[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: Shinobu.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
Shinobu.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
New Japan General, cosplay edition:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1119693
>>
First post for Beppu! :3
>>
>>1122580
>______ edition

>>1122586
>First post for Beppu! :3

This thread is already shit. Someone make a proper fucking thread.
>>
Nara is a meme city
>>
File: IMG_5346.jpg (142 KB, 1000x780) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5346.jpg
142 KB, 1000x780
>>1122586
please don't mention it in here
>>1122593
I just wanted to try something new after almost 3 years of the same format. If people don't like it, we can switch back to the old format
>>
>>1122599
I considered going there briefly, but I don't care about deer that much. I'll probably just stay in Tokyo, but I'm debating visiting the railway museum in Kyoto.
>>
>>1122624
I don't know what meme city means, but Nara is beautiful and worth visiting.
>>
>>1122608
>>1122593
Beppu! :3
>>
>>1122451
Got a job. Then I got married.

It's not hard to get a visa if you have a clean record and a company to sponsor one.
>>
>>1122586
Beppu is lovely this season. Going to the boardwalk and staring at the bay is so peaceful.
>>
has anyone taught english in japan and/or korea, and would offer their advice on which country you would recommend or your experience there?
>>
From the last thread
>>1122451
>How did you stay? Aren't there sizable barriers to immigrating with visas and all that?

Not really. If you have a job and keep you paperwork up to date it's not that difficult. I plan to apply for permanent residence once I've crossed the ten year mark (required) and for a spousal visa after that goes through.

>>1122488
>Why do you need offline, there is coverage literally everywhere in Japan

It's getting better, but if you want to use the navigation function, you'd need offline maps/a portable wi-fi.
>>
>>1122723
If you don't especially care about Japanese culture, the money is generally a little better in Korea. I still chose to teach in Japan.
>>
File: 20150919_112418.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20150919_112418.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>1122723
I did 5 years on JET in Japan, and it really depends on where you're assigned. You're unlikely to get assigned to any big cities, so you're better off picking somewhere nearby. Work load depends on your assignment, might teach at one school, might teach at five.

Eikaiwa chains are easier to get into, but they pay a lot less. Interac and most of the private dispatch companies get trashed with good reasons.

EPIK is like Korea's JET, and I've heard good things. I've enjoyed visiting Korea, but it really doesn't have the same public safety as Japan (I saw three fights in 6 days, versus 2 in 10 years in Japan). That said, it's a lot less prone to natural disasters.

I'd research the environment, etc of to make sure you live in a place that would be comfortable, and what's in different areas. Regardless where you pick, it's pretty easy to visit the other country if you want to.
>>
File: a0008202_2394557.jpg (13 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
a0008202_2394557.jpg
13 KB, 500x375
>>1122688
I had eat best Satsuma-age(flyed fish paste ball) in beppu.
I want to eat once more ...
>>
>>1122727
why is that?

>>1122728
how much free time do you have? pay is not as big of a deal if they cover your rent. Did you have a good time in Japan? how easy was it to fit in and make friends? what did you do as a teacher?
>>
File: Hakone-Jinja.jpg (407 KB, 2000x1335) Image search: [Google]
Hakone-Jinja.jpg
407 KB, 2000x1335
Last year I went Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Hiroshima ->Tokyo. Next month I'll be in Japan and am thinking instead of going to kyoto again doing Tokyo -> Kamakura (temples) -> Hakone (onsen) -> Mt. Fuji. My question is, how many days should I spent in each city? I guess I can do it all by train?

I'm open to suggestions of places to stay, I read that Hakone has some nice ryokans.

Also, if anyone is interested in doing this together, I guess it could be fun, I'll be in Japan from July 2nd through 15th.
>>
>>1122752
Well done that's in the middle of rainy season
>>
For those of you who have taken the willer bus, are the days I bought for a round trip already using japan's calander or was it using the calander of my home city
>>
>>1122753
Are you made of sugar?
>>
>>1122728
I have a working holiday visa already arranged for myself, and also do have a bachelor degree, landing in September in Tokyo.

What's my best bet for most money? Though I think I'd prefer part time.
>>
>>1122752
Go visit Kibune by train (A few) from Kyoto.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1122586
I love Beppu too! Was just there for a wedding. Walked to Umitamago from Beppu Eki while I was there. It was very pretty.
>>
I am planning on going to Tokyo next March. I can't find anyone to go with. Is a hostel going to be my best option if I don't want to do everything alone?
>>
Tfw plane was delayed and lose a day of your trip
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 259x194
Any opinions on Sapporo? The climate seems pretty similar to New York, which I'm okay with.
>>
>>1122777
Who were you flying with?
I just had 5 delayed flights with American Airlines. They're fucking cancer.
>>
>>1122777
Fuck that blows. Canada's shitty security took over an hour and caused me to miss my flight by 2 minutes. Thankfully it was on the way back though so I didn't mind too much
>>
How hard is it to find laundromats in japan? I'm going for a month and will need to wash clothes twice
>>
>>1122794
not hard
>>
>>1122794
Easy they're called coin laundry and they're written in katakana.
>>
Hey guys how can I study Japanese without looking like a complete weeb?

I'm American.
>>
>>1122773
M or F?
>>
>>1122815
You don't, just accept it

Also it's not like you have to show anybody you're studying it so who cares?
>>
>>1122815
be sure to emphasize your appreciation for their culture, which you know nothing about, the food, which you will not eat, the philosophy, which you know nothing about, or the language, which you...

oh wait, you ARE a weeb. go to a counselor, that'll get you a lot further than trying to hide it
>>
>>1122815
>>1122815
HOW CAN I TELL HER I LISTEN TO VAPOR WAVE?!
>>
>>1122815
Same. I'm afraid to show any outward intrest in Japan, even though I like it a lot. Sucks
>>
>>1122724
Just a warning: the spousal visa can be a huge pain to apply for and maintain.

If you get permanent residency, wouldn't there be no need for a visa?
>>
>>1122770
That's quite a walk! Was the wedding at Suginoi? It's such a wonderful resort.
>>
>>1122842
the spousal visa is such a pain many people don't even bother

permanent residency is based upon your work visa. there's no such thing as "just happening to exist" in japan. if you don't have a job, your case is flagged for review and you're kicked out
>>
>>1122815
Why do you care? If you want to learn it, learn it.
>>
>>1122844
Huh, interesting. I wasn't aware of the employment requirement for permanent residency. Thanks for the information.

Yeah, if you decide to go for the spousal visa, you have my prayers.
>>
>>1122815
>>1122821
>>1122822
>>1122824
>>1122845
It was just something I noticed today while sitting inside a ramen shop by my house. I pulled up my phone to listen to some japanese lessons on YouTube and was all self conscious of the people around me staring. I quickly put my phone away and just finished my noodles as fast as I can then left.

