[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
USA road trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 19
File: road trip.png (563 KB, 1353x677) Image search: [Google]
road trip.png
563 KB, 1353x677
Criticize my plan.
>>
You're going to be bored out of your fucking mind from the start of Ohio to the end of Nebraska.
>>
>>1125650
Bored out of mind the second you leave philly, then once u hit chicago you will be a little more interested, then back to being bored until you hit western Nebraska
>>
>skipping denver
>skippinh the colorado rockies
>skipping yellowstone
>skipping northwestern montana
>skipping seattle and puget sound
>skipping portland
>skipping crater lake
>skipping san francisco
>skipping yosemite
>skiping the grand canyon

literally the only thing you did right was include zion

also
>kalifornia
>everything else is spelled right
>mfw
>>
you better have a fast fuckin car to get through all that boring shit in the middle of the country. Even after that, this road trip doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>1125650
fuck yo plan
>>
>>1125650
>Skipping the Circle City
Oh.
>>
I don't think you realize how fucking big America is, OP. We fly a lot for a reason.

That's going to be a crazy long drive.
>>
>>1125650
Go South before you go North lad, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Denver, then to Cheyenne instead. Leave the rest the same.

>>1125659
Stop posting this stupid pic
>>
>>1125659
Why would I go to SF and Seattle?

>>1125706
I'm prepared for that.

>>1125719
The thing is, I'd really like to visit Los Angeles, Montana and New York City. Between that, not a clue.
>>
>>1125650
>skipping new orleans
>>
File: 058.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
058.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
>>1125650
>>1125659
^mostly this
but also:
>skipping DC.
Besides NYC it's the best city on the eastern coast. I get that you would if you want to drive along the north and see Chicago though, Chicago is a decent city.

>Driving through Iowa and Nebraska then skipping Colorado
Why? makes no sense. If you don't have your heart set on Montana, I'd suggest driving down to some of colorado then heading up to wyoming and idaho.

>turning away from the pacific northwest in favor of vegas and LA
If you want to visit wyoming you probably like to see natural beauty/cool landscapes/nature, you'd want to see the north western coast.
I don't know if you have to end in LA, but if I were you I'd head from CO->WY->ID(i guess if you want)->OR/WA->down the coast when you can on the pacific coast highway (PCH beautiful drive) to San Fran. if you want to see CA.

Do what you want, but that's what I'd want to see as someone who lives in the states.
>>
Chicago-st Louis-Denver/Boulder/Rocky Mountain national park -Laramie wy- hit Cody in Wyoming if u go past it may as well check yellow stone-
>>
>>1125726
Drive through Indianapolis.
It's pretty great.
>>
>>1125809
>it's flat and we have corn!
>>
>>1125812
Indianapolis is the capital. Indiana is the state.
We have racing and pharmaceuticals. And just a general city. It's got some nice stuff.
>>
>>1125813
Left turn racing and... drugs?

I'd rather make a bee line for a more interesting city in order to have more time there.
>>
>>1125817
Legal drugs.
Anyway, he's driving through empty northern Indiana anyway, might as well drive through the capital.
>>
>>1125817
>>1125819
Also, racing is the best sport in the world.
And we have the best racing.
>>
File: white ape.jpg (93 KB, 811x352) Image search: [Google]
white ape.jpg
93 KB, 811x352
>>1125821
dumb hoosier
>>
File: 1416192979658.gif (687 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1416192979658.gif
687 KB, 256x256
>>1125726
NYC, Baltimore, Washington DC, Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, Denver, then to Cheyenne, Billings, Las Vegas, LA

is what you want
>>
File: roadtrip.png (509 KB, 1337x629) Image search: [Google]
roadtrip.png
509 KB, 1337x629
>>1125847
Looks pretty good.

>>1125776
I have my heart set on Montana because it looks awesome. Also, NYC and LA are must. Don't know when would be the next time I could visit US.

Trip would be a month, maybe two.
>>
File: St_Mary_Lake.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1200) Image search: [Google]
St_Mary_Lake.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1200
>>1125879
>I have my heart set on Montana because it looks awesome

well you're skipping the best part of it. i assume you've been looking at pics like this one?
>>
Who the fuck leaves New Jersey and goes to Scranton?

Why wouldn't you head West through Philly or the Lehigh Valley and see some stuff?
>>
File: MoreOfMontana.jpg (427 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
MoreOfMontana.jpg
427 KB, 1920x800
>>1125883
Pictures like this.
>>
File: gnp loc.jpg (225 KB, 1065x664) Image search: [Google]
gnp loc.jpg
225 KB, 1065x664
>>1125889
yeah, that's also glacier national park. need to reroute if you want to see stuff like that.

