[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: IMG_5017.jpg (181 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5017.jpg
181 KB, 1000x667
New Japan General:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1113177
>>
>>1116414
Thanks for the reply, I am also staying for two weeks by the way so am I obligated to write down all of the addresses or should just the first lodging suffice?
>>
>>1116442
yeah if you don't they notice when you stop going to the same place and hunt you down to deport you
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1198x762) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1198x762
Please post restaurant names you enjoyed while in Tokyo so I can enjoy them too!

Pic related: meme pancakes from Aoyama Garden
>>
>friends are in glorious nippon at this moment

Why can't I hold all this envy
>>
>>1116459
丹波亭 in Nishishinjuku for Okonomiyaki.
Osaka Ohsho at Kabukicho, they've got a kickass Gyoza set meal.
山角 in Kitazawa, amazing Karaage, might be difficult without Japanese though.
天婦羅 いもや in Takadanobaba, Tempura fried right in front of you by an old couple. Setmeal is fire.
宇奈とと for delicious Unagi. They've got branches all over Tokyo, I've been at the one in Nakano, very close to the broadway.
>>
>>1116473
Also, Pomu no ki seems to be very popular when it comes to Omurice.
>>
>>1116473
I appreciate it, thanks a lot for your insight!
>>
>>1116477
If it's not too far for you, check out Shibamata. Beautiful small neighborhood with an iconic station and candy store. You can also stock up on Mochi there.
>>
>>1116453
Not sure if this is a serious response
>>
>>1116478
>>1116476

Thank you!
>>
thinking of exploring Tohoku (northern Honshu) for a couple weeks on a big trip later this year, anyone know what are some nice natural places to visit around there? rice fields would be sugoi
>>
File: wer3345234.jpg (112 KB, 650x432) Image search: [Google]
wer3345234.jpg
112 KB, 650x432
Hey folks.
I'm going to be travelling to Nanao, in Ishikawa prefecture, for two weeks in September for a business event (hooray Rotary).
I read through the sticky, which was quite helpful, but I'm curious if there's anything else you folks can suggest that I keep in mind. Most of my time will be occupied with work, but I'll have a bit of free time to wander around. Already have some places in mind, thanks to some travel guides, but I'm wondering if you folks have any suggestions.

I know it's probably not the most common of destinations, so chances are I wont get a lot of info, but it looks like a comfy place.
>>
how the fuck you guys get money to go to japan, a flight alone is like $1k
>>
>>1116459
pretty much any restaurant is awesome in Tokyo, dont go out of your way to zero in on a specific one, just go exploring because thats the way to truly find out what you like the most. I personally love the restaurants where you are given raw meat that you cook yourself on a little grill in the middle of your table.
>>
>>1116545
Put aside money. 10 dollars a day, 15, 20 whatever. Eventually you will have saved enough money. Japan can be relatively to sleep and eat and find free things to do. So money doesn't light itself on fire. Also if you are not autistic find a girl to hang out with and maybe she will treat you or let you shack up with her if she has her own place.
>>
i'm going to be in japan for my first time next week. my plan is to be in kyoto for about 8 days straight. will i run out of things to do? i generally like staying in one spot for about a week to soak it all in, but i keep reading 4 days max is enough.

also, i'm planning to sleep in kansai airport my first night there. is this a bad idea? will they question me if i just post up in a corner somewhere?
>>
>>1116548

i have about $2k saved up, that shit is gonna be impossible. it's already 1k per flight.
>>
>>1116486

I told the fucking guy I was staying at my girlfriend's house "near Asagaya station". He asked two more times, let me through and nothing happened.

Stop worrying about nothing you fucking faggot.
>>
>>1116142
jacking up home prices by selling to forgiens is wrong. That is exzactly what the baby boomer generation did.
http://www.amazon.com/Pinch-Boomers-Childrens-Future-Should/dp/1848872321
Japan has a huge young adult homeless problem
see here:
[YouTube] Stacey Dooley - Coming here soon - Fall of the Rising Sun, Japan Episode 3 of 3 (embed)
Honestly I'd rather they give cut rates for their own then charge you anything.
>>
>>1116569
link fixed, I'm retarded
https://youtu.be/-3-39gRXFy0
>>
>>1116551
I'm saving up too.

Keep at it mang.

We'll go together.
>>
Wheres a good place to visit in Japan for a musician?
>>
>>1116551
I did 2 months in Japan with $2k including flights. Just put money away and stop spending as much on non-essentials.
>>
Quick trv! I bought a little mayo tuna nori thing in airport and I'm on the bus now and I'm hungry as fuck. Is it rude or whatever to eat it?
>>
>>1116607
Yes it's bad manners they will literally slap it out of your hands.

Eat it anyways.
>>
How hard would it be to smoke illegal substances in Japan?

(Marijuana)
>>
>>1116627
Just don't.. It's not worth it
>>
Hey guys, some friends and I are going to Japan in November and today I tried calling JTB travel to try and order tickets to the Ghibli Museum but I was told that they don't go on sale for November until the 1st of August. Is this true? Is there another way of getting them?
Also do they sell out fast like concert tickets?
>>
>>1116629
What do you mean exactly? Can you explain?

