[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag Hiker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: crookee-trail-3.jpg (74 KB, 600x305) Image search: [Google]
crookee-trail-3.jpg
74 KB, 600x305
Title says it all.

I'm a complete newfag to hiking, but I want to get into it. I have this wanderlust that's been brewing in me for the last two years, and it makes me miserable.

I want to see the world in all its rugged, unchecked beauty. I want the breathtaking views and to feel the earth under my feet and my calves to be on fire for the next few days after the hike.

Problem is I'm poor as a motherfucker and live alone. Thanks to the gods above that I'm in decent shape (not overweight, decent stamina), but at the end of the day breaking into hiking looks expensive.

What is the cheapest (and safest) way to get into hiking? I want to go explore the land and see what there is to see out there, but I also don't want to be unprepared and end up as the next tragedy in my local area.

>Location: San Diego
>Age: 22
>Equipment thus far: Jeans, athletic socks, some work boots, mostly cotton shirts.
>Current funds: $24
>Physical condition: Decent, but with lots of room for improvement.

Help me out with some ideas, /trv/?

Pic related, some shit in my hometown.
>>
>newfag
Cool term bro where'd u get it, /b/?

Also get a back pack, cheap ones on amazon if u can't afford a good brand like deuter, osprey, Gregory, etc. go to a reputable store such as REI where u know nothing they sell is shit and get the products they offer.
U can get some stuff off amazon like a backpacker stove for 8$ off amazon is what I use.
Get some hiking boots not work boots, Iv also used athletic shoes on over night trips before getting my boots. Also look in to a backpack tent or a hammock, would be cheaper. Don't really get ur question. U but the stuff u need, millions of articles and websites that say what u need. Don't buy an being stuff u don't need.
Also California is great for backpacking or hiking.
>>
>>1123072
>Cool term bro where'd u get it, /b/?

dude wtf? This is 4chan. /trv/ isn't some unique sanctuary that is totally different from the rest of the website.
>>
>>1123099
Well then got any rekt or trap pix for the lulz, kek!
>>
>>1123072

My question is basically

>Where can I purchase necessary hiking equipment for as cheap as possible?

I don't gave much money and barely make rent, but I love to explore. That said, I know at times hiking can get dangerous and I don't want to be caught unprepared in the wilderness.

I have an idea of what items I still need, but so far the cost of footwear alone breaks the bank.
>>
>>1123106
Yeah good footwear backpack and sleeping arrangement (tent or hammock) sleeping pad and bag r expensive.
Try amazon
If I were to go right now id have
Hammock w fly or tent
Backpack
Boots also sandals cuz change an light
Backpack stove w propane
Mess kit
Microfiber towel
Socks shirts shorts underwear
Backpack food dehydrated meals etc
Head lamp
Bladder w hose
Gucci bandana
Sleeping pad n bag
Pocket knife

A lot u can get cheap versions on amazon
Get good backpack, boots, sleeping quarters.
>>
Amazon or army surplus store for a cheap as possible. I prefer amazon cuz atleast u can read reviews
>>
File: IMG_4880.jpg (701 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4880.jpg
701 KB, 1600x1200
>>1123019
>What is the cheapest (and safest) way to get into hiking?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hiking+near+san+diego

start with day hikes, progress from there. it's not really as complicated as you seem to have made it in your mind.
>inb4 b-but i wanna so straight to the pct (or equivalent bullshit)
don't use long term goals as an excuse to not start short term goals. i hike two to 30 miles every week just for funsies and 9 times out of 10 i'm just cruising around one of the local state parks. pic related
>>
>>1123120
This. I did day hikes, worked up to 1 overnight, worked up to 2 overnight, worked up to river hiking, currently getting to rock climbing.

You don't need fucking anything you don't already own other than normal shoes and water bottle. Do day hikes. Fuck the boots meme, I use trail runners instead of boots and they dry quicker and are insane more comfortable. Just get good moisture wicking synthetic socks and you'll be good.

When you eventually get up to overnights, having friends are good because then less weight per person.

Then, and only then, get a decent $50 backpack on amazon (50L or so is good capacity), $20 backpacking tent from Walmart, $20 backpacking sleeping bag from Walmart. You don't need a camping stove per say, but butane ones are cheap af. I got a $100 white gas one because it's literally useable anywhere for water boiling, but you don't need that shit.