and if you're going soon all the lodge rooms and campsites are probably already booked for the next 3+ months.
>>
>>1125899
I'm going next summer.
>>
File: europe-us-overlay-map.jpg (82 KB, 618x405) Image search: [Google]
europe-us-overlay-map.jpg
82 KB, 618x405
>>1125879
>>1125889
>you are now aware that montana is bigger than germany
>>
>>1125901
for planning, major n.p.s like glacier and zion book up 3-6 months in advance for peak season.
>>
File: burgeroi.png (119 KB, 252x273) Image search: [Google]
burgeroi.png
119 KB, 252x273
>>1125902
Fuck me.
>>
File: Eldeh.jpg (421 KB, 2000x1637) Image search: [Google]
Eldeh.jpg
421 KB, 2000x1637
>>1125917
here's another view. basically you're looking at driving from armenia to lisbon.

but don't feel bad. you're not the first yuro to have no idea how big the u.s. is.
>>
>>1125919
I had some idea, but it's pretty massive. Hmm. Still, people do 1-2 month coast-to-coast trips by car and they seem to survive them.
>>
>>1125931
oh yeah, it's totally doable. i drove from east texas to northern california in 5 days, including spending an entire day at the grand canyon and stops at a couple other n.p.s along the way and it wasn't too bad. it's just good to have a sense what you're getting in for so you can budget your travel time appropriately.
>>
>>1125904
going to grand canyon July 9th just booked three days ago staying in grand canyon village stop being a fag though do book as soon as possible since I did have to look a couple day in a row for a proper room to impregnate my girl in with a view of the canyon
>>
>>1125650
>Go through Pittsburgh to get to Chicago. That stretch of I-80 but the lakes is boring as shit.
>The best think about Iowa is that it's not Nebraska...so get steaks in Omaha and be on your way.
>You better really enjoy hiking or hunting because that's pretty much everything from Laramie to SLC
>Spend more time in downtown Vegas if you have a lower budget...pizza is like $5 a slice on the Strip
>Go to Death Valley, old military sites and Hoover Dam en route to LA
>get AAA with 100 mile towing and keep water and blankets in the car
>keep a lot of gas in the tank...stops are few and far between
>Avoid Taco Time, Del Taco and Sonic
>>
>>1125650
When you're going along Lake Erie, stop and spend a day at Cedar Point in Sandusky>>1125650
>>
>>1125650
>skipping colorado
>going to LA at all
JUST
>>
>>1125650

Nebraska will be the most boring stretch of your trip

Stop in Colorado. Go to Denver, Boulder, Rocky Mountain National Park.

Visit Yellow Stone since you are going that far north into Wyoming

Don't Skip Utah's National Parks: Bryce Canyon and Zion
>>
>>1126167
Yellowstone at the peak tourist season is like the LA freeway with bison. Very disappointing -- it is a wonderful place when it is less crowded.
>>
>>1125650
>not visiting based Milwaukee
>>
>>1125847
Billings sucks.

Milwaukee is fun in the summer.
>cheaper than Chicago
>nicer
>laid back
>festivals
You get the big city experience in NYC anyways.
>>
>family visits from Holland
>they planned to visit all of the US in a week.

kek
>>
>>1125899
Agree don't go to places like Nebraska and Billings. Go to glacier national park. Then west to Seattle or a national park around there, like Olympia. Then go down the coast on the 101, pacific coast highway. See the redwoods... and eventually los angelos if you really want.

Hmm, in between Chicago? Maybe Minneapolis, the badlands in s. Dakota, the mountains west of Denver? Not sure, there is a whole lot of nothing between the Mississippi and the Rockies.
>>
>>1126140
i'm glad you got lucky, but that's not a typical experience. op should not count on it.
>>
>>1126184
It's still a very unique place, I'd recommend everyone visit Yellowstone at least once. Driving over Beartooth Pass is cool too.
>>
>>1126225
Anon can camp nearby or sleep in his car.
>>
>>1126310
>camp nearby
depends on your definition of nearby. but i concede that there are usually private campgrounds within an hour of most n.p.s for $20-30/night. of course once the campgrounds in the park fill, the campgrounds around the park start to go pretty quickly, too.
>sleep in his car
false. unless he's interested in getting woken up by a ranger at 1 am, ticketed $126, and ordered to leave.
>>
>>1125650
>skipping Louisville

It's like you don't want to enjoy the best bourbon in the world. Plus, you can see what all the hullabaloo is about Muhammad Ali.
>>
>>1126313
I'm not saying sleep in the park. He can sleep somewhere else. I've lived in MT and theres not much out there, he can sleep in his car. Even if you sleep in a Walmart parking lot and have to drive an hour to get to the parks.

