[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a young white male using a modified Jeep Wrangler to tr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: 1464898925157.jpg (835 KB, 1166x1348) Image search: [Google]
1464898925157.jpg
835 KB, 1166x1348
I am a young white male using a modified Jeep Wrangler to travel alone across Africa. This is my route. thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/OLK3o
>>
You're probably gonna fucking die
>>
>>1122662
this

it seems like there are at least 4 completely different possible scenarios for you to die in
>>
>>1122656
There's a civil war in Libya, so you should avoid it
>>
Alone? I dunno man...
But my main concern would actually be the bureaucracy. It's mostly the central African countries, and inland areas of Northern African countries that are in civil wars with terrorist groups out to kidnap westerners. The rest of Africa is possible. I mean for fucks sake, Kampala has streetview now. Anyways, back to bureaucracy. In addition to getting a visa for Sudan, you need a special permit to travel outside of Khartoum, and I'd imagine that's a massive pain in the ass to get with planned dates, if not impossible, let alone on a whim (since you're not sure when you'll get there). Certain countries may not let you in or give you hell and ask for VERY heavy bribes since you visited Liberia. You may not need to get visas now, but you need to be aware of every single travel regulation for every single country before you make the trip. It may sound minor, but if makes the difference between only being able to go halfway down the continent and having to go through South Sudan, CAR, Chad, and the Libyan desert and if not getting killed by a warlord, getting kidnapped by Al-Qaeda, and doing your full route coming out with nothing more than a few scares.
>>
itt: op tells lies
>>
>>1122656
I just looked up your thread on reddit DIY. You seem like a cool dude who has done a great Pan-American trip. But it also seems like you have done next to no planning for this trip.

You mentioned that you put yourself in debt for this and could possibly run out of money part way through? Where do you think you'll make money in Africa? Unless you plan on selling your truck there... And the map, I get that it's just a general plan for now, but you will have to make major adjustments just so you don't get killed and other adjustments to accommodate for the political issues in the different regions of the continent.

I hope you come back to /trv/ and post about your trip, maybe even as you go along on it. You need to do some major planning before your jeep makes it over the ocean.
>>
>>1122713
He's just pretending to be the guy for thread potential. a guy is doing this
>>
this guy is fucked but it should be a fun read to follow
reddit is trying to redpill him on the dangers and his responses are " its a jeep thing" and "ill figure it out when it happens lol"
>>
>>1122912
He's going to die.
>>
>>1122656
Egyptians will try to rip you off, they typically multiply the actual price by 10 I find. Just a heads up and be careful about drinking tap water in these countries.
>>
>>1122912
>>1123017
I dunno man, he made it through Guatemala and Honduras.
>>
>>1123044
are you comparing libya and congo to these countries? because that is beyond a different world. honduras isnt even that bad if you blast through it minimal stay time. anytime spent in congo will be bad if you are alone.
>>
>>1123044
Many places in Africa are different animals than anything South America has to offer.

Central Africa is about as hardcore as it gets.
>>
Weren't you just on Reddit?

https://m.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4m7do7/i_built_my_jeep_into_a_house_on_wheels_to_live_in/
>>
>>1123044
Guatemala and Honduras don't have rebel groups who will capture and eat you
>>
>>1123084
this was a cross post from /pol/ which was a thread making fun of the guy who orginially posted that thread. it really seems like a viral ad for his book more than anything
>>
>>1123060
>>1123077
He's not going through Central Africa.
>>
>>1122656
Victoria falls shouldn't be missed. The quadripoint border crossing is also pretty special. You could get in to Botswana from there after you see the falls. Botswana is also very wild. Fuck ton of elephants and giraffes on the road so try to spend more time there? Looks like a great trip have fun bro.
>>
http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTjMp-kX7Ac

This guy has been around
>>
>>1122656
A few observations:
1. Jeeps are a distinctly American phenomena. You will have an impossible time finding parts if you fuck up your ride.
2. Libya is totally unsafe for a white American to travel through
3. I've heard that Rep. Congo-DRC is nearly impossible to transit with a vehicle.
4. Countries like South Africa won't let you drive a left-hand drive vehicle and vice versa for countries in the North
5. This will take an incredibly long time... I would say 6-8 months. The old saying is that any time frame is thrown out the window after day 2 in Africa.