Oh and then I yelled ありがとうございました!!! as I walked out the door.
>>
>>1122848
>I yelled ありがとうございました!!! as I walked out the door
>not ごちそうさまでした
>>
>>1122823
Kek.
>>
>>1122851
Fuck you're right. I still have much to learn.
>>
>>1122853
I'm just messing with ya. Either is fine.
>>
>>1122823
pls respond
>>
>>1122859
Idk man ask /mu/ they'll have more solid advice for ya. You're on your own m8.
>>
>>1122844
If you're rich enough to not have a job long term (more than tourist visa limit) then you can afford a trip to a neighbouring country and just re enter and do whatever tf you want where you go.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1122843
It was!! Have you also been to a wedding there? Unfortunately it was completely overcast so the view was covered. It was still a beautiful setting though. The food was good, too.
>>
>>1122824
When I first started my current job I had just come from spending 3 years living and working in Tokyo and as such any time I had a relevant anecdote to add to a conversation it always started with, "this happened back in Japan, but I was blah blah blah" because most of the stories didn't make sense without that preface, anyway then my coworkers branded me as the guy who is obsessed with Japan. Now I just don't talk to them at all because they don't understand.... t-they'll never understand!!
>>
>>1122874
Yep! I went there for a wedding last year. My husband is from Beppu and we live close, so we visit quite often.

That's too bad about the weather. I hope you can go back soon when the weather's nice; if it's clear enough, you can even see Shikoku in the distance!
>>
>>1122724
>>1122842
>>1122844
wait why is it so hard to gain a spousal visa?
>>
I am going to visit my dad who works in a bank over there for 3 weeks in late November, early December

I don't know anything about Japan I'm wondering if that's an okay time of year to visit? I'm English so I'm used to crap weather anyway. Also, are there any places near Tokyo that have old Japanese houses and temples I can check out, I don't really like the look of Tokyo it looks so tacky/futuristic for me
>>
>>1122888
winter is good in tokyo, fairly mild.
tokyo is ful of old japanese houses and temples, it is a big city.
>>
>>1122887
When you tell the Department of Immigration that you want to apply for a spousal visa, they will give you a ~10-page packet of forms that you need to fill in (in Japanese, of course). Included in that packet is the personal and employer information of yourself and your spouse, a hand-drawn map of your residence, a record of all of your past dates of entry into Japan, a list of references who can verify your relationship, dated photos from throughout your relationship, a space for detailing every step of your relationship from first meeting to marriage, and more!

Then, you get to collect a bouquet of paperwork from your city hall, a written statement from your spouse indicating that he/she will financially provide for you should you lose your job, a photo, another separate form for a change of visa, a 4000 yen revenue stamp, and you'll get your new visa in two to four weeks.

Then, when you want to renew your visa (because they will only give you a one-year visa at first), you have to fill in another form, get more documents from city hall, answer questions that seem like they should be asked by a detective investigating your alibi, etc., only to have them call up a week later saying that there was another document that you needed to submit that they forgot to tell you about.

You have to accrue "points" in order to get a 3- or 5-year spousal visa. I don't even want to know what you have to do to get anything longer than that.
>>
>>1122900
wow that's hilarious, really seems like something the japs would cook up
>>
>>1122903
They also call up your spouse to see if everything checks out.
>>
>>1122914
do they also taste your dick to make sure you really fuck your wife and aren't just a filthy gaijin trying to infiltrate grorius nihhon to bum around?
>>
>>1122920
Try asking someone with a dick.
>>
>>1122900

I'm married to a Japanese woman and didn't have to go through even half of what you claim you did. Initial residency visa was easy to apply for, no unusual data was required, and I received a 3-year visa pretty quick. When that expired I was given a 5-year visa; the only documentation they wanted for that was a recent national tax return, proof that I paid municipal taxes, and proof that I'm enrolled in the National Health Insurance scheme.

Either you're really exaggerating your experience, or the Immigration people had/have reason to be suspicious of you.
>>
>>1122922
I'm not exaggerating - I actually left out a few other headaches they put me through. I don't see why I would be suspicious. I had worked in Japan for several years before applying for a spousal visa.

I did hear that they have begun to crack down on immigrants recently because they have found a number of people in violation of their visas, so perhaps they've just gotten stricter since you got yours.
>>
>>1122924

I got the 5-year renewal just last month and didn't notice anything strange. I'm not sure why they would give you so much shit, if what you say is accurate. Apart from getting proof of payment of municipal taxes, the whole thing was pretty easy and also really cheap to do. Japanese bureaucracy is usually a fucking nightmare so I was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>1122928
maybe they didn't like the taste!
>>
>>1122928
It could just be the place I go to. Most of the people who work there are assholes to everyone regardless of nationality, visa type, or anything else. Waiting in line and hearing the way they talk to the other people fills me with rage.
>>
>>1122889
4u
>>
>>1122930
>It could just be the place I go to.

I don't live in Tokyo or Osaka, so maybe Immigration is more laid back outside of gaijin central? Lines were really short and I didn't see them hassling anybody. Good thing, too, as if I was asked to go through the shit you say they put you through, I would have ragequit Japan.
>>
First time in Japan : take a tour with a guide, or go my own way? I don't really know what to visit beside Tokyo and I'm mainly interested in cultural sites.
>>
File: _.png (2 MB, 1798x864) Image search: [Google]
_.png
2 MB, 1798x864
Would this be an okay place for a hotel in Tokyo?

For 17 nights for a single room it's only £360 and it has a decent online rating, but I'm worried the location is a bit shitty
>>
>>1122937
completely unacceptable desu. dead semi-suburb location, 15 minute walk from rail station, gonna be very shitty for that price. remember that trains stop going at night so you'll want to stay somewhere you can hang out nearby.
use airbnb
>>
>>1122938
Which places are good to stay at night?
>>
>>1122943
anywhere near the district centers should be fine but especially shinjuku and shibuya has good nightlife and are overall good bets. not expensive either, even if you don't want to spend more it's better to be 15 minutes from shinjuku station where there's things to do than 15 minutes from bumfuck nowhere
>>
>>1122943
Anything near a yamanote line station or subway that lines up with it, Nippori can be cheap.
>>
How many of you are /a/, out of curiosity?
>>
File: 1452037099728.jpg (66 KB, 1601x750) Image search: [Google]
1452037099728.jpg
66 KB, 1601x750
>>1122961
Only reason I go to /a/ is for /djt/, but only to see if the CoR was updated
>>
Was in Kyoto today.

It was nice, but I get what that anon meant when he said it was a citywide tourist trap. So many fucking tour groups.

Also everyone in osaka and kyoto is a Chinese tourist
>>
>>1122794
You can wash them in a lot of hostels m8
>>
What did you do to contain your first time Japan excitement /trv/?
>>
>>1122966
Yeah, I really enjoyed the city and all its temples and stuff, but I disliked how there were gift shops and a bunch of other little trinket vendors at the end of each of the major temples. Also they were all crowded as fuck with tourists.

>Also everyone in osaka and kyoto is a Chinese tourist
Yeah I didn't really notice many in Tokyo, but once I got to kyoto they came out of the woodwork
>>
>>1122966
I fucking loved osaka, i am looking forward to more of it in november.
>>
>>1122970
count the days, read about japan, think about stuff to do and shitpost on jpg
>>
>>1122979
but I'm already doing that and it's not helping
>>
>>1122874
>BottIe Iogo covered with piece of paper with bow printed on it

For what purpose?
>>
is nikko a nice day trip?