If you're doing all this to see America, dont let a lack of reservation stop you.
>>
>>1126317
gotcha. i misunderstood. i'm just easily triggered because fucking morons continually suggest bandit camping IN parks like no one's ever thought of it and rangers don't aggressively enforce it.
>>
File: 0612161719a.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
0612161719a.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>>1125879
Original was better. You should drive 212 over Beartooth Pass, and 12 from Grangeville to Lolo along the Clearwater and Lochsa. Go to Glacier too, if only to drive the going to the sun road. Don't even have to leave your car for great views like you posted.
>pic related, taken from the road today
>>
File: 1465637102653.gif (24 KB, 60x95) Image search: [Google]
1465637102653.gif
24 KB, 60x95
>going all the way through Wyoming (It's nice but it'll get really old)
>going through some of the most boring parts of Utah (Zion is cool though)
>not going to the pacific northwest at all
>not going through Colorado at all
>>
North Dakota is the least visited state. Go out if your way to visit it. Its a rite of passage.
>>
File: roadtrip.png (687 KB, 947x485) Image search: [Google]
roadtrip.png
687 KB, 947x485
Figured that I might as well throw my US roadtrip plan on here and get some advice as well.
>>
>>1128260
>c, d, e, f, o
fuck all those places (unless you're visiting family)
>literally driving around yellowstone
why?
>missing out on crater lake and yosemite
i'd take i5 south out of portland, hit both those parks then cut west across nevada to slc
>>
>>1128263
The points aren't actual stops, they were just cities along the route that I marked to more easily keep the path accurate. If you want, I can just give a written list of the actual stops.

And I've already been to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Yosemite, so I wanted to go somewhere new.
>>
File: cl.png (108 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108 KB, 228x221
>>1128267
>my US roadtrip plan
>points aren't actual stops
>expects useful feedback
>mfw
>>
>>1128276
fair enough.
>>
>>1128263
Also,

>C
>Niagara Cave

>E
>Mount Rushmore

>F
>Devil's Tower
>>
We're supposed to get from Boston to San Jose in a week by car. Is it doable while stopping by places such as Zion nat park and places like the Rockies? We'll do one stop every night, explore the area before moving on. Maybe stop by random interesting places we drive by.

What route is the best?
>>
>>1128503
how many drivers? if you can grind out boston to denver in the first two days that'll give you 5 days to make it the rest of the way which should give you time to at least skim the major attractions along the way. i did houston to san jose in 5 days, including a full day at the grand canyon (2 nights in flagstaff), and still got to see carlsbad caverns and petrified forest along the way.
>>
>>1125809
>>1125813
>>1125819
Lmao. Indianapolis isn't the absolute worst place on Earth but you're doing a terrible job of selling the city.

>It's the state capital, you won't find one of these in any of the other 50 states!
>Turn left!
>You can get prescription drugs here, there's no Percocet in California or New York!
>>
>>1125655
>Wyoming detected
>>
>>1128785
this. flyovers are so pathetic at shilling there irrelevant ""cities""
>>
>>1128785
>terrible job

Another Indianapolis anon here and I'm going to have to agree that while my fellow Indyfag probably means well, he is doing a terrible job selling the city.
While we do indeed have the track and world class healthcare and drugs companies, the real reasons that OP should visit Indy are

>excellent local craft beer
>some genuinely cool bar areas in Fountain Square and Mass Ave... and the more casual Broad Ripple
>Indy 11 playing all summer - cheap with a very loud and friendly crowd; best in the NASL, better than many MLS and they have games all summer
>and lots of live sports going on all of the rest of the year; NFL, NBA, hockey, baseball and soccer all here
>a walkable downtown with plenty of decent stuff to see
>good food from all over the world
>some good museums including the Eiteljorg which will get you in the mood for all those Western landscapes you'll be driving through
>a zoo (OK they're everywhere but still it's a good time)

Not saying it's the focal point of your trip but you can have a good couple of days here.

>muh corn
Indianapolis is a very different vibe to the rest of Indiana
>>
File: backgound-main221-1600x631.jpg (343 KB, 1600x631) Image search: [Google]
backgound-main221-1600x631.jpg
343 KB, 1600x631
>>1125899
>>1126224
Also, If you're going to go west from Glacier, I recommend spending at least a little time at Coeur d'Alene in Idaho. I may not be as breathtaking as Montana but it's still real nice.
>>
>>1126214
Real talk Milwaukee is one of the most underrated cities in the country let alone the Midwest. (Michigander who visited last summer)
>>
Here's my trip. What's there to do in St. Louis and Kansas? Any notable spots around the path?
>>
File: AllAmericanRoadTrip.png (351 KB, 1393x559) Image search: [Google]
AllAmericanRoadTrip.png
351 KB, 1393x559
>>1130356
Damn forgot my pic
>>
>>1130358
What the hell are you doing at H? Are you just trying to be on the ocean for no reason? Add Washington DC.
>>
>>1130373
lol I live in Virginia Beach.
>>
>>1125650

I think you're missing out on a lot of stuff with that route, and spending a lot of time in boring ass states.

There's really no interesting way through Iowa / Nebraska, but you should go South from Wyoming and hit Denver, go through the Rockies. Then you can cut back West on the US 50 into Utah before getting back on track. I also highly recommend seeing the Grand Canyon in AZ on your way out to California.
>>
>>1130575

Also, I recommend you divert North a bit so you can follow the coast some.

Source: I spent 3 months touring the Western US on an on/off road motorcycle.
>>
>>1125706
Google maps gives the exact distance and an estimate of the time it takes. It's even a part of the OP. Why would you think that he doesn't know how far it is?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.