[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is visiting California without a car worth it? what will i be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: download (2).jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
8 KB, 300x168
Is visiting California without a car worth it? what will i be missing out on if i do this
>>
death
>>
>>1131751
they dont have buses or trains?
>>
>>1131770
You trying to get around a city, or get around the state? Getting around the state sans car is, to my mind more trouble than it is worth, Within most cities, you're fine.
>>
>>1131750
please post download (1).jpg and dowload.jpg
>>
File: download (1).jpg (66 KB, 509x499) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
66 KB, 509x499
>>1131789
>>
>>1131788
Except for LA.
>>
>>1131835
I heard that was a meme. La isnt as bad as atlanta or houston
>>
>>1131750
>what will i be missing out on if i do this
The nature. If you're going for the people and a major urban area, then you're cool. If you're going for nature (that isn't attached to a city area), then you're totally fucked unless you hitch a ride with someone going there.
>>
>>1131847
This is the correct answer.

If you want to visit San Diego, LA, and the Bay Area you can definitely do that on public transit and be happy. If you want to go hiking or see the really pretty beaches and stuff you'll have to go with a tour group or something.
>>
>>1131750
Agreeing with what the other anons are saying.

If you visit without a car, you are really handicapping yourself. You get around fine in San Fran if you like being yelled at by homeless people and talked down to by hipster richkids but getting between cities is going to be a bit of a headache if it's anything like the rest of the US. Public transport in the US will introduce you to some, ahem, interesting characters. It's fine in daylight as long as you keep your wits about you but I would discourage you from using it at night (unless, I guess, you get your own cabin on an overnight Amtrak or something like that).

The best thing in California to me is South Lake Tahoe, on the border with Nevada. Fantastic nature, great for hiking, brilliant lake and they even some gambling in the Nevada side although I personally don't really care about that side of it.
>>
>>1131837
Its not, trust me.
>>
Stick to the trains in Los Angeles, the buses you might see a guy take a dump on the seat if you don't pick the right areas.
You are difficulty going to be limited. If you want to go somewhere off rail, use uber, not a taxi. Taxis suck in CA. los Angeles: don't take the green line or the south blue line after dark. Day light hours don't eyeball the ghetto looking dudes, I'm not kidding.
This is right:
>>1131847
You will see Los Angeles, San degio and San Fran without a car. San degio will be the best for a tourist. Also the buses are fine in San Diego.
>>
I just got back from SF with no car, easy as shot (albeit expensive compared to Boston, where I'm from)
Research transit systems first. SF was pretty easy.
>>
>>1131750
no
everything
>>
San Diegan here. Grew up in Chicago, which has got an amazing public transit system. And I've used London's Tube and bus system, which gets you everywhere you need to go. I know the difference between shitty and good public transit.
I don't where all these people are getting their sources, but you definitely need a car to get around California. The only major city that has a decent public transit system is San Francisco.
You will miss out on a lot of great experiences, views, and businesses if you try to use rails and busses in Southern California. The state literally made a decision in the 1950's to invest in roads rather than rail, because gasoline was so cheap and was never expected to get expensive.
Not only will you waste a lot of time waiting for busses/trolleys, most times the drop off locations are far from anything useful for sight seeing. Pretty much they are good for suburbanites to get to work or the mall downtown. Or to Mexico.
Suck it up and rent a car. Maybe ditch it when you get to SF.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.