[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
near-perfect cities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4
File: 1448474054873.jpg (145 KB, 1024x559) Image search: [Google]
1448474054873.jpg
145 KB, 1024x559
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to word this question

Basically, I'm wondering which large cities are liked by a high percentage of people who travel and live there. It seems like even top destinations (including but not limited to London, Paris, Tokyo, NYC, Hong Kong, Chicago, Toronto) have a long list of people who dislike them. If you mention you're travelling to one of those cities you will almost certainly find people who say "It's overrated" or "I didn't care for it". However, I rarely hear a bad word about Prague or Amsterdam.

I guess what I'm asking is: which city do you think is the most universally loved, and also, which city seems to always get a ton of unjustified flak?
>>
>>1134928
Chiang Mai, what's there to hate? other then too many digital noamds
>>
I rarely hear anything bad about Copenhagen and Stockholm. Same with Amsterdam as you mentioned.
>>
>>1134928
>and also, which city seems to always get a ton of unjustified flak?

I was really pleasantly surprised by my visit to Cleveland a few years back. I went there for a wedding and while I wouldn't make a point of visiting it just for tourism, if you're going there anyway for whatever reason checking out the city is really fun.
>>
>>1134928

This one isn't really on a lot of /trv/ lists but Melbourne, Australia is an absolutely amazing city to live in. It's got pretty great infrastructure, very clean water, good wages and job availability, it's won most livable city (globally) for 5 years running and has one of the highest human development index's globally.

That being said I think it would be pretty shit to visit here as it is very much a place to live.
>>
>>1134954
ive a buddy in columbus ive visited several times passing thru on other business over many years. the colds not my cup of tea but i cant say a bad word about the town itself, pleasantly surprised
>>
>>1134928
Amsterdam's actually pretty overrated imo, just too touristy.

Nowhere's perfect. I haven't met anyone who disliked Berlin though. Barca get love too.
>>
San Francisco
>>
>>1135134
All I hear about SF these days is that it's unlivable unless you're an executive at a computing firm. I'm sure it's nice to visit though.
>>
>>1134954
I have said virtually the same thing about Cleveland, which I also visited for a wedding some years back. I was pleasantly surprised; it seemed vibrant, with a living downtown and some interesting architecture, a decent waterfront, and some neighborhoods that seemed worth hanging out in.
>>
>>1135134
>>1135157
Not sure which category you're putting SF in--universally loved, or unjustified flak?
>it's unlivable unless you're an executive at a computing firm
It's definitely been getting harder to live in during the fifteen years I've been here--it's always been expensive, but rent (the most expensive in the country by most measures--it's cheaper to live in Manhattan) is perversely high these days. And the tech masses are certainly contributing to its increasing sterilization/homogenization--those programming 20somethings with their six figure salaries are pretty good consumers, but not often creative, bohemian, or frankly very interesting people. So they don't contribute much to the culture. And the weirdest, artsiest people, who add a lot to this town in my opinion, have been getting priced out for many years now.

I also feel like it gets quite a lot of negative attention from /trv/--lots of homeless people, among other things, make a pretty bad impression on many visitors.

All that said, I still love this place--there are few if any more physically attractive cities in the United States, we have great food in many cuisines, from Michelin-starred to obscure ethnic holes in the wall, it's never very hot or very cold, and there's always something to see or do.
>>
>>1134952
I agree that the Scandinavian cities rarely get bad reviews, at least here--I feel like 4chan must have nearly as many Nordicboos as it does weeaboos. Reykjavik also comes up positively nearly all of the time, although I guess most Icelandophiles prefer the countryside to the "city."

People are also almost always speaking positively of Tallinn--and the old quarter is indeed good-looking. But maybe that's just because it's not popular enough to attract people who don't already know they want to go there.

>To throw a wrench in the works--I'm ambivalent at best about Scandinavia! Too expensive and I don't really like the food! But even I have to admit that both Copenhagen and Stockholm are very pleasant cities in most respects.

People seem to really like Seoul, too, although maybe I just haven't noticed a lot of negative remarks. Not everyone likes megacities, surely.
>>
>>1135208
Oh, and
>I know Estonia is not Scandinavia
and
>Taipei also seems to have lots of lovers but no haters, although I've never understood it.
>>
>>1135134
I was going to say this too but I didn't bother because I knew I'd get shit for it, especially from people who focus too much on politics and population etc.

