[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hitchhiking to Southeast Asia trough Eastern Europe, Central
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot 2016-06-21 18-53-51.jpg (489 KB, 1261x628) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-06-21 18-53-51.jpg
489 KB, 1261x628
My hitchhiking to Bali from Central/Eastern Europe thread is back. The route is:
Warsaw - Kiev - Astana - Almaty - (Kyrgyzstan if available border crossings with China with my passport, want to see it because of the landscapes) - Urumqi - Xi'an - Beijing - Shanghai - Guangzhou - (Hong Kong or Macau, but probably HK, and back to China) - Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh - Phnom Penh - Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur - (ferries trough Sumatra) - Jakarta - Bali

I will not only hitchhike, but also use buses and trains when reaching those cheaper regions (probably Kazakhstan, because supposedly train ticket from Astana to Almaty is less than 10 bucks). I prefer trains to hitchhiking, just because of the comfort and getting to Kazakhstan from Warsaw is still much.

My journey will not only be about driving to the destination, mainly about seeing the landscapes of all those countries, I want the budget to be less than 2,5 euro a day.

I am going to travel in summer and autumn (I know that it will boil my blood, but I somehow enjoy 40°C weather. It's still better than Kazakh winter. I also won't have time in other parts of the year).

I'm aware of pretty unstable situation in Xinjiang, Malay-Thai boundaries and I will skip dangerous regions in Ukraine.

From the last route I have kicked off Singapore, because there are no comfortable ferries from Batam.

If possible, I would like to hitchhike a yacht to Australia, because I have never done that before, but I don't count on that. (don't beat me for that map, I drew it according to where I remembered those cities were)
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-06-21 18-53-00.jpg (236 KB, 1435x679) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-06-21 18-53-00.jpg
236 KB, 1435x679
also enjoy a pic rel
>>
>>1130551
Wow. Sounds brave and intrepid. But is it manageable?
>>
>>1130551
>I want the budget to be less than 2,5 euro a day.
That's crazy. You will starve. Eastern Europe and Central Asia are cheap, but not that cheap.
>>
>>1130626
Living in Eastern Europe I can honestly say that it's absolutely feasible. Prices here:
1 kg of potatos - 0.4 euro (you can roast them in hot dust after campfire and season it with salt and pepper, yum)
1 pack of ham or cheese in the same size, already sliced - 1 euro, probably will last me for like 1-2 days
1 tomato - 0.2 euro
bread - 0,5 euro
1 roll - 0,07 euro
1,5 l of bottled water - 0,2 euro
tea and coffee is cheap af
apples are also pretty cheap
emergency food is rice flakes soaked up with hot water with salt added, awful and with no taste, but at least you won't starve

you can survive if you don't eat luxuries such as bacon and stuff like that (pretty expensive there). I will also take some dried beef and nuts

Prices in Russia are approximately the same and way cheaper in Ukraine and Kazakhstan.

>>1130570
Manageable if you're resistant enough and pretty comfortable with that all formal stuff with visas, ugh. Fortunately, visa freedom will be established in Kazakhstan for me and I will only have to get Russian and Chinese visas. I am that type of person who is comfortable with all those hard conditions, sleeping in a small 1 person tent and having only fork, knife, small pot and a small gas cooker as your facilities.
>>
>>1130626
That's about what I live on when I'm bumming around Europe. I'll splurge on the occasional kebab, of course. you can live quite comfortably if you don't mind camping.
>>
>>1130656
Best of luck mate!! I hitched a lot in NZ and that heaps of fun, had loads of crazy times.
>>
>>1130656
Respect. Sure will be manageable. I met people who hitchhiked from Europe to SEA too, but I think all of them did the middle eastern route. Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India-Myanmar-etc. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>1131217
I wanted to do so, but I have read that it is impossible to cross from India/Bangladesh to Myanmar. You intrigued me, I will check that possibility!
Still, I would rather want to visit China for the first time.
>>
>>1130551
I'm stressed just thinking about all the money you have to pay for visas
>>
>>1131378
Altogether I will need to pay around 150 euro
>>
The train from Astana to Almaty is definitely not that cheap. Hell, the bus itself was 25 bucks.

Coincidentally, Kazakhstan is great country to hitch in due to the mass distances between cities and the hospitable nature of kazakhs to tourists. I've caught rides that have taken me over 1,000 km in Kazkhstan. Gl op, sounds like one hell of a trip :)
>>
>>1130551
i still would go to papua new guinea
>>
>>1130551
I have a very similar trip planned out in my head for months now starting from austria. I still feel that i need to have some more money saved before departing though. How much budget have you planned to spent all in all? Do you plan to stay in hostels when you are in a city, or will you always camp in the outskirts somewhere?
>>
File: rough.png (432 KB, 1127x539) Image search: [Google]
rough.png
432 KB, 1127x539
im planning something roughly like pic related for 2018 - ending in moscow to see the final of the world cup (and possibly going through russia in a route that would allow me to see another game or two on the way)

i know very little so far but my plan is to fly in to ulaanbaatar and buy a horse for trekking across mongolia and then either selling or gifting the horse before leaving mongolia, or using it to get across kazachstan - depending on the border security or regulations

does hitchhiking really work in sparse places like kazachstan? thanks for any advice you want to give me op or others :) im very new to all this
>>
>>1132252
you've ridden horses before?
>>
>>1132252
>does hitchhiking really work in sparce places like kazachstan?

Not if you're too stoopid to read three posts above yours.
>>
>>1132179
I'm planning to have around 600-700euro budget excluding visas and I will stay in hostels in asia, when they are cheap. That's a tight budget so hitchhikin will be the most frequently used means of transport. What's more, i will have some extra emergency money on my account in case of robbery or something.

>>1132149
I don't know what I will do after getting to Bali, but if possible I would go to Australia.
>>
>>1131478
Not sure if you can rely on that, some of these countries are corrupt as fuck
>>
>>1132751
I know, I have more than that as "emergency money"
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.