>>1122987
i didn't say it worked
>>
>>1122991
Yes, Nikko is worth it as a day trip.
>>
>>1122937
For the price, I think it's pretty good. I'm staying right next to Nippori station, 7 nights in a private room at a hostel for £200 which is the cheapest and most central I've been able to find. If you're willing to walk a lot, the location on your map isn't bad at all imo.
>>
>>1122995
What hostel? How much would that be for a dorm room?
>>
>>1122976
Really? Thought it was kinda meh, though to be fair, I had a great time in denden town.

Next time I reckon I'll use Tokyo as a base and do day trips from there
>>
>>1122995
>>1123000
when are you going? that sounds terrible for the price even short-term
>>
>>1123000
>>1123013
Guest House Wasabi, a place in the dorm is way cheaper.

I'm there in mid July, and for some reason that's just the cheapest I've been able to find with the requirements I've got, ie. close to the Yamanote line, private room+bathroom and so forth.
>>
Going to be in Tokyo for 3 days. 100% free time. What should I see or do?

Famous shit but I guess i'm a fan of anime/manga/pokemanz/kareoke.
>>
>>1122988
It's an inside joke about Nikka whiskey between us and the groom. If you heard police sirens at Beppu eki last Sunday... we got out of hand =___=)
>>
File: all of my why.png (81 KB, 563x531) Image search: [Google]
all of my why.png
81 KB, 563x531
>>1122580

>http://erolin.net/

Please explain why a hooker site says "no intercourse"?
>>
>>1123052
Because USA.
>>
>>1123053

So what are you buying then?
>>
>>1123052
because intercourse is technically illegal in Japan (if you hire a prostitute I mean). But you know, technically
>>
>>1123055

Ok good, so they aren't just offering an extremely overpriced bj.
>>
File: 1463139066641.jpg (138 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1463139066641.jpg
138 KB, 900x675
I'm going to Japan in a couple of months to study the language for a year, and I'd like some tips.
I'm probably gonna rent a small apartment through Oakhouse or Sakura House. Anyone have any experience renting from them?
I essentially have a choice of flying with Aeroflot, Turkish, Qatar or Cathay if I wanna fly for a somewhat reasonable price. Should I avoid any of those airlines, or are they all comfortable enough for a 10 hour flight in economy class? Cathay is the cheapest by far, with the others nearly doubling the price, but I have my doubts about them.
Also, what to cook? [spoiler]No instant ramen[/spoiler]
>>
Reposting from last thread, didn't realize it was abandoned:

Gonna stay in Tokyo for two weeks this summer. Wanna make some day trips using Tokyo as a base as well, I was thinking of visiting Kyoto, Atami, Hiroshima (+ the rabbit island!), and Mt. Fuji.

Is Atami worth visiting first and foremost? Would be awesome to spend a day on the beach, but maybe there are better beach locations nearby Tokyo? Do you recommend doing a day trip to Fuji? What is the best station to stop at near Fuji if you wanna do a short hike? I'd like to see some beautiful vistas even if I'm just gonna spend a day there. Also, has anyone visited the rabbit island outside Hiroshima? Is it a good idea to visit the island and then spend a night (or two) in Hiroshima? Thanks.
>>
>>1122937
The only good part about that location is the proximity to the Yoshiwara soaplands.
>>
>>1123079
Two days in Hiroshima is fine. I would guess one day rabbit isle and another for peace park and miyajima would be nice.
>>
What are the options for going to Japan to study Japanese?
I know Japanese Government has some scholarships for various shits related to culture and teaching, specially for students who are graduating in something related to Japan (language or literature), but do they have something for the rest of us that's interested in learning their language?
Do they issue visas for random foreigners who want to go there and learn Japanese? Do universities have some kind of program for the general public (instead of only for university exchange students)?

tl;dr: my degree has no relation to Japan/Japanese culture, what are the options I have to go and learn Japanese in Japan?
>>
>>1123090
You can just pay for it, but it's expensive. Visit gogonihon.com for some example on schools and prices. To give you an idea, 15h of classes a week for 6 months would be something around ¥400,000.
>>
Looks like there's a bunch of these 1200 yen/day dorm rooms. Seems like it might be a good place to sleep and leave my luggage if I'm going on some side trips.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10237733?checkin=02%2F01%2F2017&checkout=02%2F07%2F2017&s=dWqUyU8K
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 800x1148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 800x1148
How do I go about hiring a prostitute?
>>
>>1123018
m8 i'm drunk and with literally 4 mins i found something that isn't a shithole in the middle of nowhere and with mobile wifi

https://www.airbnb.se/rooms/8196146?checkin=2016-07-14&checkout=2016-07-21&s=Bbaw-1jv
>>
>>1123161
I'd hardly call any place right next to a train station in Tokyo " in the middle of nowhere"
>>
>>1123122
i'd definately call a 1 star hotel 12 minutes from nippori statiom"in the middle of nowhere" compared to a similar accommodation 12 minutes from shinjuku station. but i haven't stayed there, maybe there's tons of shit to do in the evening at nippori?
>>
>>1123162
>>1123169
>>
>>1123122
looks pretty good, the alternative is manga cafes/coin lockers
>>
>>1123052
Prostitution is illegal in regards to vaginal sex, but oral and anal are OKAY desu.
>>
I'll be in Japan on a Working Holiday visa and do random jobs for at least 4 months. I'll first be heading to Osaka and then possibly to Kyoto or Fukuoka.

However, I won't travel all the time and as far as I've understood it, the Japan Railway pass is only worth it when you're travelling extensively for a couple of weeks. Is that true and could you recommend another budget pass?
>>
>>1123234
Random for 4 mon.? How do you figure you wiII go about doing this?
>>
After having been rejected by a bunch of English teaching jobs, I want to improve my qualifications. Is a TEFL online course a good idea or should I just kill myself instead?
>>
>>1123275
You got a degree?
If so, in what?
Have you considered JET?
>>
>>1123278
Yeah I got a degree but it's not English related. I don't like rural places so JET would not be for me. I lack any sort of experience, so doing a TEFL at least would give me that, as well prepare me to know what I'm talking about when applying for jobs. It would also make me a better teacher overall, of course.
>>
>>1123161
>£270 for 7 nights compared to £200 for 7 nights
I don't give a shit about paying extra to move to a more central location as long as I'm already staying in a cheap private room right next to the Yamanote line.
I'm not a party person so I won't be out till late evening. I'll have been traveling around the country solo and staying in hotels for a month before reaching Tokyo, so I've specifically chosen a hostel in order to more easily socialise with people.
I also need to leave for Narita very early morning on my last day, so I'm pretty comfy with the location I've got picked out. Thanks for the link but I never asked if there's better places to stay, cause of course there is. I just don't really care cause this place fits my boring lifestyle well.
>>
>>1123258

I'm thirty years old and have enough savings, so I don't necessarily need to work there. I'll actually be working on an online certification and a few other projects, but it would still be nice to earn some money. My questions was about the railway pass though.
>>
>>1123282
>l'm not a party person
>l don't give a shit about paying extra
>l never asked if there's better places to stay

