[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just found out I'll be in Ireland for a week. Have a month
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (532 KB, 1600x2200) Image search: [Google]
Ireland_(MODIS).jpg
532 KB, 1600x2200
Just found out I'll be in Ireland for a week. Have a month off from work in August so I figured I'd meet my sister there while she's traveling with a couple of friends.

My question is basically what should I do? Landing in Dublin but I think the group will be willing to go to the southwest of Ireland. Renting a car necessary for this?

Although I'd love to I don't think we'll be visiting the six counties.

Any tips in general?

>inb4 don't say "top of the mornin, talk about your great-great-great grandfather, wear green everyday, etc
>>
And also what is the food like? The one Irish person I spoke to mentioned chicken curry and I'm not sure if he is fucking with me
>>
>>1135583
>Although I'd love to I don't think we'll be visiting the six counties.
if you can, then go to crossmaglen, but i guess you can't...
>>
>>1135599
What separates it from the rest of NI?
>>
>>1135611
I'm the same dude you asked

it's just a rural village near the border that doesn't feel spectacularly different than a lot of areas in that part of the entire island, but as I recently said on another thread, I really enjoyed myself there, partially owing to getting laid at the end of a trip that had generally gone poorly

Cross Square Hotel is comfy, though, and there are several nice pubs, if you are looking to just chill fucking out for a few days

(I mean, its past was violent as shit, but that was a long time ago)
>>
>>1135583
>Renting a car necessary for this?
Ireland got left-hand traffic. So you better be used to it.
buses and express buses can bring you nearly everywhere
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_%C3%89ireann
>>
>>1135584
the Irish do love themselves some curry and will often order it with "chips" or chicken.
As far as odd cuisine goes its pretty basic meat and potatoes in Ireland most pubs offer a lunchtime carvery which is like a cheap buffet style meal where two different kinds of meats potatoes and vegetables are served i found it the best value for my money and quite filling
>>
>>1135624
Sounds like a good time to me but I don't think I can convince my companions to go somewhere like this. I'm kind of tagging along last minute. Perhaps I can go off alone a few days though.
>>1135643
As long as its possible to tour the country without a car than I'll avoid it. Haven't driven in a long time in the US since I live in NYC.
>>1135772
I'll keep the buffet in mind. Sounds like it will be very useful. I've since looked at pics of the standard chicken curry rice chips take out in Ireland and it looks super tasty
>>
File: 2012-10-06_18-03-34_538.jpg (1 MB, 2602x1840) Image search: [Google]
2012-10-06_18-03-34_538.jpg
1 MB, 2602x1840
>>1135788
>I don't think I can convince my companions to go somewhere like this
hitler dubs checked

yeah i get you

like i said my trip had been a total piece of shit, and i split off from this other dude who was largely the cause ... so, yeah

dublin connolly station to dundalk clarke station, hopped a cab

pic related, me straddling to irish UK border at link related

tinyurl DOT com SLASH zuz3wrj
>>
Going on a similar trip as OP but will be landing in knock and renting a car.

Anyone have any experience of the wild Atlantic way? Thinking of driving mayo up to Donegal but not sure what sites there are to see along the way.
>>
>>1136836
You can make that drive in like 2 hours at most. It's not enough for a whole holiday.
I'd say drive down to Galway for a bit, then make your way up the coast. Donegal is okay but for a non-Irish tourist I'm not sure what the appeal would be, unless you hike or surf. There is the Gaeltacht where people natively speak Irish which you might find quaint.

And yeah renting a car is a good idea, it's certainly a nice drive. You can't get lost either.
>>
as someone from NI I wouldn't recommend coming unless you've got something specific in mind. Like unless you're interested in Irish history or nature/hiking then there's nothing worth seeing imo.

So basically you made the right choice
>>
Should try to drive the wild atlantic way or at least parts of it
>>
>>1136861
What historical sights are there to see. And is it appropriate to use the murals in Belfast for sightseeing?
>>
>>1137087
yes and derry
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.