[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stuff to do in Florida
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: orlando-florida.jpg (133 KB, 900x609) Image search: [Google]
orlando-florida.jpg
133 KB, 900x609
I am a 19 year old guy who's going on a 4 day trip to orlando florida with my father for a convention. One reason for my trip there has just been trashed and that puts a kink in my plans, now I need to think of more attractions to fill the time gap and make the most of our trip. Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do or see while we're down there? I've done a fair amount of google-fu but I was wondering if there were any other cool / recommended places. Anything at all would be very helpful and appreciated.
>>
>>1112745
Well, the Kennedy Space Center is about an hour east of Orlando. You can see a fully intact Saturn V rocket, among other things. ...then there are the major theme parks, of course. I'll provide non-price-related park tips (all you need to know is they are officially the most expensive theme parks on Earth, but people still pay those prices in droves because they are the best theme parks on Earth) if requested.
>>
>>1112745
you can easily spend 4 days at the universal parks alone
>>
If you have an entire day and a car, you could always check out a natural spring
>>
>>1112797
The space center sounds like something my dad would be interested in. I'm not sure how he (or I, really) would feel about a theme park, and our budget isn't that big, but if we need to we can work a park in. Having the option open never hurt anyone, so if you're still good on those tips i'd like to hear them.

>>1112937
I never thought of that. I'll have to see if there are any close-ish to the hotel we'll be staying at.

>>1112803
Oh i'm sure, but I want to experience a variety of things while i'm there.
>>
>>1113084
Former local here.
Good bars downtown. A lot of the places I went to have closed since I've left. But check out:

Redlight Redlight (good beer bar)
Stardust coffee (cool coffee shop/bar)
Sportstown (Dive bar with a bunch of games/pool)
Wally's (Old dive bar)
Uncle Lou's (grimey DIY punk bar)
Will's Pub (same)
I-bar (Good dancing)
Backbooth (good dancing)
Enzian (cinema cafe that hosts FLorida Film Festival and shows indies)
Jack Kerouac's house is there
Austin's coffee (24 coffee shop friendly people)
4 Rivers BBQ (really good BBQ)
Park Ave CD's (cool record store)
Rock N Roll Heaven ( cool record store)
Oblivion (Good pub food and free pool)
>>
>>1113230
>Wally's

This place made me quit drinking. It was like looking into the future if I continued with my bar fly lifestyle
>>
Even if you don't want to do theme parks, you can still do Disney Springs (formally Downtown Disney. Mostly shoppings and some good restaurants) or City Walk at Universal Studios (again, shopping and dining. Not as big as Disney Springs).

There's an Indoor Skydiving place at Orlando, but I can't recall the name of it. Pretty fun, but you'd probably want to book that ahead instead of just showing up.

If you like cats, there's a colony of cats outside of a 7-11, close to an outlet mall. They're all friendly, just skidish around humans. Some are feral, some seem to be abandoned house cats. I could give you the address if you're interested. There'll be a few out during the day, and at night they'll all be out chillin' in the parking lot. I've counted around 20 cats at times.

Like I said, there's an outlet mall, the Mall at Millennium and Florida Mall, if you just want to kill some time or shop.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. Like the other anon, I can answer some questions if you have any. I mostly just do the theme parks, so that's mostly what I know about Orlando.
>>
Is it megacon?
>>
>>1112745
Where from OP? Age? Will you have a car? Will you be basically alone all day bored while Dad is at a convention, ie evenings only to hang out?

Little known about downtown Orlando is some pretty frequent use concert nightlife venues, hipster and al fresco restaurants and such. Might also have fun at downtown Disney. And, yes within 1-2 hours of rest of Florida from Canaveral. If no car, probably have at least some shuttles from a major hotel to the sites, and if not, check a neighboring hotel.
>>
File: 124276_1280x720.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
124276_1280x720.jpg
186 KB, 1280x720
>>1113084
>if you're still good on those tips i'd like to hear them

Okay, then.

Now that I have kids, I like the Disney parks the best because 90% of the rides can be ridden by everyone, even toddlers (I also found a new appreciation for their steam train ride, as they use legit historical locomotives).

Besides Disney, the other heavyweights are the two Universal Studios Parks and also SeaWorld. I would be really interested in checking out the new Harry Potter section at Universal Studios Florida (the other Universal Park is Islands of Adventure), as I have not been there since my kid was born. There is already a separate Harry Potter section in Islands of Adventure that opened a few years ago, but it was such a gigantic success that they built a Harry Potter, Phase 2 area in the other park, and both sections are connected by a Hogwarts Express ride. It's genius from a business standpoint, because if you want to see all of the Harry Potter stuff, you have to buy tickets to both parks. Even if you are not a Harry potter fan, you can still appreciate the jaw-dropping job they did with it. They also have a newer Transformers ride and a new King Kong ride is opening this Summer. Also, another thing I have not seen yet is the new expanded Simpsons area. The highlight there is Moe's Tavern where you can get a Duff Beer and a Flaming Moe (yes, actual alcohol).

SeaWorld is a good park overall, also, but it doesn't have all of the movie tie-in stuff the other parks have. It has just as many big roller coasters as Islands of Adventure, though, and they are opening up Orlando's biggest coaster this Summer.

So yeah, I think the two Universal parks would be the best pick for you guys overall, personally.
>>
>>1113372
>>1113404
>Disney Springs

Word to the wise to OP: Disney Springs is in the middle of a big expansion and there is tons of construction going on. A very similar area is the bar/nightlife area at the Universal Resort called CityWalk, which has no construction, atm, afaik. When you drive to Universal Orlando, you get directed to the parking garages, then you take moving walkways to CityWalk. From there, it branches off into the two theme parks.

Insider tip: eat at the restaurants at weird hours (dinner at 4 PM, for instance). This will guarantee not having to wait several hours for a table. In CityWalk, I have been to Margaritaville, Emeril's, and Bubba Gump Shrimp, and of those I liked the latter the best. Super secret tip: the Emeril's restaurant in CityWalk is mediocre, BUT there is another restaurant run by Emeril few know about called Tchoup Chop in the Royal Pacific Hotel on the Universal property that is MEGA awesome. Best food I have had on Universal property so far.
>>
>>1112745
If you were 119 years old you would have a blast in Florida.
>>
Go to a beach on the west coast. It's calmer, now as crowded, and nicer in general. Don't expect a seabreeze
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.