[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sell Australia too me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: australian-flag-map.jpg (31 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
australian-flag-map.jpg
31 KB, 800x670
Someone sell Australia too me. My friend invited me on a trip to Aus for "about a month". I can get the time off work and I have money, but is it worth it? Australia just seems like a cultureless wasteland with lots of spiders.

What's the appeal?
>>
Ausfag here.
What are you into?
If you're into camping and swimming in rivers and waterfalls, then Australia is great. I haven't heard of any visitor here not loving it. There's also a shit load of pubs/bars and shit.
I guess you'd have to specify what kind of holiday you want for a more specific answer
>>
>>1113806
culture? is it just pubs?
>>
>>1113815
Ha, well, honestly no, not much culture here. Unless you want to check out the indigenous population and such.
But then again, that's just me, a different aussie might disagree wholeheartedly.
>>
>>1113790
Not OP but Australia seems to me the same as US but slightly off. Different animals. Different accent. Camping and stuff would seem the same. You can drink and party anywhere. What's the draw?
>>
>>1113790
Honestly, it's a beautiful country but to me, a lot of its appeal is the backpacker culture. And I think that gets missed by people just going on a vacation. Of course, with a month you could get a camper van and tour the country but otherwise I don't think city hopping is all that great.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ozzies and the country is a special place for me but for what you're spending, you could see the same stuff (except kangaroos) in other countries
>>
>>1113790
Do not go if you are not into the ''outdoors'' or drinking yourself stupid. It is expensive and honestly, there's not much to see. Go to New Zealand instead.
>>
>>1113790
Fuck off we're full
>>
>>1113790

>50 percent more expensive than the most expensive major cities in the U S
>Sub 20 crowd is a bunch of drunk faggots Iooking for ass whoopings
>Over 20 crowd is tattooed S T D machines
>Over 30 crowd is obsessed with them thinking their country is somehow the best
>AII of the women are down to get with a U S guy over ANY of their native drunk wife beater faggots, but bareIy any are worth staying with, reaIIy aImost none
>They think their obnoxious accent is somehow cuIture, and without it they have absoIuteIy no fucking cuIture to begin with

There's IiteraIIy no appeaI to the pIace at aII and it's a waste of a trip even if it's free. lt's just a shittier version of wherever eIse you are.
>>
OP, the people who say we don't have culture probably couldn't articulate what culture actually is anyway. I think people have conveniently been trained to associate very simple things like food and rain dancing with culture. While of course these things are cultural, they are just the most obvious things.

In reality, the majority of culture is vague and hard to define, especially for the people who live it day to day. In fact, if its overly easy for you to define a places culture, chances are its very unsophisticated and primitive. Culture exists everywhere, so if you can't define it for a given place, it doesn't mean its not there, it just means that places culture is more sophisticated.

Also, one has to remember that Western culture is global culture to an extent. I mean tell a Japanese man to define his culture and he will probably think of dressing up like a Samurai, tell him to define Western culture and he probably won't realise he is wearing a Western suit and tie..
>>
>>1113790
Australians are really rude, then men are arrogant, but the women are the absolute worst people you can ever imagine.

It's an OK place to visit if you have a lot of money and you keep to yourself.
>>
>>1113902
>hurr durr no culture
is itself a meme. Of course every place has culture. As you suggest, when people complain about "XYZ has no culture", all they mean is that it's not that different from what they know.

The predominant Anglo cultures also share a fair bit of overlap. Australia is a special case, because it is basically just an offshoot of lower-class British culture. In the USA, they mixed with natives, blacks, Mexicans and later more European immigrants, and got a different end product. To an extent, similar in Canada and South Africa. Australia and NZ meanwhile were pretty isolated and only mixed with themselves, so as time progressed they never really expanded culturally. It's just Footy and Beer, Sunburn Edition™.
>>
>>1113815
Yes.
>>
>>1113923
>when people complain about "XYZ has no culture", all they mean is that it's not that different from what they know.