So what's the pIan after you get there and reaIize that the entire country thinks you're an asshoIe?
>>
>>1123290
How exactly am I an asshole for preferring to pay less money for a room just because it's located in a quiet neighbourhood with good connections to the rest of the city?
And don't get me wrong, I love drinking with a small amount of people, which I can do at the hostel if I feel up for it. I just don't like partying, so places like Shinjuku is wasted on me in the evening. I don't really get what you're so mad about.
>>
File: 1427075928189.gif (1006 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1427075928189.gif
1006 KB, 500x333
>>1122728
>Apply to four largest eikaiwa
>"They take anyone" they said
>"No teaching experience required" they said
>Two post-interview rejections and two no responses
>Interviews were almost entirely telling me everything already listed on their website and not asking me anything
Man, fuck me. Just let me be an ignorant gajin teaching slave.
>>
Hi /trv/,

So I just moved to Japan (>4 weeks ago) and I am having a hell of a time trying to get a working cell phone plan here. I was hoping someone here might have had the same problem as me and figured it out.

So, I have 2 months old iPhone 6s that I bought sim-free (model A1688, which should support GSM and CDMA and generally be international as fuck)

I was previously using it on UK network EE, but I've since cancelled the contract and re-unlocked the phone.

Using a trusting Japanese friend I've gotten a plan with Mineo, an MVNO that resells au and docomo SIM cards. I went with an au one because I read the network was better.

>Sim arrives, data connection works, phone number doesnt. Can't dial in or out.
>Friend calls Mineo, they're borderline useless, they send me a new SIM.
>Get set up with that, same problem. Mineo says take it to the apple store.
>Take it to the Apple store, the "genius" is basically like "huh, weird, I dunno man, should work". Recommends I go with a Docomo-based SIM instead.

I have yet to do that because of the cancellation fees and figuring out what MVNO is on which network; thought I'd ask if anyone knows what the issue is first.

Greatly appreciate any help!
>>
>>1123336

Oh fuck me, after weeks of googling this shit I JUST NOW discovered that AU specifically only allows phones on their network that were sold by them. Foreign phones, even if unlocked, will not work.

Fucking Japan, man.
>>
>>1123342
they do that on purpose. it's a very subtle signal they want you to give them your money, and then politely leave
>>
YES MOTHERFUCKERS
IM GONNA LIVE IN JAPAN FOR 2 YEARS IN 4 MONTHS FROM NOW FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>1123360
Why is that a good thing?
>>
I was born with a Japanese Passport, but dont speak the language very well at all.

How hard would it be to get a job over there. Im also white.
>>
>>1123365
>implying
>>
>>1123342

Find a AU located near an American military base. I always hear they are more likely to bend the rules a bit because SoftBank (competitor) is located ON all military bases in Japan.
>>
Are 2 weeks in tokyo during summer too much?
>>
>>1123390
what?
>>
>>1123360

>>1123365
this tb h
>>
>>1123392
It's too much time for a single city?
>>
>>1123397
it's not, 2 weeks in 1 ward of tokyo isn't much
>>
>>1123390
Bring deodorant
>>
>>1123393
cause he's a weebo who thinks japan is the magical land of miracles and cute lolis who are craving for his dick
>>
>>1123398
>2 weeks in 1 ward of Tokyo
>not enough

U wot m8.
>>
>>1123326
You applied to... ECC AEON NOVA and Berlitz? I think those are the 4 biggest ones. ECC is actually quite picky about who they hire and AEON is not a sure thing either. With NOVA the "they hire anyone" meme is pretty true so I cant picture how you'd fuck that up. If you had an interview they should let you know if youve been rejected. How long have you been waiting? Where did you apply and who rejected you?
>>
>>1123384

That's goofy enough to work.

Are you speculating or have you seen this happen?
>>
>>1123421
ECC, Aeon, no response after two weeks, meanwhile Aeon is plastered over recruiting sites clearly in the process of looking.
Intertac and Nova rejected after phone and Skype interviews, respectively. I don't know if Intertac liked my preference to be in/near a city at least, and Nova, I don't even know, I preferred full-time?

Applied to several more yesterday, including Berlitz.
>>
So this is a summary of what Im thinking and I'd like some input
>inb4 get called a retard
I already now I am
>I wanna go to japan, possibly to live there
>I know I should go once for a limited amount of time and learn if its really what I want, but I'm not picky at all (the conditions I live in imply so)
>I have 0 qualifications, being that I'm 19 and have no plans of going to college where I live, but might consider it if need be in japan
>I wanna go there while I'm young, to fully experience life there
>I dont mind working a shitty job and living in a shitty apartment, as long as I can ride my bike, see beautiful sights and visit historic places.
>The reason I wanna live there is for the calm and orderly way of things, which might not be what I expect it to be, but it's better than living where I live
>>
>>1123522
So...apply to a Japanese university?
Do you know Japanese? If not, find an English-taught school.
>>
>>1123079
>anyone visited the rabbit island outside Hiroshima

I did. Made a trip from Kyoto to Onomichi and got a nice onsen hotel there for cheap. Took the train to tadano-umi (about 30 minutes from Onomichi/Mihara which are both Shinkansen stations) and the ferry from there to to island. Is an 10 minute ride on the boot and the island is quite pretty. I was there on a friday and there were very few tourists, all but one indonesian girl japanese. You can store your luggage at the port for a small fee and buy rabbit food there for cheap.

I loved exploring the island. Next to no people there, full of cute rabbits and it had a exotic feeling in general. Would recommend it anytime. Just buy at least three packs of rabbit food :3
>>
>>1123525
I'm learning japanese, but I'm still on a very, very basic level, for example I havent memorized all the hiragana, I've practiced a lot but some days I just forget to. If I were to apply for a school in japan, would the requirements, as in hs grades, be a problem?
>>
>>1123522
do you have a couple of million of dollars? because otherwise you might as well some ugandan kid wanting to immigrate to japan
>>
>>1123522
you are literally me

here's my two cents
In order to work in japan you need a work visa, in order to get a work visa you need an accredited 4 year degree

just going over to japan to get a shitty conbeni job doesn't work

start a degree now and start saving money, and then apply as an ALT

I'm 22 and I wish I hadn't waited

I don't wanna get to like 27 years old before I go over so I'm probably going to spend a year or so and test out of college though cleps/dantes testing

also working on my language ability so I can at least have some understanding of japanese before I go

>>1123529
realkana, download the app and do an hour a day right before bed
>>
>>1123531
I know I should get an education, but I'm so eager to gtfo of my country and leave everyone in it, that I dont wanna waste a single second... also thanks for the app name, Ima do that now
>>
>>1123533
I know that feel man

look at thomas edison state university, you can test out of most or all classes in something like 10 months and get a legit 4 year degree

if you're like me and hate math you can do something generic like getting a BA in liberal arts, little to no math involved and every class is able to be tested out of

but you need to be really self modivated, as it's a lot of work

also if you're going for an ALT job or eikiawa look into spending a few weeks getting your TEFL cert, it'll help your odds on landing the job
>>
>>1123537
I actually appreciate math, so would any degree there be the biggest priority for me? I just wanna chill in japan maaan, why is life so hard...
>>
>>1123522
>>inb4 get caIIed a retard
>l aIready now l am
>aIready now

Wow you weren't kidding.
>>
>>1123542
oh fuck, I even double checked, oh well, I guess I proved my point
>>
File: WorldOrder.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WorldOrder.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>1123529
I can't say, are they bad? Maybe they just want to fulfill diversity like they do here in America. It shouldn't hurt to apply at least.