Let's just assume I am incredibly discreet and can get away with it. Like smoking when no one is around and it's dead in the night.
>>
>>1116651
Also assume I was able to successfully get it past airport security and all that mumbo jumbo to even have it on me in the first place.
>>
Hey /trv/. Me and some friends are going to Japan for 1.5 weeks and have some questions.
We are planning to mainly hang around Tokyo but also the suburbs around and Kyoto (although Kyoto is only for a day or two), so this probably means quite a bit of public transport. Is the JR Pass really worth it or should we just go with Suica all the way?
Also, considering my country (we are European) is "exempt of visa" (meaning I only need my passport in order to enter country), is it worth that I get it stamped with VISITOR in the local Japanese consulate?
Finally, how do you guys get around accessing your money in Japan. I plan to mainly pay things with cash/Suica but I'd like to know where I can go to in order to quickly withdraw some money.
Thanks.
>>
I'm lucky enough to have a hotel smack dab in Shinjuku where I don't have to worry about the late night subway, but I only have one night
Whats a good strategy to blitz the night
Are there any clubs that play super eurobeat
>>
Tomorrow starts my 48h journey to Japan. I'll get on the bus at 2pm tomorrow and arrive at my hotel in Tokyo at 8pm on sunday.

I'll keep telling myself it was worth saving 150€ instead of flying from a airport near my hometown
>>
>>1116664
>Are there any clubs that play super eurobeat
Oh god, that would be awesome.
Here with my gf atm so will never see the inside of a club :/
>>
>>1116671
If you spend those 150€ on something nice in Tokyo it probably will be.
>>
>>1116657
Please check the OP. Go to any 7/11 to withdraw money. Easy as pie.
>>
I'm going to Taiwan for the summer but I'm stopping by in Tokyo for about 72 hours before going there. I've been to Japan and Tokyo before and spent about a week there so it feels like I've seen the mayor touristy things. I'm not interested in Akiba and those kind of things that much so does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do instead?
I'm thinking about maybe doing a daytrip to Nikko or some other place close to Tokyo to see something else, is it a place to recommend?
>>
>>1116545
I got my tickets for $400 from Europe.
>>
Just finishing up my first night, I didn't realize how many izakaya there were. I knew there were some but this many astounded me. It's pretty cool, especially when I'm getting served by a qt high schooler with way too much blush/lipstick

also mfw whoever used the pocket wifi I'm using now was banned for a year but I'm the first one to see the ban message since then so it went away
>>
>>1116651
>>1116652
sure if nobody sees or notices it you won't get struck by lightning. but if they do they will call the police and you will face 1-3 years in prison/hard labour or be deported.
>>
>>1116604
how the hell did you stay there for 2 months on 2k. did you have a host family?
>>
File: OhcAvkQ - Imgur.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2176) Image search: [Google]
OhcAvkQ - Imgur.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2176
Anyone else worried for the big quake?
>>
Since I ended up underspending in Tokyo, I was considering indulging myself with either a kaiseki in Kyoto or some wagyu beef in Kobe/Osaka. Anybody here had both could tell me what would be better?
>>
>>1116695
In three days you can see a pretty good amount of stuff. Some of he things I enjoyed the most were the temple in harajuku and the surrounding forest, as well as the imperial east gardens. If you are looking more towards the big city aspect of it, kabukicho and golden gai in shinjuku are phenomenal.
>>
so for non asian people who have been there, is it true about the foreigner hate? i hear stories about cops giving you shit and things like that.
>>
>>1116753
Please don't explain what you mean by that
>>
>>1116767
Cops don't give hate. they might stop you on a quiet street at night and ask you what you're doing (politely), just don't be a douche.
>>
Anyone tried getting a working visa for Japan? Some ole site from 2008 said it's easy to get as long as you give details about your destinations and housing. It doesn't even have to be true, it just has to look like you've planned thing properly. However I'm not sure how things are these days.

Canadian btw
>>
>>1116442
Honestly I would just write the first point of contact. (you only have space for one anyway)

The main reason they have for that is for illegal stays. Passport and bio's get scanned on entry, checks leaving date.

If you not gone by whatever your landing card / visa permits (60-90' days from most countries), they might contact that place like "where the f is anon? we coming to throw him out" I wouldn't worry.
>>
>>1116787
*working holiday visa for Japan
>>
>>1116787
You need a company sponsor.
>>
>>1116789
Oh, should be easy. Just have enough money, don't know how much it is but it helps if you can show them you can make it rain.

Have a good reason. Knowing some or a lot of Japanese will make it easy.

Don't work in nightlife or seedy shit. You should be good.
>>
>>1116791
I got fat stacks in the bank so I'm good on that front. I know they usually expect around 4000 dollars in liquid cash.

What would you suggest for a reason? I'll say I want to learn Japanese, which is true, but I also want to find a teaching / tutoring job while I'm there.

I'm teaching in Korea right now so hopefully that helps me show that I'm serious about it too
>>
Has anyone tried Hakushu in Shibuya? Looking for a good wagyu beef place in Tokyo to dine by myself, willing to spend whatever.
>>
>>1116767
I've been asked by a cop once why I'm taking pictures. That was in a more remote part of Tokyo though. I responded with really crappy Japanese and then he was on his merry way.
>>
So how does the JRPass work? Is the two week one, 5 days of unlimited free transport or is it actually two weeks of unlimited transport? Websites are confusing me.
>>
If it's the two weeks pass, you can take JR trains for free for two weeks
>>
>>1116627
>>1116651
druggys are so delusional
>pot's not addicting! so what if I can't stop for a 2 week vacation!
>>
I'll be in Kobe /osaka area what kind of train pass is there for local? anything to recommend?
>>
So my friend and I finally made it to Japan and we're staying in Shinjuku. We're totally clueless though, do any gentle souls want to meet up? We were thinking of going to aki
>>
How does one not get lost if they do not have a smartphone?
>>
>>1116541
kanazawa, shirakawa-go, takayama and kamikochi are places worth visiting nearby. i haven't been to any of them yet but they all seem interesting and are on my list
>>
>>1116817
Sorry anon it's not about stopping for 2 weeks its about keeping it up for 2 weeks.

