[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I'm planning my first trip to europe, hopefully to happen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: eurotrip1.0.png (332 KB, 1133x714) Image search: [Google]
eurotrip1.0.png
332 KB, 1133x714
so I'm planning my first trip to europe, hopefully to happen late august-december of this year. I'll be backpacking and mostly taking trains/public transport or short flights. I'd like some outside perspective because honestly the route looks like kind of a mess right now (to be fair this mapping program is shit) and also I have no idea what i'm doing. so, if this were your trip, what would you add/cut from it?
also just general advice for backpacking europe I guess.
>>
File: outline1.0.png (39 KB, 604x689) Image search: [Google]
outline1.0.png
39 KB, 604x689
here's the actual rough outline since i realize that map is really shit
>>
>>1117291
- I'd spend less time in England on this trip, London'll be enough
- Paris is largely an Arab/Gipsy tourist trap these days, just saying. (I seriously thought I woke up in Kabul last time I got off the bus in Montmartre)
- Skip Luxembourgh, nothing to see there
- For the love of god skip Brussels, any Belgian will concur, have Antwerp as your base instead, and see Bruges and Ghent, and the coast from there
- Amsterdam is fun, go to Haarlem or up north in the province to see something else of Holland, 4 days may be too long, given everything else you wanna see, but the Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht aren't interesting to a foreign tourist imo
- Köln/Aachen/Rhine isn't the most interesting to see on such a tour, just saying
- Don't skip the Atlantic coast, in France, Spain or Portugal would be good
- 8 days in Switzerland might be a bit long, and expensive
- Slovenia is beautiful, but a bit of an odd egg in your list
- Bratislava?
- I don't go nowhere near Turkey, given the political situation right now.. Greece is very much affected by the refugee and economic crisis as well.
- I'd strongly recommend Spain, Mediteranean France and Portugal for a first European experience over places like Bosnia, Albania and Greece

Also, your route is indeed a bit weird. What transportation will you be using?

And don't forget to see the beautiful European nature and landscape, it's more than just big, old cities.

Source: Dutchfag who's been around Europe for quite a bit
>>
Dublin is a good starting point and 2-3 days are okay. And in general there is nothing wrong with the places you want to visit. But you make the same mistake as most "first trip to Europe" guys. You rush it.
You want to spend 2 days "in a region". Sounds good. But you will end up spending one day to arrive and one day to depart and have no day left to actually see something. So better slow down a bit and at cut half of your targets from your list. Or more.
Think about your priorities. Where do you really want to go? What is essential? What is just nice to have?

If you travel by train it's smart to include at least one scenic route.
http://www.eurail.com/europe-by-train/scenic-trains
This way you can enjoy beautiful landscape while travelling.
>>
i'll clarify that i'm probably not pre-booking anything besides the eurail pass and the flight in so these aren't going to be set in stone or anything, if i feel like i need more time somewhere once i'm there i'll just stay, this is just some rough planning

>>1117304

-ehhh I realize most of it is pretty touristy, but i'd still like to at least see oxford and maybe another city as well, maybe even stonehenge (pls no bully). London itself seems like it would take at least 4-5 days but idk.
-Paris isn't really optional for me but i'll keep that in mind lol
-i might just make Luxembourg a day stop or something, i'm just not sure from where. it just seems so cute >.<
-eh maybe, i could just stop in Brussels i suppose. there isn't really anything specific i wanted to see in Belgium besides maybe some museums, i just want to get a feel for the country
-the Hague just interested me for the historical sites, what would you recommend in Haarlem?
- is there somewhere else in western Germany you would recommend instead or do you think i should just stick to Munich + Berlin?
-I could make a day trip from Paris to somewhere on the coast I guess?
-yeah i'm still not entirely sure about what exactly i'm doing in Switzerland, again I just wanted to get a good feel for it
-i mean i guess it's a little less visited then the others, but that's part of the appeal
-yeah idk now that i'm looking into it it might be better as a day trip from Vienna, i just didn't want slovakia to feel left out >.<
- is it really unsafe in eastern turkey and greece? there's a lot of stuff i want to see there. plus its pretty cheap
-i made the decision to save Spain + Portugal (also northern europe) for another trip because i didn't think i'd have time to "do them justice", i would very much like to see them, i just don't want to have to rush. maybe I could stop in southern France but idk. probably not staying in Bosnia or Albania, just passing through.