Or that they never made an attempt to FIND it. "We had a wonderful time on the Jamaican resort, but really Jamaica has no distinct culture, it's just like home but with umbrellas in the drinks."
>>
>>1113902
>OP, the people who say we don't have culture

People who say Australia doesn't have culture don't mean it literally. They just mean its not particularly interesting culture. Nobody gives a fuck about your sports bars.
>>
What culture sets Australia apart from USA or Canada besides the kangaroos and prawns on the barbie?
>>
>>1114117
banter and ability to have a laugh
>>
>>1114124
dumb bogan
>>
>>1114117
I guess you've never seen an Abo wielding his traditionally scavenged stick. You uncultured swine.
>>
>>1114124
That's enough for me to avoid at all costs.
>>
>>1114124
Cruiseyness and lightheartedness about a lot of things. How is that not different culture from a stereotypical tight ass German? Rugby/Australian football is pretty huge. There's a very distinct fashion culture (I can recognize Australians anywhere. And I don't even mean that as an insult. I like the style). Food culture is pretty shit but so is Canada's as they're both young cultures. Imo this breeds gourmet immigrant food. Like ethnic food at Australian prices makes cuisine competitive/fusion restaurants are great. The backpacker culture is something else.

I don't know, to me their culture is an amazing quality of life. You can survive on part time (harder in Sydney though) doing the shittiest job. They're not overly hard working like north Americans and they sort of seem like they have time to live life. Everyone there can travel if they really wanted to (whethrr or not you guys hate their travel style or not) and to me that's a beautiful benchmark of a true first world country. The women are tougher than north Americans too Imo
>>
Don't come here, Australia is shit. It's incredibly expensive and also boring. In the city you won't do anything except drink and eat, its just your typical western city with a few old British buildings and shitty public transport. Once you see the aquarium and go to a game of footy etc you've seen it all. Just standard urban sprawls after that. If you wanna go anywhere go to Cairns
>>
>>1113923
You're pretty naive about Australia and New Zealand. On one count on dismissing the uniqueness of Australia as akin to being predominantly defined by supposedly inward looking and insular lower class british values. Secondly by even conflating Australia and NZ as being the same and to "have never expanded culturally" (what ever that means).

For one thing the type of Britons the settled in Australia and New Zealand are pretty different as while as the contexts in which migration had taken place. New Zealand was settled through planned and voluntary migration mostly the southern english middle classes which had a stronger sense of civil spirit (think of it similar to new england in that respect).

Australia had a larger proportion of forced migration (convicts) as well as northern english/scots/protestant irish (more to do with geography than class) more typical of the southern US which emphasizes individualism and suspicion of the state. Like the Southern US, Australia is a frontier society which helped pervade this attitude while New Zealand was too is much too small of a place to ever develop a similar complex.

Also Australia and NZ have vastly different approaches when it comes to race relations.

It's incredibly easy for outsiders not to know anything about australia and new zealand if they conflate their sense of culture to that depicted in popular media. unfortunately your type of uninformed opinion is seen away to often by antipodeans.
>>
>>1114262
You had some decent points but why the fuck didn't you just talk like a normal person?

Also, can you expand on race relation differences between both countries?
>>
>>1114262
tl;dr
>th-they're so completely different! I s-swear!
They're two peas in an inbred pod. Get over yourself, crybaby.
>>
>>1114302
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Wars

Its literally saying french canadians are the same as the french from new caldonia. We are completely different countries with a radically different history therefore attitudes to things. Aboriginals were never really war like whilst the maori beat the english to submission in cases. Maori culture is much stronger in new zealand and isnt seen a fringe thing. Their customs are still heavily practiced in the national public education system. For being such a 'traveller' you seem grossly ignorant.
>>
>>1114303
So whats the difference between canadians and americans?
>>
>>1114302
New Zealand was being settled around the time of the abolition of slavery was at it's zenith. The missionary movement was more important to the development of New Zealand than it was in Australia. The influence of the missionary movement was one of the greatest influences in forcing Briton to make NZ a protectorate insofar as to save the natives from drunk wailers, unscrupulous landbarons and the wily influence of the french Catholics that were encroaching in the pacific. Even then - when New Zealand effectively became a nation, it effectively legislated a form of biculturalism via the treaty of waitangi which in principle make maori legal/culture/social custom equivalent to that of British law. It was essentially a form of colonialism via soft paternalism enforced by British institutions of power and state machinery . Nevertheless the symbolism of egalitarianism shouldn't be sneered at.

In Australia there was no such veneer of egalitarism due to the economic potentially of the land resources australia presented. As the European settlements moved further inland you had the Frontier Wars whose fighter was much greater in scale than the New Zealand land wars and duration from the late 1700s to the early 20th century. Furthermore Australia politically speaking self defined itself as a monocultural state. Constitutional rights for aboriginals often fell on the federal level onto which to determine rights and privileges with predictable consequences. Queensland and Western Australia for example only gave aboriginals the right to be able to vote in the mid 1960s.
>>
>>1114310
Ask them.
>>
From the US and living in Aus for the last 6 months. The food sucks. The people are nice.
Easy as FUCK to live in (Melbourne). Incredibly casual vibe.

