[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travelling to Istanbul
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 400x302
A good idea still? Due to arrive in a about 10 days time but reconsidering after these latest events...
>>
Rip OP
Don't worry you won't be missed
>>
>>1133039
Just avoid cliche tourist locations, oh and don't go through the airport.
>>
I'm of the opinion that everytime something like this happens, security is greatly improved for the following weeks or months. I think you'll be safe.
>>
>>1133070
Maybe I misremember this but when that Air Malaysia flight got shot down over the Ukraine I remember people saying the same thing, only for another plane to disappear sometime later
>>
File: 50a.jpg (201 KB, 470x595) Image search: [Google]
50a.jpg
201 KB, 470x595
>every day I'm warning people not to go to Turkey
>multiple people, including me, get banned
>this happens
>mfw

Turkey has a lot of enemies. External and Internal.
Government enforces censorship every 6 months.

Avoid.
>>
>>1133078
No, it was the Air Malaysia plane that dissapeared in the Indian Ocean, then everyone bought cheap tickets and like a month later another one got shot down in Ukraine
>>
>>1133039
Honestly, this is better for you. Our government and people are forgetful, so they laxed, forgetting the bombing some months ago. But now that another one happened, security will be taken seriously again, at least for a month or two.
On the other hand, how can you travel in this heat? I can't travel anywhere because all the places I want to go are above 30C~ except Scotland, and I can't go there because I can't wait for visa.
>>
>>1133119

I'm from Australia and it's Winter back home. Also, 30 degrees isn't that hot compared to our summer.
>>
>>1133119

I live in Michigan and it's warmer here than in Istanbul. We've had a wonderful summer.

Anyway, OP - I'd suggest going. The chances of you being in just the wrong place at exactly the right time are minimal. Be vigilant, keep your eyes open, and try not to linger too long in the middle of a crowded plaza or street (think Istiklal Caddesi).

I've been to Turkey half a dozen times before and since the Gezi Park protests. I crossed the border into Iraq and rode along the length of the Syrian border. Given, this was just as ISIS was starting to gain power, but I was fine. I'd be more careful than I was and you're going to be okay.
>>
>>1133175
but where you are travelling, it is summer and very hot.
I hate mediterrean weather to be honest.
>>1133180
>Be vigilant, keep your eyes open, and try not to linger too long in the middle of a crowded plaza or street
This. ISIS targets specific groups: Leftists (anti-islamist leftists of Turkey that is) and certain foreigners. Keep away from political rallies and embassies. PKK/TAK don't seem to target any specific group (in accordance with their goal), so you can't take caution against them, but keeping away from police stations/military buildings/other major state buildings seem like a good idea. But of course, as I said before, now that another bomb exploded, security would be maximized so I doubt you'd have to worry too much, at least for a few months.
>>
>>1133070
The problem with maximized security is that it usually leads to long delays and huge lines and inconvenience.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.