[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Southern USA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Us_south_census.png (16 KB, 566x365) Image search: [Google]
Us_south_census.png
16 KB, 566x365
Hello /trv/,

I am doing a road-trip through the southern USA from 27 August to 13 September, starting in Houston and ending in Miami.

My itinerary is something like: Houston->Lafayette->Baton Rouge->New Orleans->Memphis->Nashville->Atlanta->Charleston->Daytona->Orlando->Miami.

It includes a fair bit of driving, as you can see, but that is what me and my friends are looking for. To get a real feel for the culture/food of the southern US.

Do you guys have any recommendation around this area? Maybe some hidden gem along the road that might be easy to miss but worthy of a detour? My plans are still pretty flexible at this stage.
>>
>>1130433
I've lived in the southeast most of my life, so maybe I can help a little. First off, if you've looking for good food, you're in luck; the southeast has the best food of anywhere in the country. Especially BBQ. Try BBQ in every state if you can; they all have different styles. Particularly, there's a BBQ place in Macon, GA called Fresh Air BBQ that's one of my favorite places. Also, in a town called Forsyth, GA (about 45 minutes south of Atlanta on I-75), there's a restaurant called the Grits Cafe, which is a "southern casual fine dining" restaurant. Some of the best food I've ever eaten came from there (I worked there for a few years). Go if you're in the area, and get the lamb chops or seared tuna if they have them.

You might catch the leaves turning in the mountains at that time, which would be cool. The drive through TN is fun and very pretty. The GA aquarium is a nice place to visit. I've found that AR, MS, AL, and OK are pretty boring. If you're into the bar scene, Athens, GA has the craziest one I've ever seen because of UGA being there. If you're looking for beaches, Destin FL is great. Lots of good forests and hiking in the southeast, too, but I don't have any specifically to recommend.

Have fun!
>>
>>1130433
You won't find much to do in Baton Rouge, don't stay very long and just keep driving through to New Orleans. If you insist on seeing something, spend an afternoon downtown but no longer.

t. Lived here all my life
>>
On your way down from Nashville I'd recommend checking out Asheville, NC. Neat little town in the mountains full of hippies. Good bars though.

Also I'd almost suggest going to Savannah, GA over Charleston but I suppose that depends on what you want to do. Savannah has open container laws downtown making it a great city to drink in, with historic bars right along the river front. Many a good night there eating good seafood and throwing back Jameson in bars as old as our country.
>>
>>1130433
skip atlanta and go see asheville
>>
>>1130508
+1.
Mountains there are beautiful, too
>>
I would stop and check out Savannah, GA. Its a cool city and its right off 95.
>>
>>1130433
A road trip through the South, out of all the parts of the US?

A road trip in late August, out of all the times of year you could go?
>>
>>1130565
Thats literally the best time to go. its warm but not as hot as the middle of july
>>
I can give you personal input on Memphis. You're safe in the gentrified parts but obvious discretion is advised when travelling through the areas that are closer to the hoods, you might want to carry a fake wallet, would also be good in cities like Nashville and so forth. Definitely try the barbecue, best stuff can be easily found online and the listings don't seem to lie, what visitors like we also like. If you want someone to hit up in Memphis I'll probably be available.
>>
OP here,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am definitely checking these out in more detail.

>>1130565
The southern culture of the US has always intrigued me. Plus I'm going with friends who have already seen most tourist hotspots (NYC, Grand Canyon, Vegas, West Coast). I'll be checking those on another opportunity.

Which states do you think would be best for a road trip?

As for being in August, it's when me and my friends all have vacations. I'm already used to the heat anyway, so that shouldn't be a big deal (t. expat working in Africa).
>>
>>1130660
I went to Houston last August and it was 105 with high humidity
>>
>>1130842
sheeiit yeah well thats houston. in Tennesee and the carolinas the weather will be perfect
>>
>>1130842
AKA Devil's Asshole,TX.
>>
Lafayette here. Great eats and people if you got the time. Skip Baton Rouge.
>>
>>1130857
>>1130861
>implyying half the state wasnt hot as fuck

Stop pretending texfags, your summer weather is miserable
>>
>>1130857
lmao what are you smoking? No it won't, those places in the South and are therefore hot as fuck during the summer. Hell, even parts the Midwest and Northeast are often too hot during the height of Summer, and this is coming from a Southerner.
>>
Don't go to Baton Rouge. Trust us. Unless it's on gameday.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.