Also I lol'd at
"The predominant Anglo cultures also share a fair bit of overlap. Australia is a special case, because it is basically just an offshoot of lower-class British culture. In the USA, they mixed with natives, blacks, Mexicans and later more European immigrants, and got a different end product. To an extent, similar in Canada and South Africa. Australia and NZ meanwhile were pretty isolated and only mixed with themselves, so as time progressed they never really expanded culturally. It's just Footy and Beer, Sunburn Edition™."

I'm brown and I fucking peeled during summer.
>>
>>1114308
Lol yeah but that's nothing I didn't know already. Also, if I didn't know this how the fuck would you expect a traveller to know about every single country. Jesus, get your head out of your ass.

>>1114334
Thanks. Exactly what I was hoping for.

>>1114346
> brown
> lived in Melbs
> still peeled

Are you me? I've never had sunburn and got it for the first time in Oz
>>
File: oo.jpg (121 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
oo.jpg
121 KB, 720x480
>>1114310
cancucks- nipples look like hubcaps (COLD)
americunts- hubcaps look like nipples (actual and theoretical negros)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5A12o3vqOs
>>
Agreeable climate (if you can tolerate some heat)
Unique flora and fauna
Friendly locals (exceptions exist)
Easy women (assuming you're attractive)
Safe and easy to navigate tourism industry.

The main appeal is the unique and diverse (provided you can be bothered to travel the long distances) environment. If your main interests are man-made then it's not a good value choice for that.
>>
>>1113790
Lived in both Victoria and Queensland. Victoria is good if you like the city life as it's got a pretty casual night scene. Plenty of migrants there who own a shit ton of restaurants and cafes . Pretty good food there and always something to do. City is pretty big tho not by US standards. Shit weather that changes all the god damn time.

Queensland on the other hand is fantastic if you wanna do more outdoor stuff. Always sunny and the Gold and Sunshine coasts have some of the best beaches in the world. Visiting the Great Barrier reef is also a good idea before it gets destroyed. The Daintree rainforest is also beautiful.

Do not visit Queensland however if you're interested in the city life cause Brisbane is small and boring and the gold coast has a pretty rough nightlife scene.
>>
>>1113827
>like america, but without the republicans and gun culture
What's not to like?
>>1113859
>do NZ instead
If you're time poor this is great advice
>>1113890
>Aussie chicks fawn over Americans
lol
>>1114117
>What makes Australia different from US or Canada
Two questions. We're not that different from Canadians. Aussies get along best with either Irish, Kiwis, or Canadians. We seem to have a lot in common.
As for the Yanks... well, I guess that depends which part of Murrica they're from. Once you get south or inland you can pretty much fuck off. Tall poppy syndrome is at play there, we really don't like people who talk themselves up. Which can be hard to keep in check when you're convinced that you're from the GREATEST GAD DAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
>>1114250
>Aussie food culture is shit
Which part of Queensland are you from? Also, no. You're thinking of the UK
>>1114260
>Australia is shit
kinda, but it's a very, very easy place to live in spite of the high cost of living.
>Except Cairns
Oh you are fucking hilarious. Cairns is literally the shittest place within a 100 kay radius of Cairns
>>1114262
>Australia's level of convict settlement leads to suspicion of state
...as evidenced by the almost non-existent levels of suspicion of state
>>1114400
>>1114346
Skin cancer capital of the world, lads
>>1114897
...basically this

Australia is an easy place to live, and the high minimum wage usually makes up for the cost of living. I like it because I can live in the Burbs, play local footy, and piss off to the bush when I want to camp, ride dirt bikes or shoot things. It's not perfect, but it's not bad. IMO the whites VS blacks US problem doesn't really happen here. I'm not saying we're LESS racist, just that most people don't come into contact with Aboriginals, so the situation doesn't really come up.
Pretty funny that all the Yanks think Aussie chicks are sluts, cos all the Aussie blokes I know who moved stateside say the same thing about American chicks.
>>
NSW and VIC for the cities

QLD for the outdoors

SA, NT and Canberra are boring shitholes so don't bother

Haven't been to WA or TAS but I've heard good things about them.

You won't encounter any racism in the cities or suburbs but can be a very different story in the rural areas. Sydney and Melbourne are gay friendly but again not in rural areas, especially not in rural Queensland.