Good luck...
>>
File: sud.png (9 KB, 74x205) Image search: [Google]
sud.png
9 KB, 74x205
As someone who has travelled extensively I can give you the list of the 10 most dangerous border crossings on the African continent with notes where appropriate for the 4 most dangerous.

1. Nigeria-Niger
Very largely a logistical concern. Many of the signs on the border are faded causing them all to read 'Welcome to Nige'. Because of this you often find yourself lost, and therefore looking like a tourist. Luckily as a real Africa expert I can tell the different fonts used by each countries border sign printing companies and can recognise them by the letter N alone

2. Sudan-South Sudan
Obvious reasons. The border is located in a rainforest so isn't worth crossing. The border also has the most corrupt border guards in the entire African nation. There is an old Swahili saying 'Ubuntu Mahomo Border' which essentially means 'When you go from Sudan to South, it is like you go from Stephan Hawking to Ralf' which references Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons and how much stupider people get south of the border.

3. Somalia-Djibouti
The border is used as a port for piracy. Northern Somalia is also the most dangerous part by far. Djibouti is also an unstable police state.

4. Lesotho-Chad
The border takes you through several countries so can be a risk to cross

5. South Africa-Namibia
6. Senegal-The Gamboa
7. Angola-Sudan
8. Uganda-Kenya
9. Comoros-Botswana
10. Morocco-Tunisia

In my experience the only 'safe' african border crossings are the ones located far away from any cities such as the crossing between the DRC and the Republic of the Congo, or the ones between landlocked nations such as Swaziland because the border guards work their morning shift on one border and evening shift on another so can keep track of visitors.
>>
In some of the countries you're visiting, there are long stretches of roads, the ones marked as national routes on maps, that are just muddy rocky trails, wide enough for a bicycle, eroded five feet deep from the surrounding land. These places are nigh on impassable to motorized transportation.

Your scrillion dollar Jeep is going to get damaged and become a sitting target for scrappers when it takes a month for repair parts to be flown in.

If you're lucky, before that happens, you'll be discouraged by the massive corruption everywhere. Central America doesn't hold a candle to it. Every border and most villages are going to demand a bribe and delay your passage by hours if not days. You'll routinely risk being jailed, robbed, or both.

TLDR: please do it. Until you mysteriously stop posting in the middle of DRC, Sudan, Libya, Angola, etc, etc, etc, this is going to be the funniest blog on the internet.
>>
File: image.jpg (192 KB, 648x784) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192 KB, 648x784
>congo
you know what happened to those goats in prison
you just know
>>
>>1123173
>Lesotho to Chad, What so all of Africa then?
>>
>>1123396
Still not as good as that other pasta.
>>
File: image.jpg (430 KB, 1056x1464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
430 KB, 1056x1464
think he will run into any of the proud african knights in his adventure?
>>
File: image.jpg (688 KB, 1200x2003) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
688 KB, 1200x2003
>>1123439
>>
i love watching yuppie faggots die
>>
>>1123446
If they took off the masks... would they die?
>>
Oh.... if you want safe then I don't think you are quite ready for the African experience, little boy. May I recommend a trip to Disneyland or any other popular family resort? This seems like it would be more your speed, you clearly aren't close to ready for what Africa has to offer.

Africa is danger. If you actually liked and enjoyed travel you would know this. When I visited Africa I toured the entire continent for 1 year on bike- you would probably take a car lik a fucking idiot and miss out on all the real sites. I can tell you from experience. I have cooked gamekill with villagers in the DRC. I have been chased by Maghrebi tribespeople through the rainforests of Namibia. I have photographed emus on the horn of Somalia while the war was fought 40 yards behind me. This is what Africa is. Danger. Excitement. The Unpredictable. Black people. I have felt it and honestly seeing you ask for 'safe' africa is fucking offensive. I wouldn't ask you for your most landlocked beach resorts would I, even if you are a fucking common tourist who knows nothing about the world.

People like you are encouraging the safetelation of Africa. Last time I visited I was in Swahili and saw a villager taking apart his AK-47 and I asked him why, because he needs it to defend his elephants from poachers. He said that tourism was generating money and they didn't come anymore. That makes me sick. This thread makes me angry.
>>
Didn't this guy already went to Colombia, Brazil and Argentina? Nothing will happen to him.
>>
>>1122656
Lots of places that you can't get through for legal and/or safety reasons.

