[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ghana Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
I've lived in Ghana for about 8 months now, yesterday I and some friends hiked up Wli falls, which are the highest in West Africa.

Sadly the night before I cleared a bottle of Jameson so I was well and truly hanging, so much so I was shaking like a shitting dog. Any way, managed to do the hike in about 2.5 hours whilst vomiting 3 times. Honestly every one, if you want to feel the same dehydration and sickness of our colonial ancestors I suggest you follow my footsteps, especially the drinking. Also wear Adidas Dragons, that'll especially fuck you. Any way, ask some questions about Ghana to a whitey who lives here.
>>
>>1115239
Taste any of that pink chocolate yet?
>>
>>1115239
I know a relatively large number of black Americans are emigrating there, but would you recommend it for tourism?
>>
>>1115246
Yes and no, its the safest and most stereotypically West African country, so if W.Africa is on your bucket list do it. However make sure you have an exact list of what you want to do and keep your wits about you, don't ever let on you're a tourist.
>>
>>1115252
I'm black, how would that factor in?
>>
What's the city life like in Ghana? Any must-see attractions outside of the natural beauty of the area?

Also, how long do you intend to live in Ghana and how's the rent/local living?
>>
>>1115257
Not OP, but I went to Ghana in a group that included a few black people and the kids would shout "obronii" (white) at them just as much as they would us. I think it offended the black girl with Nigerian parents, but it wasn't just about skin colour, but also about the way we dressed, did our hair, the cosmetics/jewellery the girls wore, and so on. So they'll probably be able to tell you're not Ghanaian just by looking at you. That said, it doesn't really matter. The places I visited were all very safe and I didn't experience any hostility, apart from the odd vendor who got pissed off that I didn't want to pay the prices they'd raised tenfold in my honour. Take your normal precautions and you'll be fine.

>>1115266
I'd recommend Cape Coast, where I spent a few months. I didn't actually stay anywhere else for more than a few days so I have no idea if it's the very best city to visit for tourists, but I enjoyed it. You've got one castle in Cape Coast and another in Elmira, which were former slave castles built by colonisers, and are pretty interesting for a visit. There's a national park nearby called Kakum, and a few wildlife sanctuaries nearby where you can see monkeys, crocodiles, and more. There's also a pretty chill hostel/club situated on the beach called Oasis, which is fun for a night out.
>>
>>1115257
Not all that much, you'd still be a foreigner to them. Every one is black here so there isn't any comradeship so to speak of.
>Source - African Americans living here
>>
>>1115266
Well I live in Accra, I've been to cape coast once but I thought it was awful tourist based. Much like Ayia Napa in Cyprus cape coasts economy is mainly tourist based.

I would definitely recommend Accra. With many bars like Honeysuckle and decent clubs ranging from the very expat Firefly to the very local Bellaroma. Rent is awful, $5000 dollars a month for my two bedroom apartment, cost of living is generally on the higher end if you eat mainly imported things such as my self. You really have no idea of your western stomach until you come here
>>
In the cities, are the touts and harassment as bad as places like morocco or India?
I travel places by hitchhiking and wild camping, could I feasibly do this in Ghana? If I just wander through a village in bumfuck nowhere would I turn a lot of heads or would nobody care?

Have you been to other countries in the region, and how do they compare?

Also, would I be a complete fool to go without taking anti-malarials?
>>
>>1115282
Rent is awful, $5000 dollars a month
You're either joking or you put too many zeroes, right?
>>
>>1115280
So is it an advantage, disadvantage, or neutral?
>>
>>1115239
dating scene?
>>
>>1115292
From what I can tell it's not quite as bad as Morocco or India, although I've never actually been to them so I can't tell. You'll get lots of vendors shouting at you to try and advertise their goods, but they don't get aggressive or anything like that. My only slightly bad experience was at the big arts and craft market in Accra - some rasta came over to me as friendly as you like, welcomed me to the country, asked me whether I was enjoying myself, etc etc. Eventually he took me over to his stall and started advertising his stuff, which ranged in price from £5-200, which is quite a lot of money in Ghanaian terms. I wasn't going ot buy any, but my Ghanaian friend came over anyway and told the guy (in twi, a Ghanaian language) that his products were inauthentic and he was trying to rip me off. Before I knew it they were shouting at each other, and I got kicked out of the stall and told not to come back. Wasn't really threatening though, was pretty funny.