High minimum wage is good but it can be near impossible to get a job in the outer suburbs of the smaller cities like brisbane and adelaide. You wont have much trouble getting a job in sydney or melbourne though.
>>
>>1113815
I am sure you could find something cultural in Melbourne or Sydney in terms of theatre or live music.
>>
>>1114670
Underrated post.
>>
>>1114914
stop responding to every fucking post, you are literally a spec of dust, know your place.
>>
It's like Canada, only with better weather and less apologetic people. It can be a nice place to visit and a nice place to live, as well.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
>>1115059
>>
new zealand is better, because of these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCj_uRKOD0
>>
>>1115115
But Canada has Montreal, Vancouver and the Rockies. How can Australia compare?
>>
>>1113847
>backpacker culture

You really drank the kool aid on that one. All "backpacker culture" consists of is being ripped off left right and center, being tricked into working either for free or below minimum wage, lame "pub crawls" to bars that only have tourists in them, and paying way too much for a beat up van that won't run right. You seem like the kind of guy who says yes to anything he reads in a pamphlet.
>>
File: 059.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
059.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>1114262
>Did you know each time you use the word "conflate" your post becomes 25% more intelligent?
>>
>>1113815
Depends what you mean by culture.

If you mean history, and monuments and shit, then no.

If you mean music, art, food, then HELL YES. Melbourne is one of the best places in the world for this shit.
>>
>>1115059
kissy kissy ;)
>>
>>1115268
Canada has some nice cities, mountains, and a fuckload of forest. Australia has nice cities, Tassie is all mountains, and we have a fuckload of desert.
Plus we have actual beaches, so fuck you
>>
>>1113790
tasmania
>>
>>1113889
I was waiting for this,,lol
>>
>>1113890
This asshole must be American,
Jealous an aussie stole your missus,faggot
>>
>>1115571
MUH DIKK
>>
>>1114139
>>1114173
>having no banter
>>
Hi OP !

I'm assuming that you are a girl.

Australian guys all work out and are naturally built well, so competition for girls is tough here (and that's what we love, right ladies !).

You can really let yourself go and still have fit guys fighting over you. Love it !

Or if you are actually a guy then ur fucked OP.

Anyway hope that was helpful. I gotta go period !
>>
>>1115452
but you seem to lack nice people.
>>
>>1116207
I think it's really just the angry basement dwellers on 4chan in general. IME, seems most Canadians here on /trv/ are also self-loathing, provincial-minded, tall-poppy syndrome-suffering haters. Doesn't really match with my experiences of Canadians actually in the country.
>>
File: 1461728202235.jpg (2 MB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
1461728202235.jpg
2 MB, 1400x2100
>handsome
>elite
>muscular
>god tier Aryan genetics
>fashionable, trendy and timeless haircut
>high test
>2% body fat
>girthy 12 inch cock
>has several Nobel Prizes
>his equity in Google, Microsoft, Apple, BroncGODS Ltd give him elite dividend payouts meaning he does not need to work
>everyone wants to be his friend
>does not need a gf because so many women lust for him
>fucks super models daily
>literally invented Rugby League

Imagine being WalkGOD
>>
australia a shit
>>
>>1113815
Yeah there's sort of culture, no history though.

There's lots in terms of arts, fine dining, wine and shit in Melbourne bu there's also stuff in Adelaide and Hobart and probably Sydney to my knowledge. Except Sydney is slowly becoming the generic global city bullshit.
>>
>>1115443
>>1116635
Pretty much this. We have a lot of art which is great, very good food - much better than pretty well anywhere else I've been (this includes Europe and the US), and our cities are modern and gorgeous. I also think we have the best cafe culture I've ever experienced, there's a cafe on every corner that you can find a decently healthy meal from as well as a good coffee.

Australia is a very young country colonially speaking, but has one of the oldest (arguably the oldest) indigenous histories in the world.
>>
>>1116663
Classic Australian naivety.

They invented the stick. Such culture!
>>
>>1116667
You're a dickhead.
>>
>>1116670
Shut up and enjoy your coffee, m8. Nowhere else in the world has coffee or cafés, so at least you've got that.

Plus didgeridoos, the unwelcome gift to dirty crusty street performers around the world.
>>
>>1116663
Also I might add that Queensland is, from my experience, an absolute wasteland in terms of 'culture', every good thing about the state becomes tacky tourist shit flooded by chinks. Then again I only went to Cairns, Pt Douglas and Gold Coast on family holidays. The nature up there is unbeatable though, esp. in Pt Douglas where you can go from the reef to dense rainforest in literally like an hour.
>>
>>1113889
This to be frank.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.