Your only other option is a working holiday visa (if you're not American), or a basic vacation, neither of which you're likely to get a full visa from unless you marry.

I'm almost 25, having just graduated college, and have the same thought of GTFOing. I don't regret having a decent enough engineering degree now, and saved money living at home, but any job other than teaching, especially without knowing much Japanese, is unlikely.

If one of these companies doesn't hire me soon, I'll probably go for the TEFL certification, in time for the JET deadline in November, but that's another fucking grand to drop when I thought I was done with schooling.
>>
>>1123541
well since you're going to be teaching regardless of what degree you get I suggest going in for teaching, or whatever subject you find would be the easiest

you really only need the degree for the visa, if you're a white native english speaker they pretty much hire you on the spot

just have to be a friendly outgoing person, even if you aren't
>>
>>1123559
I can live with that, but no, I dont speak english as a first language, I'm portuguese, as for the friendly and outgoing, I think I can work with that
>>
>>1123561
do you have a complete understanding on english? you need to be able to flawlessly speak english and have a degree from an english college to even be considered for a teaching job

also may or may not require 10 years of schooling at english grade schools

I'm not sure if that's a general requirement or not but I know aeon alts need it
>>
>>1123541
You have to have a degree before, or you can try without but it'll take at least a year before you can go back to do it.
>>
I can only afford capsule hotels but I want some Jap pussy, how do I go about this issue?
>>
>>1123570
Karaoke parlors

I also heard about people having sex in manga kissa but that's kind of a dick move
>>
>>1123571
Don't have sex in karaoke rooms. A lot of them have cameras and there is a good.chance you will get in trouble. My one Japanese friend and his gf got kicked out of one for doing that. Don't be that baka gaiji.
>>
>>1123499
I wouldn't freak out about AEON and ECC not getting back to you yet. It might happen any day now. For now I'd just sit tight another week or so. I vaguely remember ECC taking like a month to get back to me. I emailed them to check in and they apologized for delays and offered me my interview options.

As for NOVA and Interac... with Interac, yeah, maybe you sounded to eager about wanting an urban placement? I mean everyone does and they know that, but you cant sound inflexible. Basically most interac overseas hires do not get prime placements. Idk about NOVA.. they honestly are pretty lax and i suspect it was probably not because you expressed interest in full time. Can you really not think of any reason you were rejected? Were you really nervous? Etc etc. Did they not prpvode you any feedback? I assume you didn't ask for any?
>>
>>1123591
>got kicked out of one for doing that

lol who cares

you're almost expected to pull a gaijin smash wherever you go anyways
>>
>>1123366
How did you get a Japanese passport if you're white?
>>
>>1123601
you don't. they don't give passports to people without japanese blood. that's literally part of the law.

there was ONE guy who was abandoned by his parents in okinawa a long time ago, who snuck by. that was so big it was a news story, though. he didn't even speak japanese, he spoke the okinawa dialect. I forget who raised him.
>>
>>1122818
M
>>
>>1123366
Easier than someone without a Japanese passport. But you'd have to ask yourself if you have something that they want considering you don't speak the language.
>>
>>1123603
Grandfather is Japanese married a Germanic woman, my mum looks 75% white and grew up in Japan. She married a Brit (Whitest guy ever) and here I am. 1/4 Japanese but white, although some people say I have almost Asian eyes in particular the corner of my eyes. Hairdressers have also often complained that my hair is very thick and similar to Asian hair. So I am technically a citizen by blood for both the UK and Japan and will be using a loophole to keep both.

>>1123603
It is hard, but you can go through the naturalisation process by marrying a Japanese individual like my Grandmother did. Being an expert in a field or a professional athlete helps as well. But in time anyone can be a Japanese citizen if they live there long enough and forfeit their current nationality.
>>
>>1123596
>having no sense of shame or decency
whataguy.jpeg
>>
>>1123612
there are like, maybe, 100 total non-bloodline descended japanese citizens.

>>1123613
this is why they don't like foreigners
>>
>>1123603
You are so full of shit, japan had a naturalization process just like any other modern county in the world. Sure Japan has stricter standards of language and "conformation" to the constitution and forced to renounce your previous citizenship but the time line of 10-15 isn't that unusual.
>>
Studying abroad in Tsukuba for a year come september. 5 of us are probably going to group fly. We're considering arriving a week or so early to explore tokyo/get acclimated. Not sure if its worth it though. Heat, Califonia to Tokyo jetlag, and cost are things to consider. Is there any real advantage in staying in tokyo for a week straight in air bnb rather than a couple weekends in a hotel down in the year? I can't imagine taking the train down to tokyo from tsukuba to be too much of hassle and I'm there for a whole year so I'll have time. Still it would be fun. The week we would be there would be september 19.
>>
>>1123618
Yeah, just by behaving myself and not dropping f-bombs everywhere, everyone tells me that I'm "so un-American". Makes me embarrassed to be one sometimes.
>>
>>1123620
the method exists because macarthur imposed their constitution on them. there's a legal stipulation that its possible, but it's almost never allowed.

did you just read a wikipedia page or somehting and you think you're smart?

next you're going to be tellingm e that japan is a free trade nation. yuk it up pal
>>1123621
english please
>>
>>1123624
You're really going to make me sit up and type this shit with two hands?

I will be studying abroad in Tsukuba for a year come September. 5 of us are probably going to group fly. We're considering arriving a week or so early to explore tokyo/get acclimated but we are not sure if its worth the time or money. I imagine it will be quite warm, and we don't really know how bad the jet lag will be from Tokyo to California or how long it will last. Is there any real advantage in staying in Tokyo for a week straight in air bnb rather than a couple weekends in a hotel later in the year? I can't imagine taking the train down to tokyo from tsukuba to be too much of hassle or that expensive and I'm there for a whole year so I'll have time. Still it would be fun to start exploring right off the bat. The week we would be there would be september 19.

I'm not looking for any definitive yes or no answers. Just some general input. There may there are events going on that week that we don't know about, or maybe trains down to Tokyo are a lot less flexible than we anticipated or maybe hotel/air bnb prices change significantly throughout the year. I'm just looking to read some general opinions
>>
>>1123603

>you don't. they don't give passports to people without japanese blood. that's literally part of the law.

Care to show me that part of the law explicity? Why would you speak with conviction when you know damn well you don't know this for certain and you're just spewing shit.

