[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going in Slovenia this summer in Ljubljana for 7/10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I'm going in Slovenia this summer in Ljubljana for 7/10 days, do you have any specific advice?
I saw on internet some recommendations about the town of Bled for its landscape, it is a beautiful city?
Should I book a day or two to go to the coast?
thank you.
>>
Slovenia is quite a small country so getting to around is very quick. If you can, rent a car for a few days and with it you can easily visit Bled and/or coastal towns. If you go to Bled, make sure you also visit lake Bohinj. Bled is nice, but there's really nothing that special about it other than the lake and the castle. You can also visit Koper which is a coastal town. From there you can easily visit Trieste in Italy or Croatia, since they're both very near.

Enjoy your time there, Slovenia is amazing.
>>
must see:
Goriška brda
>best wine in this part of eu
>also bridge with the largest stone arch in the way there, Solkan
Piran
>small and old coastal city, Koper is crap
Ljubljana
>metelkova street, unique underground scene
Bled/Bohinj
>both cites are shitty but nature is awesome also google blejski vintgar
Kras
>Postonjska jama; very noise cave
>Škocjanske jame; smaller very noise caves

if you wanna know more, you have to tell me what do you want to see/do/experience
>>
I went to Ljubljana and Bled at around about this time last year. Ljubljana is very nice but there's not actually that much to do there - it's a great place to chill out for a little bit, but not too exciting (unless I missed out on something). From what I can remember, Metelkova is interesting and worth a visit, and the walking tour is good for learning about some of the history of Slovenia (and Yugoslavia). Other than that there's not too much to recommend.

Bled is very nice, but quite touristy. I didn't visit it myself, but I heard from others that Bohinj is like Bled but bigger and quieter, so that might be worth checking out. In either place, the best activities are your typical sort of outdoor pursuits - hiking, cycling, rowing, that sort of things. Definitely visit the church on the island in Bled, it's a pretty unique place. Also, Vintgar Gorge near Bled is definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>1127081
Not that much too do. A summer trip for a few days and a longer ski trip in the winter would be better.

Tips

-don't go to Koper. The city has one perspective in which it is pretty and that is what it is advertised. 90% of the city has an ugly port look.
-Bled
-Maribor is nice for a walk, but isn't that much different from Ljubljana.
-Out of the northern parts of Croatia you might travel to, Zagreb is a solid 1-day trips worth. Rijeka is a port town, Gorski Kotar is mountains and lamb restaurants, Istria has some nice towns like Pula,Rovinj and Porec. Will probably have more Slovenians there in the Summer than in Ljubljana.
-haven't been to Trieste myself
>>
>>1127305
agree with all of this (though don't know anything about Goriška brda).

Piran is delightful, Bled lake is too, I hear Bohinj even more so (and rather wilder).

Ljubljana is relaxing and pretty but very quiet.

The other town I'd single out as worth visiting, to the north-west, is Ptuj.
>>
I read the Vintgar Gorge "close" during winter?
Did anyone went even though it was closed?
>>
>>1127081
I'm Slovene. Do you have any particular interests - maybe I can give you a direction or two.
>>
alright, I'm >>1130247

first of all OP, Bled is actually a nice town with a population of around 6.000. It's great for a day, but not more. It's a popular tourist attraction with lots of chinks, and it's quite popular with the locals because it has a few bars and discos. Were there in my high school years, so you can expect grills around that age. There's also a ferry called Pletna to the island and I think it costs 14€ for both ways, with a certain time you can spend on the island (I'm not certain, but it might be 30min or 1h, not exactly sure). Among the locals it's considered a ripoff and there have been some protests for exactly this reason a few weeks ago since who pays 14€ for a fucking 5 min ride to the island? But as a tourist, who is probably only once in Slovenia, it's probably not such a nuissance. You could also rent a boat, it costs less and you're not bound by time and path. Blejski vintgar gorge is also cool to see.

Regarding the coast, I'm not so sure how long your visit should be. I've been to Piran and it's a lovely city, lots of night life and great Mediterranean landscape, but I'm not really fond of it myself. If you're interested, I can dig up some info on what exactly is where.

As >>1127260 said, the country is quite small, however transportation is not so quick, at least the public one. If you rent a car, you can be at lake Bled in less than an hour, exactly 40 min from center of Ljubljana. By bus, it takes 1h 20 min, since you go through all the minor villages et cetera, because it has to cater for all the commuters and such. You could also go by train, but I don't recommend it, since there is no direct line, so you would have to go from Ljubljana to Jesenice and from there to Bled and the train station is quite some distance from the centre (around 30 min of walking).

1/2
>>
regarding >>1127305 I agree Goriška (Gorishka) Brda is a must. Haven't been myself, but I've heard nothing but praise - a lovely landscape with superb wine and locals. In Ljubljana, avoid Metelkova street, since it mostly left alternative scene with recent highlights to the refugee crisis and drug addicts. You should check the castle on the hill, but other than that I can't really recommend anything else. I've been stopped by some tourist couple and I literally stumbled around since I couldn't remember anything of importance to be honest.

I've talked about Bled, but if you take the bus further from Bled, you get to Bohinjska Bistrica, which is the centre of Bohinj (around 1h 50min from LJ by bus). Another extra 10min and you're at lake Bohinj, biggest stationary lake in Bohinj. Scenery is excellent, you can check waterfall Savica or gorge Mostnice, but as a local I must also insist it's a ripoff, since you have to pay around 2€ as a tourist from June to October. Bohinj is also a great starting point to take a hike to the mountains if you're into this sort of thing and you can book a parachute jump from some of the vantages points, or go kayaking on Sava river. Bohinj isn't really great for clubbing or that sort of thing.

2/2
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.