>I don't have an addiction.
>Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
>No, I won't stop smoking weed.
>>
>>1116871
Dude you should totally take it. The risk isn't that bad
>>
>>1116837
I'm going to aki today for a while, I'd be down to meet up assuming you're not autistic lol
>>
>>1116846
The major rail stations have visitors centers, they can provide maps and route info a lot of the time.
>>
>>1116837

How long you there for senpai? I touch down with a mate Sunday morning, staying in Shibuya.

Double date?
>>
>>1116871
Why go to a foreign country and spend money to smoke weed, if you aren't even going to try their local grass? You could just stay at home and get high for cheaper.
kek
>>
>>1116902
If I get the chance to try the local weed I would love to.

I am skeptical as to how good the weed in Japan would be though. Would be nice to bring my own 'quality stash.'

>You could just stay at home and get high for cheaper.

Why the hell would I want to 'stay at home?'
This is /trv/ for fucks sake.
>>
>>1116909
dude weed lmao
>>
>>1116909
International Pothead Association. Make it happen.
>>
If I buy an East and Kansai Pass, can I board the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto for free?
>>
File: 1446973668929.gif (182 KB, 350x255) Image search: [Google]
1446973668929.gif
182 KB, 350x255
>>1116916
I won't let you down senpai.
>>
>>1116651
>>1116651
if you can get weed without getting caught, smoking it will obviously be no problem. People there wouldn't even know what it smells like. Just smoke it in a semi private place.

Your posts are 100% troll though so no idea why i'm responding to you. Literally noone would be worried about the actual smoking instead of obtaining the weed if they were a mj user. I'd be willing to bet $100 you've never even tried weed for this exact reason. It reminds me of something I might've thought about myself 5 years ago when I hadn't smoked weed yet.

Like a couple months after me and my friends started smoking we were smoking city joints while walking to clubs on the weekends not really giving a shit. People who recognize the smell don't give a shit and people who don't it doesn't cross their minds. All you need to do is not smoke somewhere where cops walk on the street. In my city that's literally only downtown where the clubs are late on weekends.

People generally stop being afraid of getting caught smoking immediately after they start and know how it affects them. You're bullshitting.
>>
File: 1353847137814.jpg (40 KB, 316x311) Image search: [Google]
1353847137814.jpg
40 KB, 316x311
>tfw going Japan in summer
>Start sweating and having nervous fits just at the thought of flying

H-how good are Japanese airplanes and pilots??
>>
>>1116932
Go to your doctor and get some benzos. that's what i'm doing.
>>
>>1116932
>flying is extremely safe
>still have fear pilot will say fuck it and crash into a mountain because he feels sad
I know that feel. I'm more worried about the flight out of the US than the JAL flight back, because I heard JAL is awesome. I'm just thankful I'm not flying in the middle east
>>
>>1116935
Yeah like, it's not that I'm afraid of flying. I'm afraid of fucking crashing / getting hijacked / blown out of the sky by radical Islamist.

Just imagine sitting in the plane, being helpless as it races to the ground without you being able to do anything. Must the be most horrendous feeling in the entire world knowing you're about to die.

That's why le flight vs automobile accidents statistics doesn't matter to me, because if you're in a car-crash it happens in a blink of a second and you either survive or die.
>>
>>1116936
>Not picking the seat closest to the parachute and door
Just hope you don't get stuck in the middle of the ocean.
>>
>>1116932
Planes are actually the safest way to travel.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36333664
>>
>>1116936
or you crash your car, burn, get extracted and hospitalized and barely survive for 600 agonizing hours before eventually dying from blood poisoning.
le flight vs automobile accidents doesn't matter to you because you're afraid of flying
>>
>I'm not afraid of flying
>I'm just afraid of crashing

OK champ
>>
>>1116834
I got the JR west for osaka area.
>>
>>1116931
Yo relax for a second.

I'm not bullshitting I was genuinely curious how the crowd would take it over in Japan if I were to smoke weed. Discreetly.

I mean here in fucking southern California I smoke literally fucking everywhere.
>>
>>1116664
Lots 20 years ago. None that I know of today
>>
File: 1454362336846.jpg (105 KB, 498x614) Image search: [Google]
1454362336846.jpg
105 KB, 498x614
>>1116768
Basically, there are multiple predictions that the Kanto region, specifically under Tokyo, is due for a big >7.0 earthquake with dates ranging by 2017 to the next 30 years.

