too different. On phone, i just check if i have a good vibe with the potential guest/
7) Not really, only had cool people so far.
>>
>>1135248
Hosting in Venice, Italy
1) I always meet my guests and talk to them, I explain where the places of interest are, where to buy groceries, where to eat and reply to anything they ask about
2) nosy neighbours are easily silenced if you have all the authorizations, same goes for homeowners. If you intend on doing this illegally forget it. No matter what precautions you take, guests will end up making themselves obvious and you'll be in trouble. Couch surfing might be a better option if this is how you roll
3) my house has a parking space I never use and guests are happy about it. Some just leave the car in the street.
4) I lower the price and hope for the best. November-March is the worst time
5) no since I own the place. I've gotten a financial police visit once but everything was in order
6) if the guest has lots of demands, asks for discount, asks if it's ok to have a party/have other people come along/shoot a movie or photobook, doesn't speak English or some language you know at least enough to understand them, is a mainland Chinese, asks to pay in cash, asks to see the house beforehand, or appears to not have read the listing at all, it's best to not let them book.
7) a fat American woman and her fatter mother tried cooking over the kitchen fire's glass countertop, probably thinking it was induction or something, which exploded in a thousand pieces I had to spend the morning getting rid of. At least they paid for the damage.
>>
>>1135316
>if the guest asks for discount, pay in cash, asks to see the house beforehand

These seem like reasonable requests, you had bad experiences with people making them?
Also any other group of people in addition to mainland Chinese which are trouble? I was doing student exchange with Spaniards and don't think I'll ever let group of them into my property.
>>
>>1135356
If you let them pay in cash you're not eligible for airbnb's insurance
If you let them see the place first, they may be thieves wanting to scout your property
Asking for discounts admittedly is a minor thing but my price range starts from the minimum possible to not lose money on upkeep so I'm not a fan of discounts
As far as ethnicities go Chinese mainlanders are really the only ones you should be always wary of, anything else has to do with your prices. A medium range of prices lets you avoid the worst ends of the spectrum between careless and entitled people. The rest is just luck. Always read the reviews if they have some and don't use instant book at the beginning
>>
>>1135361
Agree on that. i don't rent to Chinese. Way too dirty
>>
I did this in the early days of airbnb.
I had a very fancy house in a resort town and rented out rooms.
I played host and made cocktails snacks and breakfast.
I had sex with 40% of my guests.
Not sure it its like that anymore.
Best time of my life if I am honest.
I posted about this here a few years ago, I dont think people believed me though.
I wish I still had that house ;_;
>>
>>1135549
A dream come true
>>
Not OP but I have a question for airbnb users (or host).

The family of my wife owns a private house in a seaside location of Italy, since long-term italian guests often cause problem (haggling like fuck, leaving the house in a mess etc.) wee were thinking to market it to a international crowd for short therm stays. Thus airbnd seems ideal.

My question is: I won't be there, the folks over there would hand the keys, clean and even cook breakfast, but can't speak a single word of english. I could be available to talk with guests on phone and email, but I fear that communication problems could still cause bad reviews. What do you think?
>>
>>1135549
Kek I can believe it, someone I know fucked a 17 year old Russian girl they were hosting. Never happened to me though, my rental is separate from the main house.
>>1135677
Kinda tricky but if you leave notes with clear instructions in English and a phone number they can call at any time it can be done
>>
>>1135677
>The family of my wife
What about your wifes son?
Is he mixed race?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.