[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there no cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: GP_HongKong.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1120) Image search: [Google]
GP_HongKong.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1120
Why are there no cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai in the US?
>>
>>1118673
Well there's Vancouver, which is near the US
>>
why are there no asian cities in the us?
what's your criteria?
there's new york, which has similar population density but i still don't know what you mean
>>
New York, LA, Boston, Miami
>>
>>1118673
Kys weeaboo
>>
>>1118673
Fat cunt who wants to go to Asia because he thinks women will treat him like a god detected.
>>
>>1118673
San Francisco is a lot like Hong Kong, in the sense that a significant portion of the population is yelling in Cantonese at any given time.
>>
>>1118673
Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai are all very different.

But to answer your question, cars, freeways and the anglo-saxon ideal of home ownership (American Dream, Australian Dream etc.) that prevented this from happening. If it wasn't for the immense urban sprawl of the Anglosphere, every major city in these countries would have a vibrant skyline.
>>
>>1118760
this. Honestly, as an American, it seems kind of crazy, and unappealing, that all of those people are literally living on top of each other. Even the dense places, like NYC, are actually looked down upon by most Americans outside of that area.
>>
>>1118769
Ted Cruz got little bump in the polls when he talked shit about New York, until he actually went to New York.
>>
>>1118769
And yet only the 1% of society can even afford to live in the Upper East Side. I lived in houses my whole life until I moved out and honestly living in an apartment is nice. When I lived with my parents I only used my room, the bathroom and the kitchen anyway so apartment life isn't much different. The community just feels more there, and it's mostly educated young people so the neighbourhood atmosphere is nice.
>>1118770
For some reason the biggest city in a country is always the nation's punching bag, and everyone in the city itself has a big complex about their status as residents of the Biggest City of their Country.
>>
>>1118772
yeah, every Thai I know not from Bangkok hates Bangkok, and Bangkok Thais are arrogant and look down on the rest of Thailand.

Anyways, I lived in an apartment before, No Va, don't think I ever will again, hated it.claustrophobic. I was too loud for my downstairs neighbors (so much for m 7 speaker sound system), my upstairs neighbors were too loud for me. Especially with young children, at the time. It sucked. Maybe I could retire to one. Or live there single or as a couple
>>
>>1118769
It's rather repulsive way of living. Endless rows of houses that look excactly the same, huge areas without any services or even fucking sidewalks, might aswell be after an apocalypse. Small streets connect to bigger streets and finally to highways where people can drive into soulless super-mega-ultra markets to do their shopping.
I grew up in an apartment building, my parents always just paid rent, we never had a car and we did shopping in the centre of town, my parents are normal middle-class people, no artsy stuff or hippie bullshit just basic, european, (finnish to be precise) urban dwellers, living the same way people have lived here for houndreds of years before.
>>
>>1118780
>and Bangkok Thais are arrogant and look down on the rest of Thailand.
True, except BKKians also complain about the traffic, weather, and (sometimes) prices.
>>
>>1118677
Vancouver doesn't belong in this conversation. It's a smaller San Francisco, not comparable to Tokyo or Seoul.
>>
>>1118769
I like it. It feels much more like a community than American suburbs do. You see your neighbors almost every day and you get to know them all at least a little bit. American sprawl makes people isolated and lonely.
>>
>>1118673

Hipsters/hippies/libtards are why we don't have safe, clean, bustling, great modern cities like those.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1[1].jpg (91 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1[1].jpg
91 KB, 1000x1000
>>1118831
t. retard
>>
>>1118831
Might be some truth to that....San Fran could easily morph into a city much like Singapore but certain laws and attitudes make that unlikely.
>>
>>1118914
>San Fran could easily turn into a city like singapore

A. No, it is far to spread out as it is

B. No, as mentioned previously it is in american cultural need to own a detached house.
And this cultural ideal is supported much more by the right wing than the left.

>>1118831
Hippies, hipsters and libtards are the only reason anything is safe or clean.
>>
>>1118914
It's conservative laws and attitudes that view cities as "corrupt", are biased towards the automobile, and think that everyone should be forced into cookie-cutter homes with no other options.

Also they are the ones that abandoned the city in the first place and now they blame decay on minorities or something.
>>
>>1118677
Huehuehue
>>
>>1118769
I don't see how people live without a backyard

I spend more time in my backyard than I do anywhere else in my house
>>
>>1119113
>forced into cookie cutter homes with no other options

yeah, because the housing options in New York or San Francisco are so vast. All the $2000/m 600sqft apartments your heart could desire

You could build your own neighborhood for the price it would take to own a nice piece of property in one of those cities
>>
>>1119113
Terrific.... a clueless idiot with an axe to grind.

>>1119113
San Francisco is known for its conservative laws and attitudes? Careful -- you're straying into full retard territory,
>>
>>1118682
>boston
> the city where i dead ass left a fold up chair to claim the parking space I dug out not even 3 months ago
>as big as or as futuristic as tokyo, hk or others mentioned
>>
>>1119379
>Careful -- you're straying into full retard territory,

And this whole thread is straying pretty far afield from travel.

I'd recommend we stop feeding them.

>Thank you based Hide Button
>>
>>1119371
and do what with it?

I've lived here for three years and never opened the door from the dining room since we toured the house as perspective buyers.
>>
>>1118798

Woosh
>>
>>1119113
what the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>1118677
He means that Vancouver has a lot of Asian people in it. We call it Hongcuver
>>
>>1119394
>dead ass
New Yorker confirmed
>>
>>1118760
Why do you say urban sprawl is an Anglosphere phenomenon?
>>
>>1119676
Literally everyone says this up and down the entire east coast
>>
>>1119712
Only the North East
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.