[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time on this board. I am planning a road trip from Texas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7
File: travel much.png (323 KB, 689x505) Image search: [Google]
travel much.png
323 KB, 689x505
First time on this board. I am planning a road trip from Texas to Montana and back. My priorities are Zion, Yellowstone, and Glacier.

The side destinations that i am planning are
TX
>Perdernales Falls
>Colorado Bend
>Caprock
NM
>Carson forest or Santa Fe forest
Utah
>Glen Canyon
>Arches?

I will be jumping from park to park and intend to camp for 90% of the nights (I will consider hostel if i find myself in a good town). I will probably travel back down through Yosemite and then across to Colorado.

I intend to spend 2 months on the road and i think i would like to take a kayak and mountain bike with me.

Are there any activities in this area that you would consider a must see in any of these states. (Note, I WILL skip Grand Canyon)

Also, I will be by myself for the entirety of this trip, does anybody have any experiences/recommendations for how to survive a 2 month backpack/road trip on your lonesome? (both physically and mentally)
>>
>priority is zion
>route goes nowhere near zion

about par for the course
>>
>>1125984
>literally skipping all of Colorado
Dude you gotta see at least the Front Range, Rocky Mountain National Forest, Cave of the Winds, Garden of the Gods, Mesa Verde (but not if you have a fear of heights), etc.. Colorado is absolutely based, and you should definitely hit it on your return trip
>>
>>1125984
Spend a a few days in Canyonlands, there are a lot of nice hikes in the needles.
>>
File: IMG_4301.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4301.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1728
>>1125984
we slept in our car, saved the camping fee and hostel because we just sleeps in parking lots of walmart/ rest area in NP. But you should get an inflate bed at the back seat to do so

and when you see the views in NP, you will forget everything. Still, get yourself musics for the drive

we started from Dallas with my partner, only stayed one night at most places. so we pretty much did what you want in 2 weeks

kalispel is a good place to stay at motel, with cheap price and decent room

>canyonland, bryce canyon
look at this, how can you not

just ask if you need any advice
>>
>>1126081
Do not miss Bryce, Op
>>
File: 1465098835498.jpg (4 KB, 214x194) Image search: [Google]
1465098835498.jpg
4 KB, 214x194
>Road tripping through the Western US to see the national parks
>Skips Olympic
>>
File: 1394075389731.jpg (22 KB, 447x504) Image search: [Google]
1394075389731.jpg
22 KB, 447x504
OP here.
Should have put disclaimer that I have no idea what I am doing. Even the priorities that i stated are only based off of what people have told me... this is why I made this thread.

>>1126051
This all looks good. I might have to squeeze a little more time into Colorado than i thought.

>>1126076
I was on the fence about this one, its all depending on the timing. I might have to trade of arches for canyonlands. do you have a preference over the 2?

>>1126279
A bit out of the way but it does look pretty fantastic.

Does anyone have experience trekking through parks solo? how did it go? was it boring? what did you do on your down time (if any)?
>>
File: 20160515_183226.jpg (379 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515_183226.jpg
379 KB, 1440x1080
>>1126375
Curious what your budget is and how you plan to travel? If you're trying to hitch hike through this route I don't think it will be a very enjoyable trip as parks can be strict with hitch hiking and it is far more enjoyable if you have your own transportation.

I went on a solo 2 day drive around the olympic peninsula and it was pretty god damn awesome. It's really far out of your route though. Would be better suited as part of a coastal adventure.

How long do you plan to spend on this road trip? Would you also consider getting a ride share through craigslist to help with gas and camping costs? It would be best to meet before hand so you two(or more) can get to know each other before you commit to such a long road trip. I'll be following this thread as id like to do a similar road trip minus texas.
>>
>>1126379
I have the luxury/stupidity to not be budgeting this trip. If I feel that something is needed, it will be paid for. I am anticipating a conservative maximum total for this trip to be 5k USD though probably much less (I am pretty much buying all new backpacking supplies on this trip)

I intend to take 6 to 8 weeks on the road with my own car (and probably a kayak and bicycle).

I'm not completely turned off by the idea of ride sharing, but I would rather not be tied down to anyone or any particular itinerary. do you take many trips that are spent entirely with randos?

And ya, Texas seems to be a place that is of no real value to anyone except the people that live in it. Though some people do like to go ape shit over the hill country/Austin area.
>>
File: 20160515_134828.jpg (291 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160515_134828.jpg
291 KB, 1440x1080
>>1126385
Ride shares have provided me with some pretty interesting adventures and stories that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Travelling alone can get pretty damn lonely, and it can be so much more fulfilling to have someone share experiences with you. I do find it far easier to travel alone as you're on your own schedule and you don't have to pander to others needs. So it depends on where you stand on the social spectrum. Making new friends on the road is quite special, while I was down in the olympic peninsula i made a few new friends that I hope will remain friends in the future, especially since we shared those adventures and memories together. Road trips are somethin special anon, I love them.
>>
>>1126178

Listen to this Anon.
>>
>>1125984
>Note, I WILL skip Grand Canyon
If you haven't been there, don't. If you're worried about crowds, go to the north rim. That route will also take you around Vermillion Cliffs National Monument.

>>1126375
>I might have to trade of arches for canyonlands. do you have a preference over the 2?

I suggest making time for both of them and every other national park in Utah. Dinosaur National Monument is in the north end of the state and is a little less famous and parts are quite remote, but it's excellent as well. There is also a lot to do in the San Rafael Swell.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.