To be honest, if you're white then you'll turn heads pretty much everywhere apart from central Accra. Kids will come up to touch your skin, play with your hair, and ask you for money. I guess this will be most common in rural areas where they may never have seen whites before, but I'm not certain on that. I'm not sure about how safe wild camping is. I didn't experience any crime personally, but I was talking to a couple of Canadian girls who said they were robbed at gunpoint (with AK47s, which were probably fake, but still). I also witnessed a man getting beaten for robbing a store, and my friend told me completely seriously that he'd probably be beaten to death before the police decided to intervene. Yes it's one of the safest African countries, but it's an African country nonetheless and they can still be a bit volatile. Personally I wouldn't want to risk camping but I'm not that experienced an outdoorsman or traveller - if you're the Bear Grylls type then you'll probably be completely fine.
>>
>>1115292
Rural Areas are more friendly and welcoming, much like any where else. People here in Accra are very much on the make and are very used to exploring foreigners. I would recommend Malerone, its expensive but won't make you go insane like Larium. Compared to Burkina, who recently had a coup, (one of my closet friends is here because he had to flee during said coup, his house was burned down) Togo, which has an awful piracy epidemic and Ivory Coast which has been in and out of civil war for decades.

You'd turn heads anon but you'd probably be fine, its local police you have to worry about. Always stand your ground, it's about being the bigger man, looking them in the eye and saying "No, you will not take me to the Police Station as you have no charges and No I will not pay you any money"
>>
>>1115304
It's of the same disadvantage that being a foreigner would bring you, they might try to bond with you over it for the sake of trying to sell you something but that's about it.
>>
>>1115531
Hookers and local girls trying to get a passport and a quick buck. We also have a problem with European pedo's coming out on sex tourism. Nasty shit for which a blind eye is turned far too often.
>>
If any of you ever do come out I'll happily meet you for a drink. However a word of warning, the sickness may very well fuck you. Within 8 months I've been bedridden 4 times, as of right now I've gotten back from having two drips and an antibiotic solution IV'ed into me. I've reached the new level of waking my self up this morning by shitting my self.

Africa can and will fuck you up. Oh and it's also a weed smokers paradise here, if you're into that.
>>
>>1115304
African-Americans are often seen as white, because 'white' means western and rich by local standards. You will NOT be regarded as an African, nor even a long-lost African brotha.

Whether that's an "advantage, disadvantage, or neutral" depends on you and your plans. I'd say you have the 'disadvantage' of not being white for passport chasers.
>>
>most stereotypically West African country

Out of curiosity, what does this mean?

I have been interested in visiting Ghana--and Africa in general--someday.

But I've also been interested in Nigeria, mostly because I like a lot of Nigerian (and Ghanian) music.

I hear Nigeria is not exactly a place for a beginner traveler though...I'm thinking more of Lagos as opposed to the currently war-torn north.

If you can at all speak on Nigeria, how would you say it compares to Ghana as a traveler's destination?
>>
>>1116020
Sorry, I'm new to travelling and the world of travel. What is a passport chaser?

Not the guy you replied to by the way.
>>
>>1116066
And I'm not him ,but it's women in third world countries looking for a westerner to marry them and take them back to the civilized world
>>
>>1116043
Haven't been to Nigeria, but I have a couple friends from there. Also have an ex from Ghana.

Ghana is one of the more stable countries in Africa in general, for what it's worth. There's an educated upper/middle-class, but poorfags too. It's got beaches, jungles, rebels, witchdoctors, evangelical Christians, Muslims, poverty, crime, malaria, hookers, sweet girls, different food, sweat-your-balls of weather, they speak English, have a semblance of infrastructure, are generally Western-leaning, etc.

Lagos is a fun place from what I hear, but there's a lot of poverty and it's incredibly crowded. A clusterfuck of constant corruption, noise, dirt, and petty crime. Don't bring along anything you'd be too upset at having taken away from you at gunpoint.

What musicians do you like? I really like old-school highlife (from both countries) and juju, some afrobeat and afro-jazz and so on, but that stuff is considered old people music there. Lots of over-autotuned R&B in modern music from the region.
>>
>>1115282
>$5000
>rent

Wut
>>
>>1116984
he probably meant 5000 cedi which equates to 1165 euro
>>
>>1115589
Mate that mob justice you just Described is what's keeping the streets so safe. It's definitely a good thing.
>>
>>1117036
I guess it's better than criminals having control of the streets, but I thought it was sad nonetheless. This guy wasn't some greedy criminal looking to exploit honest tradespeople, by the looks of it he was just some guy who was hungry and couldn't afford to pay for food anymore - I think he was only trying to steal a couple of loaves of bread. If what my friend told me is right, he may well have had his head caved in with a paving stone because of it (though he said it was more common in his city, Kumasi, than where we were). At the least, he got a pretty severe beating. Even though I undertsand why it happened I still thought it was pretty sad to treat a desperate man that way, especially in a country which prides itself on being so friendly and Christian.
>>
>>1117153
Poor people around the world tend to be less forgiving of thieves. Stealing the little shit they have makes it 'worse'.

But I agree. Mob justice is always kind of hypocritical.
>>
>>1117179
Also they read about how crime ridden other places are. Plenty of theives get lynched in Mexico,South Africa,etc.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.