[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iceland ring road trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ZANZUP.jpg (686 KB, 990x742) Image search: [Google]
ZANZUP.jpg
686 KB, 990x742
Is there any way of doing the Iceland ring road trip on the cheap? If you've done it before, how much did you spend? Will cutting corners on prices just ruin the experience?
>>
>>1129668
yes, in March. Perfect time for northern lights. About 12 hours of sunlight. Everything is off season priced and like 80% less tourists.

You can rent a car that is turned into a sleeper car at e.g. www.campervaniceland.com

I don't remember how much I spent. The food and hotels are the most expensive things (after the car, duh), but if you sleep in the camper you can do the ring in like 8 days for about 1400 euro max.

But you need a car in Iceland, trust me. What you don't need is a jeep or 4x4. The ring road is just fine.
>>
>>1129708
1400 Euros for an 8 day trip sounds pretty expensive to me. If that's the cheapest it can be done then, hey, that's life, I just wonder if there's any way to do it cheaper. We're looking to go in July though, so I think either way, it'll be out of our budget - I've had a look at some rental prices for camper vans, and that alone would be too much this time round, I think.

What were your highlights of the trip? Is it definitely worth doing?
>>
>>1130143
Hey, if you do it in summer you have to add another 50-70%.

It IS worth it but you do have to do it on the shoulder season, the amount of idiot asians is already high then, but it can be worse.

Highlights: waterfalls, northern lights, volcanoes, geysers, seals, giant icecubes on the beach, being stranded in a snowstorm, being stuck in volcanic sand.

There aren't a lot of hiking options in Iceland, it doesn't have an extensive network of paths or trails.

Iceland is expensive, there's no way around that. You could try camping and hitchhiking though.
>>
>>1130189
to explain the asians:
They don't know how to queue. Fucking selfiesticks everywhere. These people shit in urinals.
And worst of all: they park in the road (which is basicly the freeway) and behind blind hills and corners to take their shitty pictures. If you have done the Californian coast before you'll know what I'm talking about.
>>
On the cheap?

Hitchhike. I did that most of the way around the Ring Road and it was startlingly easy. You will have some problems the farther you get from Reykjavik, especially in the far east. However, a lot of locals will pick you up and you'll never have to worry too much about getting stranded. I was shocked at how quickly I got from Vik back to the capital. The only time I ever had to wait for more than ten or fifteen minutes was near Skaftafell, as the majority of traffic was tourists in rental cars heading to the park for the night.
>>
>>1130203
Yup, what he said.

Also, find people to share a car with. And yeah, the gravel protection insurance isn't a fraud, you actually need it.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.