It is difficult but possible to become a citizen of Japan as a non Japanese. Basically its not more common because having permanent residency in Japan is basically the same thing as being a citizen but there are a few less hoops to jump through and you cant vote. Technically you must renounce other citizenships though everyone seems to break this rule. Theres no huge bemefot to becoming a full Japanese citozen if you have permanent residence.
>>
>>1123623
Yeah I got the same sort of reaction when I spoke some Japanese. They were all very surprised I could, even though it's just on a basic conversational level. Then again, none of the other foreigners I met while I was there could speak a lick of Japanese, so it seemed like I was the odd man out for knowing some.
>>
I live in Japan, but am in the countryside. There's obviously no young people here, much less qt girls. I need to go out and find some girls.

The closest major city is Osaka. What bars or clubs in Osaka are best for finding girls who want to shag a gaijin whose looks are the definition of average?
>>
Where is the cheapest place to convert dollars in cash to yen? Narita Airport? Do anyone know where I can find the exchange rates for the airport?
>>
>>1123665
Just withdraw from an ATM
>>
>>1123666
It's more expensive this way, I don't know if american banks offer a cheap way to do that, but brazilian banks will charge me more if I use their travel money cards. I wanna convert cash money.
>>
>>1123499
>Applied to several more yesterday, including Berlitz.

Be careful with Berlitz. Management -- including gaijin management -- have a reputation for being giant assholes. It was so bad, the employees union (i.e., English teachers) had to sue them a few years ago.
>>
>>1123393
>hipster pleb
>>1123407
>jelly hipster pleb
you have fun with your pleb blog post about how your entire year you saved up and went to japan for 1 week then proceeded to sit in the Traveling to japan thread for the rest of the year if not 2 years
>>
I'm in the military and I'm getting stationed in Japan very very soon at the naval base in Yokosuka. What sort of place is it? From what I've seen, it looks close to Tokyo. Would it be possible to do like a day trip into Tokyo from Yokosuka? What about the women there? Food?

Basically, can anyone tell me what to expect in general from Yokosuka ?

>not that it matters, my ship deployed yesterday
>>
>>1123522
you sound pretty stupid
youre not going to get work as a foreigner, they have to do a shit ton of paperwork
the biggest hurdle anyone ever faces is simply money. if you can afford to, do it right now, follow what you absolutely want in life, and dont let some little shitter pleb that shitposts these threads like a faggot try to deter you from doing what you want to do

cant really suggest you anything because you havent said anything about money. you nonchalantly mentioned just attending college, when college is going to cost way more than just living there.

my biggest hurdle for setting up living in japan 2 years was getting my cake and eating it, im going to get paid a shit ton of money to live there, with all expenses paid, housing, food, and thousands in spending cash every month its gonna be amazing
>>
>>1123682
It's basically Tokyo. Congrats.
>>
>>1123686
his ship deployed he's not going to see it for 6-9+ months at a time
also when you are in port, i heard horror stories of people having to work from sun up til sun down on amphibs there
he's probably on the carrier as an airman or something stupid like that.
>>
>>1123694
Actually I am signals.
>>
>>1123697
Don't impersonate me man. He was right, I am only an airman but it's whatever I've wanted to go to asia for the longest time and I'm excited
>>
File: WorldOrder3.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WorldOrder3.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>1123594
Shit, I might not have actually applied to ECC and thought I did, looking at their website again (no actual application, just an email address which isn't in my outbox). Aeon specifically says, annoyingly, "successful candidates will be contacted within two weeks," so I don't know there.

Being rejected by Intertac first I did try to adjust my attitude for Nova. I'm always nervous but not debilitating, and it's easier to hide on (apparently a bit blurry) webcam. The only targeted questions by the lady at Nova beyond general preferences, where, how long, why, etc, was how I see myself within their company, and specifically about how I would introduce myself to students to ease them at first.

For the former, I tried to explain how I wanted to have fun while working, make friends with the people there, see where it takes me in a year and possibly stay longer. This seems standard, par the course. For the latter, I mentioned I'd probably tell the students where I am from, being something easier to understand for them (especially with a map), and somewhat interesting. I live in Phoenix, so a desert, and it gets over 40°C (45°C today, for example, a record breaker for this time). Even factoring humidity it's worse here, and I like to brag about it, trying to show some personality in the process.

She did mention talking slower for the students to catch easier, and I noticed her talking with her hands a lot, something I'd have to consciously practice for a while. Between her explanations about the position I confirmed I understood everything, having already taken a look at the website, am not picky about specifics, and would welcome any help regarding training and accommodations. She did make me realize I would need a passport ASAP and I applied for an expedited one (which I of course won't need for them anymore) the following day.
>>
>>1122966
Go to Kibune, it's a little more special
>>
>>1123721
If you applied to ECC in May, they sent out an email saying that their quota is full for 2016 and from June they are only looking for applicants for 2017. I applied and got that response. Of course, I wanted to get there sooner, and ECC is selective as it is. NOVA was the only interview I got out of 4 and I got rejected. It really makes me wonder what I did wrong. Maybe I thought the whole process would be too easy.
>>
>>1123725
At least I'm not the only one. Yeah, I really wish I looked into this sooner, but I was finishing school. I'd really not like to be here until next Spring or else I might as well use my time to get a cert and go entirely for JET.
>>
>>1123727
You probably already know this but JET only ever sends people to rural areas. It's not what I want, at least.
>>
>>1123728
Yes, I am well aware, which is why I wasn't real bothered Intertac rejected me because they do the same, but all other things considered it's supposed to be good.
>>
>>1123729

Rejections might also have to do with current changes in ALT teaching. Briefly, Interac lost the ALT contract in at least 2 prefectures a few months ago. NOVA snapped it up, but lost the same contract themselves shortly thereafter as they weren't able to come up with the required number of teachers. Interac is now trying to get their foot back in the door. So -- Interac may be slow on hiring as they no longer have the positions they once did; NOVA may be slow on hiring as they're still licking their wounds.
>>
>>1123732
So then...who owns the contracts now?
>>
>>1123733

In the affected prefectures? As far as I know, nobody. The Japanese teachers are having to teach Engrish all by themselves while the situation is being sorted out. Since very few of them can actually speak Engrish, it must be quite amusing.
>>
>>1123728
This is an outdated meme. Interac has recently upped their number of urban placements by a lot and they've never been exclusively rural, just predominantly so. I knew a JET brat who lived and worked in Nakano.
>>
>>1123743
Sorry I meant JET not Interac.
>>
>>1123721
>I tried to explain how I wanted to have fun while working, make friends with the people there, see where it takes me in a year and possibly stay longer

So you only mentioned things that would benefit you, not the students or the company. Gotta keep this in perspective, man, they're not hiring you for your own benefit; you have to sell them on why you would be good for them.
>>
>>1123753
Fair, and I really wasn't prepared for the question, but I mean
>they're not hiring you for your own benefit
Look at this kind of shit
https://www.nova.co.jp/lp/workhol_uk/
>entirely a vacation advertisement, only a tiny blurb about actually teaching
Not what I applied for, but they really set themselves up for it.
>>
>>1123668
For me it's only 1%. So every 1000 bucks I withdraw it's just 10 go to the bank
>>
>>1123760
For me it's 6,4%, so I'll lose something around 9,000yen if I choose to use travel money. Plus, I literally have the money in my hands, I don't wanna get the bank involved.
>>
>>1123679
you have funworking like a slave and committing suicide after a year
>>
>>1122624
There's a railway museum in Tokyo/Saitama as well, much closer and equally as good.
http://www.railway-museum.jp/en/information.html
>>
>>1123873
Thanks! I'll probably visit this one instead or change my mind and head to Kyoto's since it'll give me a reason to ride the shinkansen.
>>
Does anyone here have any experience with English language teaching in Japan? How is it?
I might do CELTA next year. Any tips or something if I want to go to Japan?
>>
>>1123531

>I don't wanna get to like 27 years old before I go over

I'm 29 and I just got here. It's fine. In fact, I'm glad I waited because I'm not the incompetent fuck I know I was at 22.
>>
>>1123884
Will be 34 when I visit Japan for the first time this year. Better now than never. Was also a fuck up at 22 and broke. I'm glad I waited because now I actually have money.
>>
>>1123661

Those cartoony british pubs. The chain is called "Hub", I think.