(1/2) (wow this was longer than i expected)
>>
>>1117304

anyways as I said in the op, i'll be taking mostly trains and the occasional cheap flight/boat/bus, i can't drive.

and I will certainly try to see the landscape as much as possible, although its probably harder without a car. at the very least i will see it through train windows lol. if you have any recommendations though i'd love to hear them.

>>1117307

yeah i realize its a lot, but there's just a lot that i really want to see >.<

most of the stops are only a couple hours apart, so hopefully it won't take up too much of the day, or i could just take a night train. idk if i can cut half of it though, my priorities are mostly just all the major cities i guess, but i feel like i might get bored if i were just spending 1-2 weeks each in 10 cities or so. but maybe i wouldn't?

and i'm definitely taking at least a couple of those scenic routes, probably the swiss + german ones

(2/2)
>>
>>1117291
I'll say the cities I know:
>Milan
Try to reserve a visit to The Last Supper the most advanced as possible. And I think you'll need 3 days only to Milan, because
>Cinque Terre
Demands a single day.
>Slovenia
Although Ljubljana is a tiny city, I regret not had stayed more there
>Budapest
4 days are enough.
>Bratislava
Ok.
>Vienna
As I saw, you will not have budget problems, so I would consider you to stay an extra day there
>Prague
Maybe another day?
>Croatia
I know only Zagreb and I recommend you to stay at maximum 2 days there. The city is beautiful, but quite boring, I don't know the coastline but it is in my plans.
Also, why not Iberian Peninsula?
>>
File: outline1.1.png (39 KB, 677x638) Image search: [Google]
outline1.1.png
39 KB, 677x638
very minor changes since i still can't really decide

>>1117351

(pls stop bullying bratislava guys i'm sure its a very nice place >.<)

thanks for the tip about the last supper, will do

i did add a day to Vienna, could maybe add another i suppose

is there any specific reason you think Prague needs 5 days or do you just really like it?

yeah I would definitely be spending most of my time in Croatia on the coast, might just stop in Zagreb.

and as I said above, i'm skipping the Iberian peninsula because i don't think i'll have time to do it well and i don't want to have to rush too much. also i'd like to speak better spanish so i could get more out of it. hopefully after i do south america i can come back.
>>
>>1117290
Well Paris aside you aren't going to see much interesting things in France
>>
>>1117374
Luxembourg is not cute, and you will regret it. It's a tax shelter for European arms of international corporations. They're otherwise famous for a bean and ham stew. Whoopty-fucking-do. Do yourself a favour and drop it.

Heidelberg is a bit touristy, but it may interest you. I'd recommend some smaller cities in proper Germany, since (for different reasons) Berlin isn't really Germany, nor is Munich. Maybe stop off in Münster, NRW for a couple days.

Unless you plan to ski, Innsbruck is not super exciting.

I honestly think you're trying to do way too much, even over a longer period. I don't see how this would be enjoyable in the slightest. At some point you're going to feel either bored or overwhelmed.

Perhaps try to get in a WWOOFing gig here or there just to do something differnt.
>>
>>1117376

...did you mean that there's nothing interesting outside Paris or that there is and i'm missing it? unclear wording lel. i definitely plan on coming back to france after, i just thought paris would be a good first taste.

>>1117391

i mean ok, but its only a couple hours out of the way and i'll be using a train day anyways. i'll just wait and see how i'm feeling that day i guess.

Heidelberg looks just about perfect actually, thank you. I will try to fit that in.

yeah i think i'll probably just go with Salzburg

I...don't really know how to respond to this? how would you propose making it "enjoyable" then? the prospect of farm labor doesn't immediately sound enjoyable to me but maybe? its just that this is my first time out of my country and i really want to see as much as possible, i know i can't see everything, but i think i can cover a good amount of ground and still have fun. idk.
>>
>>1117405
Rookie mistake to try doing too much in one trip. Don't imagine that you'll never travel again. Unless you have terminal cancer? Probably not though.

Different people like different things, and I'm not you. Still, if it were me, a pretty seasoned traveller, I'd focus more on regions and exploring them over a couple weeks, rather than zipping between touristy city to touristy city for 4 months. You'll be spending half your time on trains and buses and shit (it gets old quick), and then cramming in major tourist attractions at each place. At some point, you're going to get tired and blasé of the routine.