If you're like me an just want a modern city with that geography and climate it's perfect.
>>
>>1134951
>Chiang Mai
>Not Bangkok
fuck is so great about Chiang Mai?
>>
>>1135134
>>1135157
>>1135205
SF would be perfect with more housing and better transit system. It's a fun town with cool sights both in the city and surrounding it. People give off an anxious vibe sometimes though. And the Tenderloin and SoMa... holy shit.

>>1134952
Finns seem to love Tallinn, although I wonder if it's because of the relatively cheap alcohol. I saw so many people with cases of A. Le Coq beer on the ferry to Helsinki.

Personally, I really enjoyed my time in Tallinn. It's a cozy town. I also met a lot of interesting Estonians and Russians.

Seoul is awesome, but I'm biased as a Korean. Speaking the language definitely makes for a different experience.
>>
What do people think of Los Angeles?
>>
>>1135260
I like how it's not a city at all but a collection of small towns. The food is great. Seems like there's pretty much everything.

The traffic and lack of public transit are ridiculous though.
>>
I've heard nothing but sugar about Vienna, the main australian cities, Cape town, Copenhagen, Brno and Prague.
>>
I didn't like Amsterdam a lot. Sure, it's a cute town and it has a great art and design scene, but all the tourists and "LOL WEED" people really annoyed me.
>>
>>1135097
I am a Melburnian who nows lives abroad and can confirm that it's a great city to live in but shit for tourists. The public transport is terrible (for tourists) and a lot of the popular places are quite far apart. Top tier food and booze though (as long as you don't mind the hipsterness and expense)
>>
Perhaps Edinburgh? Other than the weather it is a great city to live in and for tourists alike.
>>
I absolutely fell in love with Tallinn. The people are nice, it has a nice mix of old and new, small enough to be walked around, nice prices, etc etc. Not to mention that Estonia is a fantastic country as well. I don't know how the natives feel about their city, but so far, every traveller I've talked to agrees Tallinn is a lovely place, barring one guy who "didn't really care for it".
>>
>>1135259

I had fun in Seoul as a non-Korean, plenty of people speak English and waygooks get extra attention if they're white and attractive.
>>
>>1135260
I'd say LA has at least as many haters as fans--the sprawl is crazy, and all the driving makes it feel more like a gigantic suburb than a city.

But I actually sort of love LA (something it's hard for me to admit as a San Franciscan--we are constitutionally required to hate Southern California). Great food, great weather, and many hundreds of cool things scattered throughout the barren suburban wasteland. Up and coming arts scene too, unlike SF where the artists are all baiIing. It's ugly, and it's not a real city, but it's a great collection of suburbs.
>>
>>1134928
I've never met anyone who disliked a Washington, DC tourist visit or residential life both. It has great public transport, free museums, great variety of international and well done food, all highly paid professional workers everywhere even on the trains and buses, clean streets, good evening live music scene, sunsets and sunrises to ogle at, concurrent festivals every week of the year, fit people everywhere biking or hiking trails or sailing the waters, it's all good especially with a car for suburban living. It's immensely close to natural areas too, from mountains to beaches within an hour. It doesn't have the bitchiness of workers that some large cities experience as well, friendly people wait on tables, pump the gas, ring up the pharmacy registers, EVERYWHERE.

Miami is well loved by most travelers and residents, but you'll hear crap from people who tried to visit without a car.
>>
>>1135363
>I've never met anyone who disliked a Washington, DC tourist visit or residential life both.
Some racist 4channers find it too black, but I'm with you that it offers a very high-value tourist experience.
>>
>>1135363
>Washington, DC

>murder capital of the US
>literally full of crime, niggers, and traffic
>horrible traffic holy shit
>shit climate on top of it

I wouldn't go there if you paid me. Just driving past it was awful every time I had to.

> people who tried to visit without a car.

So, most people? Fuck unwalkable/no public transit cities.
>>
"if someone loves there they hate it" /trv/ meme aside, dc IS a great tourist town but is not generally viewed as a great place to live by any measure

im not sure how saying so makes me a racist?
>>
>>1134928
Edinburgh, Bergen, Reykjavík and Seattle are my favorite cities. Those last 3 are pretty similar though I guess
>>
>>1135408
that's a pretty hipster-y list of favourite cities, anon.
>>
>>1135405
I don't think it's inherently racist to dislike a place, whether as a resident or a tourist. And I have friends who live in the District who wish they could live elsewhere, for sure. But when 'too many [ethnic slur for black people]' is on someone's list of reasons they dislike a city, the racist line has been crossed.
>>
>>1134928
Sankt Peterburg
>>
File: st-petersburg.jpg (527 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
st-petersburg.jpg
527 KB, 1024x768
>>1135422
forgot pic
>>
>>1135253
>Bangkok
>so smelly
>fucking people and cars and tuk tuk and chaos EVERYWHERE
>the climate

Anything you want in Bangkok you can get in Chaing Mai minus the claustrophobia of a fuckin masssive metropolis.