Considering the recent quakes in Kyushu, near Tokyo a month later, and another one by the Iwo Jima islands. It's been weighing on my mind if it's gonna arrive sooner rather than later. What sayeth y'all?
>>
>>1117032
Looking forward to it tbqh

Let's hope it happens during the next two weeks. I always wanted a real adventure!
>>
>>1116423
kanto is where i caught my first pokemon
>>
Anyone ever visit Hokkaido?
>>
>>1116887
do they speak English?
thats awesome either way. What counts as a major rail station, does "ueno station" in tokyo north count?
>>
File: 445786.jpg (617 KB, 3200x2296) Image search: [Google]
445786.jpg
617 KB, 3200x2296
Why is every guide book to japan awful? I'm looking for basic tips, like where to cross the street, train machines, etc. A listing of hotels and tourist traps is not helpful.
Example:, a good guide book for NYC told me how to walk fast and jaywalk. It seems like a small thing but it's not commonly allowed in a lot of other places, and really makes you fit in better.
Just contextual stuff.
Lonely planet was useless. 10 pages on ski resort listings, lol.
anyone suggest a good guide for foreigners to japan?
>>
Is it true that japanese girls like being pet on the head playfully?

Like a way of flirting...like the equivalent of playfully poking someone in their side?

This question came out so dumb.
>>
>>1117107
What a fucking faggot.
>>
What are some entry level memes? Some that even a gaijin could use
>>
>>1117107
That's cause it really is, what the fuck dude...
>>
>>1117107
Yes, you should do this to every girl you flirt with and tell us how it goes.

>>1117091
No. Never.
>>
>>1117110
>>1117114
>>1117121
JESUS A SIMPLE NO WOULD OF BEEN FINE.

But I will legit try it out when I go to Japan and will post back here to let you guys know how it goes. No bullshit. Yeah stay tuned.
>>
>>1117098
The hard and fast thing about Japan is that people follow the rules unless they're drunk as shit and even then usually they do.
>>
>>1117124
And just so you guys know here's where the idea comes from

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-fates-removes-petting-mini-game-in-the-west/

Most of the stay will be based on their cartoons and video games and this is where that idea came from.
>>
>>1117126
Ignoring your stupid article, imagine reading an article like that about American girls in an American context and realize how dumb that shit would be.
>>
>>1117107
>muh chinese cartoons
>>
>>1117124
>WOULD OF
>>
>>1117126
The idea also comes from certain anime as well.

Not that I would know.
>>
>>1117126
>>1117136
I mean, way before that game even came out, of course.
>>
Going to yurakucho was a mistake. Was pretty bored there
>>
Last weekend in Tokyo what do?
>>
Whats the best way of spending 9 days in Jepen?
>>
>>1117156
Awake
>>
>>1117152
Get wasted then call someone on the train and speak very loudly for about two minutes then hang up and proceed to have staring competitions with any sour old people blamefuly looking your way.
You only win if you leave the train not feeling guilty whatsoever. Godspeed
>>
>>1116932
See your GP and get some valium. Its the fucking bomb.
It almost feels like cheating, when I skip onto the plane and fall asleep, waking up when we land.
>>
Where are all those crazy KitKat flavors I heard about? So far I only found the normal ones and the (absolutely addictive) matcha ones. Are they all limited editions or am I looking in the wrong places?
>>
>>1117206
You should be able to find the cheesecake and dark chocolate ones at least.
>>
>>1117156
Eating as much as you can.
>>
>>1117152
Go to a baseball game at Meiji Jingu Stadium. I just got back from my first game and I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>1116837
Saw you two today in Aki. You seemed pretty weird
>>
>>1117206
there's a Kitkat Store in Shibuya or Shinjuku as far as I remember that has dozens of different flavors being sold there
>>
>>1116932
this good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfh9-ogUgSQ
to this day no crew can do this shit
>>
>>1117241
>The elapsed time from the bulkhead explosion to when the plane hit the mountain was estimated at 32 minutes – long enough for some passengers to write farewell messages to their families.[7][22] Subsequent simulator re-enactments with the mechanical failures suffered by the crashed plane failed to produce a better solution, or outcome; none of the four flight crews in the simulations kept the plane aloft for as long as the 32 minutes achieved by the actual crew.[7]
Damn
>>
>>1117243
most casualities were for exposition, the rescue attempt was weak as hell
>>
Tips on going to any happening clubs as a lone female? And places that are foreigner friendly?

I've read a bunch take your info and I don't want to give a lot of personal info away God forbid I be found out or something.
>>
>>1117306
now I don't have a lot of experiences with happening bars, but I highly doubt somebody would give your information away there
>>
>>1117241
the caption seconds before it hits the mt "it's the end!"
>>
>>1117306
I'm also interested in this. I don't want to go to Roppongi at all since I hear that's where all the Nigerians and American military guys go. I heard Shibuya had good clubs but most on here say that the party doesn't really happen until the last train takes off
>>
Have any of you done the Alpine Route from Nagano to Toyama? Is it worth it? How about in the summertime?