You don't really get much of 'feel' for a place by visiting its tourist attractions and walking its main shopping streets and then promptly leaving to do it again at another big city. This isn't what most locals do on a daily basis.

That's why I suggest something that will give you an excuse to spend longer in a place. WWOOF aren't always heavy farm labour either. If you're too NEET to lift a shovel, then take cooking classes or dancing, or art history or some shit. What are your hobbies and interests?
>>
File: bamberg12321.jpg (2 MB, 2559x1446) Image search: [Google]
bamberg12321.jpg
2 MB, 2559x1446
>>1117290
>>1117291
As a Bavarian:
-Skip Innsbruck
-Cut the Rhineland down. Not much of interest there.
-Instead add Bamberg to the list
-Use the other days for Vienna, Munich or Nuremberg or add a day to visit Regensburg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mASs1eQgZZw), Würzburg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzhTur2lwMw) or Passau (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbEZu3divM) which is directly between Vienna and Munich and could be visited if you want to take a six hour rest from train travelling
>>
>>1117376
Simply not true, rather, most interesting/impressive about France is outside of Paris (or any other major city in France).
Notably, the atlantic coast, mediterranean coast and pyrenees, also the beautiful medieval cities like carcassone or mt st michel, the countryside and vinyards, etc.
>>
>>1117423

well, as i said, if i get tired i can just slow down for awhile, i'm just brainstorming the best places for me to ~plan~ to go to so i will atleast have an idea. i accept that i probably won't get to all of it.

i don't exactly want to just "zip between touristy cities" but i'm dependent on the rail system to idk. hopefully i can take day trips from the cities to ~explore regions~, but i'm still not entirely sure what that means.

i was planning to maybe take cooking lessons in Paris, but beyond that i'm not really sure how many classes are available in english on a day or weekly type basis around europe. i could sign up for german lessons or something i guess? or i could just try wwoofing for a few days or something and see how i like it, i was originally under the impression you had to make longer commitments.

don't have that many hobbies or interests that could be pursued very well on the road (rip vidya), i really like history and museums but i'll be going to lots of those anyways, although i'd love more suggestions on that front.

>>1117439

-done
-ehh i could cut it down by a day or two i guess, but
-....any specific reason for those places? they're certainly very pretty, but so are many of the other towns and cities i was going to stop in

>>1117455

agreed, hopefully i'll be able to come back and explore the country in depth some day
>>
>>1117405
>>1117455

No, I didn't mean paris is the only interesting thing. I'm French myself, Paris isn't even my favorite part.
I meant with that particular road he isn't going to see much interesting French stuff outside of Paris
>>
>>1117290
>>1117304
Don't listen to this anon about England, London is fine for tourists for a day or two, but it's nothing like the rest of England and you'll be missing out if you just go to London.

There is plenty to do here, I would advise that you don't just go from city to city. Cities are wormholes here, the real England is in the countryside. Hire a car and stop at pubs for lunch, go to historical sites, stately homes Tec.
>>
>>1117331
Go to Brugge instead of Brussels m8, lovely place.
>>
>>1117475
'explore regions' means exactly that. You stay in a region for longer than 3 days, and only explore it. Either staying in one city as a base, or moving short 1-2 hour distances every couple days to see the next town over.

Everyone travels different, but that's how I'd do it. Seeing your map and list already gives me a queasy feeling, but perhaps you don't really understand what I mean.

If you really have no interests, then I guess that's your issue. About time you grew up and left video games behind and developed some offline interests. Just looking at tourist sites in each city, even if it is all new and exotic for you, will get tiring pretty quick.

English is the world's lingua franca. There'll shit in English almost anywhere you go, so I wouldn't worry.
>>
>>1117544
Agree, England has a nice countryside, so has continental Europe, but would you advise a foreign tourist on his first trip to Europe to go there?
He's already been to Ireland and Scotland at that point, with the whole Keltic pub-experience.
And on his way from Scotland to London, he's bound to see enough of it anyway.
And where exactly are you thinking of? Maybe a place like Bath?
And what historical sites? There's some castles and roman ruins, but continental Europe has more and more impressive historical sites imo.
>>
>>1117475
>-....any specific reason for those places? they're certainly very pretty, but so are many of the other towns and cities i was going to stop in
Bamberg's old town is UNESCO world heritage because of its huge historical significance and beauty.
So is the old town of Regensburg.

