[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a lower-end daily budget including travel between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: fjords.jpg (89 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
fjords.jpg
89 KB, 630x420
What's a lower-end daily budget including travel between cities in Scandinavia? I've traveled like a hobo in Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe before so I'm used to roughing it, but I'd really like to spend some time in the more expensive countries of Finland, Sweden and Norway. Is $100 a day (excluding my flight into and out of the region) enough to stay in hostels, eat from grocery stores, and travel around?
>>
Hard to say, but I think that would be fine. Take me as a swede, when in Japan I usually spend around $94 a day excluding accommodations but felt like I was living like a king with the cheap food, restaurant food will be pricey in Sweden but groceries are fine.
Check out SJ for some travelprices by train, busses are a little cheaper but trains are worth it, rail isn't monopolized any longer so there are other companies too for intercity travel, I usually go with SJ though.
>>
>>1109781
$100 per day is enough to visit the cities if you stay in hostels, but in the countryside (in Norway anyway) there are no hostels and price-wise a lot of stuff is tailored for older European and American with money. If you want to travel in rural Norway on the cheap you gotta bring a tent and hitchhike or take local buses.
>>
>>1109952

Is camping free in a lot of spots like it is in the United States? I'd be there in summer so sleeping outside would be doable, but then there's the obvious problem of having a tent and transporting it around the country.
>>
>>1110062
http://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/travel-tips/right-of-access/
You can camp pretty much anywhere you want as long as you remember the unspoken rule of camping. Leave only footprints behind, take only memories with you.
>>
>>1109781
>tfw doing this right now

I'm assuming you're talking about USD, I'm Canadian and I'm doing it for about 70-80 USD a day I'd say.

Here is what I do:

>Use cheap hostels, though there aren't many
>Use couch surfing - I always meet great people on it
>Use AirB&B, your host can sometimes end up being cool and you can find cheap places that are decent sometimes
>Avoid eating out and drinking a lot, it's expensive as fuck up here
>buy your own groceries and eat shitty, cheap food that doesn't require much cooking
>>
>>1110062
there's an old law about camping in Scandinavia (at least in Norway): you can camp anywhere you want to, even in private property, as long as you stay 100 meters away from buildings. So you'll see tons of huge tracts of land fenced off, but you are allowed to jump the fence and camp, for a max of 3 days in the same spot, as long as you are not disruptive. Summer is not that cold, get a bike and do it.
>>
Not going to make a new thread for this.

I'll be traveling through Norway later this month and I need to get to Lysebotn from Kristiansand.
I have an interail pass but there doesnt seem to be a trainstation in Lysebotn.
Do I travel to a city nearbye or is there a better way of traveling there?

After that ill be traveling onwards to see the preikestolen, then trolltunga, then go to Bergen.

My googlefu is failing me so I hope some local can give me the best option to travel to these places.
>>
>>1111782
I know that you can take a bus from preikestolen to Trolltunga. Wish my ex and I knew about it when we were there. Also, the one hostel near preikestolen is easy to sneak in. You can camp halfway up to preikestolen and then just sneak into the washroom to have a hobo bath (using the sink). They also have a copy common room upstairs and you can get warm in there + play some board games
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.