Chiang Mai has great internet and literally every other first wrld comfort you could want and its so cheap to live and do anything there. Lots of green and plantlife around other then the city scape concrete jungle of Bangkok. Also its cooler and less humid in northern Thailand.

Only thing you're missing is beaches.
>>
>>1135428
Agreed, at least as far as mass appeal is concerned--Chiang Mai offers a quintessential Thai experience, with everything people like about Thailand (ignoring for the moment that Lanna was not fully integrated into what is now known as Thailand until the early 20th century, when one of the last eligible princesses of the North was married off to King Vajiravudh, to nobody's satisfaction), with a better climate and air quality, much less traffic, and a smaller, more accessible scale.

Chiang Mai is most Thai people's favorite major Thai city, which I think is illustrative.

Lots of people dislike Bangkok, but almost nobody dislikes Chiang Mai.

>maybe sex tourists? But there are hookers in Chiang Mai too...
>>
>>1134928
How the fuck has nobody said Honolulu or Vancouver yet?
>>
>>1135432
Well, if you're looking for someone who disliked Chiang Mai, that's me. It was literally packed with hordes of tourists, more than in Pattaya or Khao San road, most hotels were full, I spent like two hours looking for a place to eat in the city center because everywhere was tourist-oriented and expensive. Basically the center of Chiang Mai consists of guesthouses and expensive restaurants, nothing else. There's almost no public transport because of retarded taxi/songthaew mafia. For a tourist there's nothing to see except a few temples that are the same as in any other Thai city, so it's one of the most overrrated cities I've ever seen.
Though I agree that if you want to stay long term outside of the center and have your own transport, Chiang Mai is one of the best options in Thailand.
>>
Lisboa, Porto, Berlin
>>
Prague
>>
>>1134951
I thought Chang Mai was extremely overrated and boring
>>
>>1134952
Stockholm was a beautiful city before it was invaded by refugees and assorted non white undesirables. Now it's like a bomb went off there. Roving gangs of dark skin thugs wander carefree, raping and robbing honest whites. Liars, beggars, psychos and perverts abound from the darkest reaches of earth. All as brainwashed liberals host "rapping contests" and "cultural days" in the town squares.

If you were there before and after the multicultural disease started, you wouldn't be crying for me to return to /pol/. Youd be in tears over a beautiful, pure, dying race.
>>
>>1135499

>b-bub-butb=--btu-but dats rayyyycisss

If I was going to Germany, I would go to experience Germany. If I were going to Thailand, it would be to experience Thailand. If I were going to Sweden, I would go to experience Sweden. Not Somalia. Not Pakistan. Not Niger. Sweden. What's the point of visiting a Swedish city that isn't Swedish?

Multiculturalism turns everything from different, vibrant colors of the different cultures into one mixed-pot brown-grey smear of muddy nothing. If every city were multicultural there would be no point in traveling, because every place would be the same. A vague mutt mix of a bit of everything. Instead of having a dish of tikki masala, a dish of shepherd's pie, a dish of blueberry stew, a dish of sashimi, and a dish of ratatouille, you mix it all together and you get a mess of shit.
>>
>>1135474
>Lisboa

No such place.
>>
>>1135538
>you get a mess of shit
sure you do, gramps
>>
>>1135438
Vancouver is known for being boring as fuck. Toronto too. Montreal is the fun Canadian city, but it's french so that's a lot of points off.
>>
San Diego is great.
>>
>>1135604
Nah, BS city. There's noting in San Diego you can't find in LA.
>>
>>1135379
No longer the murder capital,don't want to deal with crime,stay out of Anacosta,Southern cities have hot climate deal with it. Big city and bad traffic,duh.
>>
>>1135325
I can vouch for this in Seoul, Busan as well.
>>
>>1135647
(not that guy)
there's more stuff to find in LA, but that's an objective measure

there are subjective traits to san diego that some people find preferable, which are probably why you call it a BS city

what does that even fucking mean?
>>
>>1134928
>prague
>amsterdam
>hookers and booze/drugs
riddle solved, einstein
>>
File: sponge.gif (464 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
sponge.gif
464 KB, 500x338
>>1135721
>DC
>"""southern"""
0/10 bait
>>
>>1135647