Bamberg is a must if you visit Bavaria, right after Munich and Nuremberg. The other cities are pretty but with less history and less interesting stuff. I dont know where youre priorities are but if you find a free day, or if your train is going through one of them, pay them a visit. It certainly wont hurt.

On a second though: Make it Bamberg, Nuremberg, Munich. Scrap Salzburg and leave Innsbruck there and take a day to hike up to one of the mountains. Some nature is probably what you need after three weeks of cities.
>>
>>1117374
But I've enjoyed Bratislava, mainly the Old Town narrow streets (and mainly after have visited Genoa last April). It is just not as majestic as Vienna and not as beautiful as Prague.

Some people recommend me Freiburg, Germany, too. It is close to French border. But i don't know there.
>>
>>1117304
Agree with everything you said until you said to avoid Bosnia and Greece. Those arein my top 5 favourite European countries that I've been to

My 5 are

Greece
Serbia
Bosnia
Spain
Italy
>>
File: outline1.2.png (40 KB, 616x654) Image search: [Google]
outline1.2.png
40 KB, 616x654
>>1117569

>'explore regions' means exactly that. You stay in a region for longer than 3 days, and only explore it. Either staying in one city as a base, or moving short 1-2 hour distances every couple days to see the next town over.

thats....mostly what i'm already doing? there aren't too many stops with fewer than 3 days on my list, and they could be easily removed/lengthened, it's just the deciding between them thats hard. you managed to type a lot of words without actually saying anything, so i'll give you that.

>>1117546

yeah i'm thinking i'll just stop in Brussels and then stay in either Bruges or Antwerp, not sure yet

>>1117544

what historical sites would you recommend outside of London? i was going to spend a night in Bath and maybe one in Oxford or Cambridge but beyond that i'm not sure

>>1117582

I suppose i should mention that i am in fact a 'she', in case that changes anything/anyone has any specific advice. currently i'm only really worried about turkey on that front, western europe seems safer than most american cities.

but anyways yeah, that was mostly my logic with staying primarily in London.

>>1117611

alright I'm convinced, I will try to spend at least a day there, thank you.

not entirely sure about skipping Salzburg entirely, some of the cultural/historical stuff seems pretty cool, but i will definitely make some time for plenty of hiking/outdoorsy day trips where ever i can.
>>
>>1117782
I said LONGER than 3 days, geinus. Lrn2read. That means a week or two, minimum. And no, your plan looks to be focussed on big name tourist attractions before zipping a couple hundred kilometres or more to a different city.

You're still in this mode of thinking... travelling several hours to to arrive noonish at best, hit up the main attractions, sleep and the next morning do the same. I'm trying to help you bud.

Well, it's your holiday, you're not me, etc. etc. whatever. Just don't be surprised when you don't find it fun anymore after a month or so.

>i am in fact a 'she'
that explains a lot...

>planning to travel around Turkey completely alone while being an obvious travel n00b
you gon' get raped.
>>
>>1117800

>I said LONGER than 3 days, geinus. Lrn2read
>geinus

kek

"longer than 3 days" does not actually mean "a week or two, minimum", but ok

you still have not made any actual suggestions of places to go instead of "big name tourist attractions", besides farm work that won't even actually be available in most places now that i've checked, since this trip is in autumn.

i might just end up signing up for cheap group tours in turkey, because that part does genuinely concern me, even though other solo women online say they were fine, i'm not sure i want to risk it.
>>
>>1117805
OMG YOU CAUGHT AN OBVIOUS TYPO OFF BY ONE LETTER, THAT INVALIDATES EVERYTHING SAID.

Is your family sending you away? I wouldn't be surprised...

Regardless of your failure to comprehend the English language, I said *longer* than three days. I already suggested before staying longer in a region and exploring it. Try putting 2 and 2 together.

>farm work not available in autumn
Ask a farmer about that... Do you actually have ANY idea how anything works in the real world? Just how old are you? Are you that nutjob from Hong Kong?

Besides, it was just a suggestion of other things to do besides pure tourism. I am not you, I cannot know what interests you. I'm not going to sit here for the next week feeding you suggestions while you snottily reject everything. Figure it out yourself. You said you have no hobbies or interests, so that's not much help. You said you don't like work, so then give that a miss, I don't care. The point is, if you're going to be away that long, you need to find something that interests you to keep you going -- because 'same shit, different place' is not going to be fun after a while. Travel fatigue is a thing.
>>
>>1117290
>1117290

Dude, just get a friend and wing that shit. You'll have the most fun doing that. I ended up in Poland for a few days, and I'm currently having a fucking blast.

