[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After walking in some bad parts of sanfransisco last night and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: san-franc.jpg (318 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
san-franc.jpg
318 KB, 1600x900
After walking in some bad parts of sanfransisco last night and realizing I was unprepared for the city is just like to know what are some places/streets to avoid and what is some advice for a small town guy when going around the city.
>>
>>1136170
go to the Beat Museum
>>
What do you mean by bad? Like crime? Posting for interest because I'm planning a trip for here soon. Normally I'd say google neighborhood maps and ratings/reviews for them. Or just google what minority lives where.
>>
I was in SF last year for a conference, and I'm from smalltown Germany.

Had a hotel right in the middle of tenderloin, and while it did not really feel nice, it also did not seem to bad.

Maybe it's just a US thing, to be afraid of everything?

The german wikivoyage just says:
>Sicherheit
>San Francisco ist eine sichere Stadt - mit Vorsicht und Umsicht ist jedoch ein Ausflug ins Tenderloin nach Anbruch der Dunkelheit zu genießen.
SF is a safe city, but be careful when going to tenderloin after dark.

The english one on the other hand, has 3 paragraphs, most of them listing just common sense stuff.

I was just behaving as I always do - walk fast and with an aim, just as if I knew the area, and dont stop around, waving around a camera or a map in "bad" areas. If someone asked me for a dime, It was just a friendly "no, sorry", while I kept walking.
>>
>>1136194
Just like
>>1136197

Not bad but a guy stole a guys bike when I was walking and got offered Crack. Also I got a hotel in tenderloin was jusr asking more of streets to avoid but since I'm a Mexican they don't bother me as much just my girlfriend was anxious. Any other cool places to visit.
>>
>>1136232

>watches someone stealing a bike
>just stands there and lets it happen

Go back to mexico you piece of shit.
>>
>>1136170
Brooklyn native here, I am in San Fran for the summer for an internship.

What the fuck do you mean bad? This is barely a city and is extremely nice compared to NYC.
>>
>>1136252
I've been in a lot of major cities around the world and for me, personally, SOME AREAS of San Fran were the most fucked up of all my travels.
>>
>>1136262
Really? I have yet to see anywhere even close to as bad as NYC, Camden, Newark, Jersey City, or Jerusalem.
>>
Last time I was in SF I got spit on by a bum while buying a sandwich in the mission district
>>
>>1136337
>spit on by a bum

Mating ritual.

>>1136293

m8 if there was something worse than Camden it would be Detroit, Somalia, or maybe parts of Syria.

I doubt SF is as bad at its worst as the best of Camden.
>>
>>1136342
Same poster: Oh yeah, I lived in Detroit for a month too. Absolute shithole.
>>
>>1136344
>I lived in Detroit for a month too

Storytime you stingy nigger.
>>
>>1136355
What? I worked as an engineer as an intern, was pretty shitty area. The job was fun, paid pretty good, and I played for the Detroit rugby club which was some of my best rugby yet. Real good banter. Detroit is less like get killed and more just depressing, run down, and empty.
>>
>>1136293
Yeah, could be. Probably just my personal experience though.
>>
>>1136234
Haha for real?
You're really gonna risk getting fucked up for that?
>>
>>1136357
>Detroit is less like get killed and more just depressing, run down,
This is how I would qualify the worst bits of SF that a tourist might see. The Tenderloin is this town's most famous and most visible bad neighborhood, and because it is in a very central location, adjacent to the high-end chain retail/hotel district of Union Square, and just a short walk from Chinatown, North Beach, and the Financial District (all popular with visitors), it's the bad part of town people from elsewhere are most likely to see. But it's also an increasingly popular bar and restaurant destination--tens of thousands of rich white folks go there after dark to eat and drink well, and almost none of them get killed, or even robbed.

It's not the worst part of this town, at least in terms of danger, by a huge margin. In the TL, you are guaranteed to be asked for money by bums and to interact with crazy street people, very likely to be offered drugs by a dealer, and moderately likely to be solicited by a hooker who is sadder than the local average. I guess there is some risk of pickpocketing, too, and your car may get broken into if you're dumb enough to drive there. But it's not even close to the most likely SF neighborhood to get shot in.