My current tentative itinerary looks like this:

Day 1) Fly into Tokyo
2) Tokyo
3) Tokyo
4) Tokyo
5) Travel to Matsumoto/Nagano (3.5 hours)
6) Do the Alpine Route to Toyama (~8hours)
7) Travel from Toyama to Kyoto (3.5 hours)
8) Kyoto
9) Kyoto (Possible day trip to Koya)
10) Kyoto
11) Travel to Osaka (1 hour)
12) Osaka
13) Travel to Hiroshima (2.5 hours)
14) Hiroshima
15) Fly out of Hiroshima

Any thoughts?
>>
>>1117362
Make one of those Kyoto days an Osaka day. 3 days in Kyoto is a bit much and Osaka has a lot to offer. The big sites in Kyoto can be done in 2 days easy.
>>
Would it be weird for a foreigner to make a donation and pray at a japanese shrine?
>>
>>1117403
Totally. You shouldn't even go into the shrines.
>>
>>1117403
>>1117412
Also don't take pictures of the shrines.
>>
>>1117403
no
>>
>>1117403
Not any more weird to make a donation than to make a donation at a historic cathedral when you aren't Catholic. They have to maintain the shrine somehow.
Praying to a Kami you don't believe in is slightly weird, but not much more than, say, kissing the Blarney stone. I don't think the Japanese would mind.
>>
>>1117316
The first train is around 5 or so. Just party or hang out in mc donalds/freshness burger until then.
>>
Tfw the jet lag and general fatigue caught up today and I fell asleep for three hours in the middle of the day
>>
>>1117587
>dear 4chan today i had a nap
looking forward to your next blog post
>>
>>1117587
Shit happens. Took me until about the 4th day where I didn't need to take a long afternoon nap. At least you aren't me.

>tfw solo traveling anti-social weeaboo with no idea what to do at night
>>
>>1117587
>>1117593
Same here. During the first week I always got paralyzingly tired in the afternoons. Just gotta soldier through it.

>tfw solo traveling anti-social weeaboo with no idea what to do at night
At least be outside, man. You won't look back fondly on nights spent in your room.
>>
>>1117403
No. It's about as "weird" as a foreigner putting an Omamori on their backpack or something. It's more of a cultural activity than anything else anyway at this point. If you're in the vicinity of someone that's trying to flex their English skillz in front of their friends, people will even volunteer to show you how to do it.
>>
>>1117032
Eh, my flight is booked already and I'm not going to not go travel somewhere for the very vague fear of some unpredictable event.
>>
>am lone traveler, went to shibuya earlier tonight
>as soon as I get out of the station a group of europeans that speak english and live here in japan pull me into their group
>we go to the bar for a bit and drink to pregame for Ageha
>we get to the bus stop that takes you to it, theres a guy checking your ID there
>not let on because I'm a month away from turning 20
>trains are done running at that point (like 1 am)
>have to walk an hour and a half all the way back to iidabashi
>just got back now
It was fun while in the bar but damn that was painful.
>>
>>1117719
shit man this is my worst fear since i'm literally the same as you. 19 y/o, turning 20 in july and solo travelling around japan for 6 weeks. i really want to meet some cool but im sure they're going to be older and wanting to go to a club where i'll be the only one refused entry. legit considering getting a fake id
>>
File: brb-hanging-self.jpg (27 KB, 526x348) Image search: [Google]
brb-hanging-self.jpg
27 KB, 526x348
>>1117593
>>tfw solo traveling anti-social weeaboo with no idea what to do at night

this is my biggest problem desu. I'm not a huge weeb or anything, I'm just not very good at being social and/or taking the initiative to talk to strangers. I'm planning on going to japan for a month in august solo but I dont know if it'd be worth it because I'm not sure if I'd be able to enjoy myself or not. I guess it'd be easier to find people to hang with if I stayed at hostels or used airbnb, which I'm planning on. Anyone here who had the same concerns when they travelled solo? how'd it go and so on...
>>
>>1117764
One month can get pretty lonely. You could try and attend a language school if you can afford it. If not, go to concerts, check out what's happening around you and find people to go with. Lots of fireworks going on in august. Maybe get in touch with people on couchsurfing. Airbnb isn't really a guarantee for social interaction.
>>
>>1117593
I'm going in October as a solo traveler (not anti-social, just friendless, maybe same thing?). I'm staying in Akihabara and I plan to walk to Ueno since I heard there are some pubs where one can just chill and it's not loud club scene like Ageha or Womb
>>
is global advanced communications the best pocket wifi? which ones have you anons used and which ones have you come to find to avoid?
>>
Am I correct that US iPhones can use iMessage and Facetime and voip calling via pocket wifi? I shouldn't have to do anything but make sure I get that and I'll be able to call home occasionally, right?
>>
>>1117746
>>1117719
On this note, anyone know of clubs that don't card you?
>>
>>1117719
>>1117746
literally turning 20 the day after i leave
>>
How easy to find/how sketchy are massage parlors in Osaka? Obviously not the regular kind
>>
>>1116551
Think you are fucked? It costs about 7K here in my country.

(You can find cheaper if you know how to do things but that's not the point)
>>
Now that I'm awake and sober I just realized how fucking expensive drinking has been here. I dropped 3500 yen total at two bars for 3 beers and a glass of whiskey. It's been real fun so it's worth it I guess

>>1117812
Am this guy
>>1117719
I'm using global and it's been great. The battery has lasted me pretty much all day every time I've gone out, and its reliable. I'm using the mid tier one and there have been no connection problems. Using that + google maps has been a godsend for when I get lost or when I have to walk all the way to fucking iidabashi from Shibuya kek

>>1117820
I dont use those specifically since I'm android user but whats app has worked great so far. Turned my phone on airplane mode and I use that