My Brit friend would always easily pick up girls there.
>>
On my last week of my Japan vacation. In Tsukuba, 30 min from Akihabara.

What do?
Anyone near?
>>
>>1122848
>Oh and then I yelled ありがとうございました!!! as I walked out the door

right there that's what makes you a weeb. you don't see random japanese people yelling "thank you very much!!" after eating at a burger joint in japan.
>>
>>1124034

What do you actually say when you leave, or do you even need to say anything?

I'm going over soon and would like to know some tips on that. I already know that you usually say Sumimasen rather than Arigatou if someone holds a door open for you etc.
>>
>>1124043
I'd say arigato just without the gozaimasu. Adding in the gozaimasu makes it too formal
>>
I'm heading over to japan at the beginning of July, for two weeks. Tokyo for the first few days, then moving around to the standard tourist shit.

Any of you nerds going to be around?
>>
Has anyone stayed at sakura hostel (http://www.sakura-hostel.co.jp/) before? The price and location is pretty damn attractive. I'm just not sure if everything else is up to par.
>>
>>1124043
just say nothing
>>
>>1124034
If he knows that the staff is Japanese, I don't see the problem.

And most people who have any manners at all do drop a ごちそうさまでした or ありがとうございました after eating at a non-chain restaurant.
>>
>>1124049
i've only ever heard japanese people say it with gozaimasu, especially at restaurants, stores, etc. maybe with friends arigatou is fine but definitely not with strangers.
>>
>>1124077
>>1124075
Embrace your gaijin, ども ありがとうございました!!! and bow all the way to the floor
>>
File: dogeza.png (335 KB, 580x432) Image search: [Google]
dogeza.png
335 KB, 580x432
>>1124084
>>
>>1124043
you say nothing at a fast food joint. also, this board is crawling with idiots. this is the wrong place to ask if you actualy care. half of the answers given here have been wrong.

>>1124075
you should try kowtowing. I hear it's all the rage davido kun
>>
>>1124070
Stayed there for 3 nights this week.

Got a small private room. Don't have a pic to hand- it's basic, but clean and functional. Also great view over Asakusa from the balcony.

Breakfast is just toast, essentially.

They do the 24/48/72-hour metro cards there, so fucking handy.

Technically more of a hotel than a hostel imo. Bit of a hostel vibe though.

Location is tricky until you're used to how the metros works (or rather, the difference between the lines), but basically if you stand across the road from the Asakusa View hotel, with your back to the hotel, and walk straight, it's one of the alleys going to the left, you'll see a small sign on a wall.

Overall, would definitely stay there again, it was breddy good.
>>
>>1124075
I've never heard a customer say ありがとうございました before leaving a restaurant. ごちそうさまでした seems to be the standard choice. The staff will say ありがとうございました to you.

>>1123883
Yes, I currently teach English in Japan and have experience applying to several places both from abroad and within Japan. CELTA is generally not a requirement or anything but it probably couldn't hurt. Have a bachelor's degree in any field.

Teaching in Japan is generally fine. The salaries generally allow you to live comfortably, but do not expect to save money.
>>
>>1124084
What's the difference between gozaimas and gozaimashita?
>>
>>1124117
Latter is more formal
>>
>>1124117
gozaimashita is even more polite.
>>
>>1124117
Masu is present tense, mashita is past tense.

Either is generally fine, but you can use masu for thanking someone for something now, or mashita for thanking someone for something in the past tense etc.
>>
>>1124114
Teaching English in Japan is very dangerous because its just enough money to live the single life and go out drinking most nights, but has a very hard salary cap and doesn't allow you do much else in life besides that.
>>
>>1123883
Japan doesn't really care about CELTA compared to any other certification, so if you're strapped for cash just do something cheaper.
>>
>>1124114
Well maybe it's a regional thing or something because I hear ありがとうございました all the time.
>>
>>1123969
I'm in Tokyo. Meet up?
Got somewhere to be at 7 though.
>>
>>1122599
Nara is the sister city to my home, I feel obligated to go when I visit Japan
>>
>>1124114
>>1124150
>>1124169
Are there any tips you would give an aspiring English teacher? Any advice?
>>
>>1124247
Don't set all your hopes on one company. Emphasize your flexibility and any kind of teaching experience (tutoring, mentoring, etc.). Speak clearly and slowly. Smile and look presentable. Brush up on English grammar (yeah, yeah, you're a native speaker, but it's possible that you've forgotten a lot of the basic grammar that even junior high school students will be learning).

If you don't have any teaching experience, I'd suggest at least volunteering beforehand to get some to put on your resume. If possible, do some substitute teaching or something before you apply.
>>
>>1123698
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36457448

kek
>>
>>1124249
Thanks man. I'm not a native speaker, but I am finishing my degree in England language and culture, so I guess that helps.

What are good places to volunteer?
>>
>>1124282
Nice, then you ought to be doing alright.

If you can find a place at your college to be a tutor, that would be good. If not, ask around at public schools or community centers to see if they could use a hand (or would at least accept one).
>>
>>1124150

Who hell wants to go out drinking "most nights?" Sheesh. I think TEFL teachers have a drinking problem... Even that Ken Seeroi dude who writes that popular Japan blog actually said he went to AA in Japan (he might have been bullshiting though who knows).

If you go drinking "most nights" then THAT is the main factor prohibiting you from doing much else in life besides drinking. I'm curious what you mean by "much else". What I can tell you with confidence is that by cutting down on drinking other shit in life that is not drinking opens up...

The highest salary I've ever seen for a regular plain old ESL job in Japan (basically not counting universities and big-time International Schools like AIS or Sacred Heart) was 340,000. Obviously not at all common. I'd estimate 40% of jobs are around the meme 250,000 figure. JET brats get 300,000. AEON is higher than industry standard at 270,000 (285,000 after a year).
>>
>>1124282
Keep in mind some places I've applied to require that you are native. They probably can't verify that, at least.
>>
>>1124247
>>1124247

Been a TEFL teacher for 4 years between Korea and Japan. While more specific questions would help, here is the general advice I can give you...

Basically, seriously consider NOT doing TEFL if some of these apply to you...