To OP, be careful in the Tenderloin, the Western Addition (including the very cool and artsy Lower Haight and the Divisadero corridor), and parts of the Mission. But if you have street sense and can't be mistaken for a member of an enemy gang, the worst possibility is that you'll get painlessly mugged. Even that risk is not huge. The most murderous parts of this city are projects in the extreme South and Southeast, and no place a visitor might accidentally wind up.
>>
>>1136234
Happened in like 2 seconds not much could be done. Plus I was not stronger nor scarier than the guy
>>
>>1136371
Thanks did stay up mostly in the north west and all was good
>>
>>1136371
>projects in the extreme South and Southeast,

>mfw I was looking at hostels in this area

Nope.

>>1136374

Normally you just give a loud, "Hey!", and they run away.
>>
>>1136383
>>mfw I was looking at hostels in this area
No you weren't. There are no hostels in the Bayview, Hunter's Point, or Visitacion Valley.
>>
>>1136400

Daly City. Or is that not the "extreme" south? Prices were cheaper further south, but looks like a long walk anyway. I've never been, so please excuse me if I am mistaken.
>>
>>1136417
>Daly City
Daly City is not the same city as San Francisco.
>>
>>1136293
NYC is not that bad,Jersey City is not that bad.
>>
>>1136499
Yeah NYC where tourists visit is not that bad, where I live there are many shooting and muggings. Jersey City is pretty bad, I don't know where you get that conclusion from.
>>
>>1136499
Also wait a sec just googled your trip, you don't even live in NYC do you? You recommended someone go to Nat Hist. museum on 4th of July weekend saying it wouldn't be crowded. Are you a frickin moron?
>>
>>1136417
Daly City is actually outside of the city of San Francisco (where all the dangerous Southern and Southeastern neighborhoods I mentioned are located) and not very dangerous at all--there's a bit of gang activity, but any violence is almost all inter-gang, and that is mostly Filipino. Worst thing that will happen to a visitor there is getting offered crack or a happy-ending massage from a Pinay.
>>
>>1136569

Huh. Well I booked for richmond area anyway. It's near two big parks and the coastline and reputedly has good restaurants, especially asian. I had one more night at the end of my trip, I was thinking nearer financial district/pacific heights?
>>
>>1136590
>I had one more night at the end of my trip, I was thinking nearer financial district/pacific heights?
The Richmond is quite nice, and not at all touristy--and the Clement St. corridor is indeed good for food and drink.

Pac Heights is a nice neighborhood in the sense that it's fairly wealthy, but it isn't especially interesting to me, personally. It's a fine place but full of generic rich white (and a few Asian) people. More interesting and a little more diverse is Russian Hill, to its East. And the FiDi is closed after 5PM, so not a place to stay, although there are a couple of very good hotels there and it's an easy walk from North Beach or Chinatown.
>>
Avoid it at all costs. Literally, all cost. Bunch of degenerates and liberal scum suckers.
>>
>>1136337

That's how bums show affection you ungrateful prick.
>>
>>1137405
i though I Thought I THOUGHT TRV WAS GOING TO BE CIVILIZED AND CULTURED BUT NO NONONONONOONO 8ITI IS NOT IS NOT IS NOT AND I AM NEVER NEVER NEVER GOING TO RETURN TO /TRV/ DO YOU HEAR ME?!?!??!? DO YOU?!??!?!

HUH?!?!?!?!??!?!
>>
>>1136551
There are different neighborhoods in JC. It's not like Newark or Paterson.
>>
>>1136551
Nobody is visiting Brownsville.
>>
>>1136197

This. I've walked around ass-wasted in slums in Colombia and Turkey and shit. I just made myself look angry and nobody messed with me.
>>
>>1136293
Why the fuck were you in Camden?
>>
>>1138029
Probably went to see the aquarium. It's getting a bit better though.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.