>>1117844
>>1117844
Would like to know as well

>>1117857
;_;
>>
>>1117874
Dude just buy $1 beers at cafe 7/11 and get a good buzz going, my brother and I have been doing because we are both degenerate alcoholics and we have spent sooo little money on booze, that being said were going out in Kyoto tonight, if anyone is out here be on the look out for 2 degenerates
>>
>>1117820
Yes, it works on an internet connection so I've been able to text and facetime with my US friends with iphones.
>>1117812
Another option to consider is a data sim card. Saves you the hassle of having to carry around another device. I got one on the NTT docomo network and it has worked flawlessly everywhere I've been.
>>
>>1117879
im not really sure if i can use a data sim on mine, i have a galaxy s6 plus, and im not done paying it off either
>>1117874
econnect japan seems pretty cheap, im going to look more into these i guess
>>
>>1117883
Ah that's true, you need an unlocked phone. Your phone model would definitely be supported though.
>>
>>1117889
oh, thats good to hear, also it seems i can also ask tmobile to unblock my phone. the next question is which is better to have anyways, the sim card or the wifi
>>
Arghhh arrived this morning. Dragged bags through monorail, subways and metro systems up and down stairs. Get to hotel 7-8 am not allowed to check in till 2. Walk around a bit, too jet lagged to do anything. Just sitting around wasting a day in Shibuya now waiting to get a shower and sleep.

Great start to a holiday.
>>
i'm a european pretty boy, any chance i can get work in a host club? I'll be in tokyo for 3 weeks, 2 of the weeks i'll be winging it. In my head they'll give me a tryout for one night for shits and giggles, if I deliver they'll fix me up with a work permit.

A lot of the women who go there have a lot of money right, surely some of them fit into the combination of speaking english at an ok level and preferring the Aryan look.

I do not speak a single sentence of japanese but I do know what most the common words mean to express your emotions. for this to happen though i'll have to find a host club with a manager who speaks english.
>>
>>1117924
No.
>>
>>1117894
If you are traveling solo and mostly in urban areas, the sim card is better. One less device you need to carry around and worry about the battery dying. The pocket wifi is better for sharing in groups and in more rural areas.
>>
>>1116549
bump, i slept in many airports in western europe, does this fly in japan?
>>
Anyone know if it's acceptable to swim in the Katsura Gawa River in Kyoto? Or if it's clean enough
>>
>>1117946
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=6&country=Japan&city=Osaka&terminal=KIX

Looks like you'll be fine.
>>
>>1117952
Neat link, was worried they were strict or something.
>>
Mfw I've burned through 5000 yen worth of suica money in 3 days
>>
>>1117982
Very easy to do when you're sightseeing and paying for konbini/vending machine purchases with it.
>>
File: images.jpg (17 KB, 428x343) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17 KB, 428x343
Going to Japan with my wife in a few months for 2 weeks.

We plan to start in Osaka for a few days, followed by Kyoto for a day or two, Hakone for 1 night (2 full days) and then spend the rest of the time in Tokyo.

My wife is basically a normie and me as well for the most part, my wife is planning to see a lot of the standard touristy stuff but I am hoping to see some "weird Japan" shit.

I heard about a building that has general shopping on the first few floors that gets progressively creepier as you go up the levels (into like a whole floor with hardcore hentai) I am not particularly interested in hardcore hentai but I would certainly be fascinated to see whats on offer.

Also interested in seeing some panty vending machines (heard these don't exist anymore) as well as any other weird stuff.

Recommendations certainly welcome.
>>
>>1117876
Kek, I'll keep my eyes peeled
>>
>>1117900
I've never really done anything the first day when I went I think (one time I just randomly walked around till I found Ueno Park and the other time I bought some detergent and slept). Don't feel down just because you "wasted" a day, it's pretty common
>>1117950
maybe if you're up or downstream in bumfuck nowhere but within the city no
>>1117989
you might be talking about Mandrake with that building, certainly has a whole floor dedicated to Hentai (it's the big black building in Akihabara)
>>
Just arrived today in Tokyo after three days of no sleep. Germany to Paris to Amsterdam to China to Tokyo. I'm so tired I'm not even tired anymore.

The tokyo metro map fucked my brain. Thank god the very first person I asked about helping me out turned out to be a nice salarymen who got on my train and talked on how about he was backpacking in indonesia years and years ago. His english was quite good and we had a fun time.

To the Anon in Osaka - out date in two days is still happening, isn't it? I hope you're still there!
>>
Living in South Korea atm, thinking of living in Japan next year, can anyone comment on which they preferred? I'm scared that Japan is gonna be expensive as fuck and I won't be able to enjoy the same lifestyle as in Korea.
>>
Anyone down to club or barhop in shibuya/shinjuku tonight?
>>
>>1118041
I guess you are the same anon from a couple weeks ago? I will be in Osaka Tuesday and Wednesday so keep me posted. And congrats on finally making it!
>>
>>1116423
How do you get laid in Tokyo, and Osaka, and Kyoto
>>
>>1116423
Also what are some good upscale sushi restaurants in Japan, I'm talking 10000 yen
>>
>>1118062
how do you get laid at home?
>>
>>1118062
Just whip out your giant gaijin penis and let them suck it
>>
>>1118070
I dont
>>
>>1118081
there you go then
>>
I'm from the US going to Japan for the first time in a few months. Is it ok to bring a probiotic and pepto bisbol (both OTC meds) with me? I have some IBS, so I'm worried about not being able to eat anything without a stomach ache later.
>>
>>1118092
I brought a bunch of painkillers, sleeping pills and such and no problem. Isn't peptobismol a liquid? If so, it has to ve under 100ml
>>
>>1118095
There's tablets, and I usually buy those. Did you put all that in your carry on?
>>
>>1118098
Yeah. Solid medication is allowed, OTC or not.
>>
>>1118070
By talking to girls in my native English language to women which are culturally more loose than in Japan - both of which are a bit of an impediment I presume in Japan
>>
If I'm getting a JR Pass, is there any reason to get a Suica card?
>>
>>1118119
Yes, JR pass is only for JR trains. While very useful, most inner-city rail systems are not owned by JR.

