[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to Manchester, UK for 4 weeks in July/August.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: Romanian_mode_of_traveling.jpg (86 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Romanian_mode_of_traveling.jpg
86 KB, 800x533
I'm going to Manchester, UK for 4 weeks in July/August. It will be a "study holiday" because I will be attending an advanced English course, but I have the afternoon and evening free. What are some things to do/see in this city, or nearby? I enjoy sightseeing, museums, eating local food...
Any input would be appreciated.
>>
I don't know Manchester very well but perhaps if you let us know your budget that might be a good start.

Where are you from?

One thing I can say is that "local food" is largely meaningless in the UK. One thing I love is how we have so much variety in different restaurants. Of course, you should go somewhere and have a Full English Breakfast (most places do them all day so it's not an issue if you aren't able to in the morning).

A tour of Old Trafford might be interesting since they're one of the biggest football teams in the world and has a pretty great history. I've been on it and although I'm a Manchester United fan (and as such, biased) it is hugely culturally significant to Manchester.
>>
>>1130089
I am Italian, I've been to England before (London) as a tourist, but never for so long and never on my own. I don'have a set budget yet, I was thinking around 1000 euro, since I already paid for flights and lodgings all I need is a public transport card and living expenses.
Will definitely go see Old Trafford, which is the only thing I know about Manchester.
>>
File: 1366x725_Roaches.jpg (356 KB, 1366x725) Image search: [Google]
1366x725_Roaches.jpg
356 KB, 1366x725
>>1130099
OK, I hope you enjoy it. Hopefully you'll get some locals respond here. If not, I know people shit on Reddit a lot on 4chan but this subreddit might be useful to you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manchester/

https://www.reddit.com/r/manchester/wiki/index

I highly, highly recommend you venture outside Manchester and visit the Peak District though. Getting out of the huge city and visiting somewhere like this will do your body and mind a lot of good.
>>
I've been a student in Manchester for 4 years;

If you're a football fan there's obviously tours at both stadiums and a football museum

There's plenty of other free museums and art gallery's around, just give it a quick google

As for areas in Manchester;
Northern Quarter is the local quirky 'Hipster' place with lots of nice places for food/drink & live music.

Spinningfields is a well developed area filled with more up market places

Castle fields is a nice place for a walk along the canals and a pint in a beer garden, quite a rural feeling considering you're pretty much slap bang in the middle of the city

Hope this helps
>>
File: 1388526651767.jpg (73 KB, 1024x937) Image search: [Google]
1388526651767.jpg
73 KB, 1024x937
>>1130089
>I don't know Manchester very well
>I'm a Manchester United fan
>>
>>1131991
Surprised it took that long. I have other connections to the place, but I did post it as very mild "bait".
>>
avoid the museum of science and industry.

the northern quarter is cool.
>>
>>1130037
Go watch football, enjoy the local music scene...
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.