Spoken from a traditional overplanner.
>>
>>1117813

I was pointing out the hypocrisy in calling me stupid while misspelling the word "genius" lol, jesus christ you are triggered.

they are not, they are very travel averse and don't want me to go, this is just a decision i'm making on my own

>Try putting 2 and 2 together.

...no, you're still not offering any actual advice. you're not advising *which* regions you would stay longer in and what exactly you'd do, you're just insulting me and repeating the same meaningless shit

>Ask a farmer about that... Do you actually have ANY idea how anything works in the real world? Just how old are you? Are you that nutjob from Hong Kong?

https://www.wwoof.de/index.php?article_id=116&clang=1 i only searched on here but i realize maybe they just don't put offers that far in advance, still i would think work would be scarcer in October/November. I just turned 19 and am from the us, i admit to being generally clueless about most things but at least i'm not a dick about it.

The entire point of posting this on here was to get suggestions, i haven't "snottily rejected" anything so far. I did figure it out myself, i designed the entire itinerary, now i'm just looking for outside feedback from people with more experience. I did not say i did not have any hobbies or interests, I just said I didn't think I could take them on the road very well. I like cooking and history and music and art and i'll be perusing those in those god awful "tourist trap cities".

Anyways, its pretty clear at this point you do not want to engage in any meaningful or helpful dialogue, so you're welcome to just fuck off honestly, no ones getting anything from this.

>>1117822

man I wish I had a friend who could go on this with me, that would be dope. In all likelihood I will end up mostly winging it, I just like having a rough outline in my head so I don't end up feeling overwhelmed by all the choices.
>>
>>1117824
A typo is not a misspelling. Are you 12? Do you laugh when your teacher drops her pencil?

> you're not advising *which* regions you would stay longer in and what exactly you'd do
I AM NOT YOU, I AM NOT YOUR PERSONAL TRAVEL AGENT, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT INTERESTS YOU. How many times do I have to say it's for you to decide? Do some research yourself. Go to a book store and read some travel guides. Your itinerary needs work, which at least you realize.

This thread makes it pretty clear that the things I'd do, and the regions I'd explore, are not the same as you (thank god). Further, your attitude doesn't exactly make me want to pull out my travel journals and compare notes.

I've only lived in Europe for 7 years and been across most of it.

>at least i'm not a dick about it.
No, instead you're an entitled and clueless little cunt. Millennials are just the worst.
>>
>>1117832

A typo is by definition a misspelling

>I AM NOT YOU, I AM NOT YOUR PERSONAL TRAVEL AGENT, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT INTERESTS YOU. How many times do I have to say it's for you to decide? Do some research yourself.

your current assblasted state aside, this is what this board is for. This is research. I am asking people for their personal recommendations, as many other posters do every day. I am not sure what it is about me in particular that so personally offends you.

>This thread makes it pretty clear that the things I'd do

I can't exactly tell which of all of the posts are yours, i can only assume the Heidelberg one, which i did in fact add to my list. beyond that "this thread" doesn't actually make that clear at all?

My "attitude" has really only been in response to yours, i don't really know how else to respond to such randomly abrasive posts on a fairly anodyne subject.

>muh millenials

technically i'm gen z ;), but if this is how gen x/whatever the fuck you are acts then i'm glad i don't have to deal with them much, i do not understand how a 35+ year old gets this pissy on an anonymous mongolian basket weaving travel board
>>
>>1117290
From what I've skimmed so far, OP, you're kind of shitty.

You literally have ignored EVERYONE'S advices. Why bother asking???

You seem like you have no genuine interests/hobbies and want to go to all these places so you can claim you'e been there. You're fucking lame. Why don't you really thoroughly get to know couple regions, get to know the locals, and have fun instead of trying to hit up a bunch of places?

Oh right. Because you're a stubborn retard who won't listen.
>>
>>1117782
>not entirely sure about skipping Salzburg entirely, some of the cultural/historical stuff seems pretty cool, but i will definitely make some time for plenty of hiking/outdoorsy day trips where ever i can.
Then make its Salzburg+Mountains but one day of hiking should definitely be in if youre in the region.
>>
>>1117868

...when did i ignore anyone's advice? i either added it to my itinerary or i explained why it didn't interest me.

i have plenty of interests, i'm going to those places in part to pursue them (history, cultures, art), please check your reading comprehension

i suspect this is just >>1117832 samefagging and trying to appear objective, but congrats, you successfully baited me

if you have any actual specific recommendations I will indeed listen and respond to them, as i have with all others, but i suspect you don't.