IC cards like suica work on any of the million differently privately owned rail lines in almost every Japanese city, so they are by far the most useful.

JR pass is primarily useful because it saves money if you want to use the bullet trains a lot
>>
>>1118070
>>1118081
>>1118084
DEJA VU
>>
>>1116545
Free because of the military;^)
>>
>>1118106
I guess you're fucked then, there are no English speakers in japan and no loose girls out of 50000000
>>
Bit of an odd question here, but what budo equipment manufacturer would you recommend in Tokyo or Kyoto?

Mainly looking to buy a new hakama/gi, as well as well as replacement shiai blades for naginata.

I was thinking of heading to Tozando in Kyoto, since I want to purchase Naginata equipment, but wondering if you've got any you would recommend for their good quality?
>>
>>1116545
starting my first job in summer and have 25 days of holidays/year + almost non existent expenses so a Japan trip every year seems possible
>>
>>1118062
Look up gaijin friendly soaplands. Prepare to pay over ¥20000 though.
>>
Usually I dont care about having a gf or anything, but here I get major tfw no gf feels. Everywhere I go the girls are really cute, and are holding hands with guys, even middle schoolers and high schoolers have their bfs. Maybe the less attractive girls aren't out and about kek
>>
Is it possible to buy a suica or similar card wirh credit card somehow?
>>
>>1118352
I mean probably, but those things cost 1000 yen or so, so why?
>>
>>1118353
in short, Money problems
>>
>>1118359
>going to japan with money problems
>>
File: 1407639464554.gif (1022 KB, 338x234) Image search: [Google]
1407639464554.gif
1022 KB, 338x234
I live in Canada and I am looking to take a 2 week trip to Japan in September. Is it possible for one person to stay in Japan comfortably for two weeks on ~¥195000?
>>
>>1118379
That's more than ¥10000 per day.
Should be more than enough, unless your standard of "comfortable" is stupidly high.
And I'm considering that budget does not include plane tickets.
>>
File: 1405039871156.jpg (86 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
1405039871156.jpg
86 KB, 640x512
>>1118389

That number does not include plane tickets. I am aiming for a budget of $170 CAD per day. So it is doable? And no, my standard is not really high, I just want to be comfortable for my stay.
>>
>>1118360
>ive been here 4 years already
>youre a fucking moronic child
>>
>>1118393
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>1118393
>moving to japan to get money problems
how's the weeaboo dream going for you?
>>
>>1118393
>Been there four years without a suica card
>Asks here instead of seeing at a station
Sure mate
>>
>>1118046
Woah, I was under the impression that Korea and Japan were equally expensive
>>
IC Card/Suica/Pasmo have theor application on Android. At least on my Sony Xperia Z5 and Z3 it works. In this way you don't have to buy the card
>>
>subway arrives
>it's bursting full
>fuck it I'll just grab the next
>arrives 2 minutes later and is almost empty

That was strange. Also hyperdia kinda sucks. It gives me all sort of weird routes and tells me to catch another train while the train I'm currently riding takes me straight to me destination.
>>
Daily reminer the /trv/ japan general is actually worse than /a/, /jp/, /v/ and /b/ combined
>>
How's google maps in Japan? is it okay for public transportation (trains and buses) as well as for general purposes (sightseeing, navigating, etc)? Or are there better alternatives?
>>
>>1118503
I've been using Google maps for the past week and it has been excellent.
>>
>>1118503
It's great. You don't really need it for train stations since you can grab a map for free at the station, and those are useful as fuck, but navigating outside of it is super useful

>>1118504
You in Tokyo? Would you be down to barhop or club tonight?
>>
>>1118505
You that guy from yesterday?
>>
>>1118510
I am. I ended up not going last night because I was tired as hell, but now I'm gonna rest for a bit so I can pull an all nighter if it comes to that.
>>
>>1118513
>all nighter
Tempted, but need to get my train tomorrow not totally hungover. What district are you planning to hit?
>>
>>1118515
Any works but I was thinking Shibuya or Shinjuku
>>
>>1118517
I'm in absolute tourist mode and have no proper cloths for clubbing or even visiting a bar with me. Shorts and shirts only get you so far.

Welp, we still could get wasted in front of a vending machine. :^)
>>
I'm travelling to Japan in just under a years time for a month. Experienced solo traveller, not got a budget for this one.

However, after Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Nara I don't know where the best places to visit are.

I like food, sight-seeing and culture if that helps.
>>
File: 20160523_162223.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160523_162223.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
Going to be at the Kyoto Plaza hotel tomorrow and the day after. Does anyone have a good recommendations for clubs or "can't miss" stuff in the area?
>>
>>1118504
>>1118505
thanks.