Right, but LA has too many flaws. San Diego is perfect to me. You can't beat running down silver strand.
>>
>>1135750
he's correctly geographically albeit not culturally

that place is pretty fucking brutal in the summer, then you get mildly fucked in the winter

>and I lived in south florida, inb4 you tell me i cant take the heat
>>
>>1135738
Did you go to any clubs in Busan? I haven't found any good ones.
>>
>>1135751
Is San Diego a good place to live if I'm a fat white man with an Asian wife?
>>
>>1136082

Depends, is she a Filipina?
>>
>>1136082
Where ISN'T a good place to live in this scenario?
>>
>>1134928
Any post about any city will be met by somebody ho lives there and doesn't like it. You can safely disregard those posts.
>>
>>1136266
>You can safely disregard those posts
not really, satan dubs, you fucking memester

i was the guy who posted about DC

there are people who irrationally freak out against their own city -- who you can disregard -- but there are also people who try to deliver level headed reports that aren't wearing rose colored lenses (a la tourists) about their hometowns, too
>>
>>1135363
I preferred LA & San Diego to SF or Miami.

In Europe, I thought:
Rotterdam was better than Amsterdam
Edinburgh best UK city
Berlin better than London or Paris (although Paris is beautiful).
>>
Wellington in New Zealand is a really lovely city. It has the importance of a capital city with the laid back vibe of small town. Also the coffee is really good.

Leipzig is also a very very good city. It's what Berlin aspires to be, with tons of young people nd probably the cheapest rent in Germany next to some shithole like chemnitz.
>>
>>1136282
>When I do it, it's level headed reporting about my home town.
>When he does it, it's irrationally freaking out

Any post that goes along the lines of, "I live here, it's horrible and boring, go anyplace else instead." Without going up to look at your prior post, if you didn't post that, you were not one of those guys I was talking about.
>>
File: We'll_see_honey._We'll_see..jpg (24 KB, 294x208) Image search: [Google]
We'll_see_honey._We'll_see..jpg
24 KB, 294x208
>>1136496
>Without going up to look at your prior post, if you didn't post that, you were not one of those guys I was talking about.
you made a blanket statement

then made your greentext sans reading what i said, ergo implying i said a double standard without evidence

anyway -- i can admit irrationally freaking out about where i live now (no longer DC, thank christ, that place was too rich for my blod and all other body parts) but i try to be aware of that bias

i can also admit my irrationally pro boston (and most of new england) bias, because, holy shit, the pendulum swings both ways even tho /trv/ only lets the mem say one thing -- what's more i never lived in NYC but fucking despise that place, pic related ... yet another non meme effect that /trv/ totally ignores
>>
>>1136580
I've never met a group of people with such an enormous little brother syndrome as Bostonians have towards NYC.
>>
>>1136082
its the most likely place for you desu
>>
>>1134928
Boston is a great city.
>>
>>1135603
>implying some of us don't prefer "boring" cities
>>
>>1136593
me again

yeah i fucking HATE living that meme, and i keep trying to enjoy going there

its not a beef on the people or anything like that, its just every time i go its a massively unpleasant experience

i have the meme accent too, fortunately not to the point that it sounds like im putting it ohhhhhn
>>
>>1135480
Boring how so?
>>
>>1134928
Berlin 100%

There's literally two distinct halves of the city for two distinct types of travelers/residents
>>
>>1136610
too hot, not enough whores
>>
>>1136610
It just felt like a low energy suburban town that shut down at night. I did take some cool day trips outside the city to the mountain villages/ rafting trip
>>
>>1134928
However, I rarely hear a bad word about Prague...

It's overrated

I'm prepared to give it a second chance though
>>
>>1135572
not an argument
>>
>>1136894
neither was your evidence free assertion from an age controlled neighborhood
>>
Cities I really liked:
Hanoi - Vietnam. Laidback, cozy, cheap, not as hot as in the south. Hoi An is beautiful as well but wouldn't want to live there.
Pokhara - Nepal, bit hippyish, laidback aswell, nature.
Rotterdam, Netherlands. Live here. Kinda like it. Enough bike lanes, multicultural, some modern buildings, people's attitude (don't talk, just work). Amsterdam is shit, too many tourists. If they would go away, it would be a nice city (except for the people living there).
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.