>>1117870

will do, do you have a favorite mountain or area to recommend around there ?
>>
>>1117877
Nope. I'm not. I said I skimmed. I wrote earlier but accidentally closed the tab. Its not my fault people don't like you lmao
>>
>>1117880

ok sure m8. i really do not want to be liked by people like you anyways, so i'm taking it as a compliment v^-^v

your skimming skills need work lel
>>
>>1117884
whatever helps u sleep and ew.... you're so gross lmao.

>"lel"
>V^_^V
>puke
>>
>>1117888

ditto my dude ;)

lmao
>>
File: Screen Shot 2016-05-22.png (125 KB, 828x513) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot 2016-05-22.png
125 KB, 828x513
>>1117847
You answer exactly as I'd expect an entitled arrogant child to do. You're millennial as fuck.

>>1117877
>samefags everywhere, I can't possibly be wrong!
pic related.

Out of curiosity, who's paying for your 4 month on-the-go jaunt through Europe? Mummy and daddy? Or did you come into the trust fund just now?
>>
>>1117290
Dublin
- 2 Days is enough. Not as charming as it used to
Scotland
- Stick to the west coast due to your timelimit. Glasgow, through Loch Lomond NP, up to Oban, to Skye and back
England
- Stick to London for 4 days
Paris
- 5 days is more than enough
Luxembourgh
- Ok, but a potential skip
Amsterdam
- Consider Utrecht instead of The Hague.
Switzerland
- 5 days is fine. Spend the other 2 or so in the French Alps, around Annecy. From there, go to Switzerland
Slovenia
- Spend a day in Piran, one in Ljubljana (consider Postonja caves, Skocjan caves or both en route), 2 or 3 in Bled/Bohinj and see Vintgar and Triglav NP
Munich
- Spend at least a day or 2 in Schonau Am Konigssee, just under Munich in the Bavarian alps
Bratislava
- 1 Day is enough
Croatia
- Stay away from Istria and focus on places around Zadar instead. Krka, Pag, Kornati etc. Plitvice is a must, be there very early to avoid horrible crowds.
Greece
- Consider a week on Zakynthos
Turkey
- Why so long? In fact, why at all?
>>
>>1118069

finally some actual advice, thank you

>Scotland

alright, do you think i should take some days from England to be able to see Edinburgh in that case? or is there somewhere else in England you'd recommend seeing instead?

>Paris
I was just going to rent an apartment for a week and maybe try to see some of the country in day trips. idk i'd rather have too much time than too little

>Urecht
why?

>Switzerland

yeah i'm still not entirely sure what i want to do there, beyond Geneva and Zurich. there's a lot of smaller towns that look really interesting but i'm not sure which one(s) to pick

Annecy looks very pretty, not a lot of historical/cultural sites that i can see, but it would probably be nice to just take a break at that point anyways

>Slovenia

alright if i do end up stopping there, that sounds like a good itinerary. why Piran though?

> Schonau Am Konigssee

looks very nice for a nature break, idk if i could swing a full 2 days, but maybe

>Croatia

I was just going to stop in Zagreb and then stay in either Split or Dubrovnik, and daytrip to Plitvice. i'm not sure how bad the crowds will be since its going to be off-season, but i'll try to get there early.

>Zakynthos

had not heard of it before, certainly looks nice, but why there in particular? i'm not really sure where i'd like to visit beyond Athens + maybe some historical sites/ruins, Santorini looks beautiful but i hear its overcrowded with tourists

>Turkey

idk I thought I'd need at least 4-5 days for Istanbul, then Ephesus, Pamukkale, Bodrum, Lycia, Cappadocia, mayyyybe Ankara, just to fly out of. Again, mostly just historical/cultural sites and nature. but the political/social situation does concern me and i may end up having to cut it down/out. or joining a group tour i guess.

wew that was a lot
>>
>>1118058

>>1118058

ok, so words don't have meanings, "millennial" just means anyone younger than you doing things you dislike, and somehow i'm "wrong" for asking for advice from a travel advice board. got it, thanks for the quality post, have a nice day.