Also, another question: I'm going to be staying in Kansai region for the summer (2-3 months) - Should I be getting an IC card (specifically, the ICOCA) instead of rail passes since they are for tourists visiting the area for few days? And how much does a train ride cost on average (within a region)?
>>
wtf is there to do solo past 8 if i dont speak japanese
>>
Where can I get a rough itinerary for a 2 week trip to Japan?

Only got the flights and don't want to spend the money going through a travel agent booking all my activities.
>>
>>1118540
Do it..yourself?
>>
>>1118541
There must be some sorta itinerary that I can copy
>>
>>1118538
Buy beers from 711, walk around happening places and get fucked up
>>
Things to do in Osaka? I have all tomorrow to do shit
>>
>>1118544
From what I've gathered, see the castle, eat good shit
>>
>>1118544
Meet up with the other Anon and me!
>>
File: matsumoto_castle_cityoffice.jpg (157 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
matsumoto_castle_cityoffice.jpg
157 KB, 500x375
>>1117362
Haven't been to Toyama but I loved Matsumoto when I went there. I went in the fall though and the train ride from Nagoya was really great.
>>
>>1118518
Sure man I'm still down, just woke up from my nap. Gonna eat something first and then we could me up
>>
>>1118549
That depends, are you 2 weebs?
>>
>>1118554
You around the tokyo big sight? Just arrived from shibuya back in my hotel and it's just about 1km from here. Haven't explored it at all yet and it seems like a nice place go get semi drunken. Plenty of 27/7 shops around as well

>>1118556
Can't talk for the other Anon but I'm not. Sure, I like my chinese cartoons just as much as the next guy but it isn't the main reason for my trip to japan
>>
>>1118556

Depends,
1. Are you a senpai?
2. Will you notice me?
>>
>tfw you're inside before 8pm

Fucking loser I am
>>
>>1118570
Nothing wrong if you got up very early and had fun over the day, Anon
>>
>>1118554
>>1118566
Nevermind, bro - time for bed for me. Just hit me like a train. I hope you still have fun tonigt!
>>
Are the arcades enjoyable for a little while if you have a minimum knowledge of japanese?

If yes are their any good ones in Tokyo?
>>
>>1118591
well yes they're just arcades only with an incredible number of machines. i guess you like them if you like arcades? there are plenty in akihabara
>>
>>1118592
literally never been to one, just curious as they do seem fun. I'll look around for them in Akihabara then.

Thanks for the tip!
>>
Where can I find cheap/independent callgirls in Tokyo/Osaka?
>>
>>1118542
japan guide has example itineraries
>>
>>1118591
They're fun as hell and all the ones I've tried (rhythm games) have instructional vidfeos at the beginning that are easy enough to understand

>>1118580
I'm glad you weren't waiting on me, because I've had this weird problem with my pocket wifi where some days I'm range banned on 4chan, so I couldn't post to tell you where I was kek. Had a decent night, got 7/11 beers and walked around Kabukicho which was pretty fun, then went near clubs in Shibuya but pussied out since I couldn't find a group to go with and I didn't want >>1117719 happening.
>>
>>1118538
Depends on where you are, but if you're in a major city then there's tons to do. Just go out and follow the sounds of crowds.
>>
Any nice campsites outside of Kyoto?

What are the laws regarding foreigners fishing? I would just like to set a line out at a river and see what I can find.
>>
Should I go this fall or next spring for my first trip?

Fall seems good because of the foliage and it seems like it would be a less busy time comparatively.

But those cherry blossoms...
>>
You're supposed to eat sushi fish side down yea? Either this old guy gave me props or called me a total fag
>>
>>1118837
If you can go for Halloween then go in the fall. If you can't Spring is better because of hanami season but its hard to plan a trip around them.
>>
>>1118838
You're supposed to dip it in soy sauce fish side down, but nobody ever said anything about which way to eat it
>>
To the anons in Osaka, should we meet sometime this afternoon in Namba? I will be carrying my pocket wifi so just hit me up.
>>
Who's also going for Tokyo 2020?

What can I do in these four years mean time? Already started learning Nihongo.
>>
File: single_to_double.gif (2 MB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
single_to_double.gif
2 MB, 500x313
>>1118853
I want to see Olympic Wrestling, but I also want explore the nation. Are the Olympics worth it? I really want to see wrestling or the opening/closing ceremony, but I don't want to be surrounded by all sorts of travelers booking up every hotel/hostel/airBNB.
>>
>>1118847
I'm still on the Shinkansen, going to take a while till I'm there. Need to get my baggage to the hotel as well, I guess it will take me till 5pm at least
>>
>>1118838
>>1118842
aksuchuchually you're supposed to eat it with the fish down because of the temperature difference between your tounge and the rice ruining your experience or something
>>
Finally got an interview for an English gig, how do I not fuck it up?
>>
>>1118877
Be energetic and emphasize your flexibility. And smile like there's no tomorrow.
>>
>>1118879
About what I'd expect but it's nice to see someone else say it.
>>
I'll be travelling to Japan in a month, but my travel partner will be leaving early, so I'll be alone for 5 days. If I want to meet people, where should I spend them? I was thinking about heading down to Hiroshima, but it might be easier to find travel companions in Osaka/Tokyo.
>>
>>1118847
>>1118860
Just checked in my hotel. The view from the 42th floor is beautiful.

Haven't eaten at all yet today, you up for looking up a neat place to eat? Could get going in the next hour!

Currently near bentencho sub/railstation
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.