[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zion National Park
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
Some friends and I will be spending 1 night in Vegas, 3 nights in Zion National Park.

So far our game plan is to do the 1 overnight Zion Narrows (http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-narrows.htm), the epic 16 mile water hike down the Virgin River (We're all pretty experienced campers). Next day were planning on doing Angel's Landing during the morning, and maybe some other paths afterward, not too sure yet.

Anyone from that area have any other suggestions? Has anyone here done the Narrows? It's supposed to be like one of the greatest hikes in the world or something. The pictures look absolutely insane.

We also have an afternoon in Vegas unplanned so far, as well as the drive from Utah to Chicago at the end of the trip. All comments are welcome.
>>
>>1121491
The Narrows is amazing. Look up the subway as well.
>>
File: IMG_2399.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2399.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1121491
The subway is Awesome as fuck, look it up, you wont want to miss it.

Also I prefer Observation Point to Angels Landing, similar hikes, and Angels Landing may be a bit more treacherous, but the view at the end of Observation Point is better, its one of the best views ive ever seen after climbing a mountain, Angels Landing view will be similar but not as jaw dropping as Observation Point.

No words for looking down that canyon.

Pic related
>>
File: zion obsv point.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
zion obsv point.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
>>1121536
goddamn it my bad didn't mean to post a flipped image
>>
>>1121523
>>1121538

Thank you both for the input, I really appreciate if. I briefly researched both, the observation point definitely looks like a better day hike if it's got a better view. I remember reading about it.

The subway looks also really really cool (fucking dinosaur prints in the rocks?!?), although pretty challenging also since our group has no rock climbing experience... Can we do the bottom to top round-trip with no climbing gear? It seems to be pretty intense from what I'm reading about it
>>
I went to Zion 2 weeks ago and the narrows were closed due to high water levels. I only had 1 day in there anyways so I just walked around some short paths. It's an amazing place.
>>
>>1121631
Yeah we're going in August, gonna reserve our Narrows spots but if it's too wet for the flash flood to be in warning, we might have to improvise (which I'm not too worried about there's plenty of stuff to do there)
>>
File: bryce-canyon-vista-01-desktop.jpg (7 MB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
bryce-canyon-vista-01-desktop.jpg
7 MB, 3840x2400
Another great place to go would be Bryce Canyon, and it's only about 2 hours northeast of Springdale. (Only problem with it is there will be a ton of tourists there)
>>
>>1123065
My god thats beautiful.
>>
>>1121491
My time in zion was amazing. I hiked to Angels landing then up to the plateau into the wilderness, to a campsite in some long grass, then spent the next day chilling out at another camp near a spring in my hammock then the third day started hiking out and then found myself doing the hike to the subway and exploring the subway alone without rappelling gear, got a ride back up to cougar canyon with some asian dudes from cali so I could recover my bag and slept that night in the woods.
There's still so much to explore but I highly recommend going up to the campsites on the plateau and spending a couple of nights up in the wilderness of zion, I only saw 2 other people in 2 days and they were volunteer rangers.
>>
>>1123142
Sounds amazing dude. I definitely plan this stuff out too much in advance, sounds like you had a really chill impromptu visit. I'll definitely consider doing the wilderness exploration.

-----

@everyone in this thread, I fucked up on online reservation making, couldn't reserve a subway spot out 3 months in advance, couldn't get the overnight narrows reservation. The online system filled up the whole month of August in literally 1 hour.

My question is could we still explore the Subway without a permit? I've gotten many permits for many national parks, I never get asked for paperwork. And often times the "full" campsites are fucking empty, kinda pisses me off. I'm kinda a control freak but I think we're gonna plan on exploring the Subway even without a permit, if we get caught somehow we'll just plead ignorance like we got lost. Think we can get away with it at Zion, especially Subway? Seems to be a bit more of a popular Park...
>>
>>1124382
Like I said I did the subway alone, no permit, no gear. Start out at the wildcat canyon parking lot and just hike in, I got lucky because someone had scratched the word "subway" with a little arrow on a sign so I just went with it, followed the stacks of stones. You might get lucky and just join in on a group that's already doing it. If you're decently fit you should be able to just jump off the places where you should rappel, that's what I did.
>>
>>1124599
There's the bottom to top path that doesn't require rappelling, I was thinking more of sneaking in on that. I'm sure we can get away with it, just curious how many people have tried before.

So what do you think the odds were the you would have broken a bone on one of those jumps? Seems semi dangerous lol
>>
@OP I came in here to at least make sureyou knew about observation point. honestly it's cool that you're higher up and can kinda look down on angel's, but don't underestimate the appeal of the 360 degree view at angels landing. there's really nothing like it that i've ever seen, whereas observation point is really jus an overlook. it's possible to hike both in a day if you want (having done it) but you should probably just do 1 and chill. decide what you guys want
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.