[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Athens, Greece recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
I'll be going for a week to Athens, but no idea what there is to do.

Anyone have some stories/recommendations for this city?

I like food, drinks and going out. Also ancient Greek culture
>>
>>1123353
bump
>>
>>1123353
Visit the Acropolis and the old city. I'd also recommend the Acropolis museum and the archaeological museum, both full of amazing artefacts.

A week is far too long in Athens though. Beyond the ancient sites there's almost nothing to recommend about it. It's a filthy, ugly city. If you can, go get a bus and go see Mycenae, Epidavros and Delphi, and also Nafplio.
>>
>>1123500
well, the plan is to go have good food, go out until late and get up at 11. I'll also be checking some football matches for the Eurocup.

> Mycenae, Epidavros and Delphi, and also Nafplio.

thks, all seem quite far though. Aren't there any ancient sites within 1h bus/train?
>>
>>1123501
Sounion is quite close
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sounion

I'd still recommend a day trip at least to Delphi, even if it's a very long journey.

Like all of Greece you won't have any trouble finding good food, and the Athens nightlife is decent, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>>
Bump for interest. I'm leaving in a week to go to Greece and will be spending some time in Athens. I plan on going to Mykonos and some islands, and visiting extended family in the countryside too.

I'm questioning how safe it is right now also. Just got in an argument with my girl about the trip cause she's concerned about the U.S. travel alert, refugees, Ramadan and all that. From my research I don't think there's any precedence for heightened concern outside of being aware, but I'd like to hear what other think as well.

Worth pointing out I don't have much experience traveling abroad
>>
>>1123503
>Ramadan

What does that have to do with Greece?
>>
>>1123353

M8, one week is far too long for Athens. Outside of the few big historical sites and museum, it's a shit hole. One of the very few cities I have no desire to go back to. Massive let down.
>>
>>1123575
>What does that have to do with Greece?

In 2016? Probably a lot.
Deport the scum.
>>
>>1123678
I kind of agree here, although, the three days I spent there were really good. Really try to get out of Athens after a few days if you can. I thought that Meteora (For instance) is one of the coolest places I've ever seen. Besides the James Bond hideouts in the monasteries in the cliffs, there is a cave there that was inhabited 200,000 years ago.
>>
Stay in Plaka district under the Acropolis. Best time of my life in Athens in 2014 right before heading to Santorini. Even if you don't do the club/drinking scene. Super friendly locals, dont touch any souveneir stuff unless you actually want to buy it but. Definitely take one of the day trip island tours that hit 3-4 random little settlements.
>>
>>1123769
> Definitely take one of the day trip island tours that hit 3-4 random little settlements.

where can I find this?

Also how expensive is everything there (beer, restaurant,..)
>>
>>1123788
I heard about it through the reception at a backpackers where my mate was staying. They take you from Plaka to the port on a coach. From memory the trip was €40 each (5 of us). Bar and small pool on the boat. Plenty of sun lounging space. The islands were as varied as you could imagine. Some were built up ports with old fortifications others were only an hour or so for some local food and photos or a swim.
>>
What (and where) should I eat/drink?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.