A great rule of thumb is don't buy anything until you're on the trail and think "damn a water bladder would be useful right now". Then you buy one. When you're on amazon everything seems like a good purchase, but most is junk you don't actually need.
>>
File: temple crag view south.jpg (3 MB, 5425x1997) Image search: [Google]
temple crag view south.jpg
3 MB, 5425x1997
>>1123127
>This. I did day hikes, worked up to 1 overnight, worked up to 2 overnight, worked up to river hiking, currently getting to rock climbing.
nice, i actually went the other way. started cragging, eventually realized all the best stuff is a day or two deep in the mountains.

+1 on starting with cheap gear. i just finally after 3 years upgraded my $45 costco 45L backpack to a sweet new baltoro 75. start cheap, see what you like and don't like, and upgrade down the road.

i also like trail runners. since you're out of sd do NOT get goretex. you'll get swamp feet.

i wouldn't go bargain basement on a sleeping bag, though. i have a marmot trestles 15 that i got on sale for $70 that's heavy (4 lbs, iirc) and packs like shit, but i haven't found anything comparable at its price:warmth ratio.
>>
>>1123135

See, I got a 5 degree Fahrenheit rated mummy style sleeping bag from Walmart for $20. Also packs like shit, around 4-5 pounds and huge volume, but holy fuck it is good. I went to the smoky mountains late December, hiked up one of the mountains and used it that night. Wore long underwear, jeans, under armor, sweatshirt and hat in that sleeping bag. Night temperatures approached 0 F, Slept like a baby, perfect temperature. I didn't expect it to work that well, used it ever since. In the summer I unzip it and use it as a blanket so I don't die of heat.

My Walmart 1.5 person tent has lasted that long too, given I updated the stakes. Walmart chink shit works for me, in everything except I got an expensive stove.

Definitely true on the goretex, any shoe, even the best waterproof boots, WILL get wet from either the environment or from your feet sweat. It's all about quickly drying out.

"cragging" sounds pretty hip and cool, a quick Google leads me to believe it's some introductory climbing stuff? I live in the Midwest so no climbing culture at all. God I need to get out of here, can't fucking wait for my trip to Zion. You have any big trips planned?

Lord Kek is among us for this capatcha... Literally talking about how I want to climb more mountains...
>>
>>1123153

My sleeping bag if you're curious: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everest-Mummy-5F-15C-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/2581360

Can't find my tent in Walmart website, it was a 7' by like 3.5' tent, around 5-7 pounds wanna say? Advertised as 1.5 people: as in, fits 2 college age good buddies close but no room for gear, or one person with gear
>>
>>1123019
go to Mt. Laguna on the pacific crest trail. It's like an hour and a half drive east on the 8. You can see all the way to the salton sea there
>>
File: cathedral peak.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
cathedral peak.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
>>1123153
>>1123156
nice score. i bought some big 5 30 degree nonsense bitd, used it once, night didn't even get down to 50 and i still froze my ass off, so i've been leery of big box no-name bags since.

"cragging" is quick daytrips to the local spot, usually short approach, short climbs, but easy to get to and get going. it happens less now that i have a kid, but i've been climbing bigger things more (if i only have one day a month i'm gonna make it count!)

zion looks amazing, it's pretty high on my list. when are you going?

i somehow wrangled 3 sierra backpacking trips next month, each will probably include a summit scramble, but no proper technical climbing immediately in sight.
>>
You can get a pretty good kit going for about 400-500 bucks. As you are a yankee doodle the west is the best hiking in the states. Start slow with solo hikes maybe just 2 nighters at first. In your part of the country you really don't need special equipment. A basic water purifier, tent, and sleeping bag/mat should be sufficient. A lot of military surplus stuff like an ALICE bag can be gotten for pretty cheap. Good boots are a must and if you can pick up a cheap food dehydrator you can save a lot of money/weight on your food expense.
>>
File: 837.jpg (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
837.jpg
144 KB, 640x480
>>1123019
Idk what the weather is like where you are, but if you want to buy a tarp and some rope you could probably sleep under that with a blanket. Just take a small bag/backpack and go somewhere relatively safe.

Honestly it might be uncomfortable without at least a sleeping pad, bag, and tent. If I were you I'd just go on day hikes until you can save up for a tent and maybe some boots. That way you can have fun while learning more.
Good luck, OP. you might want to ask in >>>/out/ too
>>
>>1123019
>Jeans
If anything, I'd buy a pair of pants that breathes more than jeans. They're sturdy, but not what you want to wear in warm weather because you'll start uncomfortably sweating, and not what you want to wear in cold weather because they don't isolate at all.
>>
>>1123113
>Gucci bandana

This should be top of your list
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.