- If you secretly (or hell not so secretly) harbor any feelings of nationalistic or racial superiority; if you really love your country how they do things there.

-If you are very materialistic, or otherwise driven by status and prestige.

-If you are headstrong, stubborn, need to get the last word in, really opinionated, etc.

-If you cannot handle a lot of alone time.

-If you are a vegetarian, vegan or picky eater.

-If you think all the tired memes you've heard about girls are true.
>>
>>1124287
you might hav takn his post too literally

a lot teahers have a drinking problem because 1 theyre scum who cnt get a better job and 2 theyre kds straight out of school with money for the first time

this is why they have a bad reputation. also why tey prefer working in thailand.

either way you cant argue the money is shit. the economics cant support higher pay but if youve internalized the idea that 1-2k a month is workable pay for someone that wants to
1 afford health insurance
2retire
3 get married
4 buy a house
5 send kids to college
6 not sit on the couch every weekend waiting fr death to come
then youre a brainwashed slave
>>
Anyone use /hentaitokyo.com
>>
>>1124286
thanks again man.

>>1124292
Thanks a lot. Only one (stubborn) sorta applies to me, but I'm working on that, so I think I should be good.

I do have some more specific questions, if you don't mind.

- What are the differences between ESL teaching in Korea and Japan? What country would you advise more for a beginning teacher?

- How much does appearance (I have vitiligo which will likely spread to my face) matter in hiring?

- Are there any cities/countries you would stay away from with regards to ESL?

- How accepting of white foreigners are the Koreans/Japanese?

- Would you say it was 'worth it'?

- Is it possible to do something extra (i.e. possibly coach a school's basketball team or whatever) next to your ESL job?

- Is the 'regularly drinking with coworkers after working hours' thing true when it comes to ESL?

- What are your best/worst experiences when teaching ESL?

- I've heard different opinions on this, but is the pay generally enough to live semi-comfortably?
>>
>>1124305
the pay level is impending doom tier

define acceptance. everyone ive eve et gets upset because no one treats him like a native despite not even speaking. and if you think racism is a roblem in the west you will almost certainly be miserable in the east. you thank them for allowing you to be there or you get out. theyre all smiles but if you even think once about exploiting the rce card youll want to leave of our own accord. unlike the west thyr not happy with illegal immigrants raping burning cars and then saying its the natives fault.
>>
>>1124316
>impending doom tier
what do you mean?

>acceptance
I simply mean that I won't get excluded /called names etc on a regular basis. I understand that it will happen, but I don't want mean glares or insults and such every time I step outside, you know what I mean?
I just want them to act 'normal' towards me. Obviously noone will treat me like a native, but that's obvious.
>>
>>1124318
look at the wages yourself. its impoverishing.

everyone says they dont expect to be treated li a foreigner but it embitters 99% of the people eenwen none of them becoe fluent.

old men yell at me soetimes. staring is a thing. nothing dangerous. i feel less welcome at home where im liable to get shot any given day. i like it here better.
>>
>>1124320
>old men yell at me
Kek. Do you know what they're saying?

I'm used to being stared at, so that's no problem. I also expect to be treated like a foreigner, so I think I should be ok.

>liable to get shot any given day
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
Hey /trv/, I recently booked 3 nights at the Khaosan World Asakusa hostel, does anyone here have any experience about it? Also i'm staying in Tokyo from june 20th to 23rd if anyone is around
>>
>>1124323
usually its old men in a regional dialect. so no.

im from caliornia. just about eery night i used to her gunshots outside my window. thanks mexico.
>>
>>1124294
If things like marriage and sending your eventual kids to college are things on your mind, then simply don't do TEFL. TEFL is really not for that kind of person. It's all about perspective. TEFL is a gap year gig or a or something to do in your 20s for a few years. If you're worried about those things like buying a house, and kids, just don't do it. Do something else.

At any rate, what TEFL job pays you 1,000 a month? Even the meme 250,000yen Japan standard works out to ~2,300 a month.

Your lack of completely typed words, capitalization and bitter tone makes me think you are person who lacks perspective, perhaps among other things in your life.

I've been doing this for 4 years as I said, and while persistent subset of people online consistently tell me how poor and miserable I apparently am or should be, the last 4 years have been the best of my life and better than university. We all want and value different things, and I think it depends who you are and what you want.
>>
>>1124305

-People usually start in Korea. Hardly anyone goes from Japan to Korea, usually the other way around. I guess either is fine. I'd actually advise Japan because employment is more stable. Korea has this problem with mom and pop English schools losing all their money and leaving teachers on the street. Also in Japan you own your visa while in Korea your employer does. In Japan, you can quit and still keep your visa.

-Unfortunately it matters--in both Korea and Japan pictures are required on Japan applications. Bogus but it is what it is. Good luck in that regard.

-I only have experience with Korea and Japan so I'll stick to those. I would recommend both with the right job.

-Generally speaking you'll be treated with kindness and respect. Koreans and Japanese are patriotic (especially Koreans) and they want foreigners to have a good impression of their country, so that when you return home you'll tell everyone how great Korea/Japan was.

-Yup, absolutely. Overall it's been positive. No regrets.

-I think so, yeah. Depends on a lot of course.

Continued....
>>
>>1124305
>>1124305

...continued

>Is the 'regularly drinking with coworkers after working hours' thing true when it comes to ESL?

Depends on what you mean by regularly I suppose, and everyone's experience might be different but I'd say I went to about 5 drinking dinner parties in my year at my school in Korea and maybe 6 in a year and half at my first job in Japan (none at my current job and probably never will). In Korea, the drinking after work culture can be brutal but this really applies more to like company men working at Samsung and stuff.

- What are your best/worst experiences when teaching ESL?

In Korea: Best was just the students in general. Especially the few students who were really into English, getting to know them and making an impact on them. But I liked all my students, even the ones who didn't care much or cut up. There was only one student at my school in Korea I legitimately did not like. Worst aspect was the large class sizes (around 35). In terms of specific experience, probably my school's winter festival was the best. Worst was the boy who got bullied and also has cancer (seriously), who found comfort in my presence and would come to the office to talk to me a lot. I liked him, but it was the worst because it was so painful for me. I wanted to make everything better for him.

In Japan: Best was again the students. It was nice having classes with adults as well as younger people. Worst aspect was the working hours and schedule. At my current job in Japan the best aspect is the working hours. Worst is a specific class of mine. All 4 year olds and they are hideously uninterested and misbehaved.
>>
So in about two weeks I am traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto. I will be spending about 8 days in Tokyo and 4 in Kyoto and in Tokyo I will live in the Shinjuku area. Anyway I have two questions

1. What are some /trv/ recommendations of what to do in Tokyo and what to taste?
2. I want to at least be able to speak a bit of Japanese before going, what are some good resources for it? I already know hiragana and katakana from a previous attempt to learn Japanese like a year ago, is there any reason to dust off my rusty reading skills?
>>
Is it possible as a Swede to teach English in Japan? My English is on a pretty decent level both orally and written and while I have no formal education in teaching I was a substitute teacher for a brief period of time and I was pretty good at it.
>>
>>1124360

no
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.