and i have inheritance from my dad + grandparents passing, in addition to my own savings. in retrospect your seemingly random anger towards me kind of just looks like jealousy over being able to do this in the first place, so.....sorry? maybe put your anger towards something a little more constructive next time.
>>
Just go and don't worry. You are free to stay a day longer in a region if you feel like it. You are also free to move on and leave a place if you don't like it.
It's smart to have more then just a list of cites. Also make a list of things you would like to do on your trip. Like visit a castle, museum, park, festival, market, go shopping, climb a mountain, make a boat trip, spend a day at the beach. Stuff like that.
>>
>>1118323
Need a hanky for those tears? Did your relatives drive off a cliff together to get away from you?

And jealousy? lel. I'm not really into empty anonymous ego-stroking on the internet, but I have too nice of a life to be jealous of some little snotty cunt.
>>
>>1118321
>England/Scotland
I've been to Scotland 5 times and Edinburgh is the one big one I haven't seen. Not too familiar with Northern England, although the lake district is said to be nice.
>Paris
Rather too much because Paris IS amazing. Despite all the downsides of African street salesmen, crowds, being a cliche and what not, it's still just one of those cities you can't be too long. However, on a trip like yours I'd rather visit more locations and decide where to go back to later.
>Utrecht
Because it's less crowded and just a lovely place to be. It has a more authentic vibe imo. Mind you, you can't go wrong with The Hague or (despite the same objections as Paris and also stoned tourists) Amsterdam. In the Netherlands also check out places like Zaanse Schans or Kinderdijk. Maybe Edam, Volendam or Haarlem. Or Delft. With public transport, any of them are great day trips from Amsterdam or The Hague for that matter.
>Switzerland
Geneva is nice, but no more than a day. Maybe look up places like Grindelwald or Interlaken.
>Annecy
Just a great place to chill on the lake and walk through the small medieval center. It's a good stop between Paris and Switzerland.
>Piran
It's a small and absolutely beautiful fishing village. It's been a colony of Venice for years and is built in that style too. You can litterally see it all in a day. The square and harbor, the lighthouse, the church on the hill and the old city wall. Have fresh seafood lunch on the small boulevard. I love it.
>Schonau
It's also a good moment to visit the Eagles Nest on the Obersalzerg. Hitler's old mountain retreat. There's some great short hikes like the Almbachklamm and the Wilbachklamm. Boat trip on the lake and a drink in the biergarten and you're done.
<end of part 1>
>>
>>1118321
>Croatia
I liked Zadar more than Split. Split is bigger and has a great historic palace, but it's also more busy and touristy. The old town in Zadar is really nice. I did a daytrip to Plitvice from there too. Krka is en-route between Zadar and Split.
>Zakynthos
Much greener than most Greek islands. Nice monestry in the mountains. The place to be to see the Karetta Karetta seaturtles (book a trip with an agency like Nefis. It also has the most famous beach in Greece with Shipwreck Beach. Also do-able with Nefis and often combined with the Blue Caves. The Keri lighthouse is also a nice visit. Zakynthos is a great 5 days or so.
>>
>>1118681
>Utrecht
Maybe I was there the wrong time of year (late summer, students all gone?), but it felt like a ghost town and not so exciting. It's got some canals, some cafes and shops on the lower canal (you know what I mean), a shopping street... and... so what? A little over-hyped IMO.

I actually liked Arnhem better, though I guess that's not a tourist city at all.
>>
>>1117782
You should really skip istanbul, way too touristy, go to some villages near the black sea and maybe visit Ankara.
>>
>>1118681
Edinburgh is a UNESCO world heritage site and well worth the visit. Glagow while larger and improved relatively recently still has some pretty iffy areas.

The Lake District is beautiful, but public transport is comparitively poor and on the same trip as Switzerland probably doesn't warrant the time.

The North of the England has a lot of industrial revolution remains. So if early works, railways or canals are of interest then there is plenty to see but more information on specific interests is needed for recommendations.

Depending on inclination London has enough to keep one amused for weeks, art galleries, museums, architecture, culture, history....

For Switzerland trips out from Geneva are better than the city, a trip on the steamer along Lake Geneva is well worth while. Amongst others along the lake Chateau Chillon is worth a visit. From Geneva, Zermatt and the Matterhorn are also within train day trip distance.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.