[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Immigration Authorities and Name Spelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: passport control.jpg (76 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
passport control.jpg
76 KB, 620x388
Hey /trv/, I am looking for advice from anyone who has experience with name discrepancies on different documents in regards to immigration procedures.

I am from the UK, I have a French father and British mother. I have a French first name which is spelled with an e with an accute accent (é). On my British passport, I was unable to have the é in my name, so instead had to spell my name with a standard e. On my French passport I obviously have the é, likewise on my French record of overseas birth. Strangely I also have the é on my British birth certificate as well.

I am about to graduate from university and by Friday, I have to decide wether I want my name on my diploma spelled with a standard e or a é. I would rather have the é as this is the correct spelling of my name.

However I am worried as apparently immigration authorities often want the name on your diploma to directly match the name on your passport. I am planning on emigrating a couple of times before settling down and will need work visas for these countries, which will obviously ask for a copy of my degree. I am going to use my British passport for these work visas abroad, so would it be best to just spell my name with a standard "e" to avoid any confusion?

I have heard some horror stories about people being denied work visas for things as tedious as having a middle name on their passport, but not on their degree. (This was with Korean immigration btw, which is where I plan to move to teach English this summer).
>>
>>However I am worried as apparently immigration authorities often want the name on your diploma to directly match the name on your passport.

Then use your French passport for that?
>>
>>1110157
I can't as I want to teach English abroad. Many countries, like South Korea where I want to go, require that you apply for the visa using a passport from a native English speaking country.

I eventually plan on settling in Canada, but even though my conversational French is pretty good, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing a visa application in French.
>>
>>1110160
Never had this problem so I can't help.
My suggestion is to get in touch with the immigration office of the country you want to apply, explain your situation and ask how to proceed. Probably better than getting advice from /trv/
Or check if you really can't get a UK passport with your name written with é
>>
>>1110151
never had probles with that kind of stuff

imagine someone with Vietnamese name for example dealing with this, lol
>>
>>1110151
Hello OP

I am French-Aussie, have both passports.
One bears with é (although it's not supposed to have it because I was born in Australia and was registered without "é", the French version has it), the other with a simple e.

Nobody gives a shit, seriously. Especially not for a é, ë, è or whatever.
>>
File: Scruffy_2_9337.jpg (88 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Scruffy_2_9337.jpg
88 KB, 720x540
>>1110472
Second, should not be an issue. I have an accented "i" in my name that comes and goes on travel docs, nobody cares.

Make sure everything else is OK, I have had minor annoyances when my second middle name was in the last name field, that sort of thng, but so far it has all been easy to sort. Get it sorted BEFORE travel for maximum OKness.

But your problem don;t worry about it,.

>>1110166
>imagine someone with Vietnamese name for example
LOL, must be a nightmare if they hit somebody who cares...
>>
>>1110151
i've heard some official translations between different character sets (latinic, cyrillic, chinese, japanese, thai, arabic, etc) can be changed by a government, leading to noticeable changes in spelling. this can be an issue.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.