You should "just" go from Cape to Cairo instead.
>>
>>1123462
>This is what Africa is. Danger. Excitement. The Unpredictable. Black people.
>>
>>1123478
>implying any of those places, especially Argentina, are anywhere near as dangerous as Libya and the DRC
>>
>>1123459
>2016
>baneposting
>on /trv/
>>
>>1123462
The great thing is that this plays you until you read about the rainforests of Namibia, 10/10
>>
>>1122656
Yeah west Ethiopia may have issues due to conflict spilling over from South Sudanese I'm not sure how far west but I know it's near the western border.
>>
>>1122656
Get a gun.
>>
>>1123077
I thought you were talking about the animals not the political situation for a second there lol
>>
>>1123492
You could start in Cairo, work your way down through East Africa towards Cape Town as it is relatively safe and should get you prepared to go up through the west coast. After driving through there you should be more prepared and familiar with African ways of doing things for the trip back up.

Have you got all of your visas worked out?
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 500x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 500x576
for reference of africas size
>>
>>1123173
>Lesotho-Chad border crossing
Top kek
>>
>>1123173
>Northern Somalia is the most dangerous by far.
Yeah, OP. If you see a sign that says Somaliland, this is the dangerous part. Mogadishu or especially the coast straddling the curve down the Horn of Africa is safe.

>Lesotho-Chad
Dangerous rainforests, I'd avoid it

>Gamboa
Avoid Gamboa, especially the capital, Restrictor.

But Anon is right about the DRC being safe.
>>
>>1122656

Lots of those boarder crossings are closed.
>>
File: 1433172496048.jpg (21 KB, 216x265) Image search: [Google]
1433172496048.jpg
21 KB, 216x265
>>1123493
lost my shit too
>>
>>1123478

>American education
>>
>>1122656
Hey, so called digital nomad (cringe) here.

I have to meet a friend briefly in Mombasa. Then after tha I need a place to work from. My work includes uploading about 200mb of files daily and some video skype.

I am considering Ethiopia and Kigali, Rwanda. I assume Ethiopia have not got the internet quality, but Rwanda might. Any anon know anything about this? Also, what about internet speeds in Lamu and Zanzibar?
>>
File: hahahahaha.png (9 KB, 919x125) Image search: [Google]
hahahahaha.png
9 KB, 919x125
>>
>>1122912
I mean, people do tend to overblow the dangerousness of places, I'm sure a trip like this is possible and if it was the guy >>1119469 I'd believe he could make a decent stab of it, he seems to at least have decent answers for every question (and perhaps most importantly took an old Defender rather than an incredibly tricked out jeep filled with electricals nobody will know how to fix)

This dude just seems to have no answers for anything, which is fine to an extent, I'm all for being loose with plans but this is ridiculous.
>>
>>1124825
Internet is everywhere. I backpacked from Ethiopia to South Africa and found i was still able to post on here from out there. Zanzibar too.

Best bet would be to go to a cafe or western style hotel and work from there.
>>
>>1124832
I would have more faith in him if he started on the east coast, looped south then headed back up north along the west coast. That said, ive met a bunch of westerners whove done the same or similar thing he's talking about so in the end he's probably gonna be alright.
>>
>>1124946
in fairness, posting on a very simple textbased message board is a lot different than uploading 200mb of files and skyping
>>
>>1124946
Yes, but that wasn't really the question. I work. As in "real work. 8 hours per day online or so, I can do it in Thai, Cambodia, Vietnam, I can not do it in Laos. We are talking about bandwidth quality.

>>1124962
Thanks. Indeed.
>>
>>1124965
Sorry, hadn't had my coffee when i read that ;)

I dunno, i spent heaps of time in Ethiopia and found the internet pretty shit. With some patience you can find good connections, but for the most part it's going to be really shit.

I didn't get too far off the beaten track on the rest of the trip but found the internet to be miles better than ethiopia. Saw heaps of tourists uploading their fresh safari pics on to fb, so it mustve been okay?
>>
>>1122656
>young white male

Check your privilege
>>
>>1124989
Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I did some work from South Africa. It was doable, but not much more.
>>
>>1123540
What's the difference?
>>
>>1123459
It would be extremely painful for you
>>
>>1123173
Cool are you a journalist?
>>
>>1123173
The border crossing between the DRC and RC is quite dangerous actually. It's very easy to get confused and end up in the undemocratic part, which can cause you numerous issues related to human rights.
>>
>>1125765
lel
>>
>>1122656
>i am a young white male
Nobody gives a shit about your skin color here
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.